Question About Missing Data

So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be
missing something here.  Some data on vendor numbers changed.  Let’s say IBM
used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789.  I
can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name.
Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows
12345 = 56789?  Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all
incidences of 12345 to be 56789?  Or, is there some other, method, like a
‘best practices for missing data’?

Thanks!
Ryan---

--
Ryan---
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"ryguy7272" <ryguy7272@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may
> be
> missing something here.  Some data on vendor numbers changed.  Let's say
> IBM
> used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it's vendor number is 56789.  I
> can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the
> name.
> Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access
> knows
> 12345 = 56789?  Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all
> incidences of 12345 to be 56789?  Or, is there some other, method, like a
> 'best practices for missing data'?

I would run Update Queries to fix the problem, but either method should
work. It worries me when you say that you are missing data. Why would data
be missing. No one should be able to change a key if your relationships have
been properly built.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
4/8/2010 4:28:32 PM
I the changed data an autonumber field? Autonumbers will not stay the same.
As you add or delete records they change. They are just to be unique.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be
> missing something here.  Some data on vendor numbers changed.  Let’s say IBM
> used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789.  I
> can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name.
> Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows
> 12345 = 56789?  Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all
> incidences of 12345 to be 56789?  Or, is there some other, method, like a
> ‘best practices for missing data’?
>
> Thanks!
> Ryan---
>

> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
Thanks for the responses, golfinray and  Arvin.  I don't think I gave enough
information.  I am about to start building this DB, based on information in
several Excel files.  I don't think AutoNumbers are the solution, but
perhaps.  Can you explain more?  Again, I have many IDs, but these may have
changed and some may be missing altogether.  Maybe the issues should be
resolved in Excel, before taking everything over to Access.  A simple Ctrl+F
then Find/Replace may fix many of the problems.  I'm just trying to think of
the easiest way to proceed with this task.

--
Ryan---

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:

> "ryguy7272" <ryguy7272@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may
> > be
> > missing something here.  Some data on vendor numbers changed.  Let's say
> > IBM
> > used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it's vendor number is 56789.  I
> > can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the
> > name.
> > Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access
> > knows
> > 12345 = 56789?  Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all
> > incidences of 12345 to be 56789?  Or, is there some other, method, like a
> > 'best practices for missing data'?
>
> I would run Update Queries to fix the problem, but either method should
> work. It worries me when you say that you are missing data. Why would data
> be missing. No one should be able to change a key if your relationships have
> been properly built.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.accessmvp.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
>

> .

Directly link item engineering data rev level to PO entry/update
Common industry standard is to note the revision level of the item ordered on the PO... this is required for ISO. There is no direct table link from item engineering data to the PO Entry/update regarding item's current revision level. -- Steve Laurenzano K-Rain Manufacturing ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based News...

Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool
I'm not having any luck in finding more information about the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool and even a harder time locating the download. I've read article http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx, it contains a link to the Microsoft Download Center but the tool doesn't list when you select the downloads for Outlook. I tried to do a search on MS for the "Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool", with no luck locating the download. Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the tool or if Microsoft has released it out to download. The MS articles state it...

Question regarding how to search a column and print a row(s)
Hello, I have a spreadsheet consisting of 15 columns and 100 rows. I would like to search a column for a specific string or based on some other criteria (e.g., > 150) and for columns meeting the desired criteria, I would like to print the entire row (all columns) within the same worksheet or on a new worksheet. Can this be done using one or more formulas but without getting into VB or fancy macros? Can this be done period? I'm looking for something that searches the column using the same or similar approach as the "sumif" function but instead of summing the specif...

navigation buttons missing
In my subform I have navigation buttons set to yes but when the form is displayed the navigation buttons are not there. any ideas? -- deb "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC539484-6057-49B6-BCFD-D887968CCD5C@microsoft.com... > In my subform I have navigation buttons set to yes but when the form is > displayed the navigation buttons are not there. > > any ideas? > -- > deb Sounds like the sub form control is a bit to short. See what happens if you allow scrollbars on the control. -- Bill Mosca, Microso...

drop down arrow missing on pivot table when refreshed
I used this to get rid of old items in a pivot table. Sub DeleteItems() ' Dim ws As Worksheet Dim pt As PivotTable Dim pf As PivotField Dim pi As PivotItem On Error Resume Next For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each pt In ws.PivotTables pt.RefreshTable For Each pf In pt.VisibleFields If pf.Name <> "Data" Then For Each pi In pf.PivotItems If pi.RecordCount = 0 And _ Not pi.IsCalculated Then pi.Delete End If Next End If Next Next Next end sub when refreshing the pivot table the drop down arrows on the page by fields disappear. We are runn...

'missing' pubole32.dll
Is there any way to access/download the pubole32.dll file needed to run MSPUB without the original CD? My hard drive crashed and although I was able to back up the app and install it on my replacement hard drive, the program won't run because 'the required pubole32.dll' can not be found. I can't find the original app CD and there doesn't seem to be any .dll files at all on my MS Office app CD, system recovery CD or C:/ backup CDs. I can't access some really important docs I created in MSPUB. Help! You can download it here http://www.ezgoal.com/channels/develope...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking #2
I have been using this add-in just fine for about a year, gathering data from about 20 users onto an Excel Database by having them all use the template. But I recently made some changes and then began having the following problem: After a worksheet has been created using the template, and saved as a new record in the database, and then we want to go back in to change the record and update it in the database, the option does not appear to update the database; the only options continue to be to create a new record or to proceed without saving to the database. It is as though the sys...

System Data Protection 2007 on a SBS 2008 Domain
Hi all, This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing well... I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and then install System Data Protection 2007 Has anyone tried this? Is it doable at all? Thanks to all, Dan On Jan 7, 11:52=A0am, "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdud...@yahoo.com.br> wrote: > Hi all, > > This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing > well... > > I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and > then install Sy...

Excel 2000 Shared Workbook Missing Worksheets
I am experiencing a problem in an Excel 2000 shared workbook. Worksheets are continously missing from the shared workbook. Users are connecting to the shared workbook using a Citrix connection. They enter their data into the worksheet and then save the workbook. The shared workbook is password protected so that users can not get exclusive rights and delete or move sheets. I've also tried tracing the changes and looking at the history to find the problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Advanced Find Question 11-13-07
Is there any way to remove entities from the Advanced Find Query / Window? I would like to remove them as possible entities to "search" against. Thanks in advance, Hi, That is not possible. I assume if some user dont have read rights on some entity then it will not appear in Advance Find. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: Freelance Consultant My Email :: imumar at gmail dot com My Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com "CPW" wrote: > Is there any way to remove entities from the Advanced Find Que...

Add Movie to Outlook E-Mail Message via "Web Tools" toolbar--question
Using Outlook 2003 (in fact all of Microsoft Office 2003), and have Word selected as e-mail editor. Windows XP Pro with all updates. Recently I discovered on the Office web site a way to insert a movie (inline) to an e-mail message. I have one question about its implementation. If (in an HTML-formatted e-mail, and Word selected as e-mail editor) with the cursor in the body of the message, you click on "View", "Toolbars", you can select a toolbar called "Web Tools". On that is an icon that says "Movie". If you click on it you can add a movie to the e-ma...

How do I find root mean square of a periodic data in Excel

Love Potion for Miss Blandish #24
yada yada hi darmasya, glanil,bavati bharata, agydanam adarmasya, kridadmanam padarmasya, ...

Utilities for Importing Data into O2003
Anyone have suggestions for utilities that allow importing into custom fields in Outlook from Excel and other formats? Shawn See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "srm" <srm@primatech.com> wrote in message = news:1139309174.143782.221290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Anyo...

crystal report question 05-04-04
Hi, is it possible to use my own sql statement to build the crystal reports in crm 1.2? I want to use some functions i.e. count(*) to add some statistic on the reportings. Thanks in advance Jani ...

Microsoft Money 2005 not picking up data
I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded the data files for MM which I copied from the old computer. But I cannot get the program to pick up the data - and of course, support from Microsoft ended last month! Can anyone suggest what I should do to get the data to connect with the software program? -- Patsy In microsoft.public.money, patsy <patsycj@ozemail.com.au(donotspam)> wrote: >I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy >of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded th...

question
I am trying to work with a database of names and adresses. Currently the customers information is in one colum. Is it possible to move it into a row so names are contained in one collom business name in another, street address another, and city, state and zip another. If they are separated by commas or some delimiter other than a space, then yes. For example John Doe, 123 Main St., Anywhere, ND, 12345 However If you only have a space as the delimiter, then Data|Text to Columns will put each word in a separate cell, and that would be a mess. PC "mark" <mark@midway...

Lookup function question
I am looking to create a formula that will see if a value from column 1 sheet 1 is present in column 1 sheet 2, and if it is, return the value from column 2 sheet 2... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance... =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A1:B1000,2) This gets A1 from Sheet1 and tries to find it in column A of Sheet2. If found, the value in column B is returned. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "clevelandkid" wrote: > I am looking to create a formula that will see if a value from column 1 sheet > 1 is present in column 1 sheet 2, and...

Stack & Heap question
Can someone give me the 25 cent explaination of the relationship of stack, heap, reserved heap, reserved stack, commit stack etc. IF I want to size the stack to accomodate a very large array of doubles say 500,000 by 10, how would I make sure that the stack and heap were correctly sized? Rob Rob K wrote: > Can someone give me the 25 cent explaination of the relationship of stack, > heap, reserved heap, reserved stack, commit stack etc. IF I want to size the > stack to accomodate a very large array of doubles say 500,000 by 10, how > would I make sure that the stack and heap we...

Continuing VLOOKUP Question
Hi, I have been trying to use the VLOOKUP function to provide two additional columns of data given one column. I have account numbers and need to generate corresponding account names and tax ids. The following was suggested to me in another post but it does not do all that I need to do (But it's a start.) : "Subject: Re: VLOOKUP Function Question From: BenjieLop BenjieLop.1eluwn@excelforum-nospam.com Date: 10/23/2004 7:30 PM Central Daylight Time Message-id: <BenjieLop.1eluwn@excelforum-nospam.com> Assume that you have the following table in Sheet1: Column A : Account ...

question in 'C++'
Why this will not work? I have a class pointer create from file stream and want to call the class' protected member function. So I derived a class and make the caller its friend. Then use 'c' type cast and call from there. It compiles and works, but not the result that it should be. Class A { protected: void a(){} void b(){} public: virtual void c() { a(); b(); } } class B { A* pA = fromfile(); pA->c(); // problem here, I just want to call pA->b(); } so I changed: class D : public A { public: A(){} Virtual A(){}; friend class B; } now in class B { A* pA = fromfi...

Tough Question
I posed a "Data Validation Question" on 17 Dec and have had no response to date. I take it there is no solution. IMHO, this is one fantastic site. Solutions are normally forthcoming within a few hours or less. For those who spent time on my question, thanks for the effort. Sincerely, Bob Myers Bob, The question was tough because your requirements were poorly described. Despite that you did get an answer to which you haven't responded. Mike "Bob Myers" wrote: > I posed a "Data Validation Question" on 17 Dec and have had...

Linked Workbooks Question
Hi All, I have a workbook that links to two other workbooks. Two carry data, one does the calcs... All three workbooks are in the same directory. When I open the 'calcs' workbook, I allow macros then update links. References to cells in the data workbooks show as #value errors. If I have all three open, the 'calcs' sheet works fine. What gives ??? Thanks to the group. ...

Exchange migration wizard "data invalid"
I am in the process of an Exchange 2003 email migration between 2 forest with an external trust that has been established. I would like to use the Exchange Server Migration tool, but on the screen where you pick the specific mailboxes to move, it gives me an error of "the data is invalid". The specified account does have Full exchange administrator rights. ...

Saved text is missing from 2003 word document
When opening a saved 2003 word document the text is missing. See if the text has been inadvertently formatted as hidden or in white color. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "lpaul" <lpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED677478-49D2-4461-AE94-8EFBFF2CCAB9@microsoft.com... > When opening a saved 2003 word document the text is missing. ...