Query to show empty cells

I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the
addresses that are empty.  What should I put in the criteria to show an empty
cell?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Try out the query with IsNull as criterion.
--
********* http://panjas.org
If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful

"xololady" wrote:

> I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the
> addresses that are empty.  What should I put in the criteria to show an empty
> cell?
If you are using the query wizard then in the criteria line of the
address field put                 Null
If that does not pull all of them then add a second criteria line
with                                     ""
           Two double quote marks side by side.

If you are writing the query out then write

           WHERE     IsNull(fieldnameofaddressfield)

Ron

0
Ron2006
6/21/2007 6:27:28 PM
Thank you, but that didn't work.  I put IsNull in the criteria line for
address, city, state, zip and email and it gave me no records.  Any other
suggestions?

"S Panja" wrote:

> Try out the query with IsNull as criterion.
> --
> ********* http://panjas.org
> If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful
> to you?
> If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer
> the question?
>

> "xololady" wrote:
>
> > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the
> > addresses that are empty.  What should I put in the criteria to show an empty
> > cell?
Thank you!  I figured out that I was putting Null in my zip code column, but
it has a default of "0"  How do I get rid of that default?

"Ron2006" wrote:

> If you are using the query wizard then in the criteria line of the
> address field put                 Null
> If that does not pull all of them then add a second criteria line
> with                                     ""
>            Two double quote marks side by side.
>

> If you are writing the query out then write
>
>            WHERE     IsNull(fieldnameofaddressfield)
>

> Ron

Check Field property in Table design.
--

"xololady" wrote:

> Thank you!  I figured out that I was putting Null in my zip code column, but
> it has a default of "0"  How do I get rid of that default?
>
> "Ron2006" wrote:
>
> > If you are using the query wizard then in the criteria line of the
> > address field put                 Null
> > If that does not pull all of them then add a second criteria line
> > with                                     ""
> >            Two double quote marks side by side.
> >

> > If you are writing the query out then write
> >
> >            WHERE     IsNull(fieldnameofaddressfield)
> >

> > Ron

Thanks!

"S Panja" wrote:

> Check Field property in Table design.
> --
> ********* http://panjas.org
> If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful
> to you?
> If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer
> the question?
>

> "xololady" wrote:
>
> > Thank you!  I figured out that I was putting Null in my zip code column, but
> > it has a default of "0"  How do I get rid of that default?
> >
> > "Ron2006" wrote:
> >
> > > If you are using the query wizard then in the criteria line of the
> > > address field put                 Null
> > > If that does not pull all of them then add a second criteria line
> > > with                                     ""
> > >            Two double quote marks side by side.
> > >

> > > If you are writing the query out then write
> > >
> > >            WHERE     IsNull(fieldnameofaddressfield)
> > >

> > > Ron

Also, the way you stated your answer it implies that you put the   Is
Null   on the same criteria line for all of the fields.

This means that ALL of the fields MUST be empty for the record to be
selected. As you found out, if any one of them (you also had it for
ZIP which was NOT null) then the record will NOT be selected.

The way you have it, if someone put in an address line but NOT the
city, state, etc, it would NOT be selected. If that is what you want
that is fine, but you may want to create a different criteria line for
each of the unique combinations that you want to be selected. If you
want any address that has City empty then create a separte criteria
line with is null in the criteria for City and no other criteria. If
you want any that have state empty then yet another criteria line with
is null as criteria for the state only.

In general, I would always make ZIP as a text field. If you ever send
any thing to Canada, it will require letters in the ZIP Code. And if
someone puts in the Zip + 4 you will have to do the formating for it
yourself. Also if the ZIP has leading 00s then they will normally
disappear when you try to print the Zip unless you are using specific
formating to print it, which then gets real complicated if some have
the zip + 4 and some don't.

Ron

0
Ron2006

Pass the results of a query to a variable
I created a query using the Query Builder, the result has one record with two columns. I'd run the query, and pass the value of one column to a variable. Any suggests on how this might be done or any suggestion of a better way to reach the same goal? -- Tony On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:06:04 -0700, Tony A. <TonyA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a query using the Query Builder, the result has one record with two >columns. I'd run the query, and pass the value of one column to a variable. >Any suggests on how this might be done or any suggest...

What is the cell data reference for 5th row and 7th column called
Can someone help me with this question? I need to get the answer for my homework. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing, but might it be G5? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Shy-di@verizon.net" <Shy-di@verizon.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0979494-228B-435E-98F7-6BD26C900266@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me with this question? I nee...

killing empty spaces in unusall fashion ..
I am trying to create a sheet that will read 2 columns of another sheet that has empty spaces between the data (Rows) and I want to re-create the data in a new sheet that will re-fill the columns without the spaces.. Thanks e.g. : _COL_A_______COL_B_ apples 50 grapes 70 bannanas 40 peaches 80 TO: _COL_A_______COL_B_ apples 50 grapes 70 bannanas 40 peaches 80 -- Mhz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&user...

Query using two separate query totals
I'm trying to create a query using a table of user information and two separate queries with totaled hours over a period of time. Each separate query has a total number of hours used between a start date and end date. It is possible that a user can use hours from either query. I would like to be able to have the totals information from each hours query sorted by the contact's last name. I so far have the contact's Name, the total hours from one query, and the total hours from another query. When I run the query, it shows the information from the first query and c...

Image on report does not show when sent as a fax through Outlook.
Hello. I am working with a report that is a letter formatted with our company letterhead. I believe the letterhead is an Embedded OLE object. This is working, and it prints fine to a printer. Our supervisor would like to fax this letter directly through Outlook. (Not sure if all Outlook applications include this, but we are able to send a document as a fax…I believe it is a feature called "Genifax"). This works to send the body of the report, however, it does NOT include the letterhead clip art at the top. I've looked at properties of the image and experimented with...

Cell Contains Data.
How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, whatever) do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function to look for a specific number or text, just data, just something in the cell... =IF(A1<>"","Data","No Data") "GEM" <GEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07916799-F312-4E89-A926-59356B74ED89@microsoft.com... > How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, > whatever) > do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function ...

Active cell highlight
Hi, I would like to know if there was a way to have an active cell always in yellow or any color. Example: If the active cell is moved around, the active cell will be always in yellow. Thank you in advance maybe.... you may want to try Chip Pearson's Rowliner: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm E wrote: > > Hi, > > I would like to know if there was a way to have an active cell always in > yellow or any color. > > Example: If the active cell is moved around, the active cell will be always > in yellow. > > Thank you in advance -- Dave Pet...

Need to separate multiple numbers in one cell
I have multiple number in one cell and i need to somehow put each number into one separate cell for each number: I have : column A row1 2 5 8 10 I want: column B column C column D column E row1 2 5 8 10 How do I do it on Excel 2007? thanks EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Map Stored Procedure Output To Class Properties http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2853a1aa-5db7-40d0-9cde-46847fa770ef/map-stored-procedure-outp.aspx Hi, Use Data > Text to columns and specify the delimiter as space ...

copy value in cell above to cell below for a whole column
I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists the employee name once. There is a way to copy the value of the cell above to the cell below. I can get as far as highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not remember the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells. Can anyone help? Ctrl+D will copydown the value of the top cell to the highlighted cells below. "tarthur" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists > the employee name once. There is a way to copy th...

How can I remove the previous lock cells and keep the new ones.
Could you please help me?... I locked and protected the cells A1:H20 in the sheet 1 two months ago. However, yesterday I wanted to unlock and unprotect these cells and locked and protected the cells A21:H40 instead. However, for some reason the cells A1:H20 are still lock and protect. How can I remove the previous lock cells (A1:H20) and keep the new cells (A21`:H40) only. Thanks. Maperalia In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions to unlock cells A1 to H20:- 1. Home / Cells group / Format / Unprotect Sheet / enter the password to Unprotect Sheet / OK / highlight cells A1 t...

Adding data from multiple cell and linking to a new worksheet
I have data in a sheet with names and amounts due. Like A 500 B 300 A 600 B 300 C 400 C 200 There is a second sheet named summary. I want the totals of each person to appear in the summary sheet. These should be linked cells and any change in data in sheet 1 should be updtaed automatically Create a PivotTable http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Rashmi" <Rashmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56DC0F3A-8D60-4FE2-B778-3A07790EFE8A@microsoft.com... >I have data in a sheet wi...

Move cells down to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7...

using data from another cell
I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different column) if the same name is there, and if it is there get a value of another cell locate in the same row where. Can some one help me? Create your second list and use VLOOKUP as follows: Name is typed in: A1 List of names and values in: C1:D10 =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,FALSE) "leo" <reani1996@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OiO5fCTWDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different > column) if the same name is there, and if it is t...

Outlook 2003 does not show Appointment Availability for users for
When adding an appointment next year for private or public calendar using outllok 2003 on exchnage 2003, and inviting othe ruser from gal it shows shows there status in the schdele as no information. If shcedule appointment this year shows the status of the users schedule as is planned in their calendar. please help ...

How to exclude cells from a datasource?
Hi, I have an XY chart in excel97 that uses a range of cells for the data source. Every now and then I would like to exclude a XYnode from the chart. Without having to reselt the datasource. Is there a value one can enter in the cell that exludes it from the graph (compare: putting text in a cell excludes it from the SUM() function). For example point X Y a 1 1 b 2 2 c 3 3 Gives a graph with two lines connecting the three points While point X Y a 1 1 b ? ? c 3 3 Should give a graph with one line connecting point a and c. Point b is left out. Or is the...

What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells?
Hi, What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells? I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to replicate and print, in Excel, an attendance book format, with a series of tiny squares next to each student's name. The printed form of this would allow me to register if a student were present or absent on a particular day. Hubert -- Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store; Fine Jablum Blue Mountain Coffee sales page: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_Jab...

Crosstab Query with query parameter used to create a report
My crosstab query using a query parameter works fine; however, once I try to use it to create a report I am asked multiple times to re-enter my query parameters. The report generates the correct results; however, why do I need to re-enter my query parameter multiple times?? Thanks.. Open the crosstab in design view, click on menu Query - Parameters. This opens another window. Type in your parameter names and data type. Save. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "JJ_Access" wrote: > My crosstab query using a query parameter works fine; however, once I try to ...

Auto Slides Show
I have an HMI running Allenbradley Panel View program and wanted to show some help documents on the screen, and was able to get the power point started but won't run in slides shows automatically. Need some Pro Advice. Thanks -- Thanks Guys PowerPoint 2007 To get a Slide Show to run automatically take the following actions:- 1. Launch your Presentation. 2. I have got a 7 Slide Presentation on the screen in front of me. 3. Go to the Animations tab. Transitions to This Slide group 4. Place a tick (check) in the box called:- Automatically After: Remove t...

Problem with Query
I have a workbook that has been created which holds two worksheets. The first worksheet allows for a tick mark to be placed in a column, which will fill into the second worksheet upon a refresh of data. The problem is the process works fine on one users PC, all new data is filled in upon a refresh. However, when other users access the file and refresh data, there are 3 columns of data that do not refresh. ...

Excel Cell Formatting #3
How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? Hi you can't as such objects 'float' above the cells in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom Coffey" <Tom Coffey@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E7356E1-4318-42F3-B9C6-3D7EDFBBEEA1@microsoft.com... > How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? ...

Query troubles...
My query is not giving me the right information. What I'm trying to get is a list of Club Members that have Remote Access. I thought it was accurate, but several records are missing. I'm sorry this is probably something super easy... SELECT [Remote Access Users].[First Name], [Remote Access Users].[Last Name], [Club Members 2007].[FC #], [Club Members 2007].[Club Level], [Remote Access Users].Active, [Remote Access Users].Branch FROM [Club Members 2007] LEFT JOIN [Remote Access Users] ON [Club Members 2007].[FC #] = [Remote Access Users].[FC #] WHERE ((([Remote Access Users].Acti...

Cell possibilities?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which has dates when people have attended a course. The sheet then updates itself through conditional formatting and formulas to let me know when course dates have run out. Is it possible through using either a formula or conditional formatting that after a certain time period e.g. two months after a course date has run out, that the date in the cell is erased? If so how id it done? Thanks in advance. What formulas and conditional formulas are you presently using to determine when course dates expire? And what exactly do you mean by "erased"? Do you me...

Query SQL Syntax
I have 2 queries that I am building another query off of. I have on query with the name of project contacts in it. I have another query with all the associated contact info in it. I made a cutom colum in the query and used this syntax. DPM Phone:(Select [Business Phone] FROM [Contacts Extended] Where [Contacts Extended]![Contact Name]=[Target_Stores_MRRS_Extended]![DPM]) This is not working. Can anyone help or point me to a good resource for how to use the syntax correctly. Thanks, On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:15:01 -0700, Rob Hamlin <RobHamlin@discussions.microsoft.com>...

cells don't adjust
when worksheet is sorted the corresponding cells or the cells linked to the right, don't move with them. they stay in the same spot. Also this is a big work group with worksheets that are linked and referenced together.... In other words the cells to the right of the cells be sorted don't shift down when I sort the page. If you need meto explain more I can! "boraguru" wrote: > when worksheet is sorted the corresponding cells or the cells linked to the > right, don't move with them. they stay in the same spot. Also this is a big > work group with work...

Changing coler of tracking cells
When I use "track changes" the changed cells are outlined in lavender which is really hard to see. Is there a way to change the highlight color to a darker one? ...