Query to Pull Most Recent Call with a Callback Date Scheduled

Hello,

I'm trying to create a query that only pulls in patients that have a
scheduled callback date, but only if the callback date was scheduled on there
most recent call.  So far I've been unsuccessful.  Below is the SQL that I'm
attempting to use-

SELECT [Patients Table].[Patient ID], [Patients Table].[First Name],
[Patients Table].[Last Name], [Patients Table].[Home Phone], [Patients
Table].[Day Phone], Max([Call]) AS Expr1, [Calls Table].[Call Outcome],
[Calls Table].[Callback Date]
FROM [Patients Table] INNER JOIN [Calls Table] ON [Patients Table].[Patient
ID] = [Calls Table].[Patient ID]
WHERE ((([Calls Table].[Callback Date]) Is Not Null))
GROUP BY [Patients Table].[Patient ID], [Patients Table].[First Name],
[Patients Table].[Last Name], [Patients Table].[Home Phone], [Patients
Table].[Day Phone], [Calls Table].[Call Outcome], [Calls Table].[Callback
Date]
ORDER BY [Calls Table].[Callback Date];
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Nate wrote:
> I'm trying to create a query that only pulls in patients that have a
> scheduled callback date, but only if the callback date was scheduled on there
> most recent call.  So far I've been unsuccessful.  Below is the SQL that I'm
> attempting to use-

See if this query returns the latest Call for each patient which had a
Callback Date scheduled.

SELECT
     p.[Patient ID],
     p.[First Name],
     p.[Last Name],
     p.[Home Phone],
     p.[Day Phone],
     c.MaxOfCall
FROM
     [Patients Table] AS p
     INNER JOIN (
         SELECT
             [Patient ID],
             Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
         FROM
             [Calls Table]
         WHERE
             [Callback Date] Is Not Null
         GROUP BY
             p.[Patient ID]
         ) AS c
     ON p.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID];

If it works, save it as something like qryLastCall.  Then you can create
another query which uses qryLastCall and [Calls Table] as its data
sources.  INNER JOIN the two on Patient Id and qryLastCall.MaxOfCall =
[Calls Table].Call  You can select all the fields from qryLastCall and
also the [Call Outcome] and [Callback Date] fields from [Calls Table].
0
Hans
4/19/2010 5:04:30 PM
Hans Up wrote:
> Nate wrote:
>> I'm trying to create a query that only pulls in patients that have a
>> scheduled callback date, but only if the callback date was scheduled
>> on there most recent call.  So far I've been unsuccessful.  Below is
>> the SQL that I'm attempting to use-
>
> See if this query returns the latest Call for each patient which had a
> Callback Date scheduled.
>
> SELECT
>     p.[Patient ID],
>     p.[First Name],
>     p.[Last Name],
>     p.[Home Phone],
>     p.[Day Phone],
>     c.MaxOfCall
> FROM
>     [Patients Table] AS p
>     INNER JOIN (
>         SELECT
>             [Patient ID],
>             Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
>         FROM
>             [Calls Table]
>         WHERE
>             [Callback Date] Is Not Null
>         GROUP BY
>             p.[Patient ID]
>         ) AS c
>     ON p.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID];
>
> If it works, save it as something like qryLastCall.  Then you can create
> another query which uses qryLastCall and [Calls Table] as its data
> sources.  INNER JOIN the two on Patient Id and qryLastCall.MaxOfCall =
> [Calls Table].Call  You can select all the fields from qryLastCall and
> also the [Call Outcome] and [Callback Date] fields from [Calls Table].

Oops, I left an extra p in there.  Change the GROUP BY to:

         GROUP BY
             [Patient ID]
0
Hans
4/19/2010 5:12:30 PM
Hans, thanks for the quick response.  I got the following error message when
I tried that "You tried to execute a query that does not include the
specified expression 'Patient ID' as part of an aggregate function."  Sorry -
I'm not familiar with SQL.  Thanks,

"Hans Up" wrote:

> Nate wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a query that only pulls in patients that have a
> > scheduled callback date, but only if the callback date was scheduled on there
> > most recent call.  So far I've been unsuccessful.  Below is the SQL that I'm
> > attempting to use-
>
> See if this query returns the latest Call for each patient which had a
> Callback Date scheduled.
>
> SELECT
>      p.[Patient ID],
>      p.[First Name],
>      p.[Last Name],
>      p.[Home Phone],
>      p.[Day Phone],
>      c.MaxOfCall
> FROM
>      [Patients Table] AS p
>      INNER JOIN (
>          SELECT
>              [Patient ID],
>              Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
>          FROM
>              [Calls Table]
>          WHERE
>              [Callback Date] Is Not Null
>          GROUP BY
>              p.[Patient ID]
>          ) AS c
>      ON p.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID];
>
> If it works, save it as something like qryLastCall.  Then you can create
> another query which uses qryLastCall and [Calls Table] as its data
> sources.  INNER JOIN the two on Patient Id and qryLastCall.MaxOfCall =
> [Calls Table].Call  You can select all the fields from qryLastCall and
> also the [Call Outcome] and [Callback Date] fields from [Calls Table].
> .

Thanks Hans - that worked to pull in the last date of any scheduled callback,
but I wasn't clear about what I wanted this to return.  If the patient didn't
have a callback scheduled on there most recent call, I don't want it to pull
in anything for that patient.  I only want the patients that have a callback
date scheduled, if it was scheduled on the most recent call.  Sorry about
that.

Nate wrote:
> Hans, thanks for the quick response.  I got the following error message when
> I tried that "You tried to execute a query that does not include the
> specified expression 'Patient ID' as part of an aggregate function."  Sorry -
> I'm not familiar with SQL.  Thanks,

Did you see my second mention about the extra p?  Change the GROUP BY to
this:
           GROUP BY
               [Patient ID]

If that doesn't fix it up, try breaking out the sub select and running
it separately.

SELECT
     [Patient ID],
     Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
FROM
     INNER JOIN [Calls Table]
WHERE
     [Callback Date] Is Not Null
GROUP BY
     [Patient ID]

If that part doesn't work correctly, the rest is screwed for sure.
0
Hans
4/19/2010 6:12:33 PM
Nate wrote:
> Thanks Hans - that worked to pull in the last date of any scheduled callback,
> but I wasn't clear about what I wanted this to return.  If the patient didn't
> have a callback scheduled on there most recent call, I don't want it to pull
> in anything for that patient.  I only want the patients that have a callback
> date scheduled, if it was scheduled on the most recent call.  Sorry about
> that.

In that case, try removing the WHERE clause from the sub select ... then
    the whole thing should give you the latest call for each patient
regardless of whether or not a callback was scheduled.  After you INNER
JOIN the revised qryLastCall to [Calls Table], you can apply the
"[Callback Date] Is Not Null" criteria on the whole result set.

At least I think that should work.  But that's all I got time for right
now.  If you run into trouble, post back with your latest query SQL and
describe how it's not correct.  I'll try to check back tonight.
0
Hans
4/19/2010 6:27:25 PM
Hans - thanks that did fix it but I don't think I was clear about what I
wanted the query to return.  This query returns the most recent call with a
callback date scheduled.  I only want the query to pull in the call if the
most recent call had a callback date scheduled.  Not all calls have a
callback date, so if the most recent call did not have a callback date
scheduled it shouldn't pull into the query.  Sorry abou that.  Thanks again.

"Hans Up" wrote:

> Nate wrote:
> > Hans, thanks for the quick response.  I got the following error message when
> > I tried that "You tried to execute a query that does not include the
> > specified expression 'Patient ID' as part of an aggregate function."  Sorry -
> > I'm not familiar with SQL.  Thanks,
>
> Did you see my second mention about the extra p?  Change the GROUP BY to
> this:
>            GROUP BY
>                [Patient ID]
>
> If that doesn't fix it up, try breaking out the sub select and running
> it separately.
>
> SELECT
>      [Patient ID],
>      Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
> FROM
>      INNER JOIN [Calls Table]
> WHERE
>      [Callback Date] Is Not Null
> GROUP BY
>      [Patient ID]
>
> If that part doesn't work correctly, the rest is screwed for sure.
> .

I removed the WHERE clause and was able to pull in only the last call date
for each patient, but when I tried to do an INNER JOIN on the Patient ID it
wasn't pulling in correctly.  It looks like it is pulling in multiple calls
for some patients after I do the join.  I'm thinking that I should be
matching the Call ID's instead of the Patient ID's, but when I try to add the
Call ID to the query that you created it stops pulling in only the last call
and pulls in every call.  The Call ID is only located in the Calls Table.

Nate wrote:
> I removed the WHERE clause and was able to pull in only the last call date
> for each patient, but when I tried to do an INNER JOIN on the Patient ID it
> wasn't pulling in correctly.  It looks like it is pulling in multiple calls
> for some patients after I do the join.

No.  I told you to INNER JOIN on Patient Id AND qryLastCall.MaxOfCall =
[Calls Table].Call

If your JOIN is based only on Patient ID, I suspect it's pulling every
row from [Calls Table] which matches the Patient.

My understanding is your qryLastCall SQL should now look like this (we
removed the Not Null criterion on [Callback Date]):

SELECT
     p.[Patient ID],
     p.[First Name],
     p.[Last Name],
     p.[Home Phone],
     p.[Day Phone],
     c.MaxOfCall
FROM
     [Patients Table] AS p
     INNER JOIN (
         SELECT
             [Patient ID],
             Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
         FROM
             [Calls Table]
         GROUP BY
             [Patient ID]
         ) AS c
     ON p.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID];

My hope is that version of qryLastCall will return no more than one row
for each patient.  If so, create another query like this:

SELECT
     q.[Patient ID],
     q.[First Name],
     q.[Last Name],
     q.[Home Phone],
     q.[Day Phone],
     q.MaxOfCall,
     c.[Call Outcome],
     c.[Callback Date]
FROM
     qryLastCall AS q
     INNER JOIN [Calls Table] AS c
     ON q.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID]
     AND q.MaxOfCall = c.Call
WHERE
     c.[Callback Date] Is Not Null;

Notice the 2 conditions I mentioned for the JOIN.  It should only return
call records for each patient where Call value matches MaxOfCall for
that patient.  The WHERE clause excludes any patient whose last Call
didn't have a [Callback Date] value.
0
Hans
4/19/2010 11:32:35 PM
That worked perfectly.  Really appreciate it.

"Hans Up" wrote:

> Nate wrote:
> > I removed the WHERE clause and was able to pull in only the last call date
> > for each patient, but when I tried to do an INNER JOIN on the Patient ID it
> > wasn't pulling in correctly.  It looks like it is pulling in multiple calls
> > for some patients after I do the join.
>
> No.  I told you to INNER JOIN on Patient Id AND qryLastCall.MaxOfCall =
> [Calls Table].Call
>
> If your JOIN is based only on Patient ID, I suspect it's pulling every
> row from [Calls Table] which matches the Patient.
>
> My understanding is your qryLastCall SQL should now look like this (we
> removed the Not Null criterion on [Callback Date]):
>
> SELECT
>      p.[Patient ID],
>      p.[First Name],
>      p.[Last Name],
>      p.[Home Phone],
>      p.[Day Phone],
>      c.MaxOfCall
> FROM
>      [Patients Table] AS p
>      INNER JOIN (
>          SELECT
>              [Patient ID],
>              Max([Call]) AS MaxOfCall
>          FROM
>              [Calls Table]
>          GROUP BY
>              [Patient ID]
>          ) AS c
>      ON p.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID];
>
> My hope is that version of qryLastCall will return no more than one row
> for each patient.  If so, create another query like this:
>
> SELECT
>      q.[Patient ID],
>      q.[First Name],
>      q.[Last Name],
>      q.[Home Phone],
>      q.[Day Phone],
>      q.MaxOfCall,
>      c.[Call Outcome],
>      c.[Callback Date]
> FROM
>      qryLastCall AS q
>      INNER JOIN [Calls Table] AS c
>      ON q.[Patient ID] = c.[Patient ID]
>      AND q.MaxOfCall = c.Call
> WHERE
>      c.[Callback Date] Is Not Null;
>
> Notice the 2 conditions I mentioned for the JOIN.  It should only return
> call records for each patient where Call value matches MaxOfCall for
> that patient.  The WHERE clause excludes any patient whose last Call
> didn't have a [Callback Date] value.
> .

Can callout developed by .net 1.1 call web service developed by ne
Hi I am developing MS CRM and i need to integrate with other system which implemented by VS 2005 .NET 2.0. The part of integration is when user insert or update company in CRM, then it must be auto update company in other system also. The updating should be synchronizing. What i am thinking is i customized at Post Create, Post Update, Post delete of company entity of CRM, then in the code i will go to call web service which coded by .net 2.0 to proceed modify, or inseret company record in other system. My problem is from what i understand that CallOut has to code and compile by .....

Expression Calling Public Function In Access 2007
Hello Everyone, I have a perfectly functioning db in 2000-02 and 03. On a calendar form, that lives inside another form, I have all the day buttons OnClick event tied to an expression that points to a public function in the forms code container. Looks like this =ClickMe(11). Code Looks like this: Public Sub ClickMe(ByVal iLabelNum As Integer) DoCmd.Hourglass True Me.Repaint Call SelectDay(("lbl" & CStr(iLabelNum))) DoCmd.Hourglass False Exit Sub In Access 2007 (either in 2002 or converted to 2007), I receive an error: something about "The expression On Click you e...

Is there a way to empty the Deleted Items folder by date?
Is there a way to get Outlook to delete items in the Deleted Items folder that have been in there for some period of time (1 week, 1 month, ???)? I know there is a Tools option to empty it on exit, but I sometimes want to recover a file a few days later. FivePoundBag wrote: > Is there a way to get Outlook to delete items in the Deleted Items > folder that have been in there for some period of time (1 week, 1 > month, ???)? > > I know there is a Tools option to empty it on exit, but I sometimes > want to recover a file a few days later. Use AutoArchive. Enable the global...

Query
I have a transaction # for each record in my main form with a subform "Approvals" and "Checkouts". I created a query to show the sum of all Approvals and all Checkouts by Transaction # for each record. (one for Accruals and one for Checkouts). All approvals and checkouts come up in these queries. I want to create a report showing, per Cost Center, the $ amt of Approvals, the $ amt of Checkouts, and a calculated field to show the remaining value. The report comes up with all approvals and checkouts per cost center, however, if there is an approval that does not hav...

Unable to get DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn call in windows 7
I am trying to add an initial vidpn topology by implementing the DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn call in the WDDM miniport driver. But starting from windows 7 i am unable to get the DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn function call from dxgkrnl.After searching through the MSDN documentation i found out that the function is deprecated starting from windows 7. msdn link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee220395.aspx According to msdn "On a computer running Windows 7, the display mode manager (DMM) determines an appropriate VidPN topology to apply using VidPN history d...

Setting random number range based on query, not table
I have a "quiz" form that randomly pulls up questions from my table. It works fine, and I don't mind that it repeats questions. This allows me to sit and review for as long as I want. The problem is, that I want to use criteria in a query to limit the available questions. If I base this form on a query and limit the number of questions, the code I am using is still setting the maximum number as the number of records in my table. In the past, I had a similar database (which I have lost) that would open the form, set the selector to the last record available to the form,...

Modify Scheduled Payments description for future invoices
Since the Schedule Payments Setup window description field is passed to all invoices that may be printed from that schedule, this field should be able to be modified through the Edit Posted Transactions window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://ww...

sorting dates in Excel 97
Running a worksheet that lists all medical expenses and am not able to always insert date, expense, who to, in correct sequence. Some postings just come in on time. Is there a sort formula that will allow me to sort these entries in sequence? Will the sorting move up the entire row that lists date, amount, payable to, etc. also? Thank you, Steve T. I wouldn't use any formulas for this. I'd select the range (all the columns in that range, plus the last row of headers, plus all the data) and do Data|Sort If you include all the columns that should move with the sort, you'll ...

Publisher 2007: How do I change dates on calendar page in newslet
I'm creating a newsletter. I added a calendar page. In previous versions of Publisher, I was able to get to Calendar Options to change the month. In Publisher 2007 when I insert a calendar page into a newsletter, I can no longer access the Calendar Options task pane. Please describe how to change the dates. The calendar wizard is broken. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future service pack. Meanwhile you will have to manually change the calendar dates. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Stephanie" &...

dates in excel #2
hi all need help with the date function this is the situation i use excel daily to create a report. as this report is printed out i just save changes made. except at the weekend when i also make backups so that my boss can send the report by email on monday mornings. in the report we use the NOW function to display the date. when we used to open the backups the date never used to change ie if saturdays backup was opened on monday morning it used to still display saturdays date. now for some reason the date is automatically updating. anybody know how to prevent this happening You probabl...

How to convert US date format to European
My computer is set up to use the European style dates (ddmmyyyy), not the USA-style dates (mmddyyyy format). So if I enter "01/06/05" I get a date of 01-June-2005. However when I download some information in CSV format at times that same date is formatted like this: "06/01/05". However this is interpreted as 06-January-2005 in the spreadsheet. How can I convert the US formatted values to European, in effect swapping the first two numbers? Thanks T Meisner -- 1025 Osborne Rd., New Germany, NS, Canada B0R 1E0 Rename the .csv file to .txt File|open that .txt file...

Crosstab query totals
Need some help, I have a crosstab query that returns the following data see sql below, what I need is to total all gearbox types that are R and 37 and R and 27 and R and 47 etc. an example R and RF 27 total = 492 <> 1 2 4 SubTotals R 27 20 26 303 12 361 R 37 6 66 307 8 387 R 47 8 87 424 2 521 R47R 37 2 2 R57R 37 3 2 5 R67R 37 1 1 2 R77R 37 19 19 RF 27 4 17 109 1 131 RF 37 1 11 76 88 RF 47 1 25 39 65 TRANSFORM Sum(InspectionLog.Quantity) AS SumOfQuantity SELECT Sum(InspectionLog.Quantity) AS SubTotals, InspectionLog.GearboxType ...

RE: msimn.exe R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call
I had the same problem and this worked for me when nothing else listed here did.. Uncheck the block attachments box in options, hit apply and exit restart.. on another machine, same problem had to copy a few messages to the folder which was causing the problem when opened first... Both times it was related to a clean forwarded email from a yahoo.com mailbox. Something in the html or other code caused the error.. If this is still an issue to you send me an email and I will see what else I can do to help.. version of OS and outlook express would be help full.. Qube > "Abbie" <a...

Date format of 0 and if statements
I have an is statment as such: =IF('Raw Data'!A5=0,,'Raw Data'!A5) This issue I have is when I format fields as "date" and the reference cell = 0 excel formates the cell as 01/00/00. I have also used the formula: =IF('Raw Data'!A5=0,"",'Raw Data'!A5) The issue I have is I want to create graphs of this data in a dynamic fashion, but when the data range of the graph encounters either "" or 1/00/00 as a date, it plots it as a data point. I need a way to make my IF statment to produce a BLANK or EMPTY cell. Is there a key word in...

2 Formatting Questions
Date Fields: Can we, in the CRM forms, format dates to read into the “15 Aug 2005” format? This is possible in reports, but by default, the forms use only numbers for dates, but in any format. Currency: Any ideas of how to track multiple currencies in the same application - specifically USD and Canadian? I know a Microsoft CRM installation currently supports one language. But aside from using a picklist to specify "USD", "CAN", "MEX", or other I'm concerned about how their forecasting. -- Carroll Little Vis.align, LLC 610-692-3290 x3326 www.visalign.c...

location of web query
I have a file that refreshed 2006 data that I am now changing to 2007 but I cannot recall where a web query is on a certain worksheet, is there an easy way to find in which cell the query resides? ...

VBA date question
Why isn't this working? I have a form which has a text box for an attribute of type DATE. This attribute, foo, is normally null when the form is loaded. I tried setting the default value for the text box to "Date()" but it doesn't show up (i'm thinking it's because I'm actually running a join query to generate the record for the form so the form never gets the opportunity to display the default value for foo since it thinks it's supposed to be null, the result from the query) So I added some code like this: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) If (I...

Anyone Else Use Database Query to Query Another Sheet in the Same Excel Workbook?
Wow! I tried this out, and it seems to work beautifully. It's odd, though, that I haven't seen this technique mentioned in any of the several Excel references that I've looked at. Basically, I have a workbook with several worksheets...one worksheet contains a large list with all the records. I wanted to set up the other worksheets to have certain functions...I wanted them to use only certain columns from the main list, and to contain only certain records from the main list that met specified conditions. This is the best solution I have found so far - i.e., creating database q...

Date/Time field calculation
Hello, i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. Thanks On Jun 21, 10:02 am, Stathis <s_paraske...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of > time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. > Thanks You need to do the calculation at a level at least 1 level below what you want the answer to be in. Example msgbox DateDiff("h", #6/20/2007 1:00:00 AM#, #6/20/2007 1:30:00 PM#) will give an ans...

Access 2007 SQL Pass Through Queries
I have an Access 2003 mdb that I use to connect to a SQL 2005 database. When I open the application in Access 2007 it errors on using SQL pass through queries. I see that pass through queries (amongst other options) have been disabled under Access 2007. However it seems that they are enabled under certain circumstances so I've been trying to get them working by changing the security settings. The queries are still failing after setting the following: - Sandbox Mode to 0 (turn off sandbox mode for all apps) - Applied a recognised Digital Signature - Trusted the Publisher - Trusted the loc...

linking a date colmn with outlook calender
I am using a financial sheet, on which loan is given to customer(s) fo 6 months (180 days), when the 6 months competted, some time fogot/,miss to collect the loan back from customer(s). So, i want t import the same sheet to outlook calender so it automatically inform m on exact date (after completing 6 months). Can some one help me to sort out. Shakil Ahma -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Seems preety complicated. Else plot the due dates in excel and conditionally format the cells t be highlighted in case date is the present day i.e today -- Message posted from http://ww...

DPM 2010 RC
On two test systems the DPRM Service (set to Manual by Default Install) fails to start when called. Resolution: Set to auto start and start the service or Manually start the service. Expected: Would expect that calls from the DPM server would succeed in starting the service. Any idea what could block a DPM server from starting the Service from the DPM server? No firewall or antivirus in the test. -- David Please check the DCOM launch/Activation permissions on the protected server? You can find it by launching dcomcnfg from an elevated command prompt-> ...

Change Directory Creation/Modification Date/Time programatically
Hi, Can anyone help me out to change the directory creation/modification date/time through C++/MFC code? Can this be acheived without changing the system time? Thanks in advance. Vignesh. In article <98EDAE87-3F31-4F06-AE8C-378CF91A6F3A@microsoft.com>, Vignesh@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi, > Can anyone help me out to change the directory creation/modification > date/time through C++/MFC code? SetFileTime. > Can this be acheived without changing the system time? Yes. -- Later, Jerry. The universe is a figment of its own imagination. "Je...

wrapping text in a query field
I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. Thanking you in advance. Mary Lou On Dec 12, 12:06 pm, MaryLou <Mary...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information > but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the > entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. > > Thanking you in advance. > Mary Lou Go to the p...

Can you help me with a troublesome query?
I'd like some help formulating a query for the following situation. The problem I actually have to solve is somewhat complicated, so I've extracted the essence of the problem into the simplified situation described below. While I know I could do this with an ugly cursor solution, I'm pretty sure that performance would be terrible as the table grows to a large size, which it will in the real problem I have to solve. So I'd like to hear your best ideas on how to solve this in a way that will scale to as high as a million records or more. Consider this table: ...