Query based Subform will not allow editing

I have a maintenance DB that has energy lockout points associated with pieces
of equipment so we can safely do maintenance.

I have an 'edit existing lockout' form, based on a query, that lists in a
subform the various points required for a certain piece of equipment.

My system used to work, but now I can edit the main, but the subform has
locked me out.  All I get is a doorbell tone when I attempt to enter info.  I
can enter the req'd info in the tables, but but my form went snafu.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Does your query allow editing? Check the asterisk in the record navigation
at the bottom to see if it's enabled. If not, your query is not editable,
you may need the primary key in the query to make it editable.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Maintenance man" <Maintenanceman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FBADF317-801F-4CA2-B518-D861AF0A9CE9@microsoft.com...
>I have a maintenance DB that has energy lockout points associated with
>pieces
> of equipment so we can safely do maintenance.
>
> I have an 'edit existing lockout' form, based on a query, that lists in a
> subform the various points required for a certain piece of equipment.
>
> My system used to work, but now I can edit the main, but the subform has
> locked me out.  All I get is a doorbell tone when I attempt to enter info.
> can enter the req'd info in the tables, but but my form went snafu.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

0
Arvin
10/27/2007 3:44:57 PM
This doesn't seem to work.  The * shows in the bottom line until I enter a
cell then it turns to an arrowhead and I get the doorbell tone.  The query
subdatasheet is noted in the main query properties, the key is in the query,

Also does anyone know why my query parameter ctriertion loses it's minf ecah
time I edit the query?  I now retype the criteria each time I edit to try
something new.

Thanks

"Maintenance man" wrote:

> This doesn't seem to work.  The * shows in the bottom line until I enter a
> cell then it turns to an arrowhead and I get the doorbell tone.  The query
> subdatasheet is noted in the main query properties, the key is in the query,
>
> Also does anyone know why my query parameter criterion loses it's mind each
> time I edit the query?  I now retype the criteria each time I edit to try
> something new.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Does your query allow editing? Check the asterisk in the record navigation
> > at the bottom to see if it's enabled. If not, your query is not editable,
> > you may need the primary key in the query to make it editable.
> > --
> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> > http://www.datastrat.com
> > http://www.mvps.org/access
> > http://www.accessmvp.com
> >
> > "Maintenance man" <Maintenanceman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:FBADF317-801F-4CA2-B518-D861AF0A9CE9@microsoft.com...
> > >I have a maintenance DB that has energy lockout points associated with
> > >pieces
> > > of equipment so we can safely do maintenance.
> > >
> > > I have an 'edit existing lockout' form, based on a query, that lists in a
> > > subform the various points required for a certain piece of equipment.
> > >
> > > My system used to work, but now I can edit the main, but the subform has
> > > locked me out.  All I get is a doorbell tone when I attempt to enter info.
> > > can enter the req'd info in the tables, but but my form went snafu.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

It's not bad typing either:) ... edited for typos, I should have said, "Also
does anyone know why my query parameter criterion loses it's mind each time I

"Maintenance man" wrote:

> This doesn't seem to work.  The * shows in the bottom line until I enter a
> cell then it turns to an arrowhead and I get the doorbell tone.  The query
> subdatasheet is noted in the main query properties, the key is in the query,
>
> Also does anyone know why my query parameter ctriertion loses it's minf ecah
> time I edit the query?  I now retype the criteria each time I edit to try
> something new.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Does your query allow editing? Check the asterisk in the record navigation
> > at the bottom to see if it's enabled. If not, your query is not editable,
> > you may need the primary key in the query to make it editable.
> > --
> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> > http://www.datastrat.com
> > http://www.mvps.org/access
> > http://www.accessmvp.com
> >
> > "Maintenance man" <Maintenanceman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:FBADF317-801F-4CA2-B518-D861AF0A9CE9@microsoft.com...
> > >I have a maintenance DB that has energy lockout points associated with
> > >pieces
> > > of equipment so we can safely do maintenance.
> > >
> > > I have an 'edit existing lockout' form, based on a query, that lists in a
> > > subform the various points required for a certain piece of equipment.
> > >
> > > My system used to work, but now I can edit the main, but the subform has
> > > locked me out.  All I get is a doorbell tone when I attempt to enter info.
> > > can enter the req'd info in the tables, but but my form went snafu.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

yet another resource editting thread
I need to edit resources at runtime (i.e. the string table, menus, and dialog control sizes). I would like to use the BeginUpdateResource, UpdateResource, and EndUpdateResource functions. One of the problems I have is this: If I load the menu from file with FindResource, LoadResource, LockResource, I have the binary menu data, and I can't really manipulate raw binary. If I load the menu with LoadMenu, i have a CMenu, that I can change but I don't know how to convert the final menu back to binary data that I would update with the UpdateResource command. So, how do you update? Another...

Query Problems
I have a table of ecards that is populated from a website and includes receiver, sender, and Team leader. The problem I am having is names can be entered into the table like this "Tom Thumb", but Team leader is a dropdown menu that is constant and lists name like this: "Tom S. Thumb". When I make a query to find all the members of Tom S. Thumb's team, I get everyone except Tom Thumb, who is member too. Tom Thumb has his own higher team leader, so I can't change that. How do I get Tom Thumb to be included when I enter "Tom S. Thumb" as Team Leader? ...

Inserting specific images based on product.
Hi Everyone, I'm very knew to the CRM product and was curious... For example, I am customizing a CRM interface for a company with a wide range of products. They would like to add a tab to each of their product displays showing an image of that product. I added the tab (learning how thanks to this newsgroup) but I only know how to insert a graphic using an IFRAME in the form view which in turn displays the SAME image for all product listings. Does this make sense? Basically I'm asking...is there a way to display individual images for specific products, not strictly on the fo...

Excel web query returns no data
When I enter a web addreess into IE it shows the page When I set up a web query in Excel it allows me to select the relevant tables, but then returns no data The same Excel query worked on previuous versions of Excel Web address for query http://www.bmreports.com/servlet/com.logica.neta.bwp_PanBM DataServlet?param1=T_CNQPS- 4&param2=&param3=&param4=&param5=2001-04-01&param6=* Any help appreciated ...

Query to Mail Merge issue
I am running Access2003 on WinXP SP2. I send out dues letters for members of a retiree group. When I try to do a mail merge to my Dues Query all goes fine except the telephone number in the query which is (555)555-1234 comes out 5555551234. If I copy the query into an excel spreadsheet and use that as the datasource for the mail merge it works fine. Is there something I need to do to format the query so it merges with the right format. Thanks Billa In the query format the field to include the parentheses and dash. In query design view, instead of the field name put an expression alo...

Export query to Excel with formated heading
When export from query to Excel, I'd like to turn some columns into heading row on top of Excel sheets how to turn this: LastName FirstName SID Section Instructor Doe John 1234 0545 Su Doe Jane 2345 0545 Su into this? Class Roster Instructor: Su Section: 0545 LastName FirstName SID Doe John 1234 Doe Jane 2345 I think one way of achieving this would be to create a report in Access where you would group under instructor with the students in the detail section. From the report you can then use the analyze with Ex...

XP Home SP 2 and Web based Outlook
I used to be able to flawlessly remotely access Outlook remotely using IE and SP1. However, once I installed SP2, I can longer reply to any messages. My INBOX appears correctly and I can view messages, but once I hit the REPLY icon, the message I was viewing disappears and I am returned to my INBOX rather than being able to compose a message. I upgraded to SP2 on two different computers and the same problems exists on both machines. SP2 for Windows XP includes a built-in popup stopper for Internet Explorer. Open Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Privacy tab. Se...

Query Criteria issue
Access 2003: Trying to create a demographics report that will allow the following. Gender example On the form "frmStudentDemographics" is a drop down field named "cboGender" When the user makes a selection "Male" a report is generated for only Males. But in some cases the user will want to run a report for both (all) genders. So I added a check box next to the drop down named "ckAllGender" My idea is that if that box is checked then the report will show information on Both (all) genders. So in the query that generates the report, in the c...

Spontaneous 'Compile Error' In Queries
I've got a half-dozen queries that contain this expression: IssuerName: IIf(IsNull([tblIssuer].[IssuerID]),"[Issuer Unknown]",[tblIssuer].[IssuerName]) Haven't touched any of them, but suddenly they were all throwing "Compile error. in query expression 'IssuerName: IIf(IsNull([tblIssuer].[IssuerID]),"[Issuer Unknown]",[tblIssuer].[IssuerName])'." tblIssuer.IssuerID is still there in a link. My kneejerk was to somehow force recompiles of all the queries, so I did a Compact/Repair. After the compact/repair, all was well: the errors went away. C...

Payables Transaction Edit List
Our customer had the following error print on the Payables Transaction Edit List: **ERROR: One of more landed costs need to be apportioned.Document Total. This prevented the user from posting the batch. The batch went into Batch Recovery. However, the error message did not appear when logged in as 'sa' and 'sa' was able to post the batch. This customer does not even own the landed cost module. Plus, this was an A/P invoice, not a POP invoice. Why was this message appearing? ...

Recipient Filtering
EX2k3 SP2 Hi I would like to enable the "filter recipients who are not in the directory" option under Global settings/Message Delivery/Recipient Filtering. However we allow an IIS server in the domain to relay email though the exchange server. If the “filter recipients who are not in the directory" option is selected will this cause e-mail relayed by the IIS server to non AD recipients to fail? Regards SuperPlay Recipient Filtering and Relaying are separate pieces of functionality and as such you should not have any problems. Nue "SuperPlay" <SuperPla...

Subform within a Subform
Newbie access user - so please be gentle ;-) In a form I have a particular subform that has another subform within it. Example I have information about a project - (Main Form) that has a series of documents (subform) that will have their information that have several people (purpose of the subform within a subform) assigned to do something to the documents. Now I can select and store the information about several documents on a specific project, but I loose it when I try to associate the resources assigned to the documents within that project... I hope I've explained this well enoug...

Editing more than 1 table at a time with SQL.
Say I have two tables in a DB called TABLE1, and TABLE2. TABLE1 [IDNUMBER] [FIRSTNAME] 1 Ryan 2 Jennifer 3 Monica TABLE2 [IDNUMBER] [LASTNAME] 1 Johnson 2 Snipes 3 Smith My question is would I be able to use SQL in code to Edit, Delete or Insert data to both tables in one string rather than one table at a time? For instance what if I want to change both tables with a [IDNUMBER] = 2 to a [IDNUMBER] = 4, OR change the ...

Do you need MS Access to query on an Access table?
I'm asking these questions because I have looked at a lot of stuff in the discussion groups and still confused. I am fairly good at Excel programming but haven't been able to get Excel and Access to talk. First, I have Office 2003 Professional at work and Office 2003 without Access at home. I want to work on developing Excel programming at home which will get data from Access to Excel with either MS Query or with programming. Is it possible to just have the .mdb files on the home computer for Excel to work with, or do I need the Access program too? The info I want ...

Time-based floating bar chart
I have a problem similar to "Kaixi". I have data for elapsed times of backups, and I'm trying to chart the beginning and ending time of the backups for each server. The only problem is that each server may have more than one backup job, so I need to chart the elapsed time from the earliest start time to the latest end time, with gaps shown where there is no activity. The data looks like this: server start-time end-time abc 08:00 08:30 abc 08:00 08:45 abc 09:00 09:30 def 09:00 09:10 def 0...

allow multiple bin locations for items
It is common to have an item in more than one location in a store, for instance on the sales floor as well as in backstock. Item properties should support multiple Bin Locations (not just the two in my example). The averaged cost should remain the same across all quantities/locations of the item. Some allowance must be made when inputting physical inventory -- we of course want the overall quantity of items from all locations. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the &q...

Contact "Look for" won't bring up contact
Hi, we seem to have a groups of contacts that can only be located through an "Advanced Find" but not through the "Look for" finder. When they do come up in "Advanced Find" they're not editable. What could cause this? Thanks, Ken KPR, When you do a Quick Find (Look For) search in CRM, only Active CRM Records (records that have a Status of "Active") will be displayed in the Search Results view. When you search for records in the Advanced Find it will return all CRM Records (with a Status of Active and Inactive). It appears that all of the con...

Combining two types of functions. Select Query and DLookup
I would like to write a code that performs the following action: 1. If the value in a comboBox Project Number is 19912 2. Perform a select query on comboBox Task Number and comboBox National Site ID 3. If the value in a comboBox Project Number is not 19912 4. Perform a select query on comboBox Task Number and a DLookup () on comboBox National Site ID I tried the code below but it's not working. Any ideas on how to do this? If Me.cmbProjectNumber.Value="19912" then cmbNationalSiteID.RowSource = "SELECT DISTINCT [National Site ID] FROM [InScope Table] WHERE [Proje...

Conditionally formatting a cell based on other cell values
I am trying to format a cell based upon the relationship of another cell to a reference value. For instance if the reference is 5 and the other cell is 4 I want to format the original cell green, if it is the same blue and if it is less than the reference red. Can someone help please! Please give a full explanation -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "ian" wrote: > I am trying to format a cell based upon the relationship of another cell to a > reference value. For instance if the reference is 5 and t...

Counting based on Date Range
I have a an Excel spreadsheet that is linked to an Access Databas Table. Each day, the database is updated with new information including the date. I want to set up an automated Excel report tha will count the number of entries for a date range (monthly). In short I want to reference an entire column (the date column), and have th spreadsheet be able to count how many entries occurred in Jan 04, Fe 04, etc... I've played with counta and countif, but have had little success. Thoughts? Thankx, C -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com CT Here's an example using SUMIF,...

What security setting is it that allows a user to change
Hi, What is the security setting that allows a user to change a Great Plains Form thus creating a forms.dic file on the server? We are using Great Plains 7.5, citrix servers on windows 2000. I am not sure the security is in Great Plains, it is probably on the citrix box but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Connie Connie You can turn off access to the Modifier using either standard security (Setup >> System >> Security), or Advanced Security (Setup >> System >> Advanced Security). I would use Advanced Security as it is a more po...

hierarchical data
Now that Jet is being developed in-house by the Access dev team can we expect to see some movement on its querying capabilities. I for one would love to see some functionality to better aid in representing hierarchical data. SQL Server 2005 introduced "Recursive CTE's" will Access follow suit with a similar concept? If I could request only one future feature this would be it! ...

Getting query data for a report
If I have the query "UniqueCounts" and following query results: Count ServicesType 2 Food Basket 99 Men's Dorm 84 Personal Needs 5 PN Family Pack 14 Program Dorm 7 Temporary ID What would I put in a text field in a report to get the query results from Count for the ServicesType "Men's Dorm". (Which should be the value 99.) Thanks! you would want to put in 'Men's Dorm' as the criteria in the query....on in a new query that is applied to this query ...

problem in a form from crosstab query
Hi, I have a form from a crosstab query. On that form, I've added some fields to make "on the fly" calculations but they remain blank if one of the values returned from the query and used for calculation is = 0. What I can do? Thks in advance Use Nz() around each field, to replace null with zero. For example, instead of: =[A] + [B] + [C] use: =Nz([A],0) + Nz([B],0) + Nz([C],0) Here's another suggestion for getting a row total in a crosstab: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-67.html#RowTotal -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Acces...

Value copied based on choosen value from combo box
I do have two sheets SheetA and SheetB SheetA 111 100 222 200 333 300 444 400 SheetB Consists of combo box for 1st column. After choosing value, the corresponding value in the neighboring column from sheetA is copied. 333 X 222 X 444 X Sample: 444 400 What is the formula is the X cells, it should be with MATCH or COUNT / COUNTIF but I cannot get the right formula. Bart Excel 2003 How to have a value being copied to another sheet? Hi One way, in cell B2 of Sheet2 =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1;$B$100,2,0) copy down as far as required. Change the range A1:B100 to includ...