Q: Access, stop trying to be smart!

Hi all,

Using forms on Access 2003. If I have a textbox control bound to a date
field, and if I put in 12/6, it automatically changes it to 12/6/2007
(current year). However, if I put 2/29, instead of saying it's an invalid
date, it assumes I mean m/yy and changes it to 2/1/2029.

Any way to dumb it down so that it always requires a m/d/yy format to be
entered and returns an error if the date entered is invalid? I don't even
want Access to assume the year because we're dealing with 2005-2008 dates and
I think it opens up for more errors if Access assumes current year.

Thanks much!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Forgot about the input mask.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:16:03 -0800, Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Using forms on Access 2003. If I have a textbox control bound to a date
>field, and if I put in 12/6, it automatically changes it to 12/6/2007
>(current year). However, if I put 2/29, instead of saying it's an invalid
>date, it assumes I mean m/yy and changes it to 2/1/2029.
>
>Any way to dumb it down so that it always requires a m/d/yy format to be
>entered and returns an error if the date entered is invalid? I don't even
>want Access to assume the year because we're dealing with 2005-2008 dates and
>I think it opens up for more errors if Access assumes current year.
>
>Thanks much!

As much as I dislike date input masks this may be a case for one: if you use
an input mask like 90/90/00 it will force you to type month, day and (two
digit) year for all dates. Since Access' assumption that an unspecified year
can be assumed to be the current year disagrees with your business case (where
you CANNOT make that assumption!) it may be appropriate to force the user to
type a couple of extra keystrokes to ensure that the right year is entered.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/6/2007 10:19:55 PM
World + dog agrees with you. Interesting recent post here
indicated that MS was not aware of this behaviour !!!!!

Perhaps they will do usability studies now that they have noticed it?

Joel-on-software has presented the theory that MS has automated
all of the testing, so there are no testers to notice this kind of
thing, which would explain how MS could be unaware of it.

(david)

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Using forms on Access 2003. If I have a textbox control bound to a date
> field, and if I put in 12/6, it automatically changes it to 12/6/2007
> (current year). However, if I put 2/29, instead of saying it's an invalid
> date, it assumes I mean m/yy and changes it to 2/1/2029.
>
> Any way to dumb it down so that it always requires a m/d/yy format to be
> entered and returns an error if the date entered is invalid? I don't even
> want Access to assume the year because we're dealing with 2005-2008 dates
> and
> I think it opens up for more errors if Access assumes current year.
>
> Thanks much!

0
david

Access to Batch Approval
What is the security(in advanced security) we need to give users to enable the approved check box in the paybles batch entry screen (Transactions ->Purchasing ->Batches). Thanks Srinivas In Posting Setup, there is a checkbox to Require Batch Approval. "Srinivas Pathuri" wrote: > What is the security(in advanced security) we need to give users to enable > the approved check box in the paybles batch entry screen (Transactions > ->Purchasing ->Batches). > > Thanks > Srinivas > > ...

Update Excel Database via Access Main Database with a script
Hello, i am wondering about something fairly complex, i have two databases, one in the access format (the most utilized one) and another one in excel format, Since we use the Access one the most, but cannot print the informations that it contains, i was forced to create a new one which you can print off of, so here is the issue, whenever we add new information to the access database, we need to manually update the excel one and it's very unconvenient, because since we do not use it very often, it falls in the depths of The Documents. My question to any expert out there is, Is there ...

Outlook Web Access has encountered a Web browsing error
Hello - I tried to set up a signature in Outlook 2007 OWA. From Word, I copied and pasted my formatted signature into OWA/Options/Signature box. It saved. However, somehow it did not save one sentence which was in italic correctly. When I create a new email, it shows the following characters after my signature (these characters are supposed to be a sentence in italic). <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-far I cannot update or delete the signature anymore. Everytime...

[Q] Converting table
Hi Can someone tell me how to convert a table? The table was originally set up for the original POS data The new format of the POS data doesnt have the DeptNum but instead the DeptDesc In any event the table(DeptSalesDetail) that currently contains a field for Deptnum table(Depts) contains Fields (DeptID, Deptnum, DeptDesc, CatID...) What I would like to do is to add the field DeptID and eliminate the DeptNum from the table(DeptSalesDetail) How do I get the correct DeptID from the table(depts) to get in to the DeptID in the table( DeptSalesDetail) This way I can have a lookup from the ...

Access Developer
Hi All, We are about to enroll on a mini project and as part of the rollout new machines are to be installed. Some user's have an application called Access Developer. I would like to know if we install Access 2003 Pro would that be sufficient for them e to continue with their Access Development? Could anyone answer or point me in the right direction. Regards. -- Flinty I assume that ACCESS Developer is the developer version of ACCESS 2002, but you'll need to confirm that. If it is, this version of ACCESS allows the owner to create runtime versions of ACCESS applications, wh...

How to access to a CTreeCtrl item with a NMHDR struct?
I have a SDI app with a property panel on the right and tree view on the left. I want to update the property panel when I select an item on the tree, with the item data. I capture the TVN_SELCHANGED event in my own CFrameWndEx class ( CMainFrame ) . In the event handler I think that I must to cast the NMHDR structure to ... maybe a NMTVITEMCHANGE structure? And get a reference to the item with something inside the structure, but I don't know how. Some help? Thanks. "Ravnock" <Ravnock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:871B4B3A-BA21-470C-8758-579B43...

program to identify access fileversions ?
Is there a program out there that will identify an access file I have ?? so that when our version needs change ? oh and is there an faq or other just out of interest how many versions have there been - I assume someone else could point me in the right direction thanks Keith If you are talking about how to deploy changes to your front end database to each workstation, Tony Toews has an Auto Updater utility you can download from: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm If you are talking about knowing which version of Access is running, you can just use: =SysCmd(acSysCmdAc...

Outlook 2000 error code when trying to "send/receive"
I currently run Office 2000 on 98SE. I started getting an error code from my Outlook program when I try to connect to my server using "send/receive" as normal. I can not connect and I get the following error code: Ox800cccOd I can receive e-mail on my outlook express, which I brought out of moth-balls and I connect ok on Internet Explore.I have double checked ALL of my e-mail accounts settings over and over again and can not find any errors. I don't believe this is a server problem. It is something that has happened to Outlook. I have even "removed" office 2000...

How do I stop the annoying "zooming in" behavior in Vision 2003
Gurus, In Visio 2003 when I work in a drawing frequently the drawing will "zoom in" for me to the area I might be working on and then I have to click the "View Page" selection to bring the whole drawing back into the orientation I prefer (the whole page laid out on screen). How do I stop this annoying "zooming in" behavior? -- Spin On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:54:34 -0400, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote: >Gurus, > >In Visio 2003 when I work in a drawing frequently the drawing will "zoom in" >for me to the area I might ...

accessing GUI from outside gui class in MFC
Hi all, I am new to MFC programming. I have developed a MFC dialog based application with a listbox and a button. Now i have a situation where i need to access the gui outside the gui class. So for that i followed the following steps. 1. Created a variable mwnd_listbox and associated it with list box 2. Created a public method called addtolistbox(). Only line in the implementation is mwnd_listbox.AddString("Hello"); 3. Added a new cpp file and .h file call dispatch.cpp and dispatch.h 4. Now i defined a new class in dispatch.h as class dispatch { public: void write_to_gui() }; ...

automation with access
Setting up automation with access to format excel file being produced following Doug Steele's code from article Access Answers: Excelling Automatically related to formatting excel spreadsheet during export process. in this article Doug describes a process to help identify code for formatting Excel workbook by recording excel macro to help create vb code related to the formatting desired. This process has worked very well for me up until I needed to convert a range of cells from numbers stored as text to a number format. The code used to accomplish this in excel is as follo...

Recovery Storage Group error when trying to add database
Running Exchange 2003, SP1, native mode on Windows 2003 I have created a recovery storage group, and when I right click on it to add the database to recover, I get the following error: The search filter cannot be recognized. Facility: Win32 ID no: 8007203e Exchange System Manager I have verified that AD has synced. Any ideas? Hi, The problem is that in the distinguished name of the database there is a single parenthesis without its match. Examples of this would include: cn=Mailbox Store 1 (SG1,cn=First Storage Group,.... cn=Mailbox Store 1 (SG2),cn=Second Storage Group (TestServer,cn...

How do I convert an Access form into a data access page?
Is there a way to do this instead of redesigning a data access page? "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > Is there a way to do this instead of redesigning a data access page? It may not be such a great move to do so... Data Access Pages have always been limited, weren't well accepted, and have been "deprecated" in Access 2007 -- existing ones are still supported, but you can't modify them or create new ones with Access 2007. They are "on the way out." Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP ...

Can't access public folders #2
Hey guys, I have outlook open and when I try to access public folders, outlook just says Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the microsoft exchange server. Its exchange 2000, I'm using outlook 2003. Email seems to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks guys! Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hey guys, I have outlook open and when I try to access public folders, >outlook just says Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the microsoft >exchange server. Its exchange 2000, I'm using outlook 2003. Email seems to be >fine. Any ideas? Is the default public fol...

=?Utf-8?Q?T=C3=89L=C3=89CHARGEMENT_GRATUIT_ANTIVIRUS?= =?Utf-8?Q?_5768?=
Nombreux problèmes de performance et la sécurité de votre ordinateur sont causées par des virus malveillants, le meilleur moyen de lutter contre cela est d'avoir reconnu Antivirus installé et mis à jour sur votre ordinateur Antivirus télécharger gratuitement à l'adresse: http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/ Des liens de site de contenu web: http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/ http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/2010/02/quest-ce-quun-antivirus.html http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/2010/02/antivirus-gratuit-en-telechargement.html http://antivi...

Ms Access 2007 corruption issue
I was doing vba programming in access 2007 when I closed the db and tried to restart access. The configuration screen appeared and shortly there after the following message appeared: "Automatic configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access has failed. Your Database might not function correctly. This can occur if you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on this computer" I have admin rights in XP sp3 and it's been working fine for the last 2 weeks. Google search on the phrase did not return any solution. Any help...

locks up when try to print
We have a network, server is dedicated, running win2k. Workstation is also on win2k and pub 2002. Printer is on a jetdirect device and all of a sudden the program locks up when a particular user trys to print. If she moves to another machine and tries to print the 12 page document, it locks that pc up as well. Both are on win2k w/256 and 512mb of ram. Could it be the user is using up her temporary work space in the server? Is that even an issue? We tried to repair office and that did nothing to resolve the problem. We changed printers (there are about 4 lasers we can share) and it do...

Accessing Cubes -- Pivot Tables vs. Cube Analysis Add-In?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6CAA4.EBE3A5D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I am accessing some cubes created with Analysis Services on SQL 2005.=20 Wondering if anyone has a link to a website or document that can detail = the advantages (if any) of using the Cube Analysis add-in to Excel 2003 = to access these cubes versus creating an external data connection to the = OLAP cubes through the standard Pivot Tables functionality. So far I am not seeing the value of this Cub...

how can i stop excell from formatting numbers into dates?
when i type 1-3, it auto formats and writes 1-Mar, as the date, but i want to leave it as 1-3 format the cell as text first (format|cells|number tab|Text) or start with an apostrophe: '1-3 shad wrote: > > when i type 1-3, it auto formats and writes 1-Mar, as the date, but i want to > leave it as 1-3 -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com use custom opion in format cells to provide the dash, eg # - # would translate input 14 to display of 1 - 4 and still allow calcs using the value which still is 14 -- dave22q ------------------------------------------------------------...

IFD access
Hi With IFD I know you put domain.com and it adds the company name given during the setup to the host portion. Is there a way to have a company name different from the host portion of the fqdn used to acces the crm website ? Thanks Dan ...

Access Denied when getting WhoAmI?
One of our developers has encountered a VERY strange problem. When he attempts to use the default code to get the current user (bizuser WhoAmI), he get a HTTP error of Access Denied (401 I think). Nobody else has this problem, and the REALLY weird part is that he can execute other CRM functionality, such as creating a lead, etc. Any ideas? Well, the weird part is that everyone in the organization has no problems with this; we have TSCs and SCs using this daily. The share on IIS just uses the generic security of the company, and our new dev is a member of the AD just like everyone...

stop extra spaces in text? Word xp. formated font/para ok
I'm using a C.V. template, word xp 2003, when I press the space bar, the whole text moves, and I cannot correct this. I've tried font and paragraph formatting. It's now happening in another template, sometimes I add a word, and again the text spaces increase ruining the document. I would be very grateful for any help. I need to get my C.V. in the post asap, but I've opened word, and am trying to copy/paste into it as a last resort. HELP! Kind Regards, What do you mean by "the whole text moves"? What "text spaces" increase? On Apr 27, 11:20...

Characters not recognized by Access in source data (e.g., apostrop
I created an Access table by accessing external tables (using ODBC). The problem is that the source data contains characters that Access does not recognize such as apostrophe, quotes and bullets. The resulting table displays these as a diamond with a question mark. Is there a workaround for this such that the character is displayed? Many thanks. hi, JE wrote: > I created an Access table by accessing external tables (using ODBC). The > problem is that the source data contains characters that Access does not > recognize such as apostrophe, quotes and bullets. The resulting...

Trying to link data from one sheet to another
I have a workbook set up in 13 worksheets. 12 for the months for data to be entered, and one for a master. when I enter data into these worksheets I want all the data to be sent to the master worksheet automaticly without copy and paste. How do i do this? Assuming all the sheets are the same - 1. This method uses Excel's ability to group sheets. Position your summary sheet as the first sheet. Start your formula by typing = SUM( into a cell in the summary sheet. Select the same cell in the next sheet. Hold down Shift key. Click name tab of current sheet. Click name tab of last sheet....

A tape access reached a filemark
Hi We are using DPM 2007 with a HP 1x8 LTO1 Autoloader (232) on a Server 2003 box. It has been running fine for a good year now, I recently received some new media this morning, but when I add to the library and attempt to run an inventory of the library I receive the following error for both of the new tapes: The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: A tape access reached a filemark (0x8007044D)) This is the same model HP tape we have used previously and they have simply worked without any issues. Is this likely to be due to faulty med...