Processing Functions in a Table

Hi,

I'm running Access 2003.  I have a table that contains the following
information:

Item		Count
---		---
Postings                   =DCount("*","tblDocBoat","[ToPost]=True")
Floating Copies	=DCount("*","tblFloatingCopy","[Approved] = False")
Releases	                =DCount("*","tblReleaseReq","[Processed] =
False")

Is there a way when I can get the functions to process, rather than
showing the code, when viewing the table through a form or simply
viewing the table?  i.e:

Item		Count
---		---
Postings	                23
Floating Copies	11
Releases	                18

Thanks in advance for any help.

 - Tony

0
tonyrusin
7/13/2007 3:44:18 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Check out the Eval() function, using something like:

    Me!txtYourPostingsTextControl = Eval(>>a reference to the 'value' in
that column<<)

You might need to create a recordset and refer to the field.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

<tonyrusin@westportshipyard.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Access 2003.  I have a table that contains the following
> information:
>
> Item Count
> --- ---
> Postings                   =DCount("*","tblDocBoat","[ToPost]=True")
> Floating Copies =DCount("*","tblFloatingCopy","[Approved] = False")
> Releases                 =DCount("*","tblReleaseReq","[Processed] =
> False")
>
> Is there a way when I can get the functions to process, rather than
> showing the code, when viewing the table through a form or simply
> viewing the table?  i.e:
>
> Item Count
> --- ---
> Postings                 23
> Floating Copies 11
> Releases                 18
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> - Tony

0
Jeff
7/13/2007 4:25:19 PM
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:44:18 -0700, tonyrusin@westportshipyard.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running Access 2003.  I have a table that contains the following
>information:
>
>Item		Count
>---		---
>Postings                   =DCount("*","tblDocBoat","[ToPost]=True")
>Floating Copies	=DCount("*","tblFloatingCopy","[Approved] = False")
>Releases	                =DCount("*","tblReleaseReq","[Processed] =
>False")
>
>Is there a way when I can get the functions to process, rather than
>showing the code, when viewing the table through a form or simply
>viewing the table?  i.e:
>
>Item		Count
>---		---
>Postings	                23
>Floating Copies	11
>Releases	                18
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> - Tony

Stop.

Tables ARE NOT SPREADSHEETS. They are repositories for data (not for
expressions), and should be used *as* repositories for data - not for viewing
or for calculating.

Create a Form with three textboxes; it can be based on the table, with the
textboxes independent of the. But... do you really want the total count of
records in these three tables, without reference to any other field (such as
some field in the form on which you're displaying this)?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

EVALUATE Function
I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much information on Excel's EVALUATE Function. I see it being used but don't seem to have it in my function list with Excel 2003. Can someone provide an explanation of the EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history, etc. Thanks for your help. Hi Frank, Evaluate is not a function, hence u can't see it in the function list. It is a formula auditing tool, located in Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate Formula (EF) . Basicaly if you enter a formula in a cell and use the EF it will show you exactly h...

sales line item workflow and process holds and requested ship date
It would be nice if we could set up workflow tracking per line item as well as assign process holds per line item in Sales Trx Entry. It would also be nice to have the abilility to fulfill all items on an order through a specified requested ship date and leave items with future requested ship dates unfulfilled. Then to be able to transfer and ship items that have been fulfilled without having to fulfill those with future requested ship dates. Right now I have to backorder those items that have future requested ship dates just so I can transfer and fulfill the other items on the order...

adding cross-functional flowchart changes page-layout
i would like to add to a "landscape" page a stencil>flowchart>cross-functional flowchart shapes vertical. when adding it the page converse automatically to a "portrait" page, while it should remain "landscape" the same happens if I add cross-functional flowchart shapes horizontal to a "portrait" page. it changes into a "landscape" page. can I avoid this? thx, kjetil I can't think of a way to avoid having the page orientation switch to portrait when you drop the functional band shape out and pick vertical. Visio automatically cha...

how do i delete cells or duplicate cells in a table ?
I went to make a table with 8 colums and 3 rows, which turned out fine..but now i need to make 3 more rows added on but half the size long with only 2 colums.. so i figure i can just duplicate or copy from my table 3 of these rows and shirk it and delete 1 cell...but trying to get help on how to add or remove cells seems the hard part ...

Microsoft Word crop function
When using the Picture toolbar and the crop function in Word (Word 2002 SP3), what is the most practical way to decrease the coarseness of the cropping of an image? Previously, I was using the freeware 20/20 image editing program to rubberband an image with the mouse and could easily paste it into a Word or PowerPoint file using Windows XP Professional 32-bit at my workplace. We've gone to XP 64-bit and the 20/20 image editing program doesn't work. Does someone know of a licensed image editor that is compatible with XP 64-bit if no other method is practical through cro...

SMALL Function question
Hi All, First off, many thanks that assisted me in getting my golf score sheet running properly with the MATCH & INDEX stuff...it works great. I have a problem with the SMALL function...I have a list of 5 lowest scores returned from a range called 'calcutta'. In the adjacent cell I have the coresponding name returned ato match the score with the player. The problem is with ties. If two players hve the same score the SMALL function returns the first one it finds in each cell. I use it like this G1=SMALL(CALCUTTA,1) G2=SMALL(CALCUTTA,2) ETC.... "Monte Comeau" <...

Sum & report contents of table containing text values?
Can excel summate and report in charts text information recorded in a single table. EG Columns entitled Hair, Eyes, Height with values blue brown green auburn blond dark tall short medium. etc -- Neil You could use a pivot table to summarize the data, and create a chart from that. There are instructions and links here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html For example, put Hair in the row area and Eyes in the column area. Put Height in the data area, as Count of height. Neil wrote: > Can excel summate and report in charts text information recorded in a single > table. ...

Visual Basic
Hi, I trying to create a table using visual basic, when i try to run it. It prompt me "No fields defined, can't append Table or Index. Anyone, could highlight to me what is the problem. My code is as follows: Public Sub PCreateTable() Dim dbs As DAO.Database Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef Dim idx As DAO.Index Dim fldTradeDate As DAO.Field Dim fldStockName As DAO.Field Dim fldRemarks As DAO.Field Dim fldCurrency As DAO.Field Dim fldClose As DAO.Field Dim fldChange As DAO.Field Dim fldVolume As DAO.Field Dim fldHigh As DAO.Field Dim fldLow As DAO.Field Dim fldValue As DAO.Field Dim fldDay...

CRM database archiving process
I would like to see, and I have talked to others who would like to see, a Microsoft supported Archiving process where we can select the archiving time for each entity seperately. It would be nice to be able to set different archiving times as our different departments require different lengths of times to archive for the entites they are working with. Thank You, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see...

Refreshing a pivot table #2
I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying again in the hope that somebody knows the answer.....!! When using a pivot table, is it possible to refresh only certain columns rather than the whole table?? Any urgent help would be appreciated. Thank you. Louise You can't refresh only part of a pivot table. Perhaps you could make a copy of the source data, change only the data you want updated in the pivot table, and base the pivot table on that. Louise wrote: > I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying > ...

Keep Pivot Table custom chart type
I'm creating a pivot table custom chart type "Line - Column on 2 Axes". The chart looks great when I create it. The problem is when the user does anything to the chart (filters the data, adds a new flield of data, etc.), the chart changes to where both data series are displayed as bar charts and the second axis is gone. I can't find an event that fires when they modify the chart, so I don't know that I can programatically change it back. Is there a way to keep it from changing in the first place? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks! Loss of formatting is a known prob...

Smart list data not in tables
I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list but is not veiwed in the tables....any easy way to get the data back in the tables. MR Have you used some tool like Query Analyzer to view the suspected tables? If you will tell me the SmartList you are trying to view, I'll give you the tables. There is no way SL is showing nonexistent data; it's just a report writer. "Mike R" <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12CC49A0-FB4F-48F8-AAD8-7EBB2D973CCE@microsoft.com... >I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list b...

Countifs function equivalent for Excel 2002 (XP)
I need the functionality of COUNTIFS but for Excel 2002. I don't want to sum but rather count. Below is the formula I would use if I had the COUNTIFS function. =COUNTIFS(A3:A7764,"PGA",J3:J7764,"x") Any suggestions? =sumproduct(--(a3:a7764="pga"),--(j3:j7764="x")) Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns (except in xl2007+). =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses to 1's and 0's. Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here: http://www.x...

pivot table: create worksheetsheet using pivot table
While working in a pivot table, I accidentally created a new worksheet in my file with isolated data from the report e.g. pivot table shows all days of the month with totals for each deposit account... my 'accident' created a sheet with all the data for a single date. It turns out, this would be a useful tool for my manager, but we cannot reproduce my accident. My mouse was on the blitz and after a few solo selections the new worksheet appeared. Does anyone know how to do this (intentionally)? Please help. ...

Pivot Tables as Data Source
Does anyone know how to create a Pivot Table with multiple Pivot Tables as it's source? The source Pivot Tables retrieve data from different locations and are structured in the same way as each other, with the same dimensions - I would like to produce a summary Pivot Table. Thanks Stephen ...

IE8 and iexplore.exe process
Is it normal for two iexplore.exe processes to be running when a single tab is open? http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/multiple-instances-of-iexploreexe-run-when-using-internet-explorer-8/ --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est Jason Piercey wrote: > Is it normal for two iexplore.exe processes to be running when > a single tab is open? > > Thank you. "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ulJYjg%23rKHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/multiple-instances-of-iexploreexe-run-when-using-in...

Retreiving Data From CBM Tables
Hi, I'm facing some problem in retrieving CBM Tables in order to design a report for my customer. For my report I want to list out the Payments Posted Records from CBM and for that I have joined the two tables i.e. CB900035 & CB777001 BELOW IS MY QUERY: SELECT B.CHEKNMBR, A.CHEKBKID, B.CB_Trans_Amount, B.CB_Type_Description, A.CB_TRANS_TYPE FROM CB900035 A, CB777001 B WHERE A.DOCNUMBR=B.CHEKNMBR AND A.CBVOIDEDCANCELLED='' AND A.CB_TRANS_TYPE='P' AND A.CHEKBKID ='BatchNO' AND A.DATE1='12-31-2005' -------------------------------- In some cases the...

Sumif function and negative value together
Hi, Is there a way to combine these two functions together? =SUMIF(AP:AP,B4,AS:AS) =IF(F3<0,J3*F3,J3) What I am trying to do is to pick up cost from a different table b using sumif function. But sometimes, there is a return - I want th sumif function to pick up cost and if it is a negative quantity, I wan it to reverse the sign. Thanks for your help. Regards, BG -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =ABS(SUMIF(AP:AP,B4,AS:AS)) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) &q...

how to stop a thread early in the process of closing a window
I have an MFC program that uses this thread to continuously update some animation: while (!m_StopFrameTrigger) { Sleep(10); Invalidate(false); } when I close the window, I often get errors. From the callstack I see that the last call was the above invalidate. I need to make sure this thread gets stopped before the window is closed. setting m_StopFrameTrigger to true in OnClose isn't fast/early enough. What might work? -j Don't use the sleep function Try to create a "waitable object" like Event, and use "wait" instead of sleep and with the timeout, and che...

creating a table with multiple columns
for a High School science project my daughter created a survey with 39 possible responses (3 groups of 13 responses in each group) the people taking the survey are supposed to pick the top 4 responses in each group (numbered 1-4, 1 being the highest). Other information is Age, grade and gender of the person taking the survey. What would be the best way to create the table and eventually charts to diplay the results of the survey? I was thinking of a flat table with a number in the cells correspondig to their answers but I have no idea how to create the charts or compare the answers w...

QS Hook Function Question
Based on the surfpro.dll example, I have roughed out a prospective function that I hope will allow me to initiate a membership style control over POS transactions. I'm not 100% sure how to call a QSBridge FireEvent -- ClearCustomer as the POS requires a Customer to complete a sale, so I figure no customer, or take away the customer, no sale... right? In VB6 this morning, the Date function, literally returned 6/28/2005. Great! If the Customer Expiration Date is stored in CustomDate1, then a quick subtraction and a few conditionals should do it. The subtraction returned an integer calc of t...

Table Import #3
Hi there I am looking at using the Table iMport fuction to update and populate some added modules to our existing GP V10 install. although I am having a problem finding documentation on this tool. Say for example...I need to bring in new inventory Items...which I have used Integration Manager to do before...does table import insert record or just update current records??? Does someone have the linkls to the documentation?? Since adding the Manufacturing modules to our existing install...some functionality with IM has stopped working as in updating the Standard Costs on the Item card...

Case being changed in table
I have a Text field in a table. It has no Format or Input Mask specified. When I enter Two Capital letters in a row (and more than three characters), something is changing the second letter to lower case. If I enter Three Capital letters in a row, then the second letter is NOT changed to lower case. How do I prevent this from happening? Example: I enter ABCtest, and I get ABCtest I enter ABtest, and I get Abtest.....THIS IS WRONG I enter AB Test, and I get AB Test It's the AutoCorrect options. Not sure what version of Access you are running, but in 2003, Select Tools - ...

If to sum function.
I created a cell so that everytime I enter a text from some other cells, it will add 1 to the value of the cell, otherwise, it won't add anything. If I enter no text or a number in the other cells, this cell will display 0. The formulas for the cell is like this: =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D13:S13),1,0)) After entering text to three other cells, this cell will display a value of 3. However, I want that valued to be 1 less than. I cannot do this. If I put minus 1 with an if statement, this cell will display a value of -1 when no text is entered in other cells. Any folks have any idea how ...

Reports -- "Update in Process"
When I select the Reports menu button, in Money 2006, I get a a screen saying Update in Process, you will be asked to restart Money to access this feature after update is complete. The bar graph remains stuck at 1%, although I have a good connection, and get windows updates etc. both at home and work, but the problem still persists. I get the same thing (I think). It says "Upgrade In Progress" and says that I will be niotified. There have been times, however, when I get in that the bar graph is up to 85% or even as high as 100%. If I go to some other area of Money and then...