Pressing Tab to add a new record at the end of one record in a for

Back in Access 97 and 2003, I noticed that when you reach the end of a record
in a form and press tab, it used to take you to a new record. But, in Access
2007, it's not doing that. Please let me know what I need to check for to
enable this function.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

There's a form property (Cycle) that affects how a <Tab> affects the screen.

You can set it to (re-)cycle back through the fields of the record you're
on, or move to the next record.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"briangw" <briangw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Back in Access 97 and 2003, I noticed that when you reach the end of a
> record
> in a form and press tab, it used to take you to a new record. But, in
> Access
> 2007, it's not doing that. Please let me know what I need to check for to
> enable this function.

0
Jeff
1/2/2008 11:14:10 PM
Thanks! That worked! One more question. How can you setup the form to
automatically start at a new record upon opening the DB without hiding the
previous records? Whenever I launch the DB, it always starts at record 1.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> There's a form property (Cycle) that affects how a <Tab> affects the screen.
>
> You can set it to (re-)cycle back through the fields of the record you're
> on, or move to the next record.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "briangw" <briangw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Back in Access 97 and 2003, I noticed that when you reach the end of a
> > record
> > in a form and press tab, it used to take you to a new record. But, in
> > Access
> > 2007, it's not doing that. Please let me know what I need to check for to
> > enable this function.

Are you saying you want to ONLY add new records?  If so, check the form
property DataEntry (=Yes).

(PS ... then how will you edit a previously-entered record?)

> Thanks! That worked! One more question. How can you setup the form to
> automatically start at a new record upon opening the DB without hiding the
> previous records? Whenever I launch the DB, it always starts at record 1.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> There's a form property (Cycle) that affects how a <Tab> affects the
>> screen.
>>
>> You can set it to (re-)cycle back through the fields of the record you're
>> on, or move to the next record.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "briangw" <briangw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Back in Access 97 and 2003, I noticed that when you reach the end of a
>> > record
>> > in a form and press tab, it used to take you to a new record. But, in
>> > Access
>> > 2007, it's not doing that. Please let me know what I need to check for
>> > enable this function.

0
Jeff
1/3/2008 4:17:57 PM
It sounds to me like he wants it to be able to add AND edit but open
on a new record rather then number 1.
0
Thardy
1/3/2008 5:26:39 PM
Feel free to offer a solution to your interpretation...

"Thardy" <thardy@normandeau.com> wrote in message
> It sounds to me like he wants it to be able to add AND edit but open
> on a new record rather then number 1.

0
Jeff
1/3/2008 8:29:56 PM
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:26:39 -0800 (PST), Thardy <thardy@normandeau.com> wrote:

>It sounds to me like he wants it to be able to add AND edit but open
>on a new record rather then number 1.

if so, put code in the form's Load event:

Private Sub Form_Load()
DoCmd.GoToRecord acForm, Me.Name, acNewRecord
End Sub

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/3/2008 8:32:43 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do

"Thardy" wrote:

> It sounds to me like he wants it to be able to add AND edit but open
> on a new record rather then number 1.

Thank you. I will try that.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:26:39 -0800 (PST), Thardy <thardy@normandeau.com> wrote:
>
> >It sounds to me like he wants it to be able to add AND edit but open
> >on a new record rather then number 1.
>
> if so, put code in the form's Load event:
>
> Private Sub Form_Load()
> DoCmd.GoToRecord acForm, Me.Name, acNewRecord
> End Sub
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

That did not work. Under the code builder, I added it, but upon opening the
form, I got

" Run-time error '2105':

You can't go to the specified record."

Any ideas?

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:40:02 -0800, briangw <briangw@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>That did not work. Under the code builder, I added it, but upon opening the
>form, I got
>
>" Run-time error '2105':
>
>You can't go to the specified record."
>
>Any ideas?

Just an apology for posting in haste, and a correction:

 DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, Me.Name, acNewRec

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/7/2008 8:46:19 PM
It worked! Thanks!

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:40:02 -0800, briangw <briangw@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >That did not work. Under the code builder, I added it, but upon opening the
> >form, I got
> >
> >" Run-time error '2105':
> >
> >You can't go to the specified record."
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> Just an apology for posting in haste, and a correction:
>
>  DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, Me.Name, acNewRec
>

>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Delete records in a worksheet
I'm working on a simple program that lets the user enter, edit and print the data. I developed the program using Microsoft Excel 2003 with VBE. The problem is that, under Edit button I want to enable the user to edit the existing data and save as well as to save as another name. But, how to let the user delete the data in the worksheet? Example : When the user clicked on Delete button, an input box will appear as to ask which data to be deleted. When the user entered the name of the file, it will automatically delete the entire data corresponding to the filename. There are 2 datas with...

How do I set up formula to copy format from one worksheet to anoth
How do I set up a formula to copy both value and format from one worksheet to another? When I use the = sign, it copy the value only. How do I get the format be copied also? you can't "link" the formatting in the same way as you link the contents what you need to do is to copy all the cells in your sheet X A B C ... 1 2 click on the grey square which I have illustrated with the X this selects all the cells in the sheet press control-C (copy) go to your new sheet and select the same X square now do edit > paste special > format / column width. if you are doin...

Is it possible to host one domain in two servers?
Hello all, I'm currently working on adding a new server in a new branch location. Right now I have SBS 2003 and it's working fine. The people in the branch will just VPN in to retreive their emails. As that branch grows, there's a need for a faster email. I'm planning to add a new Exchange server on that branch machine. Is there a way to separate mailboxes to two different servers under one domain? For example: person1@domain.com will go to server1.domain.com and person2@domain.com will go to server2.domain.com. Thanks, Jerry Generally speaking, yes, Exchange definitely al...

Record auto numbering
I suppose I shouldn't be concerned, but my record autonumbering jumped from 135 to 432,233 when I was trying to copy and paste common info. Any way to reset? Access Rookie If the numbers don't have "meaning" nor need to be sequential, no problem. Actually if they needed to be sequential or have meaing, there would be a problem as autonumbers often aren't as you just found out. Still that is quite a jump. Copying and pasting can be a problem. It's better to import instead. You could empty the table, like exporting to Excel, then do a compact and ...

Show <> Records Between 2 Tables ?? (ANTI-Join)
Folks, I've got 2 tables. One has 2000 records (original) The Second has 1000 (created from the Original with 1000 records removed). There is a unique ID (which is in the Original and the Second for matching like records...the CustomerNum). I'm familiar with creating a query that would join them at the CustomerNum.... which would generate a list of records with matching CusterNums in each table) In the New Query dialog box, there's a wizard to create an Unmatched Query. That's what you're looking for. One of the tables has to be the "base" table, so you m...

error on excel 2000 when inserting new column
This message occur-" To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below your data. Then select cell A1,and save yur workbook to reset the last cell used or, yo can move the data to a new location and try again." please help me about this. thanks! Jaypee Unless you specifically reset excels usedrange occassionally, you can find that lots of inserting can mean that excel thinks it has data far more to the right or below of where you think. If you then try to insert say a colum...

Assign Records to different organizations
Hi Guys, I have a customer interested in CRM Titan as it supports multiple organizations in one single installation but he has a requirement which is the ability to assign a record (a contact for example) to a different organization. For ex. I have Organization A and Organization B and I have a contact in Organization A, and I would like to assign it to a user in Organization B. is this possible? The organization support in titan allows the same hardware to be used for different installation of CRM. These organizations used sepparate databases. So sharing data is not an out-of-the-box ...

duplicate records
Hi, using sql2005. I want to select unique records from a table. Unfortunitely the field that is used to sort the output cannot be in the select distinct statement. Any ideas? Many thanks, Jonathan > Hi, using sql2005. I want to select unique records from a table. > Unfortunitely the field that is used to sort the output cannot be in the > select distinct statement. Any ideas? If I understand correctly, you have a scenario like: CREATE TABLE dbo.FooBar( Foo int NOT NULL, Bar int NOT NULL ); INSERT INTO dbo.FooBar VALUES (1,1), (1,3), ...

View All Records CMD button error
Hi all, Access 2007, Vista SP2, Ultimate 32 bit I have a filter form on which I have combo boxes to filter by specific criteria. I also have a command button that should open the record display form to show all records with the following behind the button: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Private Sub cmdViewAll_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdViewAll_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "frmMedsRec" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Exit_cmdViewAll_Click: Exit Sub Err_cmdViewAll_Click: MsgBox Err.Des...

Unique records from a range
Hi, I have a problem that I cant work out... I have a spreadsheet that plots out employees names and % worked o programs (Rows) against a list of programs (Columns). As the people can work on many programs I need to be able to create formula that analyses the rows, creates a unique list of names and the sums up their complete time worked on programs. Obviously if it sums up to over 100% per employee, then I know th resources are stretched and we need to hire in more people. Is there any way of doing this? I have attached a file that illustrates what I am trying to acheive. I tried using ...

Add Actual End Date to Resolved Cases view
Hi We would like to add the actual end date to the Case General Tab or possibly to the Resolved Cases and/or My Resolved Cases view. I know that the Actual End Date is available on the Service Activity and Case Resolution but this field is not available for the Case. Any workaround for this? Thanks Mark ...

Use Data from one sheet to populate Purchase Order on another sheet -Excel 2002
Hello, Wonder if this is possible.. Sheet1 - has a 'list' of parts that need to be ordered - their description, qty, type of material, part number etc Sheet2 - I want to create a requisition from those items listed on Sheet1 based on type of material... Basically need to take the data from Sheet 1 (can be 50 - 200 items/parts) keyed in by designers and create a purchase order requisition for our vendors/suppliers based on the type of material. Is there a way to extract.. say. material is H20.. and of them 50 items keyed in.. 10 of them are H20.. so that I can fill in the qty, descr...

Can i let 1(one) person see the adress lists
Hi all (I really hope you can help me on this) I have one user who needs to control who is on the lists on the exchange server. I have hide the users who is on the lists from the domain users becausethey change the users and cause trouble. Is there any way that i can give this one user access to still view who is on the lists and control/add/delete if she needs to.Please, please tell me this is possible as it would make my life MUCH easier Thanks eveyone On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:43:00 +0200, "MSExchange2003Student" <exchangestudent@newsgroups.com> wrote: >Hi all &g...

Copying entries from one folder to another
We're using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. Up until about a week ago, I used to be able to create an entry in the calendar and then use "Copy to Folder" to copy the entry to my task list. I also used to copy & paste e-mail messages into individual contact files or or task entries. However, now when I try to Copy to Folder, I get an error message "Cannot complete the copy operation. The items may have been moved or deleted, or you may not have sufficient permission." I can't copy anything and the e-mail messages that have been copied into a contact or ...

Add items together after a sort
I've added the AutoFilter on a few columns and I would like a column to add up. I know about subtotal(9,rage) but when I say add, not as in math, as the column has text in it. It is a column of states (FL, TX, NY, etc.) When I filter on something else I'd like to see at the bottom something that looks like this if I had three rows after the filter. Lets say the states in those rows were FL, TX & NY What do I do so I get ~FL~TX~NY~ then if I change the filter and I have FL, SC, NV, TX, WA I'd get ~FL~SC~NV~TX~WA~ I'm using Excel 2007 Thanks, Mark ...

New DST time zone tool ALERT!!!
We are going through the DST changes here this weekend and it is a PAIN. We have over 600 Public Folders that we are having to update manually. BEWARE!!!!! If you use the tool built into MS Outlook 7, it will update all calendar items regardless of the date. Some of our calendars have over 6000 appointments and the tool in Outllok 7 tries to update them ALL. If you run the TZMove.msi file, it only updates the affected appointments, NOT ALL OF THEM!!!!! Of course Microsoft neglected to mention that in all of their documentation on this issue. Thanks Microsoft for another omission of...

MS Office for Mac
I'm in the process of purchasing a MAC, but need to know if MS Office for MAC include their One Note application. I use this app extensively for work and it may be the deciding factor. I searched and googled everything possible, but couldn't find the answer. Anyone know? In article <1191605020.863852.230030@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, espinosa.pablo@gmail.com wrote: > I'm in the process of purchasing a MAC, but need to know if MS Office > for MAC include their One Note application. I use this app extensively > for work and it may be the deciding factor. No ...

New migrated users dont have Exchange attributes
Hi All, After Exchange 2k3 SP1 installation user migrated with Active Directory Migration Tool don´t receive Exchange 2k3 attributes. Users migrated before SP1 installation, has these attributes. Any suggestion ? Very thank´s ...

Security Required for Record Merge
Hi I am having a little problem with allowing users to merge records in V3. I have created custom security roles ensuring that the 'Merge' option in the Misc privileges section of the Business Mgt tab is set to 'Organisation'. Even with this set, the users get an error that they do not have access to Merge if they try to merge accounts or contacts. If I give them the 'System Admin' role they can carry out the task OK. If I copy the System Admin role and remove the customisation privilages then they again get the error. It is not to do with owners of the reco...

Recorded Macro Codes, Contain Errors
Hi people I had tried using Marco Recorder to get the codes required for plotting a chart It appears that the codes are given incorrectly, there are certain part of the codes have runtime error =============================================== Charts.Ad ActiveChart.ApplyCustomType ChartType:=xlBuiltIn, TypeName:= "Line - Column on 2 Axes ================================================== ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet, Name:="asdasd With ActiveChar .HasTitle = Tru .ChartTitle.Characters.Text = "charttitle .Axes(xlCa...

new mail notification #4
Have a user that has had the little envelope disappear, so when she gets new email now it does not show up in the tool bar, i've looked everywhere but cant seem to find where the settings are for this, she is using outlook 2000 thanks das ...

New email notification and unread mail
System: XP/Outlook 2003 I have about 20 rules that redirect my incoming mail into my subfolders. I’ve set up a rule that displays a new mail desktop alert no matter what. Now, I would like to have an envelope in the system tray if there is still anything unread – just like in the old version (I think OE works the same way). Is it possible? Anyone? Should I just not file messages before I read them? "Stan Q." wrote: > System: XP/Outlook 2003 > I have about 20 rules that redirect my incoming mail into my subfolders. > I’ve set up a rule that displays a new mail des...

Selecting particular records #2
Hi I have an excel sheet with dialog box having default values.I wan particular records from the sheet when I click any value in the dialo box.Like when I click the first value it should show me the 1-5 records and for the second value it should show next 50 records in th sheet.I would appreciate if someone helps me. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, If no one else responds, send me a sample sheet or your workbook up to 1mb, and I will write something for you. Please provide as much info as possible. But what you may need are scroll bars that, when moved, show...

New iMac
I just bought my first Apple computer after many years as a PC user. I currently take classes on line and had to download a test drive version of Word. I have purchased MacOffice but it says to uninstall any test drive versions first. How do I do that? Second, how do I set up a Password protected desktop. That way when the computer is powered up, no one can have access unless they have the password. Thanks, CowboyFan4Ever On 30/1/07 19:46, in article 1170182814.000180.60920@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com, "juanruthie@yahoo.com" <juanruthie@yahoo.com> wrote: > I ...

move a row of data from one work sheet to another using a formula
Hello, I am trying to create a formula that will move the contents of an entire row in one worksheet or multiple worksheets into a single worksheet that accumulates all the rows. Specifically, I have multiple worksheets created that have the same format as far as the cells and rows go. The text in each cell and row is different and some of the cells contain formulas. There will be a column of cells with no text in each worksheet. When I enter a number into that empty cell it changes the numbers in a few of the other cells within that row. I want the rows with values in the c...