Open access in oxn user workspace

Hi,

I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.

Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
in is own workspace?

Thx

0
HDI
4/27/2007 10:21:04 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

use Access Data Projects and give everyone their own database

that way, everything is in one place, instead of in 100 different
files for each user

On Apr 27, 3:21 am, HDI <h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
> Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> in is own workspace?
>
> Thx

0
aaron
4/27/2007 3:35:20 PM
you should just use Access Data Projects.

it is really really easy to give different users 'different copies of
queries' for example

and this just isn't possible in the MDB world

"HDI" <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
> Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> in is own workspace?
>
> Thx

0
Aaron
4/27/2007 8:06:58 PM
On 27 apr, 22:06, "Aaron Kempf" <ake...@dol.wa.gov> wrote:
> you should just use Access Data Projects.
>
> it is really really easy to give different users 'different copies of
> queries' for example
>
> and this just isn't possible in the MDB world
>
> "HDI" <h...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
> > Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> > in is own workspace?
>
> > Thx- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

OK, but  my back end has still access databases.

0
HDI
5/6/2007 5:21:27 PM
nobody should use MDB for anything

i'm sorry that you're too dumb to be a programmer

MDB isn't reliable

if it was a car, you guys would have traded it in under 'lemon laws'

On May 6, 10:21 am, HDI <h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 apr, 22:06, "Aaron Kempf" <ake...@dol.wa.gov> wrote:
>

> > you should just use Access Data Projects.
>
> > it is really really easy to give different users 'different copies of
> > queries' for example
>
> > and this just isn't possible in the MDB world
>
> > "HDI" <h...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi,
>
> > > I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
> > > Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> > > in is own workspace?
>
> > > Thx- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>
> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -
>
> OK, but  my back end has still access databases.- Hide quoted text -

aaron
5/7/2007 1:07:26 AM
HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>OK, but  my back end has still access databases.

Aaron's answer for every question is to use ADPs and SQL Server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
>Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
>in is own workspace?

There is a CreateWorkspace method with lots of explanation in the
code.  I suspect that isn't exactly what you are looking for.

What is your objective?  What are you trying to do?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
Tony
5/7/2007 6:31:37 PM
Tony's answer for everything is to use MDB files

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, but  my back end has still access databases.
>
> Aaron's answer for every question is to use ADPs and SQL Server.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

0
Aaron
5/7/2007 11:43:00 PM
he's trying to allow different users to have different copies of the same
query

SQL Server allows this.. and you don't need multiple files

> HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
> >
> >Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> >in is own workspace?
>
> There is a CreateWorkspace method with lots of explanation in the
> code.  I suspect that isn't exactly what you are looking for.
>
> What is your objective?  What are you trying to do?
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

0
Aaron
5/7/2007 11:43:36 PM
seriously tony

argue against the facts

SQL Server allows a different copy OF EVERY OBJECT FOR EVERY PARTICULAR USER

Does MDB?

SQL Server lets you do this in a managed way-- in one place-- on a server

"Aaron LIVES!" <akempf@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> he's trying to allow different users to have different copies of the same
> query
>
> SQL Server allows this.. and you don't need multiple files
>

> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
> > >
> > >Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> > >in is own workspace?
> >
> > There is a CreateWorkspace method with lots of explanation in the
> > code.  I suspect that isn't exactly what you are looking for.
> >
> > What is your objective?  What are you trying to do?
> >
> > Tony
> > --
> > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> >    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> > read the entire thread of messages.
> >    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> > http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

0
Susie
5/8/2007 12:48:55 AM
On 7 mei, 20:31, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> HDI <h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I have multiple access front end object that are not multi user.
>
> >Is it possible (and how of course) to open a access front end object
> >in is own workspace?
>
> There is a CreateWorkspace method with lots of explanation in the
> code.  I suspect that isn't exactly what you are looking for.
>
> What is your objective?  What are you trying to do?
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

There are a lot of access programs that I have to rewrite with the
back end a sql server.
But I can't do everything at the same time.

So the problem is that the access front end files are on a share (A
access front end per user isn't an option for this situation) and the
reports are build on queries (build in code). So you see what happens
if more than one user is logged in. (Report A is build on query A and
query A is build on query B and query B is build on query C).

So if i know an easy access solution for this problem the users can
work for now and I can take my time for building a sql server
solution.

So my question is:

Is there a way that the user opens a front end and work in his own
workspace so he can create queries and other users can't see them.
Of course the best one.

If that isn't possible can I create the queries in memory and not in
the access front end file.

Don't blame me it is written in the past and I have to solve this.

0
HDI
5/8/2007 8:51:06 AM
HDI <hdinf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There are a lot of access programs that I have to rewrite with the
>back end a sql server.
>But I can't do everything at the same time.
>
>So the problem is that the access front end files are on a share (A
>access front end per user isn't an option for this situation)

Why is an Access FE per user not an option?  Can you at least give each user their
own FE on the server?

We strongly, strongly urge each user to have their own copy of the FE.  Preferably on
their local system but on the server otherwise.

>and the
>reports are build on queries (build in code). So you see what happens
>if more than one user is logged in. (Report A is build on query A and
>query A is build on query B and query B is build on query C).

So the code creates the queries in the MDB?  That's interesting.   Usually I just
pass a WHERE clause to the report.  Or the queries the report is based on uses
various fields on a form with selection criteria such as Job number, client name or
date ranges.

>Is there a way that the user opens a front end and work in his own
>workspace so he can create queries and other users can't see them.
>Of course the best one.

Not to my knowledge.

>If that isn't possible can I create the queries in memory and not in
>the access front end file.

Again not to my knowledge.

>Don't blame me it is written in the past and I have to solve this.

Not a problem there.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
Tony

user initials and auto correction
Hi, Can someone please help me with the following...? People usually type JD in the To: field when they want to send me an email via Outlook. After a recent addition and deletion of another account with the initials of JD I'm finding that it is default to this user - and it's not even trying to qualify the correct recipient with a list of possible users, like it does with other similar users. I would like it to ask for qualification and also default to my account. Any ideas anyone? Thanks, Joe "Joey D" <joeydocherty2404@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Can...

SharePoint (WSS) 2007 / Outlook 2007 - Alert
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AD_01C70E47.83B45950 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have setup a SharePoint Server (WSS) 2007 and are using the alerting = functionality. After we changes stuff on WSS, an alert message is generated and sent to = an email account. This e-mail account is hosted on an Exchange 2003 server. When using Outlook 2007 to open the e-mail, we get: Cannot open this item. Wenn using OWA the e-mail can be opene fine. Does somehow have an explanation for th...

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

disable Review toolbar which came up automatically when opening a.
How can I disable the Review Toolbar which comes up automatically when opening a file? In the Workbook VBA actions. The top left hand corner there is an Excel logo, not the one in th blue program bar, but in the menu bar. Right Click and select "View Code" There will be two drop down boxes one that will probably say General if this has never been entered previously. Change the box on the right to Workbook. Then Change the right hand box to "Activate" Insert the following code Application.CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False exit the VBA screen and t...

"the wizard is unable to open your query in datasheet mode, possi
"the wizard is unable to open your query in datasheet mode, possibly because another user has a source table open in exclusive mode. your query will be opened in design view" what this message mean ,and how can i solve it Hi - Please provide more details as to what you are doing when you get the error, what your database setup is (i.e. split Fe/BE?, multiuser?, version? etc). Without more information, we can only guess. Thanks - John amr wrote: >"the wizard is unable to open your query in datasheet mode, possibly because >another user has a ...

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Trying to open the current db in Access 2010 through Access Basic
I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a long time. Through Access Basic coding, I use to be able to open the current database and then open a table and walk through each record. Now I can't even open the database. Does anybody have an example of how to do the following: 1) Open Workspace 2) Open Current Database (assume name is unknown during run time 3) Open specific table 4) Step through each record and access the fields George C. Derkacs <George C. Derkacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a lon...

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...

MS Access 2007, Forms
When using the "Forms Wizard", I need to use the "Style: Ricepaper", but it isn't available in the 2007 version and I have not been successful trying to find it in Office Online or on the web. Does anyone know where I can get it? Access 2007 has 25 AutoFormats, but as you noticed, they are virtually all new ones. It's actually nice to see that these were updated. To get the older Ricepaper style you could probably create a form in an earlier version of Access and then import it into your current database. If you're using the ACCDB file format, you would...

Help
Hi... I tried to work on Word today for first time on newish Mac and realized none of my Office applications work. When I double click on Word I can see something happening as I get the circle of colours twirling, but half an hour later it still hadn't opened. I just have to do this as quickly as possible as I have a deadline for what I have to do Monday at 12. I've tried reinstalling the software, but that didn't do anything for me. Mind you I know absolutely nothing about installing anything on Mac computers so I could be doing it all wrong. Do any of you have any idea what c...

stop default website of users pointing to the companyweb
Hi, I just migrated a W2K3 to SBS2008. How can I dissable the pointing all default websites of all users to the http://companyweb? everyone wants to have his own default website. Thanks Olaf Administrative Tools Group Policy Management Windows SBS User Policy User Configuration Windows Settings Internet Explorer Maintenance URLs Important URLs Home Page URL - remove http://companyweb Customise Home Page URL - remove tick Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz Question or...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

unable to link from Access to excel named range error 3011
I have a list of xl workbook names in an Access table. My code cycles through these names and finds them in a directory. This works flawlessly. Now I want to find and name ranges in the workbooks, and link to them from my Access db. The process works for the first 2, then fails on the 3rd. I don't see what's different about the 3rd tblName lclName CellTxt RngNm Active and Approved Pending Stores*.xls xlStores Location Code Stores Annualized Rent Batch*.xls xlExtras Store Number Extras ...

Giving Someone Access to Another Mailbox
I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to start sifting thru one of our executives email. What is the best way for this person to be able to see mailbox items? I would like to give this access via OWA only if possible and not neccessarily set it up on the client Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Which version of Exchange Server are you running? "mpallo" <mpallo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CCFB8C2-E2EC-40B7-A5F2-27D37E856ABE@microsoft.com... >I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to st...

SQL Insert from Access
I have a query in access 2003 containing new patients that needs to be inserted into a SQL server 2005 table. This will be done once a month. ImportData contains the connection string. Can anyone finish the syntax or tell me a better way of doing this. Thanks in advance. Kurt =============================================================================================== Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection cnn.Open ImportData strSQL = "INSERT INTO dbo.tblPatients (PFirstName, PLastName, MedicalRecNumber,DOB,MRSNID,EmployeeID)" strSQL = strSQL & "SEL...