office files on one pc are treated as read only

I have Home and Student Office 2007 on my desktop and laptop.  On my desktop
I have set up file sharing  for "everyone" with permissions for
access/read/write/modify,etc.  I have two laptops--one with xp and that
laptop can access and change the files with no problems whatsoever.  However,
my new windows 7 64 bit OS can access the office files on my desktop but if I
try to modify any of them, when I do a save command I get the message that it
is a "read only " file. I right click on the files and it has no check mark
in the read only box.  Someone told me it is some type of built in security
by microsoft and that I have to do something special to make the file
available for another pc on the network to be able to modify it.  I have
tried saving a couple of test files as .docx and .xlsx but that still doesn't
seem to help me out any.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

You may want to ask this question in an Office newsgroup which would be much
more appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the
Microsoft Access database product which is not even included in Home and
Student. The Microsoft website may have misdirected you.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"carl43m" <carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Home and Student Office 2007 on my desktop and laptop.  On my
>desktop
> I have set up file sharing  for "everyone" with permissions for
> access/read/write/modify,etc.  I have two laptops--one with xp and that
> laptop can access and change the files with no problems whatsoever.
> However,
> my new windows 7 64 bit OS can access the office files on my desktop but
> if I
> try to modify any of them, when I do a save command I get the message that
> it
> is a "read only " file. I right click on the files and it has no check
> mark
> in the read only box.  Someone told me it is some type of built in
> security
> by microsoft and that I have to do something special to make the file
> available for another pc on the network to be able to modify it.  I have
> tried saving a couple of test files as .docx and .xlsx but that still
> doesn't
> seem to help me out any.

0
Arvin
5/17/2010 4:35:35 AM

"carl43m" <carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Home and Student Office 2007 on my desktop and laptop.  On my
> desktop
> I have set up file sharing  for "everyone" with permissions for
> access/read/write/modify,etc.  I have two laptops--one with xp and that
> laptop can access and change the files with no problems whatsoever.
> However,
> my new windows 7 64 bit OS can access the office files on my desktop but
> if I
> try to modify any of them, when I do a save command I get the message that
> it
> is a "read only " file. I right click on the files and it has no check
> mark
> in the read only box.  Someone told me it is some type of built in
> security
> by microsoft and that I have to do something special to make the file
> available for another pc on the network to be able to modify it.  I have
> tried saving a couple of test files as .docx and .xlsx but that still
> doesn't
> seem to help me out any.

0
utf

Office Accounting Professional 2009
Hello everyone, In looking over our Technet applications, I was wanting to test out Office Accounting Professional 2009 due to limitations we have found in our normal accounting product Simply Accounting. When installing the product, everything goes fine, but we are unable to setup a Canadian company. Is there a version that will allow us to do this? I noticed there are two versions, one being the English - United States version, and one English-United Kingdom. Will the latter one work for Canadian customers? Any help would be very appreciated, Peter Skinner Edmonton ...

Multiple copies of just one email
I'm using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP professional and I keep receiving a new copy of one email message every time I open Outlook or it performs a timed send/receive. All other email messages have been fine, i.e. just one copy. Would this be a problem with my computer that I can fix, a problem with the sender's computer that she can fix, or is something else the matter? I only get one copy of all other messages from the same sender. If anyone else is having this problem, I received an answer in the Office-Outlook-General Questions Discussion Group. I was able to log into my ...

How do get a picture in publisher to print on only one page?
I have clip art I have downloaded to publisher. It shows on one page when I am working with it but when I go to print the image shows up in the corner of 4 pages. I am a rookie with this so sorry if this sounds too easy. ...

isv.config file
We have altered the isv.config file to show additional tabs and buttons in the CRM forms. These tabs and buttons show and work fine in the web client but are not available to the sales for outlook client. They do not show in Outlook. Should this customisation show in the sales for outlook client? Thanks, Brett if you look in your _resources directory under wwwroot on the crm web server you will see a file called OutlookClient_sample.xml you use this file for the outlook client config file. so you duplicate anything in isv.config to this file and call it i think OutlookClient.config -- ...

Outlook
Hi, We have a public folder - Orders - that our sales people forward orders to and they are picked up by accounts. Works great only some orders get processed twice or some don't get processed at all!! I am wondering if there is a way to automatically move a message to a subfolder, called Processed, when they are read? I know Move to Folder is easy enough, but anything we can automate would be great. Many Thanks. you'd need to use a script or VBA. Outlook doesn't have anything built in. I use Auto-mate to move messages later but I don't know if it works on public folders. ...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file on computer?
[url=http://www.backup-iphone-sms.com/how-to-copy-iphone-sms-to-txt-file.html][b]How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file with iPhone SMS Backup software on computer?[/b][/url]What is .txt file: .txt is a filename extension for files consisting of text usually contain very little formatting (ex: no bolding or italics). Files with the .txt extension can easily be read or opened by any program that reads text and, for that reason, are considered universal (or platform independent).With Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS, you can [b]backup iPhone SMS to PC as a txt[/b] file and keep them safe. [b]Guide of how ...

Renaming Files
I have a great number of files labeled with a first name followed by a last name and a date. I need to switch the file names and save them as Last Name First Name followed by the date? Any suggestion on how to do this? Is there a character which separates the names, like space or underscore? Maybe.... If your file names are 3 parts each separated by a space: John Smith 12022005.xls Something like this might work: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wkbk As Workbook Dim myFileNames As Variant Dim NewFileName As String Dim iCtr As Long Dim lCtr As Long Dim myName A...

Deployment Office 2003
In my organization we are going to deploy Office2003 Pro with SMS, I am using an MST file, I have some Questions:: 1. How can I config in outlook 2003 the field: SIZE in the inbox/sent items to all of my users in the deployment, Is it with OPS file and how can I do it...??? 2. In the Installation proccess : How can I make the OUTLOOK ICON appear in the desktop, not in a mode of shoutcut but in amode that I can change profile's user from it...??? 3. In the Installation Mode: How can make the CANCEL button to disapear..??? Thax OR 1) You would have to provide a script to ...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Newbie struggling
Hi For coursework I have to create an excel workbook that takes totals from invoices and adds them all up - pretty simple for some but not me! I have created the invoice template and the user enters the necessary data to complete and print it out - what I need is a way of taking four or five sets of data from that invoice sheet (e.g. invoice number, customer name etc etc) and writing them to another sheet so that I can add them up. The problem I am having is how to get that data into the next blank row in the second sheet - currently it only overwrites the first set - how do I get the pointe...

Can I have two Internet Mail Services in one Exchange 5.5 Organiza
Hello, My current environment consists of 6 mailbox servers and one server hosting the internet mail service (Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000). I need to use one of the 6 mailbox servers for a product that will need to route outbound mail to another server for other secure outbound services while the other 5 servers route to the current internet mail service. Is this possible? Can I add a secondary internet mail service just for this one server? I am not able to find any knowledge base articles for assistance. Thanks in advance! On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:36:10 -0700, "exadm" &l...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

How to activate free trial software on second PC?
The computer on which I installed and activated POS 2.0 trial version last week is not working properly. So I decided to use another computer and installed software on it again but could not activate. Why not? I'm close to testing CC payment processing module. Please help??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsread...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

page guide at bottom of project reads 1-24
When I print I have to ask for page 4 if I want 3, 5 if I want 6, etc. Will not print page 1. What's up? Booklet? View, uncheck two page spread. Print current page. What version Publisher is always helpful to know. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Church Lady" <Church Lady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28192282-D5AD-4387-8C61-C5C5720441B8@microsoft.com... > When I print I have to ask for page 4 if I want 3, 5 if I want 6, etc. Will > not print page 1. What's up? > ...

Forward mail from certain person from one Public Folder to another.
I'm trying to figure out how to make the exchange server (not outlook) move mail which comes into a public folder (from the internet) from a specific FROM address to a subfolder of our 'abuse' folder. I tried using the folder assistant but i didnt see a way to make it allow me to specify a folder as the destination. thanks, -Drew ...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

Theme Files
I am attempting to make a theme file that will work on any computer that I want it to. So far I have made it work on my computer. When opened on other computers it only does some of what I want it to do. Anything anyone could suggest would be great. Themes are not part of Access, they are part of Windows. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Nathan Ri...

Outlook Express creates a File on my desktop
ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my desktop named "~". it has done this since new, and ive seen it on one other computer as well. is there a way to stop this from happening?? cause deleting the file everytime is getting tiresome...if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. ty Shawn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but > when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my > desktop named "~". ...

How get rid of Office Discussion Groups on far left of screen
When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen realty. Woody wrote: >When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my >screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. > >I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there >is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

Deleting Files
Was treasurer for an organization; term has ended; want to delete that file entirely; can find no way to do it. I would appreciate any help in that area. TY -- HerbFry Go find the file and delete it. I'm probably missing something here like what "can find no way to do it" means. How do you delete Word files? Excel files? Notepad files? "HerbFry" <HerbFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A841D96-66F5-4734-84A8-F5634FC09272@microsoft.com... > Was treasurer for an organization; term has ended; want to delete that > file > entirely...

can't save files in subfolders using Word #2
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor In article <1163740041.258317.226140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, taylorgriffin@gmail.com wrote: > I'm sure this is something obvious I'...