I have a form in Access 2003 linked to a SQL Server 2005 table.  When
I clear the value in a textbox (bound field is varchar and is
required), I want the before update event to run to tell the user the
value cannot be null.

When I press the tab button to move to the next field after clearing
the texbox, the before update event is not triggering and instead I'm
getting the following error:

You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant
data type. (Error 3162)

How can I prevent nulls before and this error from triggering?

Thanks!

0
SUZYQ
6/14/2007 5:45:12 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Additional lookup for contacts on opportunity form
Hi, I try to customise CRM 3.0 without any training - therefore a question for which I need some help. On the opportunity form exists a look-up (potentional customer) for contacts/accounts. I'd like to add an aditional one to the form (to replace the decision maker). I tryed to create a new field on the opportunity entity but there's no field-type "look-up". It's also not possible to create a new relationship to the contact entity (both system entity's). Does anybody of you know how I can do this? (if yes - please explain it more detailed...). Thanks Joerg Look...

Event ID 1016 logged for sending an email
I recently emailed a co-worker (at 11:42am). I was then later shown a security log that showed Event ID 1016 was logged at 11:42am saying that I accessed her mailbox. I did no such thing! I've researched the knowledgebase and found some info on this topic, but can anyone tell me how I can definitively clear my name? Has this happened to anyone else - simply sending an email caused 1016 to log? I realize that checking the other person's calendar could also do this, but I don't think I did that either. My job could be on the line. Thanks for any help you can provide. (...

Forms 07-27-07
Hi, A VB Code is used that has the following line: Me.Visible = False (Me refers to the forms names frmBirthsearch) After this line a second form (form2) is opned based on a query that reads two dates from the frmBirthsearch using the line code: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBirthdates", acViewNormal at this point frmbearthsearh is hidden. What command shold I add after this in order to close the frmbirthsearch? ...

Close Event for the Database (?)
Is there a close event for the database? I have forms referencing other forms, and if the user closes Access without backing out of the forms, an error message pops up. It would be hand to just trap that error in an "On close" event for the entire db. Of course that might be a horrible thing when other errors are happening on close.... -- croy ...

clear up for Event/Mutex etc.
I am using: CreateMutex() / CreateEvent() to create Event / Mutex. After program done. How should I clear up? Using CloseHandle()? Is it required? or it just is close automatically when handle is out of the scope? Handle will be out of scope when your program terminates :) So close them with CloseHandle(...) when you are done with them. -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft - MVP "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1137184482.030539.30430@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am using: CreateMutex() / CreateEvent() to create Event / Mutex. > After program done. How...

Obtaining a hot fix for Event 9582
Greetings! I have an Exchange 2000 Server standard edition (SP3 + latest roll-up) running on Windows 2K (SP4 + latest updates). The server has 2 GB of RAM and I do NOT have the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file. Yesterday this server began generating memory fragmentation errors. The event log item is below: "Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: Performance Event ID: 9582 Description: The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange s...

Return values that sum to a known value
I have a list of data and would like to know if there is a formula that would return any items from that list that sum to a known value. Have a look at this thread for something similar: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?pg=7&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions&fltr= Regards, Tom "lmattern" wrote: > I have a list of data and would like to know if there is a formula that would > return any items from that list that sum to a known value. ...

WdfUsbTargetDeviceCreate creates NULL Control Pipe Handle
Hi, We have a usb composite device which has one mass storage interface and another as a network interface. We are developing a WDF driver (NDIS-USB) for the network interface. Immediately after WdfUsbTargetDeviceCreate if I break into the debugger and examine the newly created device, then I see that the Control Pipe Handle is NULL! Here is the actual output: -------- kd> !WDFUSBDEVICE 0x0000057f`fe5905f8 WDFUSBDEVICE 0000057ffe5905f8 ============================= Config descriptor fffffa80037216b0, device descriptor fffffa8001a6fb58 Control USBD_PIPE_HANDLE 000000000000...

Outlook 2007 error event id: 35
Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the event viewer on my vista laptop. And usualy my outlook at some point just goes into the "not responding" mode. Then I have to kill the process from the task manager to be able to reopen outlook just to see it freeze again after a couple of seconds. I tried the whole stop indexing service and reinstall index service procedure to no avail. Does anyone else have a solution to this very anoying problem? Fred putzhilfe@gmail.com <putzhilfe@gmail.com> wrote: > Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

Event logging
Hi, I a running XP64 and I as hit by a virus the other day. It affected my 32 bit browser (IE8) and ran multiple copies that tried to connect to advertising sites. all seems clear now BUT... the browser seems a little slow and somtimes does not connect to a site. Eventvwr.msc has a log installed for explorer but I never see any errors repotred. i cannot find how to set this on. Any ideas please? Regards, Dave On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:43:29 +0100, "Squeezy99" <david.cunningham@free.fr> wrote: > Hi, > I a running XP64 and I as hit by a virus the othe...

Enable/Disable a Form Control Based on Security Group Permissions
How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user’s security group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a form (call it box1), I want box1 to be enabled if the user who opened Access is a member of a security group called “Breaker Test Admin.” For members of any other group (except of course “Admins”), box1 should be disabled. Thank you, for your help! On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:13 GMT, "BenS" <u35527@uwe> wrote: >How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user�s security >group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a ...

Trying to Create a pop-up form
Due to size limitations on my main form, I am trying to create a form that, when I select a button, it pops up like a dialog box with the main form, Frm_Escheat, in the background I've created a qry which is the record source on my pop-up form. In the criteria of the query is: [Forms]![Frm_Escheat]![statecode] where [statecode] is the field from the Master Form. So, my "pop-up" form is activated when I select the button, but my problem is that it just goes to the pop-up form without the main form showing in the background. Thanks for your help. It would probably hel...

set value of a group of activex control points
Have a spreadsheet that has some 20+ activex control points (option buttons). Is there a way to group all these controls together & set their initial values the same? Trying to setup a "reset" type of operation that would clear all control points. I can do them individually via properties, but it's too time consuming. Any suggestions? ...

Auto Fill a Textbox in Form
What is the simplest way to auto fill a textbox (in a form) with the maximum values of more than one field in the last record entered, in the same table? Can the =DMax function be used for this? I have tried =DMax(“[field_1]”, “[field_2]”, “[field_3]” , “table_1”)+1, but this doesn’t work. Is something like this possible with two or more feilds with DMax? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com See MinOfList() and MaxOfList() here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-09.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allen...

user forms #5
Hello, I have created a user form (click on New Employee). How do I get the information entered in to this form to appear in the correct columns in the Payroll data sheet? And how do I get the combo boxes to display the drop down information from the sheet called input. Regards Runner77 -- Runner77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Runner77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500502 ...

Storing distinct values in an array
Hello .. in the speadsheet, i have a column containing a series of numbers maybe of them repeated multiple times... i would like to store all distinct values in an array any ideas on how i could do that ... eg , if these were the numbers going down column then 1 3 5 7 5 3 5 7 5 4 3 4 5 7 8 5 3 .. store 1,3,5,7,9,4,8 in an array, in no specifi order thank you shimee -- shimee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shimeel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showt...

Adding GAL users into a custom form
Hi, I have created a custom form, and am required to add a series of approvers. What I am trying to achieve is: * Add users from my GAL into a text field, so that when the form is sent, they do not get initially CC'ed the form. Is this achievable, and if so, how do I do it (if you could help by including any appropriate code, that would be great). Regards, Rick ...

Track registered products and trigger event
I have a very simple spreadsheet that has a column of serial numbers and next to it a column with a yes/no tracking whether a serial number has been registered or not. I want my sales team calling into an account once 50% of the serials are registered so I created a pivot table that simply has the yes/no field on the top and a count of each in the data. Then I created a pivot chart with the yes and no next to each other and the data labels displayed. So far so good and this does accomplish what I want at it's most simple level. What I would love to do though is: 1) change the count (a...