Newbie: can't get a calculated value on the form?

I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers.  I have
a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it.  I put a text
box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error
instead of the result.  When I run the query, I get the correct
result.

Help, please?
Ed
0
Ed
1/8/2008 10:33:53 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers.  I have
> a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it.  I put a text
> box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error
> instead of the result.  When I run the query, I get the correct
> result.

Is the query the recordsource of the form?

Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
1/8/2008 10:52:39 PM
Hi, Dirk.

> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
No.  The form is built from the table containing the field that needs
calculating.

> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
No.  It's Text24 (or something like that).  And the result field of
the query has a unique name also.

Ed

On Jan 8, 3:52=A0pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:d1e7d27c-11d9-46=
96-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

> >I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. =A0I have
> > a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. =A0I put a text=

> > box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error
> > instead of the result. =A0When I run the query, I get the correct
> > result.
>
> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
>
> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Ed
1/8/2008 11:39:32 PM
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:39:32 -0800 (PST), Ed from AZ wrote:

> Hi, Dirk.
>
>> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
> No.  The form is built from the table containing the field that needs
> calculating.
>
>> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
> No.  It's Text24 (or something like that).  And the result field of
> the query has a unique name also.
>
> Ed
>
> On Jan 8, 3:52�pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
> <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
>> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:d1e7d27c-11d9-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. �I have
>>> a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. �I put a text
>>> box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error
>>> instead of the result. �When I run the query, I get the correct
>>> result.
>>
>> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
>>
>> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
>>
>> --
>> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>>
>> (please reply to the newsgroup)

If the query returns just one record you could use DLookUp.
As control source of an unbound control:
=DLookUp("[FieldName]","QueryName")

Otherwise you cannot use a query value in the control source of a
control...only as the Record source of a form. In which case the query
field can be referred to directly, just like any other bound control.

Why do you need to perform just a calculation in the query? Why not
directly in the unbound control?
=[FieldA] * .25 or =[FieldA] * [FieldB]

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> Hi, Dirk.
>
>> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
> No.  The form is built from the table containing the field that needs
> calculating.
>
>> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
> No.  It's Text24 (or something like that).  And the result field of the
> query has a unique name also.

So how are you referring to it in the controlsource of the text box?  It
sounds like you're going about it the wrong way, and may be doing
unnecessary work to boot.

Fred has posted some observations and suggestions that look good to me.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
1/9/2008 2:03:04 AM
Fred:

What I've got is values in kilometers that I want to convert to
miles.  I have four of these values across the same record.

I tried this two different ways.  In one unbound text box, I reference
the table field holding the value like this:
     =3D[tabPartsInstl!InstallKM]*0.6214
In another unbound text box, I reference the query field which
contains the result of the calculation like this:
     =3D[qryPrevMI!InstallMI]
In a third, I followed your example and typed this into the Control
Source field of the Properties dialog:
     =3DDLookUp(["InstallMI"],["qryPrevMI"])

All three return a "#Name" error??

Ed

On Jan 8, 4:59=A0pm, fredg <fgutk...@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:39:32 -0800 (PST), Ed from AZ wrote:
> > Hi, Dirk.
>
> >> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
> > No. =A0The form is built from the table containing the field that needs
> > calculating.
>
> >> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
> > No. =A0It's Text24 (or something like that). =A0And the result field of
> > the query has a unique name also.
>
> > Ed
>
> > On Jan 8, 3:52=A0pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
> > <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> >> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:d1e7d27c-11d9=
-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

> >> Is the query the recordsource of the form?
>
> >> Is the name of the text box the same as the name of some other field?
>
> >> --
> >> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>
> >> (please reply to the newsgroup)
>
> If the query returns just one record you could use DLookUp.
> As control source of an unbound control:
> =3DDLookUp("[FieldName]","QueryName")
>
> Otherwise you cannot use a query value in the control source of a
> control...only as the Record source of a form. In which case the query
> field can be referred to directly, just like any other bound control.
>
> Why do you need to perform just a calculation in the query? Why not
> directly in the unbound control?
> =3D[FieldA] * .25 or =3D[FieldA] * [FieldB]
>
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail- Hide quoted text -

Ed
1/9/2008 1:20:02 PM

> What I've got is values in kilometers that I want to convert to
> miles.  I have four of these values across the same record.

> I tried this two different ways.  In one unbound text box, I reference
> the table field holding the value like this:
>      =[tabPartsInstl!InstallKM]*0.6214
> In another unbound text box, I reference the query field which
> contains the result of the calculation like this:
>     =[qryPrevMI!InstallMI]
> In a third, I followed your example and typed this into the Control
> Source field of the Properties dialog:
>     =DLookUp(["InstallMI"],["qryPrevMI"])
>
> All three return a "#Name" error??

They are all using incorrect syntax, though the last is incorrect in a
different way.  Assuming that your form is based on tabPartsInst, and the
InstallKM field is included in the form's recordsource, then your text box
could have this controlsource:

    =[InstallKM]*0.6214

That's a corrected version of the first of your three approaches.  You can't
use the second approach at all, because the query is not part of the form's
recordsource.  The third approach, the DLookup, could be made to work, but
would be slower and more complicated than just using the controlsource
expression above.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
1/9/2008 3:39:51 PM
That did it, Dirk!

So I need to stay within the fields of the form's recordsource, and
reference the field without the table name.  I'm sure there's more and
different ways of accomplishing the same thing, but this will do me
now for this application.

I appreciate the boost.
Ed

On Jan 9, 8:39=A0am, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:e30fb9fb-1877-44=
16-b66f-99a3eeade4e9@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

> > What I've got is values in kilometers that I want to convert to
> > miles. =A0I have four of these values across the same record.
> > I tried this two different ways. =A0In one unbound text box, I reference=

> > the table field holding the value like this:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0=3D[tabPartsInstl!InstallKM]*0.6214
> > In another unbound text box, I reference the query field which
> > contains the result of the calculation like this:
> > =A0 =A0 =3D[qryPrevMI!InstallMI]
> > In a third, I followed your example and typed this into the Control
> > Source field of the Properties dialog:
> > =A0 =A0 =3DDLookUp(["InstallMI"],["qryPrevMI"])
>
> > All three return a "#Name" error??
>
> They are all using incorrect syntax, though the last is incorrect in a
> different way. =A0Assuming that your form is based on tabPartsInst, and th=
> InstallKM field is included in the form's recordsource, then your text box=

> could have this controlsource:
>
> =A0 =A0 =3D[InstallKM]*0.6214
>
> That's a corrected version of the first of your three approaches. =A0You c=
an't
> use the second approach at all, because the query is not part of the form'=
> recordsource. =A0The third approach, the DLookup, could be made to work, b=
ut
> would be slower and more complicated than just using the controlsource
> expression above.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Ed
1/9/2008 4:07:59 PM
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:39:51 -0500, Dirk Goldgar wrote:

> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> What I've got is values in kilometers that I want to convert to
>> miles.  I have four of these values across the same record.
>
>> I tried this two different ways.  In one unbound text box, I reference
>> the table field holding the value like this:
>>      =[tabPartsInstl!InstallKM]*0.6214
>> In another unbound text box, I reference the query field which
>> contains the result of the calculation like this:
>>     =[qryPrevMI!InstallMI]
>> In a third, I followed your example and typed this into the Control
>> Source field of the Properties dialog:
>>     =DLookUp(["InstallMI"],["qryPrevMI"])
>>
>> All three return a "#Name" error??
>
> They are all using incorrect syntax, though the last is incorrect in a
> different way.  Assuming that your form is based on tabPartsInst, and the
> InstallKM field is included in the form's recordsource, then your text box
> could have this controlsource:
>
>     =[InstallKM]*0.6214
>
> That's a corrected version of the first of your three approaches.  You can't
> use the second approach at all, because the query is not part of the form's
> recordsource.  The third approach, the DLookup, could be made to work, but
> would be slower and more complicated than just using the controlsource
> expression above.

In addition to what Dirk has pointed out to you, the DLookUp is
incorrectly written.
You have
  =DLookUp(["InstallMI"],["qryPrevMI"])
  The quotes must be outside the brackets.
    =DLookUp("[InstallMI]","[qryPrevMI]")

  Also, make sure the name of the control that uses an expression as
it's control source is not the same as the name of any field used in
the expression.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
0
fredg

SmartList Builder gross margin calculation
Hi, I am trying to disply gross margin %, but keep getting zero. I can subtract extended cost from extended price in the Sales Transaction Amount Work table correctly, but get zero when I try to divide that calc by extended price. I tried setting them all to integer and also casting, but could not get it to display. thoughts? -- Doug Wilson Great Plains Consultant MCS Canada because the result is a percentage, it would be rounding up to 0 (eg 20% = ..2) check the column display settings and/or multiply the result by 100 HS -- www.DynExtra.com A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics...

Getting data from Exchange
Hi all. I have some problems getting the data I want out of exchange. I need to extract data that shows me how much data each mailbox is occupying. I would believe taht would be done by a .csv export from exchange admin. I know I can Save window contents when in Exchange admin showing mailbox resources, but is there noe automatic export I can do to achieve the same? Maybe third-party products? ...

how to get the shift in document's origin?
I'm scrolling my view automatically using SetScrollPos() of CScrollView when mouse moves out of its boundary. It's scrolling nicely but the it's not going into OnScrollBy function that I have put into my view. I wanted to know how to set new origin after scrolling the view using SetScrollPos() Any idea? Dhirendra SetScrollPos is not a method of CScrollView that would automatically scroll; all it would do would be to change the position of the scrollbar thumb in the scrollbar window. This is not the same as having the user scroll the scrollbar, which is what I read OnScrollBy...

Replace/modify standard data form?
Hi, I want to replace the standard data form, which is used to maintain data sets in an excel table, by a user defined form (alternatively I would like to modify the standard form). Does anybody know if/how this is possible? Thanks, Axel Axel, Going to need more information I'm afraid. Can you explain further or send an example? -- Jon Quixley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985...

How do I get new headers to appear in list?
The screen shows my new headers in the list, but when I look at he list toolbar and press form, my new entries are not included. ...

Trendline values #2
I used the function "LOGEST" to get an exponential fit of a series of numbers, which gives me a value of 1.0610. I also used "RSQ" function to get the R-square, which is 0.9442. Then I made a chart based on the same series of numbers and add trendline to the curve. I selected "Exponential" under "Type" and checked "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-Squared value on chart". The value shown on the chart is "y=3928.8e^0.0592x" and "R^2=0.9104". I expected to see "y=3928.8e^0.0610x" and "R^...

problem carrying over values
I have one form that has a button I''ll call it form1. The button looks at a text box for an ID and if its null it opens form2 and creates a new record in form2. If the text box is NOT null, it will go find the ID that's in the text box and filter it in form2. When the new record is created in form2, I need the ID to be put into the NULL text box in form1. I know how to do this however, if you open form2 on its own, then the error msg comes up that it can't find form1. I know why I'm getting this error, but don't know the fix for it. Is there a work around? Thanks...

Copy Data from SubForm Field to Main Form Field
How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar field in the main form? See www.allenbrowne.com "ridgerunner" wrote: > How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar > field in the main form? Are you referring to the section entitled "Referring to Controls on a Subform"? Will this actually place of copy of the subform field information into the main form report and, therefore, into the underlying main table? "Golfinray" wrote: > See www.allenbrowne.com > > "ridgerunner" wr...

same subform used in two different forms
Hi Folks, Is it possible to use the same subform in two different main forms simultaneously? If it's possible, is it good practice? I can foresee that there may be problems with code, but the subform I'm thinking of is very basic. Three tables: tblFamily FamID (primary key) FamLastName tblIndividual IndID (primary key) InFamID FirstName MiddleName ....other personal data tblAddress AddressID AdFamID street city state zip Two main forms for different types of data entry frmFamily with family information on the main form and address information...

Get registered for the new community at https://community.dynamics
Within the next few weeks you will begin to see the Microsoft Dynamics Community pages located at http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/community, moving to a new location at https://community.dynamics.com. We are making this move in an effort to streamline the accessibility of all Microsoft Dynamics communities and make the user experience of interacting with community experts and your peers much easier. The newsgroups as you see them today will still be intact, but the web pages which you use today to access them will be different. Plus you’ll see more streamlined content and future func...

#VALUE! error
I'm sorry but I added to this formula and it started with the #VALUE! again. The error goes away once I enter data. It's just so tacky looking seeing all these error messages. Please help! =IF(OR(B3="",D3="",B3>D3),"",'Tank Sizes'!$F$15)*(2/98)*F3/D3 You have your closing parenthesis for the IF function right after the "$F$15 reference which means the division by D3 is not controlled by the IF function's testing for D3="". I think moving the parenthesis to the end of the calculation will yield the result you want... =IF(O...

Values in the Legend?
Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? Thanks, Phil Do you want to show just a single value? You can either build a lengthier label (like =A1&B1), and use this as the new series name, or you can select multiple cells for the name, and Excel puts them together with a space between. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? > Thanks, Phil ...

Only Display records before and after a change in teh value of a f
I have a table that looks like the following RUNID | DATETIME | PROCESS 0001 1/1/09 1201 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1202 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1203 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1204 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1205 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1206 Body 0001 1/1/09 1207 Body 0001 1/1/09 1208 Body 0001 1/1/09 1209 Body 0001 1/1/09 1210 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1211 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1212 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1213 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1214 Body 0001 1/1/09 1215 Body 0001 ...

Min and Max values for different salespeople?
Hi there, I am trying to find the minimum and maximum sales for each salesperson. I can not sort by salesperson -- I must sort by sales date. How do I do this? 1/2/1999 Bob $7 1/5/1999 Rick $20 1/7/1999 Sue $75 1/10/1999 Bob $5 1/15/1999 Sue $3 1/27/1999 Rick $53 So, I need to know Bob's minimum sale was $5, and his maximum sale was $7. I know how to use the MIN and MAX functions, but how do I tie in the sales person name? Assume your salesperson names are in column B and their corresponding sale amount is in column C: =MAX(IF(B1:B10="Bob&...

Don't chart X-axis without values.
On a line chart I am plotting two individual columns and then SUM(ming) these two for a total. Future dates of the individual columns have no data BUT the formula for SUM(ming) the two results in zero (0) which is plotted on my chart. I've tried a number of approches to the formula, blank (""), and Null (which results in a string and causes an error. How can I leave my formula in the future dates and not effect my chart. Obviously, with moving from 300k to zero in one week is scary. Thanks, Hank Hank - Excel can't return a NULL or BLANK from a function (not t...

formulas when there may/may not be a value
What formula do you use when there may not be a value there? Like: ITEM QTY SOLD T0887 50 1 T0887 100 T0887 200 2 T0992 50 3 T0992 100 To get: # of sold items for each item? -- Nicki Taylor =SUMIF(A:A,"T0887",C:C) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "NTaylor" <NTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E22EEF1-44E5-4C5B-AFBD-B8053172702F@microsoft.com... > What formula do you use when there may not be a value there? Like: > > ITEM QTY SOLD > T0887 50...

Get Dictionary value
Hello, I am just wondering: is there another way to get a IDictionary value using: String value = config["key"].ToString(); Is does not feel C# to have something like config["key"]. But that's just me .... Thanks, Miguel shapper wrote: > Hello, > > I am just wondering: is there another way to get a IDictionary value > using: > > String value = config["key"].ToString(); > > Is does not feel C# to have something like config["key"]. > > But that's just me .... Probably. But, if you r...

Date Calculation
I have two fields in a query: "Date Completed" (mm/dd/yyyy) and "Time Used (hours)" (nn.n). I want to calculate a third field "Date Started". Assuming an eight-hour day, the equation should be [Date Completed] - [Time Used (hours)]/8 but I can't figure out which Date/Time functions to use to convert my dates and hours to the same units to do the calculation and then back to a date in the format mm/dd/yyyy again. I am using Access 2007 and am not too competent with it. Thank you in advance for your help. A date_time is a data type, lik...

Field whose value increments automatically
Is it possible to create a field which automatically increments by 1 every time I open the worksheet? Thanks... Only with code. Use the Workbook_Open event procedure to increment a value in a cell. For example, put the following code in the ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") .Value = .Value + 1 End With End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Quinnboy" <Quinnboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Cannot Publish Custom Form
I'm trying to Publish a Custom Form to my Personal Forms Library and I get the following error: Unable to successfully publish the form due to a MAPI error. The operation failed. An object could not be found. Someone please help me with this. I was at the end of my project. I'm on Outlook 2003. Thanks. ...

Calculate the difference two times
Hi, Please show me to fix these problems. Thanks Ex: 12:30 Am - 11:25 Pm= #VALUE and 2:50-2:52=# VALUE. Thank you Chi With your times in A1 and B1 =MOD(B1-A1,1) -- Regards Roger Govier "Chi" <Chi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77ED30BA-6F04-49FD-869B-EDD0337E738E@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Please show me to fix these problems. Thanks > Ex: 12:30 Am - 11:25 Pm= #VALUE > and > 2:50-2:52=# VALUE. > > > Thank you > Chi On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:20:02 -0700, Chi <Chi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Please show me to fix...

Newbie Help! Please (correct version)
Hi I have a spreadsheet which has a record of places in which certain occurences have taken place looking somthing like this... �-----A-----�-----B-----�-----C-----�-----D----- Place 1 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 3 data data data Place 1 data data data Place 4 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 1 data data data Pl...

Hiding Sections on a form
Hello All, I am able to hide fields and tabs but is there a way to hide sections of a form? For example, I want to hide a section of a form based on the value of a picklist field I have. Thanks for the help! Take a look at this http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?&query=reece&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.crm&p=1&tid=f967c6ad-4a99-4793-85db-f771cc491d8b&mid=f94d171a-ca04-4dfa-b07b-5c8c03de7c92 HTH, R. "MDV1457" wrote: > Hello All, > I am able to hide fields a...

Error in Project Purchasing: Cannot insert Value
When I try to post project purchase shipment, I get the following message: Cannot insert the value Null into column PAQuantityPcntCompleted table CWR.dbo.PA01301. Column does not allow Nulls. I am on Great Plains 8.0 SP2. I ran the PA Conversion Utilities so that all of the stored procedures are installed correctly to be on the safe side. I am still getting this error. Please help. HI jack, Never seen this specifically in Project A/c or for that table BUT have seen it in other modules. Usually it is a result of the table strucuture/properties being changed in the database. Does thi...

Is there any way to get outlook web access FREE!
I am a singer/computer tech person I need a web access account becouse i find it to be one of the most best emails on the planet. My friend uses it and it ROCKS Well if you cna help me please EMAIL ME AT michaelrobertgoetz@msn.com Outlook Web Access is a feature of Exchange Server. The only way to get it is to use a hosted Exchange service. It is not free. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Michael Goetz" <Michael...