Need to normalize some tables after database has been split

Hi there

I realize that I have to normalize some of my tables in my database but I
have split the database.

My question is, what is the best way to do this?

All these tables have been referenced in the forms in the database.

How do I change the forms without recreating them all over again?

Thank you for any help in this matter.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:24:01 -0700, forest8
<forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I realize that I have to normalize some of my tables in my database but I
>have split the database.
>
>My question is, what is the best way to do this?

Make backups of the front and back end (you should have them backed up of
course, but make SURE you have good working backups!!)

Open the backend database exclusively; make the table structural changes
there.

Then open the frontend. DELETE the links to the backend tables that you have
changed (just select the table in the tables window and delete it, it's just
deleting the link, not the table). Use File... Get External Data... Link to
relink to it.

>All these tables have been referenced in the forms in the database.
>
>How do I change the forms without recreating them all over again?

Open the form in design view; view its Properties. Select the Recordsource
property and open it in query design view. Make the appropriate changes to the
query. This may affect updatability of the form, depending on what you've
changed; you may need to go from a single form to a form with a subform, etc.
But you should be able to reuse controls and probably most of your code, if
there is any.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

0
Alexander

Need help using both Bar Graph and XY scatter
Hello. I need some help figuring how to accomplish this task: I have two sets of y-axis values that are under the same set of x-axis value. I am using one set of y-axis values as a bar graph, and the other as an XY scatter. The problem is that the dots from the XY scatter appear on top of the bars from the bar graph. Is there anyway to make the dots move next to the bars instead of on top of them, and without making another set of the same x-axis values? (Like how to bar graphs show up next to each other under the same x-axis value, except that I want one to be a bar and the other a dot. --...

Splitting and Renaming Xml Nodes
Hi, Please suggest a solution for the following problem. We get a input xml that need to be processed for grouping and sorting. The example of one such xml <Requests> <Request> ...... <Results> <Result1> <Type>1</Type> </Result> <Result1> <Type>2</Type> </Result> </Results> </Request> </Requests> To obtain some sorting and grouping kind of thing we need to split this xml as follwoing <RequestsN...

Table Import Definition
Users create these definitions on a PC and the definitions are not available on other PCs. The definitions must b stored in a file but we are able to locate. Can anyone tell me where the Table Import Definition is stored? Best Regards, Steve Please allow me to restate without the keying errors: Users create these definitions in GP on a PC and the definitions are not available on other PCs. The definitions must be stored in a file but we are unable to locate. Can anyone tell me where the Table Import Definition is stored? Best Regards, Steve they are stored as SY50000 and SY50...

Template Field Assistance Needed
I would like to be able to capture a specific entry field into a CRM template. The field that I am looking for is seen when you close an opportunity, the description field that we ask the users to detail the reason lost. I have been able to capture the Reason Lost drop down value {!opportunity:statuscode/@name;}, but not the description field from that pop up dialog box. Thanks in advance, Scott ...

V Look up not yielding all results needed
I am using a validation table in column b and based off my selection I used the following formula to populate the pricing for the item. =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B14:B39,'look up'!C4:H159,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(B14:B39,'look up'!C4:H159,2,FALSE)) Everything works smooth unless I try to select data which does not fall alphabetically, problem is the users I am creating this for will not neccassarily be selecting their products alphabetically. EX: If I select Adhesive Vinyl - Discount Backlit Vinyl - Standard and then try to select Adhesive Vinyl - Standard it will not pro...

HELP NEEDED!! Link cells between worksheets
Hi , I have a workbook contains 1+50 worksheet, I want to link each sheet number to sheet one, besides manually change the sheet # in the formula =SUM('sheet02'!$H$16:$H$21,'sheet02'!$H$26) =SUM('sheet03'!$H$16:$H$21,'sheet03'!$H$26) =SUM('sheet04'!$H$16:$H$21,'sheet04'!$H$26) =SUM('sheet05'!$H$16:$H$21,'sheet05'!$H$26) ..... to sheet 50... Can someone help me to automatic it in anyway? Thank you very much!!!! Nicole Try this... =SUM(INDIRECT("'Sheet"&TEXT(ROWS(A$1:A2),"00")&am...

Publishing a pivot table
I have a friend who wants to publish a pivot table. We go throught the Excel dialogs to publish and 'Add interacvtivity' with 'PivotTable functionality' but he only gets the table showing with no data. There is also somebody else with a similar problem where the Published web page just contains a placeholder within IE (i.e. the pivot table does not appear in IE). Can anybody help. One alternative is to use the Office Web Components available as a free download from the microsoft office download site. -- Regards, Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET] [Shameless Author plug] The M...

Complex 2 table formula
Here are my two tables: Table 1 Column 1 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4 Col 5 Col 6 Col 7 Row 1 Slope Bands (%) R1 RS RE9 RE11 RE15 RE20 Row 2 0 – 14 0.5 0.45 0.4 0.4 0.35 0.35 Row 3 15 – 29 0.45 0.4 0.35 0.35 0.3 0.3 Row 4 30 – 44 0.4 0.35 0.3 0.3 0.25 0.25 Row 5 45 – 59 0.35 0.3 0.25 0.25 0.2 0.2 Row 6 60 – 99 ...

No Pivot Table Totals Wanted
Is it possible to get pivot to not put the totals in for the Row are besides going to each field and saying none under the "Field Settings" I put these pivot tables together, and everytime I have to go back an change the field settings so I get no totals. I don't want the totals I thought through the table options by taking the checks out of th grand totals and auto format it would take care of it but it doesn't Just getting tired of changing those settings individually each time Any ideas is there a way I hope someone has something or maybe I a going brain dead let me know ...

How do I remove the (blank) from an excel pivot table?
I am trying to create a pivot table from a liston an excel spreadsheet. Many of the items on the list will be blank. On the pivot table, the blank items show up as (blank) - I want the cell to be empty! I tried setting the table empty values but that doesn't work...any help would be greatly apprecated... If you click the small black triangle near the top of the Table, a menu will appear. Just clear the checkbox next to (blank) -- Gary''s Student "MarkfromAZ" wrote: > I am trying to create a pivot table from a liston an excel spreadsheet. Many > of the...

Auto-import word tables into excel?
Campers - I need to automatically import the contents of one table from Word into Excel, for about 1500 word documents. Any ideas on how this can be nicely done? "Andrew Harder" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:d3a301c3eef9$ebbdd5a0$a601280a@phx.gbl: > Campers - I need to automatically import the contents of > one table from Word into Excel, for about 1500 word > documents. Any ideas on how this can be nicely done? Probably Visual Basic, to export the tables from Word and import them into Excel. VB can control both of them. -- My email...

Query similar data across two tables
Hi all, I have two tables I'd like to compare a field from each even though the data in the fields are not a 100% match. Table 1: Zip5 This would contain something like 25865 22365 etc Table 2: ZipPlus4 This table would be like this: 25865-5563 22365-8574 (Basically the same 5 digit zip as above plus the zip+4. May or may not have a dash -) If I do a simple Join I can view which rows are identical, but I can't figure out how to compare what I've tried to show above. Any help would be much appreciated. Jason In your query, add a new field in that "calculates" t...

Tables in excel- bringing down formulas for new records.
I am trying to put together a table and want to have an auto number that counts the recods and puts the next number in for a new record. Need a good method to do this and to have it automatically carried down when a new record is created. I also have a formula that calculates interest on a principle amount. Neither formula will come down when a new record is created. Thanks. Sun, 16 May 2010 10:58:01 -0700 from Ben <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com>: > > I am trying to put together a table and want to have an auto number that > counts the recods and puts the...

Pivot Table -- Text??
I don't think this is possible, but thought I'd check to be sure. Can a pivot table display text values or must a pivot table do calculations and only display numbers?? I am basically trying to create a report from data I pulled from MS Project... I've got a resource name, a list of dates, and a list of projects. I'm looking for a solution to the cross tab report "who does what when." I want to create a pivot table that will display the dates as columns, and the resource names as rows... and then in the data section the project name. I want it to look somethin...

Is there a way to turn off the prompts of a make table query?
I merely want to update the table to be used as an export to Excel using TransferSpreadsheet. Each time it prompts for deleting old records and adding new records. Is there a was to turn off the prompts? Bottom line - I want to create an Macro to export the output of a query to an Excel spreadsheet. BobC, DoCmd.SetWarnings False 'Off Your TransferSpreadsheet line here DoCmd.SetWarnings True 'On -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "...

How to split information in a cell
:confused: I have a tip on how to Join first and last names, but how d I split information that is in a cell into other cells. I have spread sheet with over 26000 cells in a column that contains 5 words i each cell. I want to split this information into 5 seperate cells ou to the right of this column -- dcoate ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dcoates's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=232 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31490 data>text to columns>delimited>space...

How do records get into the Cost Change History (IV00118) table?
A user showed me a Cost Change History report for one of our item numbers, and it's showing that the cost changed from $0 to $.8844 on 12/11/07. The funny thing is, we don't know how that happened. We have no inventory transactions for that item on that date, so how would these change records been generated? Nothing was received for it in the Purchasing module and no Inventory adjustment transactions were made. The closest transaction they made was to adjust the inventory up by a quantity of 2 on 12/1/07 (with a cost of $0, by the way). We're on SP2 of GP 9.0, so they can&#...

Creating a Query based of two diffent data tables
Access 2000- I am trying to create a Query based off two tables. I am working with two tables and the only matching field out of both tables is an account number. How do I write an expression or criteria in the design view that will allow the account number to match out of each table to gather the rest of the information from both table based off the account numbers? On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:30:01 -0700, CSnTexas <CSnTexas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Access 2000- I am trying to create a Query based off two tables. >I am working with two tables and the only mat...

Automate creation of a table of hyperlinks?
I would like to create a simple spreadsheet consisting of a single column, where each entry is a hyperlink to a related image file (located in the same folder as the spreadsheet). It's easy, but laborious, to do the cells one at a time - either with the Hyperlink function or Insert Hyperlink. I can easily generate the list of text entries (just the image file names, to start) with a DOS DIR command to create an importable text file. But haven't been able to figure out how to convert these into Hyperlinks in one fell swoop! - Herb Herb You could try this macro from David McRi...

Moving from Excel 03 to 07, need help with customizing
In Excel 03, we had a series of toolbars that contained buttons that ran a macro placing a picture on the spreadsheet in the selected cell. There were several toolbars as there were different sets of pictures in different colors. They were used as accounting tickmarks. I can change my macros to run on 2007 (due to 07 not liking the Select command) but I'm having troubles finding a substitute for the custom toolbars. The ones I had in 2003 did come over under the Add-Ins tab, but I cannot update them as needed. Plus there is no way to bring up a toolbar for the differ...

Is scripting what I need?
I've started with a scripting book, but the more I read the less it sounds like this is what I need. My requirements are actually quite simple. I have a Windows Home Server. WHS does not allow for online backups and I believe it is imperative for me to have an offsite backup of my photo files. So I figured out a workaround that I believe will not break any of the WHS caveats. I added a hard drive to WHS that is not part of the WHS file system (Drive Extender). I told my online backup system to backup this drive. In WHS there is a desktop folder that have the Photos subfolder....

Need to sum up numerous columns in different worksheet into 1
Hi, I generate 100-200s .csv files end of each month for my company. Each of these .csv files have numerous data that I need to sum up for a report. (Example: 1.csv have 3 columns with things like, item A, item C, item D etc and 2.csv have columns with item B, item C and item E... and so on and so on) I am required to sum up all these 100-200s .csv files and have a total sum of how many of each items appeared and used by the users. (Example: item A - total count 100, item B - total count 20.. .etc etc) Is there a way I could do it without going through each of the .csv files and counti...

Database documentation
I'd like to be able to use MS Access 2003 to create custom reports. However, when I connect to the RMS DB, the number of tables and fields are overwhelming. That's OK, but I can't see how the tables are related. Is there documentation available? there is some documentation in the customer source knowledge base. "Ed Secco CPA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:475a01c49086$36f04570$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'd like to be able to use MS Access 2003 to create > custom reports. However, when I connect to the RMS DB, > the numb...

Pivot Table Orientation
I'm trying to set up a Pivot Table that provides a total job cost and a total sales revenue number side by side instead of having the sales and costs on two separate lines. The pivot table should have a Job Number in the column field and total sales and total costs in the data fields. Do I need to use a macro to accomplish this?Thanks....

Exporting Database
I would like to export my supplier database to excel. Does anyone know how? Thanks an easy way would be to open your database in the Administrator program, run the query: select * from supplier then drop the File menu down to Export and save to a .csv file which will open in excel. "Palamino" wrote: > I would like to export my supplier database to excel. Does anyone know how? > Thanks Thanks Matt but which administrator program? Store? Headquarters? Thanks "Matt Hurst" wrote: > an easy way would be to open your database in the Administrator program, ru...