Need to merge multiple records in to one.. Can it be done?

I have a table with thousands of records containing a clients name in one
field, a date in a second field and then a note in a third field.  A new
record is created each time a note was entered for that client.

Example:

Client A  01/01/01 First Note
Client A  01/05/01 Second Note
Client A  02/10/01 Third Note
Client B  01/01/01 First Note

What I need to do is convert this information so each client only has one
record and in that record are all of their notes and the dates for those
notes.  The data is going to be imported in a new program so it must be in
the new format. Can someone provide me with some guidence on how to do this
or is it not possible?

Thanks

Mark Warner

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:34:02 -0800, Mark
<Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Perhaps you can use this as a starting point:
http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0004.htm

-Tom.

>I have a table with thousands of records containing a clients name in one
>field, a date in a second field and then a note in a third field.  A new
>record is created each time a note was entered for that client.
>
>Example:
>
>Client A  01/01/01 First Note
>Client A  01/05/01 Second Note
>Client A  02/10/01 Third Note
>Client B  01/01/01 First Note
>
>What I need to do is convert this information so each client only has one
>record and in that record are all of their notes and the dates for those
>notes.  The data is going to be imported in a new program so it must be in
>the new format. Can someone provide me with some guidence on how to do this
>or is it not possible?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark Warner
0
Tom
12/4/2007 3:05:55 AM
First make a copy to work on.  Second, make sure the original is in a safe
place and make sure it still works.

2. Check and make sure your clients were entered the same way in all the
records.

3. Make a table defenition  for customer info with unique key no duplicates
for customer and update query from table for client info.

4. Run this query which will produce multi errors of duplicate keys.  Ignore
and let run.

4. Make a update table query for date and note info with the client info
dulicates allowed.

5. next link tables with client unique info as client table primary and one
to many with memo table with client info linked to client table , as the
many table.

6. Pray to God I explained it right and test.

7. Problem solved or repost as what did you say?

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table with thousands of records containing a clients name in one
> field, a date in a second field and then a note in a third field.  A new
> record is created each time a note was entered for that client.
>
> Example:
>
> Client A  01/01/01 First Note
> Client A  01/05/01 Second Note
> Client A  02/10/01 Third Note
> Client B  01/01/01 First Note
>
> What I need to do is convert this information so each client only has one
> record and in that record are all of their notes and the dates for those
> notes.  The data is going to be imported in a new program so it must be in
> the new format. Can someone provide me with some guidence on how to do
> this
> or is it not possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark Warner

0
Pete

Can't see Smartlist report
I've built a simple smartlist from the smartlist builder (vr 9.0) that doesn't show up in the smartlist. After building the smartlist, under options, I've check the box to "Display in ReportList". I've run the Smartlist Maint to refresh the cache and I have full security. I don't know where to go next. Thanks Merle: You have to also go into SmartList security and grant yourself (or anyone else you want to see the report) access to it. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Merle, Have you granted access to that SmartLi...

How can I find out which apps are using .NET and which not?
I appear to have three versions of .NET (2, 3, 3.5) with their associated special packs. How can I find out which apps are using .NET. (Please, no 'cut-one-out' method, I do not want to uninstall and see what has stopped working.) I am aware that the different .NETS are individually and separately usable by different apps - my questions is what app uses which? Thanks for any pointers occam wrote: > I appear to have three versions of .NET (2, 3, 3.5) with their > associated special packs. > > How can I find out which apps are using .NET. (Please, no 'c...

Help needed with Multipage UserForm (VBA)
Bear with me folks, I'm a newbie when it comes to VBA: In John Walkenbach's book "Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA," there is an example of a multipage UserForm (Wizard) where the data is inserted in contiguous cells of a (single) active sheet. I'm looking for the syntax (or better still, an example) for inserting the data inputs in specific cells in different worksheets, in a multi-worksheet workbook. Any help will be appreciated. Not quite sure what you're looking for, but maybe: Option Explicit Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() With ActiveWorkboo...

I Need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100
Merry Christmas, I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do this? put 100 in a cell, copy it, select row 2 and 3, do edit>paste special and check divide Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do > this? Put "=1/3" in a cell and then select it, copy, then select rows 2 and 3 and click edit | paste special | multiply. "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 b...

can I keep background from tiling?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C90920.43F653B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm putting my pictures (from my files) on as background on a calendar. = FORMAT>BACKGROUND then using the box where I can browse and find my own = files. Publisher 2007, paper 8 1/2 X11 Some of the pictures come on = good, but some of them tile. Is there a setting to keep them from tiling and just fill the = background with one picture (or even part of it)? It might have = something to do w...

UPDATE Table with multiple textboxes
I have three unbound textboxes on a form. Each textbox is used to input the amount of money A,B,C deposited. textbox1 is labeled A, textbox2 labeled B,.... When the user clicks a button, I need to update the table to add a row for A then add a new row for B and then C. Below is the code I have so far for the update, but I can't figure out how to repeat the update for B & C. Lastly, the table has a field named 'memo'. I would like to add the textbox caption to that field on each record. So, for the first record, the deposit field would be whatever num...

multiple 3D equations in one excel surface chart
hi all i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one excel surface chart does anyone have simple way of doing it i have the link for one equation chart but from there i'm little bit lost http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/3d_surface/ What's the problem? If your data is of 3D type, just plot it as such. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "thread" wrote: > hi all > i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one > excel...

data in single column split to multiple col's based on header
Hi All, I have data in three diff columns, e.g: column A column B column C 1 absman a 1 folklore b 2 internet c 2 absman d 3 folklore e 3 internet f I want these to be segregated under different heads based on the unique ID in column A with header (col B) and pull the data in Col C Result shld be something like this Headet absman folklore internet 1 a b 2 d c 3 Could ypu please help or I need to run vlookup by splitting the data, I have 17 million rows of data (split in 2 files) to be pulled under 16 heads. Your help in this regard is highly appreciated. -...

[ANN] Share one account with multiple users and/or computers
PROBLEM: * You are in a situation where two or more people check the same account but have problems knowing who has acted on the message(s) or see a flagged message for your attention. This is further complicated by platform and email application (e.g. Outlook, Entourage and Apple mail). * You are the only user but access your account from multiple computers. Continue reading for the solution along with info on IMAP and POP accounts as well as IMAP providers: Share one account with multiple users and/or computers (The Entourage Help Blog) <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/01/share...

Do I need an include headerfile for the BYTE datatype
I keep getting this message on compiling : BYTE' : missing storage-class or type specifiers any help would be sincerely appreciated best regards windef.h from the PSDK or use typedef unsigned char BYTE -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov "RM" <RM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D8C6136-01B7-4454-A2A5-FB75D6070656@microsoft.com... >I keep getting this message on compiling : > > BYTE' : missing storage-class or t...

multiple emails #3
Hey does anyone know why outlook is sending multiple emails to my distribution list? Please help it's really annoying my clients. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook-Duplicates.asp -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:052f01c3b25b$d0974b10$a401280a@phx.gbl, Jim wrote: > Hey does anyone know why outlook is sending multiple > emails to my distribution list? Please help it's really &...

Help Needed With Exchange 2000 to 2003 SBS
Hi, I am currently running SBS 2000 with Exchange Server 2000. I need to blow the server away completely and clean install with SBS 2003. My only worry is how to get the old 2000 Exchange data into the new 2003 Exchange without having to go round manually creating PST files on each user's Outlook. I have dismounted the Store and backed up the EDB and STM files to a separate machine as well as all the log files in the MDBDATA folder. Can I then just import these files into Exchange 2003?? Any help gratefully accepted. Apologies if I am in the wrong group. Siv You should post t...

Combining fields into one
Hi all, I'm busy with an assett database to record all IT eqioment. I now have the following problem.. I have aa field called "speed" in which I type the speen of the CPU ie "2.4GHz" I'm a bit too lazy to type it 120 times so I created a table for it and think I have gone too difficult for myself. I wound up creating teo tables, one for the speed (called speed with speedid and speed and clockid) and another called clock (with clockid and clock) In speed I would only type the number and then have a drop down that looks up if it is KHz, MHz or GHZ from the cl...

Automatic Calculation on only one Worksheet
Is it possible to have one worksheet in a Workbook calulate manually while all others automatically? The reason I would like this is I have a sheet which pulls in real-time market data that slows down my Workbook if calculation is on automatic for the workbook. If I turn off automatic calculation for the workbook then I end up spending a lot of time hitting F9 or shift + F9. Thanks No. But I do think you can with two instances of Excel. Just start another Excel -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "sfrancoe2" <sfrancoe2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF6DE...

How can I get the zero values at the end of a chart not to show?
I have a chart getting data from a spreadsheet, where data is added one day at a time, for an entire month. After adding the data for the first day, the data point shows, but the line connecting the data point in the chart immediately drops to zero, since data for the remaining days is not available. Is there a way to just have the line connecting the data points show only where there is data, and not show anything for the upcoming days where data is not available? Thanks. 1) use a dynamic chart - see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Dynamic.htm or 2) rather than blanks f...

HOT investment tip, can you afford not to? #3
www.belgianpokermob.eu $200 added freeroll TODAY @ 15.00EST $200 added freeroll TODAY @ 17.00EST $200 added freeroll SUNDAY @ 15.00EST also on our site Limited $50 new player sponsorships available just a few Hrs now!! $10 Free no deposit needed!! Open 4 all !! FREE league with in JUNE 3WSOP seats to be won!!! FREE League in JULI $2500 cash + 2x EPT seats!! FREE POKER-BOOZE CRUISE in --->IBIZA (starts Juli 1st) $25-$200 Sponsorships (stats linked) August 2006 FREE pokerschool/News/Intervieuws...... give us a CLICK www.belgianpokermob.eu ...

How can I duplicate Outlook (mail, contact, calendar,etc) on my l.
When I travel i need to take an updated verison of by outlook files (calendar, contacts, tasks etc.). Is there a way to keep everthing in sync. jsu8249 <jsu8249@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I travel i need to take an updated verison of by outlook files > (calendar, contacts, tasks etc.). Is there a way to keep everthing in > sync. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Can CRM send Email without exchange?
Hi all, I asked this question the other day, but I re-read my post and it made no sense! Hence no replies I guess. My questions (put a bit more eloqantly) are: 1) Do you HAVE to use exchange to fire out an email? Can it be handled through CRM? Surely it's just pushing out SMTP traffic, but knowing MS this answer is going to be "no you must have exchange" 2) Can CRM be configured to use mailbox enabled user accounts that dont have the upn of the domain that the crm machine is in. As far as I can see, if you add the user into CRM by it's pre 2K name ie domain\username it wi...

Can't import pst file into Outlook 2007
I'm unable to import Outlook 2000 archived pst file into Office 2007 after upgrading my laptop to Vista from XP and Microsoft Office to 2007 from 2000. The attempt to open the pst file fails with the message: "File access denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." As far as I know, no passwords apply to the file, and when I click on Properties/Security it shows to allow full access. Does anyone know how I can import my old Outlook folder? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam Sam <no-email@STOP.SPAM.com> wrote: &g...

How can i print without margins
I am trying to print for postcard on one sheet, when i print the sheet i have margins set somewhere so it wont print on the corners. I have gone to arrange layout guides, and made that 0 that makes the pink line on the paper go all the way out, but i still have this blue dotted line Please someone tell me how to get rid of it, it wont let me print properly. O r any other solutions The layout guides have nothing to do with printing. Your printer must be capable of borderless printing. Please indicate what kind of printer you are using. -- Ron "Exit521" <Exit521@discussions...

multiple outbox items
HELP!!! my (digital camera pictures are attached) to outgoing mail, but- the mail is being sent over 9 times!!!! how can I set my outlook so it only sends ONE time to each individual?????? ...

Multiple Leads Conversions
If I meet with several people from the same company at one session, collect their Business cards, and then input them into CRM; How do I later convert them all to Contacts in a single account? -- Gadi its a long way but assuming crm 3.0 convert each lead to an account and contact then merge two accounts together and keep repeating till you have one account ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Gadi" <someone@example.com> wrote in message news:99311522-CDFB-452E-A23B-436DF03F153B@microsoft.com... > If I ...

Adding separate accumulators for multiple cells
I've learned to add an accumulator to multiple cells using the code on http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static dAccumulator As Double With Target If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("C8:O9")) Is Nothing Then If Not IsEmpty(.Value) And IsNumeric(.Value) Then dAccumulator = dAccumulator + .Value Else dAccumulator = 0 End If Application.EnableEvents = False .Value = dAccumulator Application.Ena...

Consolidating multiple sheets
I have over 70 sheets with the exact same layout which I want to consolidate. There is a list of all the sheet names on my summary page in Cells L6:L77. I tried using: =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&L6:L77&"'!AV32")) with AV32 being the first cell on each sheet I want to summarise. But it only returns the amount from the first sheet. Any ideas? -- http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~pele Phil, Look at Data - Consolidate. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Phil Osman" <PhilOsman@discussions.microsoft.com> w...