need to create a list box based on the selection of another list

I've done this in excel using =indirect in the list box.  need to repeat in
acces.. did have a response about a week ago, but cannot trace the link
someone gave me. sorry to have to ask again, but it looked exatly what i
wanted - had a new computer at work and they lost all my stored data...
thanks
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

what's your question ?

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Gover" <Gover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've done this in excel using =indirect in the list box.  need to repeat
> in
> acces.. did have a response about a week ago, but cannot trace the link
> someone gave me. sorry to have to ask again, but it looked exatly what i
> wanted - had a new computer at work and they lost all my stored data...
> thanks

This link shows two ways to do it:

    http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm
    Forms: Limit content of combo/list boxes

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
11/23/2007 3:46:40 PM
In excel I used list box's and in the source I had =indirect(a1) this enabled
me to let the user select which department in the first list, then depending
on their selection the second drop down list will be different  - based on
their selection.  I did put a post on asking how to repeat this in Access,
but cannot find my replies.  So I'm posting it again... any joy?

"Wayne-I-M" wrote:

> what's your question ?
>

> --
> Wayne
> Manchester, England.
>

> "Gover" wrote:
>
> > I've done this in excel using =indirect in the list box.  need to repeat in
> > acces.. did have a response about a week ago, but cannot trace the link
> > someone gave me. sorry to have to ask again, but it looked exatly what i
> > wanted - had a new computer at work and they lost all my stored data...
> > thanks
sorry dirk, but I have looked at your link and have no idea what the codes
mean or where to type them in... never used code in access, only used access
for standard stuff so far.

> sorry dirk, but I have looked at your link and have no idea what the codes
> mean or where to type them in... never used code in access, only used
> access
> for standard stuff so far.

You;re going to have to do some coding to make this work, but not much.
What's the name of your form, what are the names of your list boxes, what
are their rowsources, and how are those rowsources related to each other?
What is the field in the first list box that should be used to limit the
contents of the other?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk

Activies Showing Up In Another Users "My Activites" List
I have a user who is seeing 2 activites from another user. It would seem that the user also sees these activites. We tried re-assigning the activity but this did not work. Any other tips? ...

Cell Value vs Status Box Value
The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). Any suggestions/ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ awarner1 <<awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in news:awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com: > The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., > status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). > Any suggestions/ideas? What is the number format of the cell? -- My email address has an extra @ (spell ...

random select a percentage from a list
I am trying to randomly select a percentage from a list of 891 for assessment interviews. Do I use Rand ()*.1 for 10 percent of the selection? =RAND() gives you a number between 0 and 1 =RAND()*891 will give you a number between 0 and 891 You can round it to the nearest 1 with =ROUND(RAND()*891,0) If you only want to look at 10% of the 891, you can use =ROUND(RAND()*891*0.1,0) which will give you a number from 0 to 89. It is not clear exactly what you mean but i think you'll get what you need from what I have written. -- Allllen "Rocetman" wrot...

How to create a WS_POPUP window like menu window?
I do not want to use the CMenu or HMENU, and created a WS_POPUP window, make it looks like a menu, but when my menu window activeted, the main app window's title bar become gray. You know the system menu can get mouse move msg and the main app window's title bar do not became gray, Is there any hint? John Smith "John Smith" <tap05@126.com> wrote in message news:%2330OT9mYJHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I do not want to use the CMenu or HMENU, and created a WS_POPUP window, >make it looks like a menu, > > but when my menu window activeted, the m...

Money crash creating savings account
I am running Money version 12 under Vista home premium. When I select the "Investing" pull down menu and then select "Saving" from the list displayed money crashes. I have repaired my money file and tried it on the repaired money file and it still fails. I have copied the Sample.MNY file to my documents, where my normal money file is stored, and the facility works Ok I do not think I have ever tried to use this facility before. ...

#error in text box
I have this code in a text box = dsum("[Amount]", "[July 09 - On Billings and Adjustments Data Query]", "[Customer No] = " & [cboCustomerNumber] & " AND Format([Posting Date Period], ""yyyymm"") = '" & Format([cboPostingDate], "yyyymm") & "'") i keep getting #error in my text box i'm struggling to find they answer to why the query July 09 - On Billings and Adjustments Data Query has fields of customer Number posting periood date Amount Now i have two combo ...

Creating a cursor on the fly
Hi, I would like to create a cursor on the fly, it is only going to be a white square but because it will be different sizes it would be better to create it on the fly. Anybody have any idea on how i can create a cursor on the fly like that? Thanks. Sims Cursors are actually a BMP sprite, I have tried once saving a BMP file as .cur and it worked! Create a BMP on the fly and set it as a cursor, try it! - Vicky Vigia "Sims" <siminfrance@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#J5AQlSnDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>... > Hi, > > I would like to create a cursor ...

Creating a Pivot Chart
I am sure there is a pretty simple trick to this that I just cannot figure out. I would like to put these currencies into a pivot table and be able to filter by Country. My ideal situation would be able to set up a Pivot graph that I could pick and choose which currency I wanted to show using the report filter. Everytime I try I cannot get this result. My sheet is set up as the following. Colums have the Country Currency Ticker USD, JPY, GBP, etc with the values beneath them. The rows are labeled by date starting at 1/1/2006 to 10/22/08 starting in cell. The column labels start ...

format cell to allow listing
How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the next cell below- is there any other way besides 'wrap text' and putting in spaces? To create a manual line break, use: <Alt> <Enter>. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "cy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1536c01c3fa2c$66a21870$a501280a@phx.gbl... How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the...

counting rows depending on 2 selective values
Hi, well, I have lots of data and need to do some statistics on it. For that I need to count the number of rows "H" where a string value "X" is written but only if these rows also have cell which is NOT empty in column "E"... the if stuff drives me crazy (especially as i have a spanish version...) any help appreciated :) -- Acid-Sky ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Acid-Sky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thr...

Automatic transfer of data from one worksheet to another
I have two spread sheets, let's call them A and B. A could be considered the master work sheet. It has 15 columns A -O. The B worksheet has 13 columns, all of them which come from A. I have deleted Columns L and N in A when the data is transferred to worksheet B. I would like to know what the process is to set these up so that when I add or delete new information to or from A, it automatically transfers the same information to B, exclusive of columns L and N. Thanks very much Lewis Shaks How about a simple cell linking function? Look at column A in Worksheet B as an example. Lin...

Help needed for a simple spreadsheet
I use MS office 2000, using excell to calculate costings, i would lik to simplyfy the way i use the spreadsheet to calculate costs but canno find out how to set up a basic database which will automatically link t the spreadsheet, any help would be gratefully appreciated. Using a simple 5 column spreadsheet i would like to set it up a follows. Column A - enter simple item code (upto 10 digits) which wil auto-complete after 3 digits and allow scrolling through similar code until the correct item is found, column C would then automatically b entered with the full item description and column D...

ALT+F8 macro list without showing "Personal.xlsm!" for every macro?
Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to call up my list of macros with ALT+F8 and _not_ have "Personal.xlsm!" show in fornt of every one of them? It would make things just a bit easier if I could call up the list and begin typing the macro name and have the list find it for me. Ed ...

modeless dialog boxes and z order
My dialog based app creates several modeless dialogs. I want the window with focus to always be on top. So I want the modeless dialogs on top when activated. I want the main window on top when it is activated (click on it). I know this is contrary to standard behavior. I also know I may end up with hidden windows and have a plan. At this point however I cannot find a way for a modeless dialog to be below the window that created it. I have tried many different calls to SetWindowPos but somehow either MFC or Windows overrides these. Any help greatly appreciated. -- Charlie This...

Msg Box Code 05-10-07
On my form I need to make certain that the user types in the correct number into the text box CertificateNo. I need a message box to pop up with the message "Are you sure you have entered the correct Certificate Number?" when the user has entered a number. Can anyone write the code for me? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200705/1 On Thu, 10 May 2007 00:15:24 GMT, Uschi via AccessMonster.com wrote: > On my form I need to make certain that the user types in the correct number > into the text box Certific...

Smart List export not working
When I export out the smartlist results by clicking excel, I get the error 'EXP 1493. The Product is not currently loaded'. I checked my client, exp1493.exe is there and it is not read only. exp1493.dic is also there. This is GP 80 On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:52:42 -0700, "AA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I export out the smartlist results by clicking excel, >I get the error 'EXP 1493. The Product is not currently >loaded'. > >I checked my client, exp1493.exe is there and it is not >read only. exp1493.dic is also th...

How could a Message box popup in systray with yes/no option
How can we make a message box pop up from a system tray icon ,on notification to a specific icon ,with yes and no option on it . Either use AfxMessageBox, or MessageBox. AliR. "gaurav" <gauravnetwork@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155732162.797738.229580@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > How can we make a message box pop up from a system tray icon ,on > notification to a specific icon ,with yes and no option on it . > Check this out: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/TaskbarNotifier.asp Tom "gaurav" <gauravnetwork@gmail.com> wrote in message...

Need help with collection serialization
Can some Please tell me why the following collection is not XML Serializable: Imports System.Xml Imports System.Runtime.Serialization Namespace MyNamespace <Serializable()> Public Class SpecialResult Private m_SpecialID As Integer Private m_Description As String Private m_Adjustment As Decimal Public Property SpecialID() As Integer Get Return m_SpecialID End Get Set(ByVal Value As Integer) m_SpecialID = Value End Set End Property Public Property Description(...

desparately need help
i installed the camera icon on the QAT last week and experimented with it. got the message "The picture is too large and will be truncated". Now i get that message on every file and every time a enter something in a cell. i have removed the camera icon and have re-booted but am still having trouble. thanks in advance -- aprilshowers ...

Using ADODB, how do I create a msgbox when duplicate data is enter
Hello, I am having a problem creating a msgbox, when data entered through a form into a table is duplicated. I would like for a msgbox to popup, and warn the user for dupliucate data, before the actual data is entered into the table. I have an index for no duplicate set on a field in a table. How would I go about this? I have seen code for Jet, and have tried to translate it over to ADODB, but with many problems. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks I don't know the code which is causing the problems with Jet but have you tried working with the 'match&#...

Reports created in Access 2003
When we upgraded to 2007 all the reports that had been created in 2003 were no longer on the toolbar at the top of the screen and I can't find them anywhere. Help. ...

Using a Yes/No field to trigger a calculation in another field
I am trying to use an IIF statement to have a filed calculate based on another field having either Yes or No in it. The fields are: TotalTuitions - all the tuitions added together MultiClassTrigger - Yes/No fiield MultiClassDisc - 10% discount to be calculated depending on Yes/No IIF statement - MultiClassDisc:IIf([MultiClassTrigger]=Yes,[TotalTuitions]*0.1,0) This will work the first time that Yes is selected in the Trigger field but then the value will stay when I change the Trigger field back to No. With No selected it should change the discount field back to zero. ...

distribution lists #4
Does anyone know if anything can be done to fix my outlook problem? If I send an email to a distribution list and one of the addresses bounces ( invlaid, box fill, vacation setting, etc; ), everyone on my distribution list get the message reply not just me. How can I change the settings/preferences so everyone on my distribution list does not see the bounces or returns. Thanks!! Jenny ...

Dropdown lists
Hi all :) how do i create dropdown lists, ie so i can select a name from a lis instead of typing it hope you understand what i mean :confused: thanks for any help Stev -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Steve you can use Data validation for this. Try the following: - Select the cells you want a listbox for - Goto 'Data - Validation'. Choose 'List' and select a range with your stored names for the listbox For more information on data validation have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Frank > Hi all :) > > how do i crea...

A pal needs help on this site
A pal needs help on this site greetings fellow newsgroupers. I recently found a site called Microsoft Forums. In a very short time I became very known to the site and its an excellent tool. This guy who runs it is good too but needs a helping hand. Please do me a favor and check it out at http://www.msforums.org/ Categories are like Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Gaming, Servers, Developer and so on. Thanks to everyone. MDO Pro -- I go to Microsoft Forums, do you? http://www.msforums.org/ ...