Need Help... 03-07-10

I have two tables TblEmp and TblEmpService with a common field EmpID.
TblEmp has the fields: EmpID, EmpName and Site. A form is attached to this
table to enter new or edit existing employee.
TblEmpService fields are : EmpID, EmpName, ServiceType,Site..etc
I made a form  based on TblEmpService in which all the fields is there from
tblEmpService.
What I want is that if I put Employee ID in the EmpID text Box the Employee
Name should come in the EmpName text Box from the TblEmp. Also this Emplyee
ID should store in the TblEmpService.
Thanks & Regards,

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

hi Nad,

On 07.03.2010 13:51, Nad wrote:
> I have two tables TblEmp and TblEmpService with a common field EmpID.
> TblEmp has the fields: EmpID, EmpName and Site. A form is attached to this
> table to enter new or edit existing employee.
> TblEmpService fields are : EmpID, EmpName, ServiceType,Site..etc
Normally you don't need to store the name and the site redundantly.
I would recommend a table structure like this:

Employee:
ID AutoNumber, Primary Key, Not Null
Name Text(255), Not Null

ServiceType:
ID AutoNumber, Primary Key, Not Null
Name Text(255), Not Null

Site:
ID AutoNumber, Primary Key, Not Null
Name Text(255), Not Null

Service:
ID AutoNumber, Primary Key, Not Null
idEmployee Number(Long), Not Null
iderviceType Number(Long), Not Null
idSite Number(Long), Not Null
etc..

The primary key is a combined key over idEmployee, idServiceType and
idSite.

Build the foreign keys according to the field names in the service table.

> What I want is that if I put Employee ID in the EmpID text Box the Employee
> Name should come in the EmpName text Box from the TblEmp. Also this Emplyee
> ID should store in the TblEmpService.
Build a new form based on the service table. Place a ComboBox for each
foreign key field. Bound it on that corresponding idTableName field.
Change the RowSource of these ComboBoxes to the corresponding table. Set
the Bound Field to 1, the Column Count to 2 and Column Widths to 0;5.

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
3/7/2010 2:07:46 PM
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 04:51:01 -0800, Nad <Nad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have two tables TblEmp and TblEmpService with a common field EmpID.
>TblEmp has the fields: EmpID, EmpName and Site. A form is attached to this
>table to enter new or edit existing employee.
>TblEmpService fields are : EmpID, EmpName, ServiceType,Site..etc
>I made a form  based on TblEmpService in which all the fields is there from
>tblEmpService.
>What I want is that if I put Employee ID in the EmpID text Box the Employee
>Name should come in the EmpName text Box from the TblEmp. Also this Emplyee
>ID should store in the TblEmpService.
>Thanks & Regards,

You're mistaking how relational databases work. The employee name should exist
in TblEmp - and *NOPLACE ELSE*. Relational databases use the "Grandmother's
Pantry Principle": "A place - ONE place! - for everything, everything in its
place." You would store the name once (preferably as two fields LastName and
FirstName, perhaps middlename, Title and Suffix fields as well), and then use
Forms and Queries to tie them together. Table datasheets should *not* be used
for viewing or editing data, they're very limited.

See some of the tutorials here:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 04:51:01 -0800, Nad <Nad@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have two tables TblEmp and TblEmpService with a common field EmpID.
>>TblEmp has the fields: EmpID, EmpName and Site. A form is attached to this
>>table to enter new or edit existing employee.
>>TblEmpService fields are : EmpID, EmpName, ServiceType,Site..etc
>>I made a form  based on TblEmpService in which all the fields is there
>>from
>>tblEmpService.
>>What I want is that if I put Employee ID in the EmpID text Box the
>>Employee
>>Name should come in the EmpName text Box from the TblEmp. Also this
>>Emplyee
>>ID should store in the TblEmpService.
>>Thanks & Regards,
>
> You're mistaking how relational databases work. The employee name should
> exist
> in TblEmp - and *NOPLACE ELSE*. Relational databases use the
> "Grandmother's
> Pantry Principle": "A place - ONE place! - for everything, everything in
> its
> place." You would store the name once (preferably as two fields LastName
> and
> FirstName, perhaps middlename, Title and Suffix fields as well), and then
> use
> Forms and Queries to tie them together. Table datasheets should *not* be
> used
> for viewing or editing data, they're very limited.
>
> See some of the tutorials here:
>
> Jeff Conrad's resources page:
> http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html
>
> The Access Web resources page:
> http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html
>
> Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
>
> A free tutorial written by Crystal:
> http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html
>
> A video how-to series by Crystal:
> http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal
>
> MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
> http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials
>
> --
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
De
3/13/2010 5:42:27 PM
;:;jb:;

"Nad" <Nad@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : 31102E66-BF5A-4CB2-A6CD-23D8073C82BC@microsoft.com...
> I have two tables TblEmp and TblEmpService with a common field EmpID.
> TblEmp has the fields: EmpID, EmpName and Site. A form is attached to this
> table to enter new or edit existing employee.
> TblEmpService fields are : EmpID, EmpName, ServiceType,Site..etc
> I made a form  based on TblEmpService in which all the fields is there
> from
> tblEmpService.
> What I want is that if I put Employee ID in the EmpID text Box the
> Employee
> Name should come in the EmpName text Box from the TblEmp. Also this
> Emplyee
> ID should store in the TblEmpService.
> Thanks & Regards,

0
joelgeraldine

Help with SQL (Access2007)
Hello. I am trying to integrate data from several sites into 1 (new) table. In order to distinguish the data from each site in the new table I have a field (InstID) which holds the Instution number of the site. The fields from the old site tables and the new table are identical except for the InstID. InstID and ClientID are Primary Keys. The path to the old table is asked, then the number for the InstID is asked and placed as a variable - varInstID. I have an append sql as follows: Private Sub UpdateDB_Click() ' populate the clients table strSql = "INSERT INTO tblClients ( In...

forecast function help
This might seem a bit newbie but im having trouble with the forecas function. Say for example i have a collection of data for sales of each item ove a number of years: item 2000 2001 2002 2003 1 3 4 5 2 4 3 2 3 2 2 4 4 3 1 5 5 4 1 6 6 2 2 4 i am asked to forcast the values for the year 2003. I have read an looked at many examples on how to do this and still can't work ou where to start? Any help would ...

Data Entry Form 03-20-08
Hi, I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. This time, the form doesn't allow me to enter new data. In fact, all text boxes didn't let me to enter new information. Please help Thanks Chi Several things to check: In form properties: Allow Additions = Yes Allow Edits = Yes If the form's record source is a query, be sure the query is updatable. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Chi" wrote: > Hi, > > I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. > > This time, the ...

error messages 03-03-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop Was syncing entourage with mailme when i got an error message. I clicked it off and they kept coming...at one time I had 20 on the screen. I had to close the program and then turn off my Macbook Pro, then turn it on. I cannot use Entourage without this happening...opened it and one popped right up. On 2010-03-02 22:09:33 -0500, padreruf@officeformac.com said: > Was syncing entourage with mailme when i got an error message. I > clicked it off and they kept coming...at one time I had 20 on the &...

Combo Box problem 05-07-07
I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a value the form reverts to the first record it doesn't stay with the current record. I have a NotinList procedure that opens another form to enable the user to add to the list of values in the combo control and when I close this second form the new value is recorded but again the form goes to the first record and doesn't stay with the current one. Anyone any ideas where I can start looking for the reason why this happens? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: > I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a val...

Need help with Excel Form & ComboBox Tutorial
At http://www.excel-vba.com/v-forms-controls.htm I have followed instructions... my code on the form is below but it won't run... I've marked the error... Can anybody give me any help with this? thanks Code is below-------------- Private Sub cmdBtnSubmit_Click() shReport.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub cmdCityCancel_Click() cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Activate() shParameterst.Activate '<-----Run Time Error 424 - Object Required...

Need to set up a slide with 4 text boxes on same page.
Want to end up with 4 "bulleted" boxes that I can to show 4 strategies and associated task on same page. Also, if possible have each one drop in individually to allow flow conrol for the presentation Are you asking a question about how to do that or having trouble with part of that? If the former, just create four separate text boxes with bulleted text, you are not limited to only one text box per slide. Use the Custom Animation, Effects Options, Text Animation settings to control the entrance of the bullet points. Since you didn't say what version of PowerPoi...

Customer Address Help
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to run a customer report that invluced the customers address, city, state, and zip in it. I am not very familiar with crystal reports, so if there is another way that would be awesome. Thanks, -Bill H On CustomerSource there is a section called the "Report Library"- I think it's under downloads. In the RMS Report Library MS has provided several new or modified reports, including one with customer address. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:40:10 -0700, Bill H <bill@platinumpools.com> wrote: > Hi, I was wondering if anybody k...

Outlook Reminders #10
Hi Everyone, Hope this question has not been answered before. I have transfered all my business data from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003. I created all the user accounts from scratch on the new server using the same usernames as the old server. I then restored all their email to Exchange 2003 using Veritas Backup Exec 10.1 Ever since then no reminders have came up in Outlook on any PC when the user logs in and runs Outlook. We run various version of Outlook (2000 / 2002 / 2003) all with the same problem. When I log in via Outlook web access the reminders appear so I suspect it is a Outlook t...

Macro Help/Duplicate Items + Insert Rows + Sum
I am trying to create a template that will do the following: 1. Find Duplicate Entries (AlphaNumeric) In A Column 2. Insert 2 Rows Between The Duplicate Entries Then: 1. Sub-Total(Another Column With Random Numbers) Of The Duplicate Entries 2. Format the Sub-Total In Bold I have gotten to the point of writting a macro that will identify the duplicate entries; does anybody know how to do the rest? This is a changing set of data, transferred to excel from a relational database (Lotus123 Rel2, which contains anywhere between 3000 to 5000 rows. I cannot spend time grouping the data ...

Help with graph / chart
I have a graph for weeks 1-52, I have split this into 4 seperate graphs each showing a quarter (13 weeks) I cant remember exactly how I created them but possibly using some sort of copy paste as each chart show weeks 1 - 13 along the bottom. This should read......... for chart 1 1-13 for chart 2 14 - 26 chart 3 27 - 40 chart 4 41 - 52 How do I change this on each chart to read the week numbers indicated.? thanks Hi, You need to define the Category labels for the chart. Chart 1 is fine as it defaults to the values 1 to 13. For the other 3 charts you will need to create...

Crystal Report error: information is needed 02-03-04
After reinstalling CRM I get this error when I try to get a report. I know there is information since I'm just asking for the user list. ---------------------------------------- CrystalReportViewer Information is needed before this report can be processed. Information is needed before this report can be processed. ---------------------------------------- Any Ideas? Thanks Also recieved this error, and have logged an issue with MS, no resolution yet. One tip they did provide, remove any underscores ("_") from the server name. This has resolved the issue for a lot ...

Need to populate a Report with several records
In short, I have one report containing 5 records from the same table. The individual records are layed out to support proper printing. I need to populate each record with from the same table. I can not give them all the same pointer to the table or I get 5 copies of the same record. How can I populate those 5 records with 5 records from my table? I think you need to have a group by in your report. Thus you will get 1 group of data for each of the 5 that you are refering to as 5 records. "Bill" wrote: > In short, I have one report containing 5 records from the same t...

unable to load help topic
Using Money 2004 deluxe. Asking for help I get "unable to load topic" try again. No help, same responce. I went to MS Knowledge base article 812755. Which says 'clear the cache' Which I did. No help, still 'unable to load topic' Tried asking a 'Microsoft pro', could not get a screen to ask my question. Any suggestions? I cleared both MS IE and my default browser, and tried again, still no help. Seems like I should be able to get 'HELP' I even reloaded the Money program, still no HELP. Thanks for any 'HELP" Walt In microsoft.public.money...

I lost my Access (Office) 2003 disk
I have MS Office 2003 loaded on my computer, but someone stole all my program disks just over a year ago, and now I'm finding that things like the subform wizard doesn't load automatically with the program, but has to be loaded later from the program disk (I'm working out of some tutorial-type books for Access 2003). Is there some way of getting around this? Either just using Access workarounds, or is there some way of getting a hold of these (apparent) add-ins to the program, either on line or on disc? Thanks Rob, I answered your question in the Forms newsgroup, this morning. -...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

running 9 and 10 on same mahine
We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows server 2003. It is possible to install and run version 10 on the same machine? If so, do I need a separate instance of SQL 2005? Both versions are being used in a teaching environment so the normal caveats about mission critical systems does not apply. Thanks. Dr. Jerry Flatto University of Indianapolis Indianapolis, IN, USA 2007 Excellence in Education Pinnacle winner On Jul 31, 12:48 pm, Jerry Flatto <JerryFla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows ser...

Massive Report: Have you ever done this? Help Please
Hi, I am compiling the results of a survey in ACC2003 as a paper appendix. I have about 60 report objects which are about 2 to 4 pages of text each. I have about 60 Pivot Charts and tables as separate form objects. I want to have one report which has the charts and tables and text in it since this would be easy to layout and the page numbering would flow right through. Is this the correct way to do it? I have made a start and the first few pages are fine with charts and tables. However, Access seems to have space restrictions on the height of a report group? When I increase the ...

SMTP Help!!!
I have a customer with a new Exchange 2003 server Single AD domain on one server DNS server local and seems to be working correctly Cable internet through Comcast Had been receiving 2012 and 2013 app log events Increased the DNSErrorsBeforeFailover as suggested in a knowledgebase article 2012 & 2013 Errors have stop but replaced with 4006 events No mail flow inbound or outbound for past 2 days!! SMTP appears busted, cannot telnet in or out on Port 25 even though firewall has port forwarding on that port Switched firewalls with same result Noticed periodic Back Orifice attack attem...

Test #10
This is a test ...

Back End on NAS Device 02-26-10
Repost - I originally posted via Outlook Express newsreader, but my post apparently did not show up here and did not get a response from a Microsoft Engineer as promised by my MSDN supscription. Access 2007 split FE/BE, each user has their own FE. Combination of TS and local LAN users. System worked fine when the BE was on the server. A few hours after client moved it to a NAS device, the BE corrupted. In searching, I can find very little relating to Access back end and NAS. Does anyone know of any issues with locating an Access BE on a NAS device? -- AG Email: npATadhdat...

Macro Error, annoying plz help?
Hi, new to this board and kinda new to Excel as well. I created an excell file which includes various (difficult) calculations. And it's all finished and ready for distribution :P Cept for 2 minor things which i can't seem 2 fix. The most important one is this Macro Error which keeps popping up when you open the file. (I included a combo-box form, i think it's gotta do with that). Because if u pick something from that list (combo box) the error pops up again, very annoying of course. There is one way to prevent this as far as i could see and that was by setting macro security low....

Basic Worksheet Help
I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? These are Excel groups -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS web: www.nickhodge.co.uk blog (non-tech): www.nickhodge.co.uk/blog/ <Hollins3@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:1180278623.923893.261800@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? > Hollins3@googlemail.com wrote: > I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? > Easy workaround:...

Help!!! Migration Problem!
Morning Guys, We're migrating from one Windows 2003 domain to another (acquisition). DomainA.lab - Forest Trust 2000, Domain Trust 2003 DomainB.lab - Forest Trust 2003, Domain Trust 2003 Migration from DomainA.lab to DomainB.lab - Trust relationship external, 2-way, Domain Wide Authentication Side Filtering disabled on both domain and I can also see the SID History attribute which is correct Problem: Users in domainA cant can't access SOME shares on domainB computers. The SIDHistory attribute in DomainB matches the SID of the group in DomainA, but still no luck. Any su...

Drop down list 03-27-10
Hello, Im trying to create a linked multiple drop down list in excel and im not sure if it can be done, such as in the first list of pipe diameter, second list wall thickness, pipe outer diameter, third list circumference and so on. when the an item from the first list is selected, the following lists are to show the specific value based upon the first selection. help would very much appreciated, thank you I think that www.contextures.com has some assistance to offer. Look at this first: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html and if that's not exactly what you need...