Mutliple Complex Queries - How to Combine into One Result/Report?

I have data that I must access on a weekly basis that involves a number of
criteria. To date, I have performed each query and then coalesced my findings
(by hand) into a table. Something tells me that this would be far easier with
better knowledge of the program.

I have three major data categories (Poor Performance rating, Location, and
Seniority) that are dependent upon sorting the Employees into three different
sections (Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated). For each of the sections, I
must calculate the percentage based upon the main data categories (Horizontal
headings are Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated; Vertical Headings are
Performance Rating, Location, and Seniority). For example, I need to
calculate the percentage of how many people who were dismissed had a poor
performance rating, how may retained had a poor performance rating, and how
many people who were reallocated had a poor performance rating. The rest of
the table must include percentages for all of the other categories calculated
in the same way.

Is there a way to construct a single query (or multiple queries if
necessary) that would capture this data and that could allow me to pull the
same data on a weekly  basis? Is this something more for a report? Can the
report pull all of this data together and do it on a regular basis?

As you probably can tell, I'm still learning what I can about the program.
Thank you for your patience!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Test
"Inuchan" <Inuchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>
> I have data that I must access on a weekly basis that involves a number of
> criteria. To date, I have performed each query and then coalesced my
> findings
> (by hand) into a table. Something tells me that this would be far easier
> with
> better knowledge of the program.
>
> I have three major data categories (Poor Performance rating, Location, and
> Seniority) that are dependent upon sorting the Employees into three
> different
> sections (Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated). For each of the sections,
> must calculate the percentage based upon the main data categories
> (Horizontal
> headings are Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated; Vertical Headings are
> Performance Rating, Location, and Seniority). For example, I need to
> calculate the percentage of how many people who were dismissed had a poor
> performance rating, how may retained had a poor performance rating, and
> how
> many people who were reallocated had a poor performance rating. The rest
> of
> the table must include percentages for all of the other categories
> calculated
> in the same way.
>
> Is there a way to construct a single query (or multiple queries if
> necessary) that would capture this data and that could allow me to pull
> the
> same data on a weekly  basis? Is this something more for a report? Can the
> report pull all of this data together and do it on a regular basis?
>
> As you probably can tell, I'm still learning what I can about the program.
> Thank you for your patience!

0
Administrator
1/13/2008 1:05:20 AM
Hi Inuchan

You can use Queries as tables to create a master Query

Create a new Select Query Name it qry_ReportQuery
Enter each query as if it were a table (excluding the percenrage
calculations of each query)
Test your qry_ReportQuery at this stage.
If you have all the other data displayed
Calculate the percentages in the qry_ReportQuery
If you try to calculate the percentages earlier you may get the Error
Message "TO COMPLEX"
Or your qry_ReportQuery may take an excessive amout of time to calculate.
Structure your weekly report based on qry_ReportQuery.

Have Fun

DeltaTech

"Inuchan" <Inuchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>
> I have data that I must access on a weekly basis that involves a number of
> criteria. To date, I have performed each query and then coalesced my
> findings
> (by hand) into a table. Something tells me that this would be far easier
> with
> better knowledge of the program.
>
> I have three major data categories (Poor Performance rating, Location, and
> Seniority) that are dependent upon sorting the Employees into three
> different
> sections (Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated). For each of the sections,
> must calculate the percentage based upon the main data categories
> (Horizontal
> headings are Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated; Vertical Headings are
> Performance Rating, Location, and Seniority). For example, I need to
> calculate the percentage of how many people who were dismissed had a poor
> performance rating, how may retained had a poor performance rating, and
> how
> many people who were reallocated had a poor performance rating. The rest
> of
> the table must include percentages for all of the other categories
> calculated
> in the same way.
>
> Is there a way to construct a single query (or multiple queries if
> necessary) that would capture this data and that could allow me to pull
> the
> same data on a weekly  basis? Is this something more for a report? Can the
> report pull all of this data together and do it on a regular basis?
>
> As you probably can tell, I'm still learning what I can about the program.
> Thank you for your patience!

0
DeltaTech
1/13/2008 1:08:58 AM
Thank you so very much for your help! If you don't mind, I do have one
question: as for entering each query as if it were a table, can you offer
more advice on doing so? I am currently using Design View, but I'm at a
little bit of a loss as to how to enter in all of the queries that are needed.

THANK YOU!

"DeltaTech" wrote:

> Hi Inuchan
>
> You can use Queries as tables to create a master Query
>
> Create a new Select Query Name it qry_ReportQuery
> Enter each query as if it were a table (excluding the percenrage
> calculations of each query)
> Test your qry_ReportQuery at this stage.
> If you have all the other data displayed
> Calculate the percentages in the qry_ReportQuery
> If you try to calculate the percentages earlier you may get the Error
> Message "TO COMPLEX"
> Or your qry_ReportQuery may take an excessive amout of time to calculate.
> Structure your weekly report based on qry_ReportQuery.
>
> Have Fun
>
> DeltaTech
>

> "Inuchan" <Inuchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> >
> > I have data that I must access on a weekly basis that involves a number of
> > criteria. To date, I have performed each query and then coalesced my
> > findings
> > (by hand) into a table. Something tells me that this would be far easier
> > with
> > better knowledge of the program.
> >
> > I have three major data categories (Poor Performance rating, Location, and
> > Seniority) that are dependent upon sorting the Employees into three
> > different
> > sections (Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated). For each of the sections,
> > must calculate the percentage based upon the main data categories
> > (Horizontal
> > headings are Dismissed, Retained, and Reallocated; Vertical Headings are
> > Performance Rating, Location, and Seniority). For example, I need to
> > calculate the percentage of how many people who were dismissed had a poor
> > performance rating, how may retained had a poor performance rating, and
> > how
> > many people who were reallocated had a poor performance rating. The rest
> > of
> > the table must include percentages for all of the other categories
> > calculated
> > in the same way.
> >
> > Is there a way to construct a single query (or multiple queries if
> > necessary) that would capture this data and that could allow me to pull
> > the
> > same data on a weekly  basis? Is this something more for a report? Can the
> > report pull all of this data together and do it on a regular basis?
> >
> > As you probably can tell, I'm still learning what I can about the program.
> > Thank you for your patience!

Hi Inuchan

You may want to read the help files on how to create tables and queries.

Open the new query in design view
"Click" on View Tables
"Click" on the Queries Tab
Enter the queries in the same way as you enter tables

Have Fun

DeltaTech

> [...]
>> > poor
>> > performance rating, how may retained had a poor performance rating, and
>> > how
>> > many people who were reallocated had a poor performance rating. The
>> > rest
>> > of
>> > the table must include percentages for all of the other categories
>> > calculated
>> > in the same way.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to construct a single query (or multiple queries if
>> > necessary) that would capture this data and that could allow me to pull
>> > the
>> > same data on a weekly  basis? Is this something more for a report? Can
>> > the
>> > report pull all of this data together and do it on a regular basis?
>> >
>> > As you probably can tell, I'm still learning what I can about the

0
DeltaTech
1/13/2008 6:50:29 PM
Thanks much, DeltaTech. I have been scouring the help files and feel like I'm
just about there. I appreciate your help.

"DeltaTech" wrote:

> Hi Inuchan
>
> You may want to read the help files on how to create tables and queries.
>
> Open the new query in design view
> "Click" on View Tables
> "Click" on the Queries Tab
> Enter the queries in the same way as you enter tables
>
> Have Fun
>
> DeltaTech
>

> "Inuchan" <Inuchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you so very much for your help! If you don't mind, I do have one
> > question: as for entering each query as if it were a table, can you offer
> > more advice on doing so? I am currently using Design View, but I'm at a
> > little bit of a loss as to how to enter in all of the queries that are
> > needed.
> >
> > THANK YOU!
> >
> > "DeltaTech" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Inuchan
> >>
> >> You can use Queries as tables to create a master Query
> >>
> >> Create a new Select Query Name it qry_ReportQuery
> >> Enter each query as if it were a table (excluding the percenrage
> >> calculations of each query)
> >> Test your qry_ReportQuery at this stage.
> >> If you have all the other data displayed
> >> Calculate the percentages in the qry_ReportQuery
> >> If you try to calculate the percentages earlier you may get the Error
> >> Message "TO COMPLEX"
> >> Or your qry_ReportQuery may take an excessive amout of time to calculate.
> >> Structure your weekly report based on qry_ReportQuery.
> >>
> >> Have Fun
> >>
> >> DeltaTech
> >>

> >> "Inuchan" <Inuchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

How does one view a document created in Publisher.
I have gotten a document (calendar) in .pub format. Word does not recognize it. Is there a viewer? What's the link? I have Office 2000 with the converters installed. Collins wrote: >I have gotten a document (calendar) in .pub format. Word > does not recognize it. Is there a viewer? What's the > link? I have Office 2000 with the converters installed. ==================================== There is no viewer for Publisher files. Maybe you could ask the sender to convert it to a .pdf file. Or you could order the Trial version of Pub2003... which will still function as a viewer a...

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

How do I increase query field length (>20 characters) ?
I want to exclude 3 or 4 variables from a particular query. Using Not "xx"or"yy" is fine, but when excluding more than this, query fails. I think the problem is that the total text characters is quite large (approx 60 characters in total, from four exclusions). Ideas, please ? 60 characters is not the limit. 1024 characters is the limit. POST the SQL of the query that is not working (View: SQL on the menu) or at a minimum post what you are attempting as the criteria. Also "query fails" does not tell us if you get an error (what is it) or the wrong resul...

Get $500 to your PAYPAL Account by just one CLICK)

Query wildcard symbols
Just a heads-up in case this bites you, too. I migrated an application from Access 2002 to Access 2007. I have a search form for the users to enter some criteria ... the form dynamically builds a SQL WHERE clause before opening a "results" form based on an underlying query that includes all the fields available to search on. Once in Access 2007 format, the search form opens empty every time?! When I add selection criteria to the underlying query directly, the result set is empty every time?! Oh wait, I'm using the "*" (anything/everything) wildcard character. W...

How to create web-based reports from RMS database.
The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail store. I need sell the through rate, average sale, sales/sf, return rate, discount analysis, all broken down by date, week, month, year, category, supplier, and then compare against last year's numbers. I want to create my own web-based reports accessing RMS's SQL database. Does anyone have a template of data access web page so all I have to do is change the SQL statement in getting to the right database table? mas wrote: > The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail > ...

Compare records in multiple sheet -> report
Hi! I have a workbook consisting of ten sheets. To simplify my question let�s say that the three first columns of every sheet denotes the spatial coordinates x,y,z and the fourth column is a scalar value. Some x,y,z-triplets exist in all 10 sheets, some exists in only a few sheets, if the triplet exists, then also the scalar value of the 4th column exists. What I would like to do is to find all unique x,y,z-triplets and show them in the first column of a new sheet. In columns 2-11, I would like to show the scalar value(from the corresponding x,y,z-triplet of course) in column 4 in s...

Error while trying to access reports
Hi all, I have a user who is Admin and gets this error when she clicks on the report icon: Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the r...

No results using DateDiff
I am working with DateDiff . I get no error messages but also do not get any results in my calculated field. I have two dates, START_DATE and END_DATE and I need to know the number of days between them. START_DATE and END_DATE are both Date/Time type with a Short Date format. I am working in the QBE grid to write the query. I select an empty column and put my DateDiff calculation on the line below Or: in the Criteria area. I have tried: [END_DATE]-[START_DATE] and DateDiff("d",[START_DATE],[STOP_DATE]) Both approaches ask for parameter values for Time and STOP_DATE. If I d...

Create Pivot Table Reports
I just finished installing Analysis Cube on the server, everything seemed working fine until when I try to create the Pivot Table Report (Tools->Analysis Cubes->Create Pivot Table Reprots). After I called up the pre-defined 'Definition ID' and click on the Excel icon, a message popped up saying " The WHTemplate.XLT file was not found." Anybody have any idea what that is, and how to resolve it?? Thanks. 1.) There are two pieces of software. Did you install both the server piece, and the client piece? 2.) Is Excel installed on the machine, on which you'r...

recording merger with combination cash & shares
I owned Company A stock. Its shares were merged into Company B. The terms of the merger were that for each share of company A, I received ..1906 shares of Company B plus $16.50. How should I record this in Money 2003? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090004080308090304020802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I tried a "return of capital" for the cash portion but Money 2003 deluxe voided the transaction after I entered the merger. So I lied and did the return of capital the day before. The probl...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?

Infopath w/ manually entered values in drop-down and qry results
I had originally posted this elsewhere, but was told this forum is the appropariate plase. I have an Infopath form with a drop-down listbox, that is poulated with manually-entered values. I choose a value, submit the updated data, and it does put the correct value in the SQL 2005 database. However, the next time I query the data, the value in the drop-down list box is the default value for the list-box, not the value from the database, which is misleading. I would have expected the drop-down listbox to display the value from the database instead. Thanks. On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, in...

Importing a table from Access query
What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? Thanks in advance. Hi The way I usually do this is run the select query, click on the top-right box (which selects all records) and use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste into my workbook. An alternative is to right-click on the query in the Database Window and left-click on Export. In the Save As dialog box, select ..xls type. -- Andy. "Trish" <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BF3DE22-6590-4CAD-9EE1-FC978A3BB63B@microsoft.com... > What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? >...

Reports not availble on ssms
Hello Gurus, Here is a situation I have versions of SQL from 2000 to 2008 in both the 2005 and 2008 version of ssms I can not see the report section when right clicking on a database in SSMS. However I can view these reports when I RDC into the server using the exact same windows credentials?? Is there something missing on my client tool that would cause this? or What?? help! Wisord *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** ...

Date range for a report
Hi I am trying to run a query and can't seem to nail down the right code. We use the access database to track files, incoming/outgoing correspondence dates etc. I am trying to run a query that show me files with dates in a follow up field of -60 days to +7 days, so essentially any follow ups missed in the last 2 months and up coming in the next week. This report is run on a weekly basis. Appreciate any help Thanks Assuming that the follow up field is actually a date/time data type, try this in the criteria: Between Date() - 60 and Date() + 7 -- Jerry Whittle, ...

Report Server Error 09-28-07
After uninstalling MSCRM from my server, I tried installing it again. This has led me to the problem of the report server. I'm using the default server name http://<servername>/reportserver and it's still not realizing that it is actually there and fully running. I've checked the Services section of my server and also checked the individual server status. Both are running within normal parameters. Before the uninstall, the report server was running properly and CRM recognised that it was actually there. Any ideas? ....reed Is this SQL Server 2000 or 2005 SRS? 1. Fo...

How do I link one database inside another?
I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open another database. Thanks. Why? As in "why open a separate database?" Would it be sufficient to have the tables from both databases linked into a common front-end file? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "julrankay" <julrankay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6DEF9FE-C983-4503-BCD8-75FF0354A533@microsoft.com... > I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open > another database. Thanks. > if you used Access Data Projects then...

Reading empty query returns
When I open a form that has a bound query as the record source, no data appears (including the control objects of the form) if the query's select statement does not finds records that match the criteria I specify. This causes a problem in my VBA code as the variable I use to check the number of records returned by the query does not seem to be able to read empty query returns, even if I use isnull. So I guess I am asking how can I get Access to read an empty result set in VBA from a SQL select statement that is run??? Here is part of my code for this: DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName2, , ...

Query Flaw???
I need only one value from an aggregate Query - TheStores, which means the Number of Inspections in a "From - To" Timeframe. I use that as part of a calculation. The "Inspections" table contains only a Store and an InspectionDate. It gives me the result I need...but no Join...the Query has several other Fields from "Randy_F_FindFreq", but has been trimmed as an example here. SELECT Randy_F_FindFreq.AAll, Randy_Insp.TheStores, Round([AAll]/[TheStores],4) AS PerAll FROM Randy_F_FindFreq, Randy_Insp; Is this "sound"? TIA - Bob Without a join yo...

Crystal Reports help
We are currently using GP 8.0 and Crystal Reports 10. We will be running most of our reports through Crystal because you can do so much more than with the Report Writer. I am looking for a good reference book for Crystal 10 (this is the first version I have ever used) any suggestions? You can get books on Crystal 10 in any large bookseller. One thing you won't get is how to use Crystal with Great Plains. There was some training materials available. You will want to consult the Great Plains SDK for help on the tables to use. JO wrote: > We are currently using GP 8.0 and Crystal R...

Combine and Decode #2
Hi Microsoft Office Software Support Group, I have searched the interne (well Google anyway) for the answer to this problem I�m having wit Outlook, and it seems I am not alone. Several of the results bring m to this forum alas none to the solution. Perhaps it�s the way in whic the question is being asked? So to deliberate a tad� Before I begin; Enabling �Block image and other external content i HTML e-mail� is not the solution. This simply blocks images and conten not actually in the mail, but linked to on internet sites. So to start; I�m subscribed to a newsgroup where people post thei col...

not repeating text boxes in reports with columns
Hello, I am trying to create a report with columns without repeating certain text boxes. Here is an example of what I would like to create: [Date] "Month1" [Date] "Month2" [Date] "Month3" [Product] "Product1": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product2": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product3": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product4": [q...

Access SSRS Throug SSMS not Report Manager
Without giving someone membership into the "BUILTIN\Administrators" group, how would one enable a user to be able to access SSRS through SSMS? SSMS >> Connect >> Reporting Services >> {Server Name} I'm currently getting the error below: TITLE: Connect to Server ------------------------------ Cannot connect to {servername}. (removed the server name) ------------------------------ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: A connection to the computer cannot be established. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient) ------------------------------ Acces...

Counting in a Report
I have the following entered for the Control Source in a group header text box on my report: =Abs(Sum([CountOfGoal])) Now in the footer of my report I want to add the result of those text boxes in another text box. What should I enter for the Control Source of that text box? Thanks, CEV "CEV" <chadv@advancebkg.com> wrote in message <evr8e50dpb@enews1.newsguy.com>: > I have the following entered for the Control Source in a group header > text box on my report: > > =Abs(Sum([CountOfGoal])) > > Now in the footer of my report I want to add the re...