Multiple Users 10-25-07

My company will be using an accesss database so that multiple users can input
information at one time.  How do we do this so that no one will overwrite the
others work? We do not want it to be read only, is there a way to do that?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Look at this link on "Splitting a Microsoft Access Database"

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/split_a_database.html

--
Good Luck
BS"D

"Nat" wrote:

> My company will be using an accesss database so that multiple users can input
> information at one time.  How do we do this so that no one will overwrite the
> others work? We do not want it to be read only, is there a way to do that?
You need to decide on which is the most effective locking strategy in your
case.  The options are optimistic locking (no locks), pessimistic locking
(edited record) and table locking (all records).  You usually only need
consider the first two in the context of users inputting data via forms.

Optimistic locking allows more than one user to concurrently edit the same
record.  If a record being edited by one user is edited and saved by a second
user then a write conflict occurs.  The first user is alerted to this when
they attempt to save the record and is given the opportunity of (a) saving
the record, in which case they overwrite the second user's changes; (b)
copying the changes to the clipboard and refreshing the record with the
second user's changes; (c) dropping the changes , in which case the record is
refreshed with the second user's changes.

Pessimistic locking immediately locks a record as soon as one user starts to
edit it, so another user is prevented from making any changes until the
record has been saved and thus unlocked.  A user viewing the locked record
will see a circle with a diagonal bar across it in the record selector bar on
the left of the form.

Optimistic locking used to be the most popular despite its drawbacks as, in
early versions of Access, a complete 'page' of data was locked by pessimistic
locking, which could be several records, not just the current one.  Nowadays
pessimistic locking is usually favoured as only the current record per se is
locked.

You can set the default locking strategy in the Advanced tab of the Options
dialogue (Tools | Options on the main database menu bar – in Access 2003 at
least, it might differ in later versions).  In forms you can set the form's
RecordLocks property in the properties sheet.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Nat" wrote:

> My company will be using an accesss database so that multiple users can input
> information at one time.  How do we do this so that no one will overwrite the
> others work? We do not want it to be read only, is there a way to do that?

Retrieving Current User Information from JScript (OnChange)
I am adding functionality to one of my client's OnChange scripts to append the Current User Name into a memo field with date and action information. I scoured the web but can not find a way to properly retrieve the Current User information. Any information would be incredibly appreciated. ...

Cannot send mail using either port 25 or 587
I don't understand why this has only recently been happening but I cannot send mail using smtp in ol 2003. I am trying to send using my Yahoo account but the send receive says that it is sending messages that are not actually in the outbox, e.g (bottom rh corner of screen sending 2 of 3 messages when there are no messages there to send) then after a short while it says error send receive. My ISP is BT and apparently they block port 25 so I changed the port settings (as recommended by Yahoo) to port 587 but I still cannot send from within outlook. I have configured my e mail accou...

how do i send an email to multiple contacts, while hiding names?
I want to send the same message to multiple people, but I don't want once recepient to see the name of the other. Use BCC. In a new email, you can find it when you choose the View button from the menu bar. "Sending emails to multiple people." <Sending emails to multiple people.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46EEF4A0-4EB1-4747-9A3F-1299102820B8@microsoft.com... > I want to send the same message to multiple people, but I don't want once > recepient to see the name of the other. ...

Mailbox Size #10
Does anybody knows if there is default mailbox size, when I tried to configure the storage limits in AD over 2 gig a message said: The value for 'Issue warning at (KB)' is not valid. Specify a value from 0 through 2097151. Using Windows 2003 server and Exchange 2003. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:01:39 -0500, "johnstep" <ai7802@wayne.edu> wrote: >Does anybody knows if there is default mailbox size, when I tried to >configure the storage limits in AD over 2 gig a message said: > >The value for 'Issue warning at (KB)' is not valid. Specify a value from ...

Copying recordset multiple times using copyfromrecordset
We recently caught this issue but found out after research, that this has been occuring all year. This code worked in the past, but I am not sure if there was an Excel update that occurred which changed the behavior of the script. What we are trying to do is to have a recordset pasted twice into two seperate worksheets. It is pasting without issue in the first copyfromrecordset, but then it skips over the second paste (even when stepping through the code). I know that it is not the worksheet we are copying into because I can reverse the 'first paste/second paste' (see lab...

unable to receive email from a certain user
I have a problem where I am not receiving email from a certain user within our organization. I am able to receive all other mail, from other users, but when this user sends me mail.. I never get it. It shows as sent from the sender, and I dont have any rules in place that would be moving it from the inbox. Any thoughts?! Please help!! -Justin is the user able to reply to mail sent 'from' you? have they got the correct spelling of your name etc? "Justin" <jhenretta@pwlink.com> wrote in message news:066801c3aeed$4bd6db00$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a problem wh...

requery 05-29-07
Hi, How can I refresh records on listbox, after I deleted a record. Listbox source is a query. When I click a command button, I want delete a record and I refresh records display on listbox. thanks hi Florin, Florin wrote: > How can I refresh records on listbox, after I deleted a record. > Listbox source is a query. Try: ListboxName.Requery. This will also work for combo boxes and subforms. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Edited by another user..?
Hi, I get the odd message when I try to edit a record in a SQL-server table: 'The record is edited by another user....' I know that I'm the only one editing the record. I have tried to restart Access but been unsuccessful. What can be wrong? Kent J. Hello Kent. Kent J. wrote: > Hi, > I get the odd message when I try to edit a record in a SQL-server > table: 'The record is edited by another user....' I know that I'm > the only one editing the record. I have tried to restart Access > but been unsuccessful. > What can be wrong? Maybe you have opene...

Attachments in e-mail sent to many users
Hello All I am trying to find out how to send an e-mail attachment to a lot of different contacts in CRM 3.0. We were told there was a way but the instructions don't work. The e-mail goes to all the receipents but no attachment is every sent. Can someone please give me directions on how this is done. -- Thanks ...

Antivirus for Win98 04-09-10
What good free antrivrus still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped. Thanks Henry "Henry" <wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message news:hpo0mp$gjl$1@news.eternal-september.org... > What good free antrivrus still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG > stopped. > > Thanks Henry, Did you look at the other posts in this group before you asked your question? That's a rhetorical question as the answer is apparent. There's a thread running here for the past 9 days, Subject: antivirus for win98 Read it...... -- Glen Ventura, MS M...

A macro code to print multiple sheets in different w.books
Hi, i know i am not supposed to post the question twice, but could not get e reply on that forum. Sorry in advance. below is my question: Hi there, can anyone help me with the codes to get a macro to print local wbook sheets along with the several sheets in other workbooks? I was able to record a macro to print worksheets in the local workbook, but how do i make the same macro to print the worksheets in three more different workbooks with multiple worksheets in them? Thanks in advance? Have you tried recording a macro where you open the other books and print the appropriate sh...

Update report 03-29-07
I want to make change to the report design, but the database is already issued to the group, every time I open the report in design view, it tells me: I don't have the exclusive access to the database at this time, I may not be able to save them. What should I do if I want to make the change to the database. Thank you!!! Based on the message, I'm guessing that your database is but a single copy, shared by all users. This design can result in higher risk of corruption, and it makes it more difficult to do things like, say, update a report design! The preferred design is to us...

subform problem 06-12-07
Does anyone know how to make a button on the mainform delete the records showing on its subform which is in datasheet view? Thanks for the help! -- Michael Answered in Forms newsgroup. PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187F9E2A-3215-469A-927A-6652EF195306@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to make a button on the mainform delete the records > showing on its subform which is in datasheet view? Thanks for the ...

Output query to excel 08-12-07
Hi, Can anyone help me with outputing the results of a query to a particular worksheet in an Excel workbook. Using an "Output To" macro, I've managed to output my query to Excel so that it replaces the whole .xls workbook. But what I need to do is output to Sheet 1 of the .xls workbook and leave Sheet 2 intact as it will have formulas referring to Sheet 1. Thanks Bob On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:52:07 +1000, Bob wrote: > Hi, > > Can anyone help me with outputing the results of a query to a particular > worksheet in an Excel workbook. > Using an "Output...

How to delete (not disable, but DELETE) a user from the user list?
I seem to be unable to figure this out. The help seems to not use the word 'delete' in conjunction with 'user' and I cannot see a menu item to do it. Hi Keith, you can't delete users, only disable them. Mike greaterthantwo media Printable Quotes, Orders and Invoices, with line-item details, now available for MSCRM. http://www.greaterthantwo.com "Keith Dorken" <kadorken.nospam@thinkage.ca> wrote in message news:eA$PN$5%23DHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I seem to be unable to figure this out. The help seems to not use the word > 'delete'...

Adding Multiple Users Error
Good Morning, I have setup CRM 4.0 using a Windows 2003 R2 Server 32 Bit, with SQL 2005. I created the CRM OU as instructed and it seems to be working fine except for the fact that when I use the Add Multiple Users I get the following results: Users added successfully:0 Users Not Added 3, See the following erros and warnings. Error: The following user was not added: John Smith Error: The following user was not added: Tom Cashman Error: The following user was not added: Nick Jones The thing is even if I try to add one user using the Add Multiple Users Tool I get the same behavior as ...

validating XML doc with multiple schemaLocation's
I am trying to validate an XML instance document that contains elements from 2 different schema's. When I validate using .net I get the following error "Xml is invalid: The element http://api.onesource.com/abstract:group has invalid child element http://api.onesource.com/schema2:assets. Expected http://api.onesource.com/schema1:CopyrightText http://api.onesource.com/abstract:item. An error occured at ,(1,407) What is interesting is if I switch the order of the schema's in the schemaLocation I get an error on the CopyrightText element. This validates fine in XMLSpy. I have ma...

Data from multiple sheets and workbooks
Each week I receive a workbook from one of my customers. It contains mutliple sheets with salesnumbers from all the branch of my customer. Each sheet contains from 1 000 to 15 000 lines of salesdata. Every article sold gets one line in the sheets. Each workbook are named "weeknr.xls" and are stored in the same folder. Now my question/problem. I need to gather all sales info for one branch on one article from all the weeks. I know how to get the data from one workbook to another, but how do I get it to scan all the workbooks in the folder. Any ideas. Dim oFSO Sub LoopFolder...

User specific custmizations
Is there a way for each user to customize thier default views and columns shown in the views? For example: User A would like to go to the accounts section and have "my active accounts" as his default view. User B wants a custom view we have created called "active accounts ending contract" to be the default. The system admin and Managers want the default view for them to be "Active Accounts". Within these default views certains columns are wanted by User A that User B does not want. For example: User A wants address to show as a column but User B does no...

How to restrict certain users to have internal email only
Hi all, What I need to do is to configure exchange 2003 to allow only certain users to send Internet email and others only internal email. How can I go about configuring the above scenario? I only manage to allow all to send both Internet and internal email. I need to restrict certain users to send only internal email. Thanks, Boon Chye Boon- You can do this by configuring delivery restrictions on your SMTP connector. Do you have multiple routing groups? If so you're going to need multiple connectors - unrestricted ones for intraorg mail, and restricted ones for internet bound mail...

Changing 100's of users Exchange custom attributes
Under Exchange Advanced > Custom Attributes we need to change ExtensionAttribute1 on 100's of users o some thing else, is there an easy way to do this? On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:48:58 -0000, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> wrote: >Under Exchange Advanced > Custom Attributes we need to change >ExtensionAttribute1 on 100's of users o some thing else, is there an easy >way to do this? > Find and download ADMODIFY.NET and use it. There is a "Custom" tab where you enter the name of the CA you want to edit and the value you want in it. If you're tal...

Multiple instance of a system folder
Hi, I am stuck up where my Exchange server shows multiple instance of SCHEDULE+FREE BUSY system folder. It should be noted that ESM by itself shows only one instance of SCHEDULE+FREE BUSY folder !!?? It is only when i use custom search in Active Directory it show two instances of it in the First Administrative Group. How can i make sure which one is the correct and is associated with the one showing in ESM? Because of this issue my Calendar Connector service is not starting. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance, Where do you see these multiple instances? -- Ed Crowle...

Sync Outlook 07 .pst file using Groove 07
Home desktop PC has my personal email from my ISP. Using Groove 07, I would like to be able to sync my personal email to my work laptop when traveling away from home. Is there a way to change the file types that Groove blocks (.pst) from sync? You can change it in groove options but including pst files is not necessarily a good idea. For started, the file can be huge... and you need to make sure outlook is closed - if the pst is open, it won't sync. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-ti...

Changed the user logon name and know can't mail him anymore
Hi all I have exc2003STD and outlook 2003. It was requested that the logon username of one specific user changed from membercare to ABC membercare. My technician went to the exchange box > went to AD > Open the membercare users properties > Account tab > Change the account logon name there from Membercare to ABC Membercare. He said that is the only thing he changed. Now in the GAL is displayed ABC Membercare (i think he changed the display name also but that's not a issue). My problem is now if i mail that user i get the following error (Please help me to fix this as ma...

vlookup help 01-08-10
I'm using the following formula in order to look up a name in another spreadsheet that corresponds to what's in B76, and its working fine. =VLOOKUP(B76,'[2010 GR.xls]Hiring'!$E$4:$F$400,2,FALSE) However, I need a new formula to do something similar, but its not working. I need to look up the whats in B76 then go to the 2010 GR.xls file in the Hiring tab and match it with whats in column E (like above), then return the position title that's in column C. Any help would be greatly appreciated! =INDEX('[2010 GR.xls]Hiring'!$C$4:$C$7,MATCH(B76,...