MS says that all tables should live in SQL (for performance reasons)

make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com>
wrote:

>make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
>performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
>Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

"Migrating Your MS Access Database to MS SQL Server 7.0
Updated : July 19, 2001"

Just a little out of date.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
> make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

You do realize that the article is 9 years old and contains advice which may
not have been the best even then? SQL-Server 7 was quickly replaced by those
of us developers who very quickly realized how much better SQL-Server 2000
was. Since then there have been 5 versions of both Access and SQL-Server.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
4/21/2010 8:06:55 PM
"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com> wrote in
message
> make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

The article is about procedures for upsizing an Access database to a SQL
Server back-end.  The quoted passage is a caution to avoid joining linked
SQL Server tables and local Jet tables in queries, as that will be very
inefficient.  It is in no way a statement that all tables in all Access
applications should be kept in SQL server.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/21/2010 8:49:15 PM
I see you are still referencing old material... oh well.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com> wrote in
message
make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.

Gina
4/21/2010 8:51:05 PM
I think everyone here thinks SQL Server is a great product.
I think everyone here also thinks Microsoft Access is a great product.

and yes linked tables (to SQL server data) used in Access is not always the
best way to go.
Sometimes pass-thru queries are the way to go, sometimes Access is not the
right tool.

However there still are a variety of applications that can be built in
Access.

Aren't there Microsoft SQL server newsgroups you should be posting at, you
seem to
be fixated on SQL Server and how it should be used for everything?  If you
have stock
in Microsoft they make money off Microsoft Office as well as SQL Server so
no worries.

You could go after the .net developers and try and make sure they use SQL
Server or those PHP people
using MySQL.  Just a thought?

--
Mark Andrews
RPT Software

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com> wrote in
message
> make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

0
Mark
4/21/2010 10:18:19 PM
I think that linked tables are just flat out stupid stupid stupid
as is anyone who uses a product that corrupts data

most of the mental midgets around here complain about 'not having
local storage' as an option for ADP

and I just think that it's sad that people think that they're smarter
than Microsoft

On Apr 21, 3:18=A0pm, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM...@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
> I think everyone here thinks SQL Server is a great product.
> I think everyone here also thinks Microsoft Access is a great product.
>
> and yes linked tables (to SQL server data) used in Access is not always t=
he
> best way to go.
> Sometimes pass-thru queries are the way to go, sometimes Access is not th=
> right tool.
>
> However there still are a variety of applications that can be built in
> Access.
>
> Aren't there Microsoft SQL server newsgroups you should be posting at, yo=
> seem to
> be fixated on SQL Server and how it should be used for everything? =A0If =
you
> have stock
> in Microsoft they make money off Microsoft Office as well as SQL Server s=
> no worries.
>
> You could go after the .net developers and try and make sure they use SQL
> Server or those PHP people
> using MySQL. =A0Just a thought?
>
> --
> Mark Andrews
> RPT Softwarehttp://www.rptsoftware.comhttp://www.donationmanagementsoftwa=
re.com

> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote=
 in
> messagenews:2966ac44-e6f1-422f-b5e2-946bf7f8b146@n11g2000prh.googlegroups=
..com...

> > make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> > performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> > Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

ADP fucking rocks

sorry.. but it's what I believe in.

Maybe you should go and find Excel people and tell them about your
mini-sized database (that won't effectively hold 1m records - even
excel can do that)

On Apr 21, 3:18=A0pm, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM...@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
> I think everyone here thinks SQL Server is a great product.
> I think everyone here also thinks Microsoft Access is a great product.
>
> and yes linked tables (to SQL server data) used in Access is not always t=
he
> best way to go.
> Sometimes pass-thru queries are the way to go, sometimes Access is not th=
> right tool.
>
> However there still are a variety of applications that can be built in
> Access.
>
> Aren't there Microsoft SQL server newsgroups you should be posting at, yo=
> seem to
> be fixated on SQL Server and how it should be used for everything? =A0If =
you
> have stock
> in Microsoft they make money off Microsoft Office as well as SQL Server s=
> no worries.
>
> You could go after the .net developers and try and make sure they use SQL
> Server or those PHP people
> using MySQL. =A0Just a thought?
>
> --
> Mark Andrews
> RPT Softwarehttp://www.rptsoftware.comhttp://www.donationmanagementsoftwa=
re.com

> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote=
 in
> messagenews:2966ac44-e6f1-422f-b5e2-946bf7f8b146@n11g2000prh.googlegroups=
..com...

> > make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> > performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> > Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

Dirk

you're a fucking tard

this is exactly what Microsoft says: 'It is in no way a statement that
all tables in all Access
applications should be kept in SQL server. '

-Aaron

On Apr 21, 1:49=A0pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote=
 in
> messagenews:2966ac44-e6f1-422f-b5e2-946bf7f8b146@n11g2000prh.googlegroups=
..com...

> > make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> > performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> > Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx
>
> The article is about procedures for upsizing an Access database to a SQL
> Server back-end. =A0The quoted passage is a caution to avoid joining link=
ed
> SQL Server tables and local Jet tables in queries, as that will be very
> inefficient. =A0It is in no way a statement that all tables in all Access
> applications should be kept in SQL server.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips:www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

You did not address the out-of-date article you quoted, nor that you quote
out of context to support your point of view that was/is not supported by
the statements in that article.

Actually, most of those around here (whatever their mental height may be)
point out that the Access team at Microsoft recommends MDB or ACCDB wtih
linked tables as the method of choice... the Microsoft push for ADP is as
old as the out-of-date article you cite.

So you are sad about yourself... thinking that you are smarter than
Microsoft? But, how thoughtful it was of you to, once again, give us the
benefit of your superior knowledge and wisdom.

 Larry Linson

I think that linked tables are just flat out stupid stupid stupid
as is anyone who uses a product that corrupts data

most of the mental midgets around here complain about 'not having
local storage' as an option for ADP

and I just think that it's sad that people think that they're smarter
than Microsoft

On Apr 21, 3:18 pm, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM...@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
> I think everyone here thinks SQL Server is a great product.
> I think everyone here also thinks Microsoft Access is a great product.
>
> and yes linked tables (to SQL server data) used in Access is not always
> the
> best way to go.
> Sometimes pass-thru queries are the way to go, sometimes Access is not the
> right tool.
>
> However there still are a variety of applications that can be built in
> Access.
>
> Aren't there Microsoft SQL server newsgroups you should be posting at, you
> seem to
> be fixated on SQL Server and how it should be used for everything? If you
> have stock
> in Microsoft they make money off Microsoft Office as well as SQL Server so
> no worries.
>
> You could go after the .net developers and try and make sure they use SQL
> Server or those PHP people
> using MySQL. Just a thought?
>
> --
> Mark Andrews
> RPT
> Softwarehttp://www.rptsoftware.comhttp://www.donationmanagementsoftware.com
>
> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote
> in
> messagenews:2966ac44-e6f1-422f-b5e2-946bf7f8b146@n11g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
>
> > make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> > performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> > Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

0
Larry
4/24/2010 4:47:14 AM
OUT OF DATE?

SQL SERVER HAS ALWAYS BEEN SUPERIOR, KID

TIRED OF CRASHING? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
TIRED OF LINKING? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
TIRED OF CORRUPTION? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
TIRED OF DATASILOITIS? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP

On Apr 23, 9:47=A0pm, "Larry Linson" <boun...@localhost.not> wrote:
> [...]
..com

> > "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wro=
te
> > in
> > messagenews:2966ac44-e6f1-422f-b5e2-946bf7f8b146@n11g2000prh.googlegrou=
ps.com...

> > > make sure that all Access tables get moved to SQL Server to increase
> > > performance. Creating queries against a mix of Access (Jet) and SQL
> > > Server using linked tables can be very resource-intensive.
>
> > >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917601.aspx

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com> wrote

  > OUT OF DATE?

  > SQL SERVER HAS ALWAYS BEEN SUPERIOR, KID

  > TIRED OF CRASHING? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
  > TIRED OF LINKING? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
  > TIRED OF CORRUPTION? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP
  > TIRED OF DATASILOITIS? MOVE TO SQL SERVER / ADP

There are many occasions when it is appropriate to store one's data in a
Server database, just as there are many (equally or more) occasions when it
is appropropriate to store one's data in a Jet or ACE database.  Intelligent
DBAs and developers have no difficulty determining which they should use.

SQL Server is a good server database; so are many other server databases.
ADP is no longer recommended by the Access team at Redmond as the front-end
of choice for SQL Server. Instead they recommend using MDB or ACCDB and
linking to the SQL Server database via ODBC, which approach will also work
nicely for those organizations which have chosen some other ODBC-compliant
database as their corporate or company standard.

The citation has been posted here many times. Shouting by typing all caps
does not make your claims valid.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry
4/26/2010 1:39:13 AM
"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in

> The citation has been posted here many times. Shouting by typing
> all caps does not make your claims valid.

It seems to work for the Republicans in Congress.

David

How to make Windows Live Photo Gallery default?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB0009.FE96EA40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How can I in Win7 and Windows Live Mail the Windows Live Photo Gallery = the default for attaching photos, rather than My Documents/My Pictures? ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB0009.FE96EA40 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD&g...

MS Access Table Design Look Up???
I am trying to design a budget database and I want to have consistent categories and expense. I have a table with Category and Expense It looks something like this: Category Expense Overhead Electrcity Overhead Internet Employee Salary Employee Commision I want to creat another table where the entires will be made but want to force these categories. I can get one colum to appear in the table Example Internet but I can't see in the table what category it rolls up to, I see it when I choose the expense but not after. Is there a way to populate this ...

Dynamic GP 9.0 and SQL 2005 SP3
Hello i have my server with Dynamic GP 9.0 SP2 with Sql 2005 Sp2 and work fine. but i Need upgrate to sql 2005 SP3. after intall did work my dynamic Gp 9.0? Thanks Assuming what you are saying is that your GP 9 does not work after applying SQL Server Service Pack 3, then you should check that your ODBC connections have not changed. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "elvis" wrote: > Hello > i ...

Just one more table to link!!!!!!
-- Kate Hulit Asyma Systems Inc. I can help you but need more details. Can you email me the report at staceyleelee@hotmail.com "Kate Hulit" wrote: > > -- > Kate Hulit > Asyma Systems Inc. If you are trying to link tables to a report and are finding it difficult to create the relationship, you can always use VBA if you are registered for Modifier & VBA to read the data directly from SQL. Just a thought. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Micorosoft Dynamics (form...

Setting up multiple accounts in Wndows live mail
I set up two accounts and I received messages from both accounts in to the default account. What do I need to correct? Do you mean that messages for both accounts are populating the same Inbox folder? If so, create another folder called Inbox2, for example, and then create a rule to move one of the account's messages in to it. "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE09688-A477-4AE8-BA74-5B7104BF951C@microsoft.com... > I set up two accounts and I received messages from both accounts in to the > default account. > What do I n...

How can I check whether the data is in the table or not with VBA?
Hi, Hope someone have quick answer to my question. I have a table call "IssueTable". I want to code to find out whether the user inputed informaiton is in the IssueTable before user enter it in the table. I don't want to duplicate the issue in the issuetable. Therefore, I want to check it before I enter it as new item. In the Usertable, there is the Authrization# field and if user enter part of Authrization#, I want the code to check if the User input is in the Issue Table. Thanks Use DLookup(). For examples, see: Getting a value from a table: DL...

sum in two tables to calculate QOH
The following is the scenario stock _ in table Id item_no pcs 1 1 10 2 2 30 3 1 22 stock_out_table Id item_no pcs 1 1 6 2 2 12 3 1 6 So the Query result should show or the Qty on hand should show this result. ItemNum QOH 1 20 2 1 can you help me with an apt. query. I tried using select t1.itemnum,sum(t1.pcs-t2.pcs) from t1,t2 where t1.ite...

is there a "File name" function in ms Excel (2002)
Hi Anyone know of any msExcel function that will give the name of the current file? To be honest I want if for printout purposes because I am trying to avoid the custom header etc (which seems difficult/impossible to format) Shiphen Shiperton Henethe One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) can be put in any cell if you want the full path =SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",...

Live Login Issues w/Plus Deluxe + HTTP 500 on moneycentral
System Info: MS Money Plus Deluxe version 17.0.120.1415 + IE7 + Charter Security Suite (F-Secure) + XP SP3 Past: I've been using this Money version for about a year and suddenly started having issues with logon. Symptoms: Sign in information cannot be verified. HTTP 500 on moneycentral.msn.com I have been having problems since 8/30. I'm about to draw the conclusion that this isn't related to Money but some setting buried in IE7. I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I have tried: Repairing my money file Removing my the association of my live password to the fi...

Bank of America/MBNA Merge
BOA bought MBNA, and now my CC information is on a BOA website. However, when I try and add these credentials to a new "Bank of America (All except CA, WA, & ID)" Credit Card account in Money, I get an error. Anybody know what steps I need to go through to allow me to be able to download transactions? I just called them up yesterday, and was told that similar to MBNA, you can export credit card transactions from the website, but not directly from Money, which is why it won't take your password. If you have other accounts at BOA, then you can link those directly i...

pivot table perhaps?
I have a spreadsheet, and it has gotten very long; i keep redoing the TOTALS row, to be at the bottom, but it takes a long time to scroll down! Can you make it so that it is always on the screen somewhere? Also, i set up auto-filters so that I can view my totals by salesperson, but it won't display that particular saleperson's subtotals when filtered. Is there a simple way to show this? Thanks so much Hi A couple of suggestions. Have your TOTALS in a row at the top of the page - which is the way most people get round this problem. You could use the SUBTOTAL() function for your se...

Writing back to POP tables through SQL
Hello, Does anyone have experience, or know if there is an acceptable way to update POP10100 and POP10110 through a backend process? I'm working on a B2B (RosettaNet) integration with our GPS8.0 system. I have it pulling out new POs and sending them to one of our vendors but I need the ability to update them when I get a confirmation back from the vendor. I've been looking for a way to do this using third party tools but I haven't found anyone that let's me write to the PO tables. They usually just let me read. I'd like to just do a simple SQL update but I'v...

Creating new table columns and maintaining joins in another query
Hi, I have a table with alot of account information. However, to report on certain accounts, I have to manipulate a few of the column data and create a new column with the correct information. Once I have this new column, I do another query and get the information that I need out of that new column. The problem is when I'm querying from that new column, I'm join'ing that information to another column of information and it works the way I want it to work. But when I get more data, I have to run the original script that manipulates the data and creates a new column, agai...

Restrictions on Tables
Is it possible to do a lot of restrictions in MS Access tables? If it is, where can i do these restrictions? On Apr 10, 10:06 am, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Yes. > > What kind of restrictions would you want to do? > > If you tell what you want to do then maybe someone can answer the question. > > -- > KARL DEWEY > Build a little - Test a little > > > > "emerl...@shaw.ca" wrote: > > Is it possible to do a lot of restrictions in MS Access tables? If it > > is, where can i do these restrictions?-...

Microsoft Access Table Record Limitation
Hi, is there a limit to how may rows an access table can have before it performs poorly? "mark" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:OGxT6vdgKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, is there a limit to how may rows an access table can have before it > performs poorly? > > --- > frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.access/ That's depends upon the type and quality of indexes, as well as other factors. I have a database front-end that connects to a 1.1 GB backend with 6 million records. By using the primary key, I can pull 1 record ...

Keyword search across multiple tables
Hi everybody, I am an Access newbie. I THINK this can be done. I would like to have a search box on a form where a user can enter text and click a "Search" button. Clicking the search button will a) run a multiple table query (on a single field in each table) and b) display the results of this query in a report for the user to view. I basically need to conduct a multi-table query with the criteria equal to the text that the user enters in the text box, and display the results in a report. Is this do-able? Or am I delusional? Thanks, Monsters! TJ -- Messag...

MS Publisher conversion to full display in an email
Hi, how would I go about in converting a MS Publisher document into a format where I would be able to have it appear NOT as an attachment (embedded icon) in an email, but rather have the Publisher document appear as if it has already been opened. In other words, I want the Publisher document displayed in the email w/o the need for the viewer to click on an attachment icon. Appreciate any input. On Sep 8, 12:27 pm, "haksback75" <u37274@uwe> wrote: > Appreciate any input. Since it's been several hours... and since this group is regularly monitored by GURUS of MSPUB, m...

Macro Performance
I currently import 40,000+ records a day to my database and then seperate these into business units by running approx 30 append and update queries (I Append the records to a new table before updating a report field with the business unit name). I have put the import and the append / update queries into 1 macro which i run everyday but this is taking up to 15 minutes. It would be quicker for me to press the append and the corresponding update query (This would take about 5 minutes) Is there a way of improving my macro's performance? Is there something else happening in your mac...

Table of contents from Named ranges?
Just a quickie. Is it possible to construct a table of contents from named ranges? I have a spreadsheet with suppliers names and then their products. As i get new suppliers, they get inserted into the list. This list now stands at 124 pages long. Obviously when i insert a new supplier, the list becomes incorrect. I know that i can do this sort of thing with Word, but it doesn't seem to import into Word at all well. I have named the cell with the suppliers name, so that i have 43 named areas. I need to construct a simple table of contents with suppliers name..........page 43 next suppl...

New Related Tables Records
Concerning my forms, I have buttons that will open a second form with information related to the record on the first form. For example, on a contact record, one might push the "Letters" button and see the letters sent to the contact in the past. I have navigational buttons on the form as well. However, when the 'New Record" button is pushed, it is necesary to select the contact again. How can I program the new record button to create a new record with the contact already filled out? The contact field in the related table is actually the id, but displays the company name ins...

Error message when using Pivot Table
I get an error message when I try to manipulate a very large Pivot Table. The message says "Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row or column field off the PivotTable or to the page position. Alternatively, right click a field and then click Hide or Hide levels on the shortcut menu." I can't even figure out how to execute the remedies in the error message! I can manipulate other Pivot Tables from other ss just fine. And my colleagues have no trouble with this particular very large Pivot Table--just me. Is this a...

Filtering a table does not work
I'm trying to help someone out who is using tables linked to a sequel server database in Access. There are multiple tables set up the exact same way that are acting differently in Access. On two of the tables, when she tries to filter a text field by a selection, it does not filter anything. It does the same thing when trying to enter a criteria in a query on the table. It yields all the results. But, in other tables with the same text field the filtering works great. So far I've tried a compact and repair which did nothing and I'm at a complete loss of what else to try. Any sugge...

Cannot edit field in a joined table-subquery query
Hi all! I need help creating a query that allows me to edit a field on the grid. I'm in query design view and I import the table ORDERS and the query QRY_SUMOF_ORDERDETAILS as a subquery. I joined the PK of table with the FK of subquery. The field I would like to edit is Comment, located on the one-side of the relation. The many-side is the subquery (QRY_SUMOF_ORDERDETAILS), which is just a query that groups and sums the related (many-side) records of the table ORDERDETAILS. The final result of this subquery is one record per each ORDER. I want to be able to edit the Comment field...

temp tables logged?
I was looking at an article that says: ******************************** A side note: Using transient permanent tables for temporary data is never a good idea. Permanent tables require writes to the transaction log, which incur a performance hit. *********************************** Don't inserts, updates and deletes to temp tables access the log as well? Thanks, Tom tshad (t@dslextreme.com) writes: > I was looking at an article that says: > ******************************** > A side note: Using transient permanent tables for temporary data is > never a g...

Charting table data beginning with zero
I have a large mailling list table in Word. I am trying to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel first and then converting. This seems to work very well except for the Postal Code column. When the postal codes begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the pasting operation and will not accept it even if I manually record it. I tried going into tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and off) but this doesn't seem to help. Any help is tre...