MS Access & Citrix - query design form problems

Hi, all.  We have a home-grown Access application that approximately
50 users use to access different, but related, databases on different
Linux servers across the US.  We are trying to combine all these
different databases into one database that everyone can access through
a Citrix server.  In the initial (very) testing phase, we have found
some strange problems with our Access app that may be related to the
programming within the application or may be related to the Citrix
side of things (although when we try to do an analagous task going
just through Access itself we don't have the same problems. (Using
Access 2002 & Citrix Metaframe Program Neighborhood 9.150.39151.  I
apologize in advance that I'm the Access app side of the team so if
you ask me anything about the Citrix setup, I'll have to go and ask
the other side for help.)

Here's the main show stopper we have found so far:  The user specified
a particular table to use as the basis for a query and then clicks a
"Build Query" button.  A bunch of parameters are checked to make sure
the user has completed the form and then these two lines are run:
    DoCmd.OpenQuery strQueryFullName, acViewDesign, acEdit
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDesignView

When these commands are run in the "normal" application, the regular
query design form shows up with the table showing in the top portion
of the screen and the columns with rows for Field, Table, Sort, Show,
Criteria, or ready to accept criteria for the query.  BUT when we run
the same procedure through a Citrix server, the initial query design
form shows up with practically nothing except some scroll bars.  I can
enlarge the form and drag parts of it around so that I can see the
section where the table goes and the section where the criteria
columns go BUT no table shows and the column criteria section just
shows the names of the rows Field, Table, Sort, etc.).  If I exit from
the query design form and then click the "Build Query" button again,
then I see the table itself BUT the criteria columns still don't
show.  I can add fields to the query but can't specify sorting,
criteria, show, etc.  When I try to go to SQL view (thinking that I
could enter the criteria there), I see a totally blank screen.

As I said before, when we just start Access through the Citrix server
and go to Query Design, it shows up perfectly.

I certainly hope that someone can give me an idea of what I should
look at to try to fix that.  Otherwise, we may be dead in the water.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Carol.
0
CP
11/20/2007 7:12:18 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

There are a couple of things here.
a) is this database only opened by one person? i.e. Is it locked by
someone else. or do you have it in exclusive mode? (which is required
to make database object changes
b) get the citrix team to allow you to connect via remote desktop,
(i.e. using mstsc) and test the app that way, this will help eliminate
the Citrix being the problem (Remote Desktop allows full view of the
desktop, citrix, just views the application it self.

do you get any error messages when it runs the code? are you trapping
for errors that might be helpful?
Can you post the entire code to modify the query in this newsgroup.

Sorry to ask more questions, and not have any useful suggestions, but
this may help us determine where the cause lay.

Kind Regards
Anthony Moore

IT Excellence

0
Anthos
11/21/2007 11:00:17 AM
Hi, Anthony.  I definitely don't mind questions...

When I run the application through Remote Desktop, I don't have the
problem.  And I just found out that when going through Citrix, our app
is started with a batch file.  Here's the text of that file:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /Runtime /
Nostartup E:\HOMEDIRS\%username%\CLSToolkit.mdb

I copied the batch file, edited it to go to the correct directory
(i.e. changed "%username" to my subdirectory), took out the "/Runtime"
parameter and, voila, NO PROBLEM!

As I said earlier, I'm not the Citrix side of the team so I don't know
exactly why /Runtime is there in the first place.  (And unfortunately
he is not too accessible today.)  I do know that we sent the Citrix
folks a regular Office2002 installation disk that they used to install
one copy of Access which all users will be using (when we get the bugs
fixed).  Is that possible and/or what are the trouble spots?

I don't know enough about the differences between the regular Access
2002 and run-time Access 2002 to be aware of the differences and
limitations.

Again, thanks for any help/ideas that anyone has.  Carol.

On Nov 21, 6:00 am, Anthos <anth...@itexcellence.com.au> wrote:
> There are a couple of things here.
> a) is this database only opened by one person? i.e. Is it locked by
> someone else. or do you have it in exclusive mode? (which is required
> to make database object changes
> b) get the citrix team to allow you to connect via remote desktop,
> (i.e. using mstsc) and test the app that way, this will help eliminate
> the Citrix being the problem (Remote Desktop allows full view of the
> desktop, citrix, just views the application it self.
>
> do you get any error messages when it runs the code? are you trapping
> for errors that might be helpful?
> Can you post the entire code to modify thequeryin this newsgroup.
>
> Sorry to ask more questions, and not have any useful suggestions, but
> this may help us determine where the cause lay.
>
> Kind Regards
> Anthony Moore
>
> IT Excellence

0
CP
11/21/2007 2:12:53 PM
CP wrote:
> Hi, Anthony.  I definitely don't mind questions...
>
> When I run the application through Remote Desktop, I don't have the
> problem.  And I just found out that when going through Citrix, our app
> is started with a batch file.  Here's the text of that file:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /Runtime /
> Nostartup E:\HOMEDIRS\%username%\CLSToolkit.mdb

There you go... "/Runtime" means no design capability.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
11/21/2007 2:14:05 PM
As Rick has pointed out.
A Runtime version of Access only allows you to view the database, and
make date entry modifications.

The act of going into Query Designer, is actually, a object design
view, which isn't possible to do in Runtime.

The batch file does the following.
Opens MS Access in Runtime mode, and with the NoStartup Flag as well
(which prevents the autoexec macro from running, possibly another
issue you may come across)

Glad that you got to the bottom of the issue though.
0
Anthos
11/21/2007 3:22:18 PM
Thanks to you both.  That explains a lot.  Now we just have to find
out if 50 users (who ALL have regular Access installed on their own
computers) can run one copy of Access on the Citrix server without
experiencing major performance problems...cross your fingers for us.

Thanks again.

Carol.

On Nov 21, 10:22 am, Anthos <anth...@itexcellence.com.au> wrote:

> As Rick has pointed out.
> A Runtime version of Access only allows you to view the database, and
> make date entry modifications.
>
> The act of going intoQueryDesigner, is actually, a object design
> view, which isn't possible to do in Runtime.
>
> The batch file does the following.
> Opens MS Access in Runtime mode, and with the NoStartup Flag as well
> (which prevents the autoexec macro from running, possibly another
> issue you may come across)
>
> Glad that you got to the bottom of the issue though.

0
CP
11/21/2007 4:25:14 PM
CP wrote:
> Thanks to you both.  That explains a lot.  Now we just have to find
> out if 50 users (who ALL have regular Access installed on their own
> computers) can run one copy of Access on the Citrix server without
> experiencing major performance problems...cross your fingers for us.

That is how terminal server is supposed to work.  It requires no more resources
to run "regular" Access than it does to run the runtime.  It is in fact exactly
the same program.  The latter is just crippled by lots of registry entries to
prevent design functionality.

One big difference is that if you use the full version on the server then each
user DOES have to hold a valid license for Access.  When using the runtime that
is not the case.  Mind you having the full version installed and just using the
/Runtime switch would not absolve your users from having Access licenses.  For
that you would actually need to install Access as a runtime application with the
developer's tools that you had acquired.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Rick

Stencils for RF & Wireless Design
Greetings: I looked through the GoogleGroups Help and did not see anything about not promoting a product for sale here, so I would like to mention that I have created very extensive collections of RF, microwave, wireless, and general electronics shapes for both Visio and Word. The entire set sell for $15 (either Visio or Word version). If you are interested, please visit my RF Cafe website at http://www.rfcafe.com and click on the little icons on the left side of the page. If you happen to be interested in RF engineering topics, then you will probably also appreciate all the resources avail...

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

Invoice Designer #3
I'm running Money Small Business 2004. I have gone into the invoice designer section of the program, and created an invoice template that I wish to use to print out my invoices. However I cannot find any way of getting the invoices created within Money to print out in this format. Is there any way to save this template so that it overwrites the standard invoice template which is quite unsuitable for my requirements (or is there some other way of getting the layout that I want?). None of the the help files within the program, the on-line Money 2004 manual or the web-based help files s...

MS Office 2008 home version with Pro for entourage
Hello and thanks for any help you can provide. I have MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. I want to install only word, excel and powerpoint and then separately install Entourage 2008 Pro (as provided by my hosted exchange co.) in order to connect to my exchange server. I have done this before and remember some convoluted errors but it eventually worked. My latest attempt did not. Has there been a change to prevent this from working? ...

Problem with protecting sheet
I have a spreadsheet (a company timesheet) that i do not want peopl editing the code on. I only want them to be putting in the hours tha they have worked for the particular payperiod, it all works fine but have one problem. If the sheet is protected yet i have the columns unlocked where the can type, when they do a ctrl-x (cut) and then past it somewhere else it moves the black outlining on the cells, the problem with this i that when they try to re-color the cells it gets a protection erro where it wont allow them to put the outline back on the cells. Is their a way to make it so they can ...

Quicken file conversion problems
I'm trying to test out the new 2004 by importing my quicken file throught the initial Wizard. Only problem it I get the following error message: Your Quicken file could not be converted. Money could not convert your Quicken file. You might have run out of disk space or system memory. Try closing other programs and making sure the disk you are copying your file to has enough space. Then try converting the file again. Can anyone help? TIA In microsoft.public.money, Scott wrote: >I'm trying to test out the new 2004 by importing my >quicken file throught the initial Wiz...

Visio 2003 standard Servicepack1 problems
Hi. I am trying to update my Visio 2003 standard Dutch via the Microsoft update service. At the end of the upgrade to SP1, there is a message that the update did not work OK, but without any extra explanation why. When I download the SP1 update manually and try to install it, the update software claims that (in Dutch) "the software is already installed, of is a part of another update that is installed". However, the version in my Visio 2003 is still a non SP1 version. Does anyone have a clue for me about how to actually upgrade to SP1? Thanks, Arnold ...

Filter driver installation problem! 01-06-10
Hi, I developed a disk low filter driver and want to load this driver at Windows setup procedure, I don't know how to do that? It seems only using INF file does not work? Any suggestion? thanks. Best Regards, Perer, By Windows setup, do you mean install of Windows? If so look at http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=264 this covers the subject for XP and 2003. For later OS'es get the WAIK http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2 and start digging. -- Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD) Windows F...

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

An Outlook 2003 Problem

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

Filling Web Form
Dear freinds Hello, I have written code in vc++ using MFC to fill the Webform using HTTP post method and I'm able to fill the form but I'm facing a problem that I'm unable to fill login name and password. So any one amongst you have any Idea or help then please help me With Regards Sachin ...

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

Add new record through Form view
I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command button which will add a new record to my table. On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table in a form. On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:11:01 -0800, Ranjith Kurian <RanjithKurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command >button which will add a new record to my table. >On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table >in a form. The Click event should show [Event Proced...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Uninstalled Word 2004 test drive
I installed the "Test Drive" version of Microsoft Word 2004 on my ibook, G2, 500 mhz, machine. I am running Panther. After trying it for a couple days and becoming very frustrated with the program I followed all directions to remove the program ... I removed only the 2004 version. After uninstalling I could not automatically open any of my word documents. I never "created" any using the test drive, but I can�t open any of my documents created on my Word X version. Trying to open these documents I received an error message: "The operation could not be completed....

checkbox as query criteria
Hi, in an Access form i've put a combo box that has a query as data source. On this form I'd like to add a check box that, when it is selected, adds the "is not null" criteria on a query field. There is a simple way to do this? Thank you very much for help. -- Remigio www.sacraspina.it www.amicitosondoro.it www.icmonteodorisio.it www.parrocchiacupello.it www.cralnuovainiziativa.it www.associazionehistonium.it On Sat, 1 May 2010 05:55:14 -0700 (PDT), remigio <linoreale@gmail.com> wrote: Create two queries. Then switch between them based on your n...

Querying multiple records in two tables