Mail Merge Says "locked file"

Hello,

I have a mail merge template in Word that I've been using with
Access.  Now I'm trying to automate it.  I have seen the suggestions
for code from Albert Kallal and Ken Sheridan, but I already developed
my own form with the thought I could just open the merge file with
simple code on a button.  The problem is, I get an error message when
the Word file opens using the button, saying that the data file cannot
be locked because it's in use by 'Admin' (me).  I tried splitting the
database (figuring if multiple users can access it at once, then
applications could too) but I get the same error.

Does anyone know if there's a setting I can change to get around
this?  If not, I will use the MVPs' code I mentioned above, but it
will take me a long time because I'm such a newb to coding and it
might be better to just do it manually.

Thanks,
Dara
0
rocketD
12/11/2009 7:20:37 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Publisher 2002 locked file
I've a 12 user network running Publisher 2002 on Xp Pro PC's and a 2003 Server. When one user opens a document none of the others can open the same shared file on the network. It says that the file is locked because another program is using it. Can't find any reference to this message in the Knowledge Base or anywhere else. Don't have this problem with sharing Word or Excel files as these give the user the option to open the file read only, which is fine. Are there any reasons or restrictions in Publisher that may be causing this problem? As a work-around I can save th...

Mail Merge Says "locked file"
Hello, I have a mail merge template in Word that I've been using with Access. Now I'm trying to automate it. I have seen the suggestions for code from Albert Kallal and Ken Sheridan, but I already developed my own form with the thought I could just open the merge file with simple code on a button. The problem is, I get an error message when the Word file opens using the button, saying that the data file cannot be locked because it's in use by 'Admin' (me). I tried splitting the database (figuring if multiple users can access it at once, then applications coul...

locked file
i am writing to a cd-rw but when I open the file from the cd it is locked..? any idea why audit Any file written to a CD becomes read-only. This is a Windows OS thing, not Excel alone. Open Windows Explorer, find the file and uncheck "read-only". WORDS OF CAUTION!!!!!! Saving to and opening from removable storage should be avoided to lessen the chance of file corruption. If it hasn't happened yet you have been fortunate. Save files to HD then copy to disk. Also copy back to disk before attempting to open files. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:52:14 -0800...

locked file problem
Hi, Excel 2003. File on server 2003. Shared file. Occasionally the file loses its brains and thinks it's in use by a user who isn't in it. Then other users can't get in it. Is there a fast way to fix this without rebooting my server? (which does fix it) Thanks! --Randy Starkey Rebooting a server is an awfully strong solution. Try looking for a file with almost the same name, starting though with a ~ or ~$ replacing the first few characters. Look in the folder that the file is opened from. Delete that ~ file. You might have to set the Windows Explorer to view ...

Publisher 2002 locked file #2
I've a 12 user network running Publisher 2002 on Xp Pro PC's and a 2003 Server. When one user opens a document none of the others can open the same shared file on the network. It says that the file is locked because another program is using it. Can't find any reference to this message in the Knowledge Base or anywhere else. Don't have this problem with sharing Word or Excel files as these give the user the option to open the file read only, which is fine. Are there any reasons or restrictions in Publisher that may be causing this problem? As a work-around I can save th...

removing predefined locked fileds
do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fileds from some forms (like address fileds in the Order form) ? On Feb 4, 1:05 am, "eliran" <eliran...@gmail.com> wrote: > do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fields > from some forms (like address fields in the Order form) ? You can't remove, but can hide them using onLoad event script like this: crmForm.all.ordernumber_c.style.display="none"; crmForm.all.ordernumber_d.style.display="none"; If there are a lot of fields, that you want to hide, you can p...

Opening and Reading the locked files #2
Hi I need to backup some of the exclusive locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. What flags shall I CreateFile to open the locked File for backup In the below code I can atleast open the file but any changes to it are denied. HANDLE hfile = CreateFile(strFilename, READ_CONTROL, 0, 0,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, 0 ); Now this open's the file but ReadFile and BackupRead Fails. ReadFIles fails with exception CreateFile Failed : Access Denied. But I have a v...

Outlook 2007 "Blocked File Type" Error
I have 50 identical HP dc7900 workstations running XP Pro SP3 and Office 2007 Professional SP2 on domain. All 50 have the following Office 2007 .adm files added in the c:\windows\inf folder: excel12.adm, office12.adm, outlk12.adm, word12.adm, ppt12.adm. All 5 of these .adm templates have been added under "User Configuration / Administrative Templates" in gpedit.msc. I am using the Word, Excel & PowerPoint .adm files to "block the saving of .xml file types". While no such policy setting exists for Outlook 2007, when users close out of Outlook, the following...

Opening and Reading the locked files
Hi I need to backup some of the locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. ...

Locked file
I am using Microsoft Publisher 2000 on a peer-to-peer network of 4 computers with Windows XP. When trying to open a file from another computer, I have suddenly begun receiving an error message saying that path/filename cannot be opened because it is currently being used by another program. It then tells me to quit the program and try again. I have done that numerous times and rebooted both computers and I still get the same error message. It only happens with certain files. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! On 29 Apr 2004 10:14, "Elwood" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Locked files
My app uses DBF files. When another user on the network wants to open the same DBF in Excel, he gets a "ABC.dbf is locked for editing by 'another user'". Is there a way to open the DBF such that Excel can report the actual user name? BTW, where does Excel store this lock info? Thanks, Jim what i did was, the file i was trying to open was an excel sheet. in the auto open i had excel write the name of the computer that open it. so when i open it as read only, i could go to the spot and see who had it open. -- Ray "Jim" <nospam@nospam> wrote in mes...

Releasing locked files for backup
Hello all, My customer users Great Plains and was installed onto Windows Server 2003. I did not do this, was done by Great Plains consulting firm that is very expensive. I'm using an online backup solution for this client. I'm unable to backup the following files: D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSDYNAMICSDat.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSDYNAMICSLog.ldf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSTFCDat.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSTFCLog.ldf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf D:\Appl...

Blocked Files
Hello *************************** By default, Microsoft Outlook blocks attachment files ( such as .bat, .exe, .vbs, and .js) that can contain viruses. You cannot see or access the attachments. Your Inbox will display the paperclip icon in the Attachment column to let you know that the message has an attachment, and you will see a list of the blocked attachment files in the InfoBar at the top of your message. If you try to open the attachment by right- clicking the item, View Attachments will not appear on the shortcut menu. **************************** Is there any way to turn thi...

Opening and Reading the locked files #3
Hi I need to backup some of the exclusive locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. What flags shall I CreateFile to open the locked File for backup In the below code I can atleast open the file but any changes to it are denied. HANDLE hfile = CreateFile(strFilename, READ_CONTROL, 0, 0,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, 0 ); Now this open's the file but ReadFile and BackupRead Fails. ReadFIles fails with exception CreateFile Failed : Access Denied. But I have a v...

Linking locked files ...?
XL2Ksp3 Can I link files within the same folder, when (after) they are both workbook and worksheet protected? ...

blocked file format
I am using a procedure that saves password-protected a 2007 excel file to a folder. when I try to open it I get the message: "excel cannot open the file because the file format or file extention is not valid,,," I was told that making the folder a "trusted location" will prevent file format blocking but that doesn't seem to work either. Nor does changing to other 2007 extensions, including xlsb. anyone have any ideas? -- stan In which format (extension) your procedure is saving the excel file? In *.XLS, *.XLSX, *.XLSM Or *.XLSB? At the sa...

need to release locked files for backup
Hello all, My customer users Great Plains and was installed onto Windows Server 2003. I did not do this, was done by Great Plains consulting firm that is very expensive. I'm using an online backup solution for this client. I'm unable to backup the following files: D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSDYNAMICSDat.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSDYNAMICSLog.ldf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSTFCDat.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\GPSTFCLog.ldf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf D:\Application data\GPMSDE\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf D:\A...

Locked File #2
I am using Microsoft Publisher on a computer that is on a network. I was working on a file and making changes to a file that was saved on the network. As I was working the computer froze up and shut down. Now I cannot get into that file. The error reads: The file is locked because it is currently being used by another program. Please close the other program and try opening or importing the file again. I cannot find where the file is open. I can't open the file from other computers on the network. The original file was on a different hard drive then the computer I was using to make the chan...

Opening and Reading the locked files #4
Hi I need to backup some of the exclusive locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. What flags shall I CreateFile to open the locked File for backup In the below code I can atleast open the file but any changes to it are denied. HANDLE hfile = CreateFile(strFilename, READ_CONTROL, 0, 0,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, 0 ); Now this open's the file but ReadFile and BackupRead Fails. ReadFIles fails with exception CreateFile Failed : Access Denied. But I have a v...

Access blocked files
I received and email and it has an attachment, but I cannot access it. There is a message: "Outlook has blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachements:" Does anyone know how I can access the attachment? Thanks! Dale See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm for ways to get the attachments off. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm If you use OE, hit forward on a message or disable it in tools | options | security. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 i...