Hi all, I have a question regarding the loading speed of forms.

I have about 6 forms in my database, each is loaded with lot of
controls and VBA driven action that calls numerous queries. So as
expected, they do take a while to load, 10 - 30 seconds. For some
remote desktop users, it usually take even longer. These forms,
however, do not have any onLoad. procedures. All the code are in click
of buttons of afterUpdate of dropdown menu and others.

The interesting thing is, these form load much much faster (3 secs)
when one form opens the next, instead of manually open it from the
database window. Is there any explanation for this? And is there any
way to reduce the load time in general? Would it help to clear memory
after every action (how do I do that too)? But since there are many
users accessing this db at the same time and via a central terminal
server, it might not be a good idea to clear the server's memory (I'm
I right?).

I desperately need to reduce this annoying loading time. Please help.

Any comment or suggestions will be greatly valued. Thanks All.

0
nxqviet
4/9/2007 4:58:09 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

I would reccomend

a) write tighter WHERE clauses, and less columns if possible
b) using Access Data Projects
c) 'index tuning wizard' or 'database tuning advisor'

MDB doesn't have the capability to run profiler; so I believe that MDB
is a complete and utter waste of time

-Aaron

On Apr 9, 9:58 am, "nxqviet" <nxqv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I have a question regarding the loading speed of forms.
>
> I have about 6 forms in my database, each is loaded with lot of
> controls and VBA driven action that calls numerous queries. So as
> expected, they do take a while to load, 10 - 30 seconds. For some
> remote desktop users, it usually take even longer. These forms,
> however, do not have any onLoad. procedures. All the code are in click
> of buttons of afterUpdate of dropdown menu and others.
>
> The interesting thing is, these form load much much faster (3 secs)
> when one form opens the next, instead of manually open it from the
> database window. Is there any explanation for this? And is there any
> way to reduce the load time in general? Would it help to clear memory
> after every action (how do I do that too)? But since there are many
> users accessing this db at the same time and via a central terminal
> server, it might not be a good idea to clear the server's memory (I'm
> I right?).
>
> I desperately need to reduce this annoying loading time. Please help.
>
> Any comment or suggestions will be greatly valued. Thanks All.

0
aaron
4/9/2007 6:03:25 PM
"nxqviet" <nxqviet@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have about 6 forms in my database, each is loaded with lot of
>controls and VBA driven action that calls numerous queries. So as
>expected, they do take a while to load, 10 - 30 seconds. For some
>remote desktop users, it usually take even longer. These forms,
>however, do not have any onLoad. procedures. All the code are in click
>of buttons of afterUpdate of dropdown menu and others.
>
>The interesting thing is, these form load much much faster (3 secs)
>when one form opens the next, instead of manually open it from the
>database window. Is there any explanation for this?

Yes, this is the problem where a second user it experience severe performance
problems.   A persistent connection of some sort solves this problem.  An example
would be keeping one form always open at all times.

>And is there any
>way to reduce the load time in general?

The three most common performance problems in Access 2000 or newer are:
  - LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection or an always open bound form
corrects (multiple users)
  - sub datasheet Name property set to [Auto] should be [None]
  - Track name AutoCorrect should be off

If the problem is for everyone when starting up the MDB then it likely needs a
decompile.

For more information on these, less likely causes, other tips and links to MS KB
articles visit my Access Performance FAQ page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

>Would it help to clear memory
>after every action (how do I do that too)? But since there are many
>users accessing this db at the same time and via a central terminal
>server, it might not be a good idea to clear the server's memory (I'm
>I right?).

No idea what you mean by this.  And I suspect you might not know either.  <smile>

You have split the MDB in a front end and back end are giving each user their own
copy of the FE MDB/MDE, right?  If you have then ignore my standard blurb which
follows.

You want to split the MDB into a front end containing the queries, forms, reports,
macros and modules with just the tables and relationships.  The FE is copied to each
network users computer.   The FE MDB is linked to the tables in the back end MDB
which resides on a server.    You make updates to the FE MDB and distribute them to
the users, likely as an MDE.

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info.  See the Auto FE Updater
downloads page http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm to make this relatively
painless..   The utility also supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite nicely.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Help with formula #31
I'm sure there is a way to modify this formula but have no idea.I'd like for it to do this: =IF(A30="","",SUM(C3:C25)*ROUNDUP(Worksheet2!G3/G1,0)) which is fine. But if Worksheet2!G3 has more than whats in G1 then MINUS Sum(C3:C12) to the above formula. Example: Worksheet2!G3 has the total Qty. Sheet1 has a number in it (25) For every 25 this formula is dividing Worksheet2!G3 by 25. I want it to divide only once, then Do formula Minus Sum(C3:C12) as many times as G1 will go into it. Thanks in advance!!! ...

Help filling in form from 2 different tables
I have two tables, CustomerData and EmployeeData. CustomerData has all the address, phn, name, empid# of last employee to help em and custid (primary key) and employeedata has name addr phn and empid (primarykey) I have a combo box that pulls up custdata (by Custid sorting by Lastname & ", " & Firstname) I wanna do an Afterupdate event to fill out the following textboxes (based on the Custid it fills out the Lastname, Firstname, Address, Phnnumber) and then based on the Empid of the last Employee that helped em it will fill out the textboxes witht he first and last na...

Excel 2003
Hi all Excel Gurus, I need help. I have an excel workbook with a sheet called template and i want to create a button to copy a selection of data which is B9:B34 and i need it to paste the information to another excel workbook with a sheet called data which will be A:AA and add each row when pressed. When the data has been copied over i need it to close the data sheet. Can someone help me please? When you copy a range of cells you only have to specify in the destination l;ocation the 1st cell of the range like I did below. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() FName ...

Help please
Hi everybody, what can be the reason why for some crm users in our domain, the incoming replies originating from crm contacts are populated as an activity but for some others they are not (eventhough replies come to their outlook inbox folder). Am I missing something in terms of user rights for that users? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks Have all the users had the CRMEMailEnable setting added to their profile in AD? -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Isil" <Isil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A86BDB4-F184-45D0-9A38-3C1D1470B88B@microsoft.com....

Hyperlink File Help
I am needing some major help. I have a file with hyperlinks in column F that link to a file on our server. I am needing to test to see if the file exists and if it does, copy the file to a folder in my documents called (CapturedFiles) and if it doesn't format the cell color to red. Can VBA do this and if so how? I am very basic when it comes to VBA and any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Sub Form not showing all records
I have created a form (PartSuffixSubFrm) that shows Part Number, Suffix and a check box from the table PartSuffixTbl. When I open the PartSuffixSubFrm as a Form all of the Part and Suffix records in the table show up. But when I include this as a subform on my LocationFrm the PartSuffixSubFrm only shows the first Part Number and it's Suffixes. I cannot see, nor reach, the rest of the records. Can anyone tell what I have missed based on this explination? Never mind - I am actually going a different way on this project. But for others found the Parent Child relationships are what...

"the path is not of a legal form" during CRM install
Hi all, On a couple different servers while installing various CRM components I've run into an error that halts installation. On the "Select Installation Location" screen for the CRM outlook client and the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration manager setup I get a dialogue box with a big red X that reads "The path is not of a legal form" with an OK button. Hitting OK returns to to the installation location screen, but if you hit next it just keeps popping up, leaving you with cancel as the only option. The illegal path does not seem to refer to the install path...

help in publisher and can't see the page tab on the bottom
I can't view my page tabs so I can't move btw pages in my publisher file- i know they are there for i see it in Print Preview but how do I get the tool bar on the bottom back? Mercy0986 wrote: > I can't view my page tabs so I can't move btw pages in my publisher > file- i know they are there for i see it in Print Preview but how do > I get the tool bar on the bottom back? ============================ For Publisher 2003 or earlier: Go to.....View / Status Bar For Publisher 2007...have a look at the following article: Where is the Page Sorter (status bar) in Publish...

Newsgroups in Outlook Express
Greetings! I am new to using Outlook Express in WinXP. In the newsgroups I can view image files that are not "yEnc" but cannot view the ones that are "yEnc". Could someone please tell me how to configure Outlook Express v6 to view such files? Thanks in advance, SC "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin I don't think OE supports yEnc - see insideoe.tomsterdam.com to verify. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coa...

CVS file won't open in Excel 97, Help Please!
I'm new at this so please bear with me. I am trying to open a CVS attachment. The attachment contains a spreadsheet with imported tab delimited files.The attachment automatically opens my Excel program. (I have tried to save the file and open but that doesn't work either). When the program tries to open I get the error message: SYLK: File format is not valid My excel program is Excel 97 Any help would be greatly appreciated. This was posted by Myrna Larson: =========== >From - Wed Apr 12 17:18:13 2000 From: Myrna Larson <myrnalarson@home.net> Subject: Re: file form...

constant restart of msexcimc service help..
I have been running across very slow opening of sub containers within my mailboxes. Sometimes to the point where the requesting information window pops up and sits for a long time and never connects... I found that re- applying sp4 sometimes works.. Yet I found that a quick restart of the \msexcimc.exe service is all that is need to make the connect fast and eliminate the non connect.. any ideas what is going on here? any ideas how to patch this?? I hate having to do this once a day.. =( Thanks... "ROb B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been...

Help I Am not Able To Delete My recieved E-mails.
I had recieved e-mails, after reading them, it said unable to delete. ...

Need help (Average excluding zero values)
This is what i have & it works but one problem there will be zero values & i need to exclude them if possible =AVERAGE(IF(AA5="L",E$5:E$65)) I have tried several different combinations I can,t get it that includes zero values in the average for me. are they blanks and not zeroes? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29096CBB-3E2A-4828-8A49-6CEB0142D5C4@microsoft.com... > This is what i have & it works but one problem there will be zero values & i > need to exclude them...

Outlook Fail to load. Please help!
Event Type: Information Event Source: Outlook Event Category: None Event ID: 27 Date: 9/13/2008 Time: 10:15:50 PM User: N/A Computer: IBM_M52 Description: The operation failed. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I cannot access any "meat" of Outlook: no E-mail Accounts, Datafiles, Import/Export; nor can I send or receive. Have done Detect and Repair and complete reinstall to no avail. Did you make a new profile? http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/profile/profile.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tip...

Missing windows/sys32/config/system
I have noted all the references to the MS support for this problem at startup. I am trying to help a friend who unfortunately does not have (and cannot get) the Windows XP disk (as was pre-installed, and purchased 3 years ago in another country). He crsahed his pc by panicking & "pulling the electricity plug" during a Windows update! I have an "Operating System Reinstallation cd" for my pc. Can I (in terms of both practically, securely & legally) use my disk to help restart his pc? If not, is there an "easy fix" for this problem that...

executing code on access forms on different pc's
We have several access databases that we used without any problems for years. All databases are in access2003 format and have forms with VB code behind it. recently we are getting new PC's that cannot execute the forms in (MDE version) databases. It reports missing references. Opening the MDB version is no problem but then it cannot be opened on the older PC's anymore. Both old and new PC's have Office 2003 installed and are running XPSP2. The missing references are 3 files: Comct232.ocx Comdlg32.ocx mscomct2.ocx Does anyone know where these files come from? Could they belon...

Some help with conditional formatting
Hi, I have a worksheet which details stock and last weeks sales. e,g, column A is stock, column B is 7-day sales. This extends down the worksheet several hundred lines (1 line for each product I sell) I want to put in a conditional format which will turn Column A red if it is less than column B. I have no difficulty in doing this with one cell, however I can't seem to paste this into another cell or range of cells using copy/paste special or the format painter. When I do paste into another cell the condition is copied exactly. What I want to do is write a condition where the cell...

Help needed in excel transpose #2
I need a macro to transpose data in the excel.The data that i have is in the following format: Summary Some data Steps 1)Some data 2)Some data Expected Result Some data Keywords Some data This is repeated in the next row and so on.. I need it in the following format Summary Steps Expected Result Keywords somedata 1)Some data Some data Some data 2)Some data Summary Steps Expected Result Keywords somedata 1)Some data Some data Some data 2)Some data Note that th...

MS templates open without help pane
Hiya, Hope you can help. I have used a number of Microsoft Excel Templates. My question is how can I open these spreadsheets without the online help pane opening automatically? Thanks in advance -- Carys Hopefully I understand this right. You mean the window on the side (getting started or whatever)? If so you should be able to go to tools -> Options and in the view tab uncheck Startup Task Pane. If thats not what you mean let me know...I'm sort of new at this heh "Carys" wrote: > Hiya, > > Hope you can help. I have used a number of Microsoft Excel Templat...

Strange error message when loading a collection with an item of user defined type
Hi, I want to store an unknown number of records, read from a txt data, into a Collection. Each record is made of 26 strings, so I defined a user-defined type Record: Const NLines As Long = 26 Type Record Lines(NLines) As String End Type Dim MyRecord As Record I also defined a Collection object to store all the record: Dim List As Collection Set List = New Collection However, when I read a record and then try to load it into List: Data.Add Item:=MyRecord I get this incomprehensible (for me) error message: "Only public user defined types defined in publ...

Help with Populating StringMap table
I have a user request that I'm sure is made with some frequency, so I'd like to see if anyone lse has solved a similar probelm, and/or if my solution might work. My users requested that we replace the State/Province text box with a State drop-down list. Since this textbox appears in several places, and since the tools for populating and maintaining picklist are poor (to be generous), I decided to look into automating the process. I created a stagin database for just such things, with a mirror stringmap table. Through a query, I can populate the CRM stringmap table quite easily, with ...

Pls help me to any quickest alternative from this boring shortcut
Hi! All Excel Genious, Pls help me to any quickest alternative from this boring shortcut Alt,E,S,V then Enter. Thanks all in advance. Nazmul Haque, E-mail: rony4icab@yahoo.com Bangladesh -- rony4ica Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Please tell what you're trying to do: the shortcuts vary per localized version of Excel. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "rony4icab" <rony4icab.27zr6o@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote in message news:rony4icab.27zr6o@NoSpamPleaze.com... | | Hi! | All Excel Genious, | | Pls help me to any quickest alternative from this boring shortcut | Alt,E,...

TEXT Function: please help
I have a sheet that keeps track of MAC to IP adresses. I've created a formula that will output the required format for DHCP server import. The formula was quite long and it was suggested to use the TEXT function . Thanks to Bob Phillips and my friend LavaDude my rather legthy formula has been reduced to the folowing, but it doesnt work correctly. =IF(D2="","","host"&L2&IF(C2="","",".")&IF(OR(B2="",B2>30,),"",B2&"-")&C2&"{ hardware ethernet "&TEXT(D2,"...

I fixed the date and time and the time zone. Now reply me please
Hi, I have some questions in outlook 2003, can anyone help me? 1-how can i in the appointment type a subject with special format (red, bold..) 2-whent a task is 100% completed, how can be deleted automatically. 3- I need to filter only the available time on a specific day. ex if i have 2 appointments today on a specific time, what i need to see is the available time for other new appointments. 4-If I have a lot of appointments on a specific date that are colored with labels and have a specific show time as (busy,tentative), when i go to print this calendar with the "calendar detai...

Most Recent File problem
Hi, I have Excel 2000, and I have noticed that if I launch an Excel spreadsheet from Windows Explorer, or from a search box (by double-clicking it), and do some work on that spreadsheet and save it, I then find that if I later open Excel and look for the file in the MRF list under the File menu item, it is not there.http://www.excelforum.com//images/smilies/confused.gif :confused: It appears that it will only make it into the MRF lists if I open Excel first, then use File Open to select the file, do some work and save it. So why aren't files listed that are launched externally? Or am I...