Linking a table from a Secure database

I have 2 database both with their own workgroup file(mdw) I like to link a
table from one secure database to the other secure database.  Is this posible
with them having two different workgroup(mdw) files.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:30:01 -0800, cpager
<cpager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

I don't think so.
The more common scenario is where several apps are secured using the
same MDW. After all, if Joe is in the ShippingDept group, he is so for
all applications.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I have 2 database both with their own workgroup file(mdw) I like to link a
>table from one secure database to the other secure database.  Is this posible
>with them having two different workgroup(mdw) files.
0
Tom
12/11/2009 5:00:21 AM
Tom van Stiphout wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:30:01 -0800, cpager
> <cpager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>I have 2 database both with their own workgroup file(mdw) I like to link a
>>table from one secure database to the other secure database.  Is this
>>posible with them having two different workgroup(mdw) files.

> I don't think so.
> The more common scenario is where several apps are secured using the
> same MDW. After all, if Joe is in the ShippingDept group, he is so for
> all applications.

Actually if a user or group is identically set up in more than one workgroup
file then they will be recognized as the same entity when an mdb is checking
permissions.

As long as that entity has all required permissions both the to the front
end file and the back end file then the linking would be allowed regardless
of the workgroup used.
0
Rick
12/11/2009 12:11:31 PM
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

So I create a the same user account in both mdw files, using the same name,
personal ID and put them both in the Admins group. I then login to database
one and tried to link a table from database two and got the “you don’t have
the necessary permissions message”.  I’m I doing something wrong?

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:30:01 -0800, cpager
> > <cpager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>I have 2 database both with their own workgroup file(mdw) I like to link a
> >>table from one secure database to the other secure database.  Is this
> >>posible with them having two different workgroup(mdw) files.
>
> > I don't think so.
> > The more common scenario is where several apps are secured using the
> > same MDW. After all, if Joe is in the ShippingDept group, he is so for
> > all applications.
>
> Actually if a user or group is identically set up in more than one workgroup
> file then they will be recognized as the same entity when an mdb is checking
> permissions.
>
> As long as that entity has all required permissions both the to the front
> end file and the back end file then the linking would be allowed regardless
> of the workgroup used.
> .

I create a new group in both mdw files and add the new user to this group in
both databases and now it's working. I was able to link tables from database
two in database one.

thanks for you help guys!

cpager wrote:

> Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.
>
> So I create a the same user account in both mdw files, using the same
> name, personal ID and put them both in the Admins group. I then login to
> database one and tried to link a table from database two and got the “you
> don’t have
> the necessary permissions message”.  I’m I doing something wrong?

With the exception of the default System.mdw files generated during install
or by Access itself when it cannot find one, no two "Admins" groups are
identical.

I would expect what you tried above to work if you granted permissions to
the specific user account, but not virtue of the permissions you granted to
the Admins group.

0
Rick
12/12/2009 1:45:43 PM
Rick Brandt <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:30:01 -0800, cpager
>> <cpager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>I have 2 database both with their own workgroup file(mdw) I like
>>>to link a table from one secure database to the other secure
>>>database.  Is this posible with them having two different
>>>workgroup(mdw) files.
>
>> I don't think so.
>> The more common scenario is where several apps are secured using
>> the same MDW. After all, if Joe is in the ShippingDept group, he
>> is so for all applications.
>
> Actually if a user or group is identically set up in more than one
> workgroup file then they will be recognized as the same entity
> when an mdb is checking permissions.
>
> As long as that entity has all required permissions both the to
> the front end file and the back end file then the linking would be
> allowed regardless of the workgroup used.

That's assuming the same username/password and PID used when the
user was created in each workgroup file, and the same for any user
groups that are used for assigning permissions.

David
12/12/2009 9:03:45 PM
=?Utf-8?B?Y3BhZ2Vy?= <cpager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> So I create a the same user account in both mdw files, using the
> same name, personal ID and put them both in the Admins group. I
> then login to database one and tried to link a table from database
> two and got the � oyou don� Tt have the necessary permissions
> message�  .  I� Tm I doing something wrong?

Well, first off, you shouldn't be using the Admins group if you want
to secure your database. That's the first rule of securing with Jet
ULS -- don't provide access to any of the built-in users/groups that
are found in every workgroup file. You have to *remove* access for
those (or set it to read-only) in order to gain any control over
security settings at all.

David

Security Vulnerability in Outlook 2007 email Encryption
I am using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. When someone with whom I have exchanged digital ID's with sends me an encrypted e-mail and I attempt a straight-forward "Reply To" there is an error message "Microsoft Outlook had problems encrypting this message ... recipients had missing or invalid certificates, or conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities". The choices offered are to send unencrypted or to cancel. However, send unencrypted doesn't work. So then if I save the "Reply To" as a draft, restart Outlook, and then send the draf...

Roady
http://www.winnetmag.com/MicrosoftExchangeOutlook/Article/ ArticleID/41634/41634.html this says you can do what I wanted to which was How can I configure the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 navigation pane so that when I click Contacts, a Public Folders contacts folder appears as the default? ...

Is Outlook auto responder security problem?
I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 for inter office mail as well as outside contacts with trusted clients. When I post an "out of office" auto response is there anyway to prevent that from sending spammers and phishers my contact info (MAC, IP, e-mail addresses) so that they now have a valid target and info to spread to others like them? I don't think so. The goal is to filter the spam well enough that it never gets to your box. However consider that almost all of the return addresses are "fake",...so it isn't going back to the spammer anyway. Most of the time it...

multi-databases Access 2.0 to 97 conversion
Hi, I have to convert ~100 access2.0 databases to access97 these databases contain only tables (no queries, no reports) somebody would have a solution, code example, to automate this process ? i try using the command line, but i don't know how to manage errors. Thanks for your help. TwoD dim dbe as dao.dbEngine if dir(sNewDBFullPath) <> "" then kill sNewDBFullPath dbe.CompactDatabase sOldDBFullPath, sNewDBFullPath, dao.dbLangGeneral, dao.dbVersion30 if dir(sNewDBFullPath) <> "" then kill sOldDBFullPath FileCopy sNewDBFullPath, sOldDBFullPath...

How do I preserve endnote links when converting a word doc to a pd
I saved a word document as a pdf document, but for some reason the formatting allowing me to switch back and forth between the text and endnotes is not working. Any tips for how to fix this? ...

Insert data into 2 tables
I had a form name "Purchases" which is based on table "Purchases" and a Table name "Transactions" In my form "Purchases", I have a "AmountPaid". I would like to do a "On Click Event" and then the value in "AmountPaid" will be recorded into my Transactions Table which has a field called "Withdrawal" I did something like this but it won't work, does autonumbering in my transaction table affect this? Private Sub Outstanding_Click() If (Outstanding = "Paid") Then Test = "INSERT INTO Transac...

Table of contents with hyperlinks to worksheets, plus "home" hyperlink
I would like to find a way to insert a "Home" hyperlink on all worksheets in a workbook. The hyperlink should link to Sheet1!A1 (my table of contents worksheet). Presently I have to enter the hyperlink one a time on each worksheet. Is there a way I can do this in one go? Some background information: I am trying to automate the process of setting up my workbooks. (I have nearly worked out how to do this). Sheet 1 should be the table of contents TOC. The rest of the sheets: one worksheet per item in the TOC, with a hyperlink to each worksheet from the TOC. This macro creates workshe...

"You attempted to open a database that is already opened exlcusivl
Two days ago I deployed a split 2003 access database that is accessed by 20 users. Since going live with it I have noticed many people having trouble with hanging or crashing of the front end. When I try to open the back end I get the message "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exlcusively by user 'Admin' on machine 'Comptername'. Try again when teh database is available. Then I track down who the PC belongs to and check what is going on. What I find on all the PCs that have made the back end give this error is that the user starts adding...

where can i get a excel league table template?
for a league of 12 teams each team playing 11 home and 11 away games http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E70B7EB1-F42D-4B54-9E9C-76F4394B34FC@microsoft.com... > for a league of 12 teams each team playing 11 home and 11 away games ...

SOP50200 table
Does anyone know what the SOP50200 table is? Why are records sometimes there and sometimes not? SOP50200 is the temporary Sales Document Header table. "Elaine" wrote: > Does anyone know what the SOP50200 table is? Why are records sometimes there > and sometimes not? Hi Ross, When are records added and deleted? We use Forms Printer to print invoices. The report must use this table. Thanks, Elaine "Ross" wrote: > SOP50200 is the temporary Sales Document Header table. > > "Elaine" wrote: > > > Does anyone know what the SOP5020...

How do I get a table to flow onto a second page
My table is too big to fit on one page. How can I get it to flow/wrap onto a second page? You can't in Publisher. You can in Word. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ajbrough" <ajbrough@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73141CB-D4CB-4BA3-9517-2BCC613AE237@microsoft.com... > My table is too big to fit on one page. How can I get it to flow/wrap onto a > second page? ...

GP 9 Security
I have a client on GP v9 and we are trying to do some SOD/Security testing. As you know, the access reports from v9 are not ideal. I am looking for a way to get an extract from the security table, like we use to do for PeopleSoft, so I could run my own queries. Is this possible? Ideally, I want to query so the results return two different results: 1) USER ID, CLASS ID, SECURITY TYPE, RESOURCE NAME (so I can query who, at the user level, has access to certain functions [WINDOWS]) 2) CLASS ID, SECURITY TYPE, RESOURCE NAME (so I can query for the design of security classes to...

Why does -1, -1, and 2 equal 4 in a pivot table
Trying to do a pivot table to calculate processing time using Beginning Inventory + Received - Ending Inventory. Used formulas to 'Reverse' Ending inventory thinking I could do a Pivot table on the results however the Pivots appear to be using the absolute values. Confirmed this using Drill down to review the data and the values are no longer showing the negative signs. ...

Campiagns and Security
User A (Business Unit A) is in a business unit higher than user B (BU B). AND Business Units are set up as hierarchy. Unit A owns Unit B. When user A creates a task, case, appointment, .. these are all visible to user B at the account level. This makes sense as user B owns the account. However - when user A creates a campaign (campaign, campaign responses, activities,..); it is not visible to user B. Is this how the software functions? If I share the campiagn then all the responses, activities,... are visile to user B including responses from accounts not owned or visible to user B. A...

Try that security pack from Microsoft
--oibatrvrtm Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vsmkvzauavjlpmr"; type="multipart/alternative" --vsmkvzauavjlpmr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pxfceubyrix" --pxfceubyrix Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to ...

lookup from a table in a pivottable
Hi (excel 2007) I have a regular table (Table13) with some productinformations. I column M i have the SerialId for the specific item. I need to check if the SerialId already is in our ERP-system (ax). I have a pivottable showing all SerialId's from my Ax-table. Excel has given the pivttable the name Pivottable1. I now want to write a formular like =VLOOKUP(Table13[[#This row];[SerialID]];pivottabel1;1;True) But it seems not to be possible to lookup into a pivottable ??? Regards Peter Hi Peter You could just use a MATCH of your ID against the column of the PT she...

Access 2000 Database
I am trying to understand how to figure out how and why a DB that was working fine for years all of a sudden starts locking, and going in to unrecognised format???? totally confused. I've jecomp'd the DB and have replaced hardware to eliminate bad nics. Does anybody have an input or diagnostic tools I should be utilizing to determine the problem? -- Hope all is well in PC land!!!!! hi, Spiceman wrote: > I am trying to understand how to figure out how and why a DB that was working > fine for years all of a sudden starts locking, and going in to unrecognised > forma...

POS vs RMS and central database.
I have been asked to look into pos system for our stores. We have a central warehouse and 5 remote stores. However we are thrift store based with 2nd hand merchandise so no pre upc codes and no reorders. All items are price with barcodes in the warehouse and shipped out. MS RMS looks very attractive as does MS POS. We have a central server in the warehouse that has a full SQL 2000 server available. Can MS POS replicate the store data to the central sql server in the warehouse like RMS does? I like the structure of RMS but many of the features just don't ably to use like layaway, reorder, ...

Database Not Found Error Message
Hello, I've installed RMS on Server 2003 running MYSQL. I have another machine running XPPro and want to use that one as the POS front end computer with the HP server as the database/file server. I've installed RMS on both machines although the machines are networked and can see each other when I attempt to launch POS on XP Pro machine, it tells me could not connect to the database. I've made sure the SQL server client utility has the same enabled protocols of TCP/IP and Named Pipes. This is the same config on the 2003 Server. I can launch the Store Operations Administr...

Opening a database 12-07-09
Hello A friend gave me an Access program but I can't access the database directly only through the UI. It's as though it was an executable or some such thing. I can navigate the interface just fine but I want the databases as I am retoolling a UI for it. It's in Access 2000. How can I pull the database? thanks for any input Steve Steve, Did you mean you want the tables? Why not ask your friend to just send the tables? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/inde...

Handwritten Signature Security Issues
My boss wants me to do some research on any security issues with having images of handwritten signatures on email signature blocks. I did a search and did not come up with much. Can anyone point me to something? My common sense answer is that anything you sign in the real world can be scanned, and they have your signature, so what? Like every time you write a check, your signature goes out to the world... Security issues are with email as a communication media as a whole. A scanned image wont wash in any legal sense "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Why can't open excel files with MRU file links
Hi, Sometimes when I try open excel files with most recently used document link, the file can't be opened. As I place the mouse pointer at windows status bar, I just see the pointer plus a funnel but that funnel never goes off. I need to reboot my windows ME OS to solve the problem (sometimes I need to boot it several times to get problem solved). The problem will not happen if I launch excel first then open the document from its file menu. The described problem happens more frequently when I try to open excel document just after my ME boots up. I would like to ask is there anything ab...

Retrieve tables from web with variable URL
Hello, This URL http://www.bibf.be/ipc/tamenu.asp has a field "postcode", asking for a 4-digit entry and leading to the links of all members of that postal code when all other inputs are omitted. The visible URL in the URL bar , however , remains unchanged. I have a list in Excel with several postal codes e.g. 2200 2500 2222 3000 for which I want to retrieve the members tot list them up on a worksheet. I know enough VBA to do that if I only knew the key to build that postal code into the URL. Is there a way to do that? Thank you very much for any help. Herman ...

Macro shortcut for Database Add-In
I am trying to create a macro that turns my F12 key into a shortcut for ALT-S-R in all my workbooks. I use that series of keystrokes often through Essbase, a Database add-in used through Excel. ALT-S-R are the keystrokes to retrieve data out of a database. If no range is highlighted it puts the top left corner of the data in the active cell; however, if you hit ALT-S-R while there is a range of cells highlighted, you will only populate those cells in the highlighted range with the data. I know at least some version of what I'm trying to get is possible. I had it working for a little whi...

Matching data from one table and copy them to another
Hi, I have two Excel tables. Table 1 contains list of animals and their description in two columns. Table 2 contains list of animals and results of a test. Not all animals from Table 1 mach the animals in Table 2, but most of them do. I have to link those two tables in a way that test result from table 2 appears in Table 1 Column 3 but of course I must use animal ID column as a reference to match data. How can I do this? It's always a good idea to reveal ranges... That said... Table1 = A2:B100 Table2 = F2:G200 In D2 enter & copy down: =MATCH(A2,$F$2:$F$100,0) In C2 enter &am...