Linked Table Add In - is it pretty bullet proof

Greetings,

I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will
happen soon)

All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend and
several others.

Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a
"not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
times a week.

The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it
said it has?

I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
need to do??

I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Linked Table Manager doesn't update the connection strings for SQL
Passthroughs.

MDB shouldn't be used by anyone for any reason

ADP are a much much simpler archtecture

On Apr 23, 4:04 pm, G-Man <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will
> happen soon)
>
> All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend and
> several others.
>
> Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a
> "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> times a week.
>
> The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it
> said it has?
>
> I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> need to do??
>
> I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

0
Susie
4/23/2007 11:09:09 PM
I haven't heard about this not working.

"G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> Will
> happen soon)
>
> All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> and
> several others.
>
> Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> times a week.
>
> The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> it
> said it has?
>
> I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> need to do??
>
> I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

0
Pat
4/23/2007 11:34:30 PM
Thanks.

I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
work I could do some real damage."

I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
re-direct the links and drive on.

"Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:

> I haven't heard about this not working.
>
> "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > Will
> > happen soon)
> >
> > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > and
> > several others.
> >
> > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > times a week.
> >
> > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > it
> > said it has?
> >
> > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > need to do??
> >
> > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

Hi G-Man,

The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that I
can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
data I am looking at.

To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:

update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"

Hope this helps.

Damian.

"G-Man" wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
> work I could do some real damage."
>
> I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
> necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
> re-direct the links and drive on.
>
> "Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I haven't heard about this not working.
> >
> > "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > > Will
> > > happen soon)
> > >
> > > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > > and
> > > several others.
> > >
> > > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > > times a week.
> > >
> > > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > > it
> > > said it has?
> > >
> > > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > > need to do??
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

Thanks

"Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:

> I haven't heard about this not working.
>
> "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > Will
> > happen soon)
> >
> > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > and
> > several others.
> >
> > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > times a week.
> >
> > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > it
> > said it has?
> >
> > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > need to do??
> >
> > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

I see.  Makes sense.  But as long as I know I am working in an FE only, I
simply link the FE to a dummy BE and then add DUMMY Data to the startup
Description.  I never add "Dummy Data" until I have changed the links.

I always look at the Application Description Bar when I am in a database. If
I don;t see "Dummy Data" in the name, I know I am working with a FE that is
linked to live data.

Works for me.

Thanks for the idea, however. may need to incorporate it if things get busier.

"Damian S" wrote:

> Hi G-Man,
>
> The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that I
> can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
> appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
> addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
> data I am looking at.
>
> To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:
>
> update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Damian.
>
> "G-Man" wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
> > work I could do some real damage."
> >
> > I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
> > necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
> > re-direct the links and drive on.
> >
> > "Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't heard about this not working.
> > >
> > > "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I do something similar except that I have the application check the name of
the back end automatically.  If it is not the production back end, the menu
shows the name of the actual back end in red.
>I see.  Makes sense.  But as long as I know I am working in an FE only, I
> simply link the FE to a dummy BE and then add DUMMY Data to the startup
> Description.  I never add "Dummy Data" until I have changed the links.
>
> I always look at the Application Description Bar when I am in a database.
> If
> I don;t see "Dummy Data" in the name, I know I am working with a FE that
> is
> linked to live data.
>
> Works for me.
>
> Thanks for the idea, however. may need to incorporate it if things get
> busier.
>
> "Damian S" wrote:
>
>> Hi G-Man,
>>
>> The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that
>> can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
>> appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
>> addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
>> data I am looking at.
>>
>> To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:
>>
>> update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Damian.
>>
>> "G-Man" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever
>> > doesn't
>> > work I could do some real damage."
>> >
>> > I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but
>> > not
>> > necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
>> > re-direct the links and drive on.

0
Pat
4/24/2007 2:39:27 PM
G-Man <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
>instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
>these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
>need to do??
>
>I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
>this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

I have some code, on startup, which checks the connect string of all
linked tables and ensures they are the same.  In addition if the
database is an MDB and the connect string is on a server, that is \\
present, then I change the background colour of the main menu in
orange.  The users only ever see an MDE.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

automatically add email address to contacts when replying mail in outlook 2003 #3
every time i send a reply or email to sometime how can i tweak outlook 2003 to save the email address to my contacts automatically?? - Thank you Mayur Mayur Patel <patelmb@vt.edu> wrote: > every time i send a reply or email to sometime how can i tweak > outlook 2003 to save the email address to my contacts automatically?? http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange/Outlook Problem
My boss is having problems forwarding along his joke e-mails. It seems anyone who receives his messages cannot see the embedded images. It appears the problematic mails all seem to point to resources on the yahoo mail servers(img src="cid: 1.3069514949@web180307.mail.gq1.yahoo.com" for example). The mails are being forwarded by the user from Outlook 2003, and sent via our Exchange 2003 server. The images seem to work on our end but not for others. This issue was occurring on Entourage for Mac, and I have assumed to this point that the issue is caused by complications in enco...

Linked Images (Cheks) Don't Display Properly
Hello, for some strange reason, when I choose to link an image to a transaction, most of what was downloaded shows properly. But the check images themselves does not show. In the recent past this was not a problem. I have checked the associations settings for html etc and set them to view in IE but this did not fix the problem. What am I missing, Please? ...

Error when I click on mailto: links
Greetings, I get an error message when I click on any links that use the mailto: code. Here's the error: Title: Problem with Shortcut Text: The amil program was unable to send mail. I use Windows 98 and Office XP. I use Outlook XP, not Outlook Express as my default mail app. I have ensured that Outlook XP is my default e-mail program. I have also made sure that under Internet Options--> Application, it says that Outlook is my mail program. Anything else I can do? Hold curser over link, press shift key, now you can click on link. "Steve Miller" wrote: > Greetings,...

The procedure entry point RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.
I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. This shows up in Outlook. W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.788 / Virus Database: 533 - Release Date: 11/1/2004 I found it, http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?uxtheme W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan "W. Kirk Crawford" <wkc@comcast.net> wrote in message news:xoidnaqrja3VPVncRVn-hg@comcast.com... > I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. > ...

Rename Multiple Tables at once
I have an Access 2007 database that has a lot of linked tables and I want to 'batch' rename them. For example, they all start with "dbo_" and I want to rename all of them to "PM_". How can I make that happen? I've been searching and cannot find a solution. Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Dim dbCurr As DAO.Database Dim tdfCurr As DAO.TableDef Set dbCurr = CurrentDb() For Each tdfCurr In dbCurr.TableDefs If Left(tdfCurr.Name, 4) = "dbo_" Then tdfCurr.Name = "PM_" & Mid(tdfCurr.Name, 5)...

How do I add musical score (adding my own notes) to publisher
The intention is to add trebel or base musical score to MS Publisher brochure and be able to add notes to it, i.e. I wish to reproduce a hymn in a church bulletin. SB wrote: > The intention is to add trebel or base musical score to MS Publisher brochure > and be able to add notes to it, i.e. I wish to reproduce a hymn in a church > bulletin. Microsoft Publisher is not a scorewriting program. Technically, you could put in some ClipArt musical notes or WordArt/text if you have the fonts available, but you would be much better off using a dedicated scorewriter and then exporting...

Table Design Issue
I have a database the has a Parts Table and a Vendors Table. what needs to happen is i need a form that will allow someon to view all the information about that parts itself and the vendors that supply the part but every part is available by all 5 vendors for different cost, and i need to construct tables that when part information is undated or deleted it will reflect across the board and on the form itself be able to see the vendor name and the part information for that vendor. what type of relationships will be involved here Answered in tablesdbdesign. ...

pivot table multiple consolidation ranges
When I create a pivot table based on data from one excel worksheet, the pivot table automatically creates one layout field for every column header on the worksheet; but when I choose the multiple consolidation option and add two consolidation ranges to my pivot table data, the layout shows only a field named "Rows" and one named "Columns" - in other words, it doesn't create fields named after the column headers that I can drag into the respective pivot layout areas (page, column, row, data). The column headers in both of the worksheets (consolidation ranges) are...

How to add a disclaimer at the bottom of all outgoing messages
I would like to add a standard text at the bottom of every message sent to external address. I have both Exchange 2000 and 2003. I do not want to use the signature feature in Outlook, but prefer to do it at the exchange level which will apply to all users. Hi You have two options here, you can either Follow MS article q317608 to create an SMTP Transport Event Sync, see here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;317680 Second option: purchase a product such as GFI MailEssentials Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2k Pro&Svr, Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "...

Linking using ranges?
I have a chart of data on one excel worksheet (and this chart has a constant number of columns, but the number of rows vary). I need to take all of the data on this chart (not all of the data on that worksheet) and put it in to the middle of another worksheet. I was wondering if there was a way to do this without using a macro. My thought was to try to create a range on each sheet and set one range equal to another, but apparently excel doesn't allow this (at least in version 2000, which I am using). Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? If this isn't possible how woul...

Pivot Tables #32
Hi - I have got to learn fast how to make pivot tables from a database in Excel 2003. I know how to set up the database, however I just don't seem to grasp the logic or procedure to set up the table. Is there somewhere on the web that I can go do get almost a step by step explanations and examples to make them clearer? Thank You There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm sue t wrote: > Hi - I have got to learn fast how to make pivot tables > from a database in Excel 2003. I know how ...

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

Pivot Tables #16
What are the point of Pivot Tables? I was asked about it at work, and I have no idea what they are and how useful they are? Very useful, you could have a look here to make a start, http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm Regards, Alan. "Jason Woolsey" <jasonmwoolsey@me.com> wrote in message news:72F80D21-15FD-4B00-B934-FE2A46EACC3B@microsoft.com... > What are the point of Pivot Tables? I was asked about it at work, and I > have no idea what they are and how useful they are? Hi Jason They are the hidden gem in Excel. A fantastically easy way of ana...

m_strFilter and multiple tables.
Hi, Can I specify a table list in a m_strFilter statement? ie: How do I accomplish the following using m_strFilter: SELECT * FROM RS1,RS2 WHERE RS1.DOCN = RS2.DOCN Thanks. ...

Editing Table of Authorities Categories
Heres a good one to chew on... There are occasions when we want to separate out the Statutes category into two separate categories, "federal statutes" and "state statutes", because Word doesn't recognize that federal statutes must appear before state statutes, and we don't want to run the risk of manually moving the federal up before the state and then updating the table of authorities and forgetting to do the manual work again. Here's my issue: I have macro that reassigns categories 2 through 8, essentially renaming Statutes and Other Authoriti...

How To Align Decimals In A PP 2007 Table
I have financial data with one decimal point where I want to align to the decimal point in a PowerPoint table. How do I select the full column and align to the decimals? Thanks! (B^>)-]=[ You can't. I've asked for this feature ever since about PowerPoint 2000, but it's still not there. Frustrating. You have to do this individually in each cell. Basically, choose the decimal tab option to the left of the ruler, then add a tab (Ctrl+Tab) before the text in each cell as necessary. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT ...

"MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP" add 'HTTP' in front of all request parameter
Hi, I need to write a ASPX file that will post some request to other party (web service written in java), here is my code, <%@ Page aspcompat=true %> <% Dim xml, url xml = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP") url = "http://localhost/Testing.aspx" xml.Open ("POST", url, False) xml.SetRequestHeader ("status","1" ) xml.SetRequestHeader ("ref_id","5354" ) xml.SetRequestHeader ("response_type","MT" ) xml.Send () Response.Write (xml.responsetext) xml = not...

how to restore links automatically after server migration?
We plan to migrate from Novell to Windows Server 2003, using new directory structures. The problem is : we have more than 1000 spreadsheets which are linked to other spreadsheets, and after the migration all the links will be broken because of the new locations. Is there a tool or a trick to restore these links quicker than opening all the sheets and correct the links by hand one-by-one? I could produce a table containing the name of the sheet, old location, new location, but then ?... Any help is highly appreciated! Sabine ...

Using Min to Calculate across a table
I am attempting to massage data so I can see what the maximum number of pieces I can produce based off of various components. My query to figure out how many of each component is available per unit is complete and the output is: Part_Number, MaxComponent1, MaxComponent2,MaxComponent3, MaxComponent4 Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could find the MIN of the components and group by part number? Cheers See the MinOfList() function here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-09.html A better solution would be to create a related table with many records for the combinations that are va...

Entering the same value into two table fields at the same time
Say that there is a table which has 2 fields (A, B) There is a form [Form1] (data entry type) to enter data for A by `TextBoxA`. There is also one more `TextBoxB` which is Not Visible. My target is to record the value of (entered thtough `TextBoxA`) into B field of the table as well. So I write down a code "Before Insert" of the Form1 that: " Form_Form1.TextBoxB = Form_Form1.TextBoxA " It is not recording A values into the field B... Where am I wrong? Can you help me please? Sory !!! When I write down the same code into `OnExit` of TextBoxA, it is working...!! yes, ...

Microsoft Word Table design in Access 2007
Is there a method for inserting a table (not an access table, but a word table with columns/rows/header, etc...) in a description field in a form or below the description field? I'm creating a database for development business rules and sometimes a business rule needs a table to explain or identify the heirarchy/relationship of items for the rule. I don't want this to link to anything else but the Business Rule ID that I am currently in. Thanks in advance! You could use a memo field but the data will not be separated by grid lines. You would need to add spacing and ...

How to link the content of a cell with a related list of items
I have a workbook that I created for tst item analysis. On the main worksheet is used to enter sudent's response for every multiple-choice question. on another worksheet which is the summary, I wrote a formula that allows me to sknow how many students choose choice 1, choice 2, choice 3,choice 4 for a given question. My challenge is to click on that number of student in the cell to display the list of students who chose cjoice 1, 2, 3, or 4. How canI do that please? -- Ti Moy Here's a formulas model to achieve the underlying objectives: http://cjoint.com/?chjHCSWehb ...

Data Modeling:Lookup table and Main table:establishing relationshi
I am working on creating data model from existing database using MS Visio 2007 Profesional Edition. Existing database is w/o PK-FKs & I am working to create relational DB which enforces RI. I have a lookup table which contains language codes,used by main table. The problem ,I am running into, is that these languagecodes(from lookup table) are used by 3 columns in main table. So, I am wondering how can I enforce PK-FK relationship here. As in... language_code from lookup table is PK and it has to associated w/ column(s) existing in main table. Something like following: Lookup Table ...

Form feeding a table problem
I am a newer user of Access and inherited a database from a person no longer with the company. I am using a form to input invoice amounts into an invoice table. The form uses a parameter query to ask for invoice number. When the form opens, I have it pulling customer info from a customer table, which it displays on the form. I then enter more invoice info. When I look at the invoice table after I close the form, the info I typed (invoice update) is there, but the customer info that is automatically pulled doesn't load from the customer table to the invoice table. How can I g...