Linked Table Add In - is it pretty bullet proof

Greetings,

I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will
happen soon)

All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend and
several others.

Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a
"not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
times a week.

The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it
said it has?

I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
need to do??

I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Linked Table Manager doesn't update the connection strings for SQL
Passthroughs.

MDB shouldn't be used by anyone for any reason

ADP are a much much simpler archtecture

On Apr 23, 4:04 pm, G-Man <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will
> happen soon)
>
> All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend and
> several others.
>
> Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a
> "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> times a week.
>
> The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it
> said it has?
>
> I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> need to do??
>
> I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

0
Susie
4/23/2007 11:09:09 PM
I haven't heard about this not working.

"G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> Will
> happen soon)
>
> All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> and
> several others.
>
> Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> times a week.
>
> The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> it
> said it has?
>
> I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> need to do??
>
> I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

0
Pat
4/23/2007 11:34:30 PM
Thanks.

I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
work I could do some real damage."

I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
re-direct the links and drive on.

"Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:

> I haven't heard about this not working.
>
> "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > Will
> > happen soon)
> >
> > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > and
> > several others.
> >
> > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > times a week.
> >
> > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > it
> > said it has?
> >
> > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > need to do??
> >
> > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

Hi G-Man,

The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that I
can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
data I am looking at.

To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:

update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"

Hope this helps.

Damian.

"G-Man" wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
> work I could do some real damage."
>
> I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
> necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
> re-direct the links and drive on.
>
> "Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I haven't heard about this not working.
> >
> > "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > > Will
> > > happen soon)
> > >
> > > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > > and
> > > several others.
> > >
> > > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > > times a week.
> > >
> > > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > > it
> > > said it has?
> > >
> > > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > > need to do??
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

Thanks

"Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:

> I haven't heard about this not working.
>
> "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade.
> > Will
> > happen soon)
> >
> > All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends.  There is one major backend
> > and
> > several others.
> >
> > Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to
> > "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play.  I do this many
> > times a week.
> >
> > The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer.  Have there
> > been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though
> > it
> > said it has?
> >
> > I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
> > instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
> > these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
> > need to do??
> >
> > I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
> > this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

I see.  Makes sense.  But as long as I know I am working in an FE only, I
simply link the FE to a dummy BE and then add DUMMY Data to the startup
Description.  I never add "Dummy Data" until I have changed the links.

I always look at the Application Description Bar when I am in a database. If
I don;t see "Dummy Data" in the name, I know I am working with a FE that is
linked to live data.

Works for me.

Thanks for the idea, however. may need to incorporate it if things get busier.

"Damian S" wrote:

> Hi G-Man,
>
> The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that I
> can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
> appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
> addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
> data I am looking at.
>
> To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:
>
> update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Damian.
>
> "G-Man" wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever doesn't
> > work I could do some real damage."
> >
> > I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but not
> > necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
> > re-direct the links and drive on.
> >
> > "Pat Hartman (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't heard about this not working.
> > >
> > > "G-Man" <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I do something similar except that I have the application check the name of
the back end automatically.  If it is not the production back end, the menu
shows the name of the actual back end in red.
>I see.  Makes sense.  But as long as I know I am working in an FE only, I
> simply link the FE to a dummy BE and then add DUMMY Data to the startup
> Description.  I never add "Dummy Data" until I have changed the links.
>
> I always look at the Application Description Bar when I am in a database.
> If
> I don;t see "Dummy Data" in the name, I know I am working with a FE that
> is
> linked to live data.
>
> Works for me.
>
> Thanks for the idea, however. may need to incorporate it if things get
> busier.
>
> "Damian S" wrote:
>
>> Hi G-Man,
>>
>> The way I go about it is to update the data in my dummy back end so that
>> can tell by looking that it is the DEV or TEST database - I do this by
>> appending (DEV) or (TEST) to the main fields, and by setting all email
>> addresses to my own address.  That way I can tell by looking exactly what
>> data I am looking at.
>>
>> To do this with SQL is simple - something like this:
>>
>> update TABLENAME set FIELDNAME = FIELDNAME & " (DEV)"
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Damian.
>>
>> "G-Man" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > I don;t know why . . .but today, I just thought "Man, if this ever
>> > doesn't
>> > work I could do some real damage."
>> >
>> > I generally make a backup of the main back end once a day . . . .  but
>> > not
>> > necessarily in connection with every different session I am working. I
>> > re-direct the links and drive on.

0
Pat
4/24/2007 2:39:27 PM
G-Man <GMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I always check the AFTER of this operation and make sure I see C:\ . . . .
>instead of the network in the Linked Tables manager window.  when I KNOW
>these are all pointing to the correct dummy daya, is there anything else I
>need to do??
>
>I haven't seen any problems. It's just that I rely very very very much on
>this feature working.  Anyone heard of any horror stories

I have some code, on startup, which checks the connect string of all
linked tables and ensures they are the same.  In addition if the
database is an MDB and the connect string is on a server, that is \\
present, then I change the background colour of the main menu in
orange.  The users only ever see an MDE.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Open Queue with Link
Hi all, is there any way to open a queue directly with a link? For example: http://crm/workplace/home_workplace.aspx This link always show My Work Queue on Select. But how can I open directly the queue Call Center (The Queue Id is: {A1C6CE3D-EB6E-43FB-AD10-805C1E8A8B0F}). Thanks, Andre ...

Relative path to linked graphic
Hi! Is there a way to specify that a linked graphic is on a relative path (e.g., ...\images) instead of the absolute path that Publisher 2002 defaults to? I want to move a document to another folder but the 100+ images in this document will be a pain to update, although they are all in the relative path ...\images. Thanks! Jamon oooohhhh ouch 100+ images - not at all fun. -- :-( no... "���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message news:%23qbD$hVgDHA.1832@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > oooohhhh ouch 100+ images - not at all fun. > > -- > &...

Pivot Tables: Subtotal only certain columns?
I'm new to pivot tables and really like them, using one could help me greatly simlplify some reporting I do, however I cannot figure out how to show subtotals only on certain columns, it appears to be all or nothing. Showing them results in some non-sense garbage on my reports that I cannot have. I think this is my last hurdle to actually using pivot tables and hope there is a way to remedy this. Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com Can you post an example of what you are getting and what you want... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Robbro" wrote: > I'm new to p...

linked Excel charts don't match formatting in original
I have one spreadsheet in which I created charts linked to worksheets in the same file. These charts I have exported (i.e. copied into another file). When I open that other file without having the original file with the data open, the labels on the charts don't reflect the number formatting that was selected for them: .09 instead of 9%. Any help would be appreciated as I can't figure out how to fix this. For instance, is there a way to break the link to freeze a certain look of the charts? Thanks, Stefan. You could copy and paste the poicture rather than the link. If you...

We can not use linked table (to Excel) at the same time as two users!
I have a table which receives data from an Excel file which is located under server (Same location with access database file). When two users open this file, we can not use this table (linked to Excel file). I mean the one who open the access file first can use data on that table. But when second open and try to use that table, he fails. Is there any way to fix this problem. We are twu users only and we cant use it at the same time. Thanks In the Excel file that is the problem, try opening it and from the meny select Tools, Share Workbook. Check the box on the Edit tab that says Allow chan...

emailing link from internet explorer
I have outlook 2003 and if i want 2 email a link, outlook does not allow it. How do i turn off this feature and make my own decision 2 email a link or not? This is very frustrating. Thank you for any assistance. ...

tables
Can I lock a table in place with respect to the text before and after? When inserting more text the table does not move with the text. From what I understand you are saying, I would say no. -- ...

change report/query into a table
Is there a way i can change a report/ query into a saved table format .so i can use it for email replies?? No, but you can print it as a Snapshot file or a PDF. You can save the report's recordsource as a temporary table, as well, or just copy and past that query into an email. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13E09077-9090-4495-8ABC-9D437F1B5597@microsoft.com... > Is there a way i can change a report/ query into a saved...

MS Excel VBA Pivot table link cell fetch records
I have a table 'tbl_Final' in MS Access 2007 where the data is used and cached in a pivot table found in the 'Data' worksheet in MS Excel 2007. In this MS Excel 2007 workbook, I have various worksheets reports which links to the pivot table values found 'Data' worksheet. I linked formulae in one of the cells found the worksheet reports, looks like this: =GETPIVOTDATA("Amount",Data!$B$4,"Month", 2,"Year","2008","Scenario","Budget") Lets say the cell value total is: 1000 So, In pivot: 1000 ...

Add A Line
I have a Form That links to several other similar forms across different worksheets. I want to be able to add blank lines to the form and add the exact number of blank lines to the other forms. is there a way to do this by having a macro run when I enter data in the last field or the row? ...

can i find out what cells are linking to other workbooks?
When i open this workbook, it always tells me 'this workbook contains links to other data sources' but i can't find where it is. is there a way to find out what cells are linking to another workbook without clicking into every cell on this huge-o workbook? thanks -- ForSale ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ForSale's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11896 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=272610 Hi goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findli...

Links open slowly in Outlook 2007 Professional
Is anyone else experiencing the same thing or have a fix for this? It takes 20-30 secs and sometimes longer for my IE to open a link when I click on it within an email. I have tried resetting the web defaults and making IE the default browser because I also have Firefox installed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, newtechie What happens if you make FF the default? Do the links still take ages to load in FF or is it quicker? -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "Newtechie" wrote: > Is anyone else experiencing the same thing or have a fix for this? It takes ...

How to Add Custom Color to Following
Hello All! I have some queries related to MFC PropertySheet and page. Please somebody provide me useful pointer or help towards this #1 I want to know how to add custom Skin or Color to Dialog Box Title Bar #2 How to get ID of BACK,NEXT and FINISH button in MFC Based Wizard (my custom) because I want to change default look of these button or rather say I want to add color to these button. Thanks -- With Regards Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "I think this will Help" Hi, To answer part #2 of your question: The IDs o...

PivotTable Filter Automaticly adds new data
Hi, I have a strange problem. MS Excel 2003 pivot table linked to SSAS 2005 Cube. One of the dimensions let's say Customer is filtered on the pivot table. 5 from total of 100 Customers are selected in filter. Next day assume 2 new customers added to customer dimension and when the pivot refreshed those 2 new customers are automaticly added to filter and the result is 7 customers selected out of 102 total. Do you know any ways to prevent this and keeping the only original filter without adding new records? Thanks in advance erdal On Mar 20, 12:45=A0pm, "erdal akbulut&q...

Linking to two sheet in one workbook
I have an excel workbook with twenty four spreadsheets in it that rely on each other being there (can't seperate them into individual files). I am writing a report in Word that uses some of the sheets in the Excel file via an "insert object" menu item in Word. My question is how do I link to an individual sheet? When I link to the file it brings in the sheet that was open during the last save of the Excel file. I have to go and open the Excel file, select the correct sheet, save and exit (if it is not exited it doesn't insert correctly). I would rather link to something ...

linking several data sheet into one master workbook
I have a workbook that contains 5 worksheets that are the same except that each one is for a different business unit. There are also a couple of other sheets that do some comparisons of the data by business unit. What I want to do is make it so that each business unit can do data entry without the others locking them out. So I have created separate workbooks for each unit. The problem is when I open the worksheet with the overall reporting, I want to have an exact copy of the raw data (i.e. formatting and all) in the worksheet. I have tried to link worksheets cell by cell but where t...

update a closed file via links
Can I update a value (linked) in a closed file? In other words, if files A & B link to data in file C, and I update values in C, is there a function or program that I can run to force the updates in A & B, without actually opening A & B? Thanks, RR Not that I know of. But the next time you open them, if you answer the prompts nicely, won't the values be updated? Rob Robbins wrote: > > Can I update a value (linked) in a closed file? In other words, if files A & > B link to data in file C, and I update values in C, is there a function or > program that...

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

How to add same names in the numeral count in the next sheet
How to add same names in the numeral count in the next sheet,find the below i have copied.. Sheet 1 S \ No Facility Name Vendor Name 1 CDC - 1 SLS 2 CDC - 1 SLS 3 CDC - 1 SLS 4 CDC - 1 SLS 5 CDC - 1 SLS 6 CDC - 1 SLS 7 CDC - 1 SLS 8 CDC - 1 SLS 9 CDC - 1 SLS 10 CDC - 1 SLS 11 CDC - 1 MM 12 CDC - 1 MM 13 CDC - 1 MM 14 CDC - 1 MM 15 CDC - 1 MM 16 CDC - 1 MM 17 CDC - 1 MM 18 CDC - 1 MM 19 CDC - 1 MM 20 CDC - 1 MM 21 CDC - 1 MM 22 CDC - 1 MM Sheet2 Date 1-Dec 2-Dec SLS 6 4 MM 14 13 NPT 19 18 IPT 9 10 SSRM 19 21 SRS 17 17 Cabs Operated 84 83 ...

add size option to excel form checkbox
After fielding numerous complaints about the loss of this feature, Please return the ability to change the actual size of the checkbox (the GRAPHIC) so that forms don't end up printing and displaying in an unbalanced manner. The simplest implementation would be to allow the box to scale with the grab points. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestio...

Establishing when a table is referenced
Hi there, How can I find out where a table is referenced in a form, query, or in visual basic code, within an access 97 project. I've just inherited an access database with a lot of problems in it and it would make my life easier if I could find out when a table is being referenced. Thanks, Aine. Access Analyzer http://fmsinc.com/ Pretty sure there is a 97 version available. It won't be free, but you'd have to judge it's value vs the amount of time it saves you. (I have no connection to FMS other than as a customer). It can create a x ref list of all object references w...

Linking userforms to Excell Worksheet
Hi I have created a userform with textboxes, radio buttons, check boxes etc. When a user opens the user form and fills it out i want the data to be entered in to certain columns in the excell worksheet. Any help would be highly appreciated. Regards shiv Hi SOmething like this in the userform module: R = 12 With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(1) .cells(R, 1).Value = Me.textbox1.Text .cells(R, 2).Value = Me.textbox2.Text .cells(R, 3).Value = Me.Optionbutton1.Value .cells(R, 4).Value = Me.Combobox1.Listindex ....and so on. HTH. Best wishes Harald "shivun pilwal" &l...

Will my 32-bit Add-in work in 64-bit Windows?
Hi, I have an Excel add-in that uses MSXML v3.0 for reading/writing XML files. It also uses a few libraries, including Microsoft Office Runtime, OLE Automation, Excel Object Library, etc. The add-in was developed in (and works fine on) Windows XP Professional (32-bit), Excel 2000. Would like to know if this add-in would work fine on a PC with Windows XP Professional (64-bit) and Excel 2000 (9.0.8980 SP-3). Will I have to modify any aspects of my code, such as the XML function calls? Thank you, Shankar ...

Link to a doc
I want to be able to have a document link to a contact. Every contact has an excel file that is saved on another server that contains there marks and I want to be able to attach the document. This would eliminate a step for my users. I also need to be able to open the document, post a mark and then be able to save and overwrite the original. Is this possible..... ...

How to create a field in a table whose value will be calculated
I could use some help in creating a field in a table the value of which would be the continuing balance of simple arithmetic operations such as: T(n) = T(n-1) A(n) - S(n) where T=Total, A=value in a field to be added, S=value in a field to be subtracted, and n=record number Does this make sense? Slipperyrock, If I understand you correctly you want a calculated field in a table... that would be a no can do BUT you can do it in a query. Now, you can simulate a table view using a query and a form. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been den...