Link to PDF - Need suggestions

I need to design an addition to my database that will allow me to 'link'
external PDF files to certain records.

What I want is to be able to run a dialogue box similar to the 'open file'
box found in most windows apps.  From there, a user could locate the PDF that
needs linking, click 'OK' and a path string to the location of the PDF would
be stored.

For the file strings that have been already stored in the database, I need
users to be able to click a button, etc, to launch an exterior app will open
the file located at the location pointed to by the path string.  If possible
I would like to avoid making references to any particular program as to
improve portability, but I don't know how to initiate this in Access.

Any info would be appreciated
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Go to www.mvpa.org/access and look at the first two articles in the API
section.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"JString" <JString@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to design an addition to my database that will allow me to 'link'
> external PDF files to certain records.
>
> What I want is to be able to run a dialogue box similar to the 'open file'
> box found in most windows apps.  From there, a user could locate the PDF
> that
> needs linking, click 'OK' and a path string to the location of the PDF
> would
> be stored.
>
> For the file strings that have been already stored in the database, I need
> users to be able to click a button, etc, to launch an exterior app will
> open
> the file located at the location pointed to by the path string.  If
> possible
> I would like to avoid making references to any particular program as to
> improve portability, but I don't know how to initiate this in Access.
>
> Any info would be appreciated

0
Steve

Typo alert:  that's www.mvps.org/access .

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
12/11/2009 9:39:04 PM
Take a look at

http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000007#images
or
http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000007#album

Although it show interacting with images, it is exactly the same for any
type of file, including PDFs.
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

"JString" wrote:

> I need to design an addition to my database that will allow me to 'link'
> external PDF files to certain records.
>
> What I want is to be able to run a dialogue box similar to the 'open file'
> box found in most windows apps.  From there, a user could locate the PDF that
> needs linking, click 'OK' and a path string to the location of the PDF would
> be stored.
>
> For the file strings that have been already stored in the database, I need
> users to be able to click a button, etc, to launch an exterior app will open
> the file located at the location pointed to by the path string.  If possible
> I would like to avoid making references to any particular program as to
> improve portability, but I don't know how to initiate this in Access.
>
> Any info would be appreciated
Thanks, Dirk!

"Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
>> Go to www.mvpa.org/access and look at the first two articles in the API
>> section.
>

> Typo alert:  that's www.mvps.org/access .
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Steve

does my app need to intercept wm_quit?
Hi, if I have a mfc thread that spawns a com object, does my thread need to intercept WM_QUIT in its message loop before passing it up the chain, that is if I have clean up code that needs to execute before shut down? Thx "alexl" <alextheblade@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187118207.055790.279580@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > if I have a mfc thread that spawns a com object, does my thread need > to intercept WM_QUIT in its message loop before passing it up the > chain, that is if I have clean up code that needs to execute before > shut dow...

Linking between two files
Hello Im building up a Excel ark to use whit Autodesk inventor, but i run into some problems. I have a main file there you designate the values needed in inventor. Then i need to extract these values to a new excel file which inventor get it�s data from. My problem is then i make a chain to the file from there inventor is taking the values i have to open that file to update it. Is there a way to update 3 files from one file whitout opening the 3 other files ? the Phantom -- The Phantom ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Phantom's Pro...

Your suggestion?
I'm writing a small program on Win32 MFC where user can login to do something. Now I would like to implement the automatic logout when the user is logged in and there was no mouse nor keyboard activity for e.g. 10 seconds? Since there is a lot WM_x messages that mouse and keyboard produces I could listen to it's to much work and probably not so elegant. Must I use keyboard and mouse hook for this or you think there is a better solution? How to know if my app was in idle time when it comes to user input? Thanks for help! "blue" <blue@blue.blue> wrote in messa...

hyperlink to adobe Pdf file
I enter a hyperlingk to an Adobe Pdf file that is on my computer in a cell, but it does not open the file, it just gives a blink and nothing happens. I tried this link in Outlook and it worked, and I tried inserting hypelinks in excel to word and other programs and it worked fine, I only have a problem to link an Adobe pdf file in Excel. Maybe it's not excel. A few people complained that the Reader appeared and then disappeared. So make sure you have the latest version of the software: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=2713&fileID=2551 Jacob wrote: >...

Keep Linked Data after Deleting Report
I'm making metrics for my group at work. I have downloaded/sorted each month's data & placed each month into a different tab on the same worksheet. On one tab I have created a chart that takes information from each month and measures it on the chart (using the COUNTIF function). Since this is the document that my team will be using...we will be deleting months as time goes on to make more room. However, in order to continue measuring the trend, we'd like the value for the the months that are outdated and we delete to remain. When I go to delete the tab with the data...

insert table into connecting text box w/link
How do I insert a rather large table (single column, many rows) into text boxes which overflow from page to page? You don't... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "display name" <display name@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B397C80A-B72D-4D1B-B106-E14E3222A331@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a rather large table (single column, many rows) into text > boxes which overflow from page to page? ...

configuation problem yahoo&hotmail any suggestions?
Every time I try to configure these two it wont connect. Any suggestions write me at jefferyphurm01@hotmail.com Questions asked in public are answered in public. You will need to consult their documentation about why you are having "unspecified" problems. We certainly can't help with the dearth of information you provided. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, jefferyphurm01 asked: | Every time I try ...

Need to print Cover Sheet for report.
Hi, I'm using Access via Office XP Pro. I am working on a government report. The first page of the report is a cover sheet / instructions and has nothing to do with the actual data other than it has to be the first page / coversheet to the report. Then I have the actual report which needs to have one footer at the end of the report which has the actual totals. I do not need a footer on each page, just the last page. Currently, I put the cover sheet in the Report Header. The cover sheet has our name, address, phone number, name of person submitting the report, and ...

Need help merging a CSV with SQL data
Hi there, I have a shop with an e-procurement site that allows me to update a price list by downloading a CSV file, making the changes, and then uploading it back into there system. The CSV file has the following headings: @UKID - there unique ID for each products Item Name - the name of the item Part NO - our unique ID for each product Price - the price for the product I have an SQL view that shows our unique ID (Part NO) and the price. How can I merge the CSV and the SQL view? Our system does not have the @UKID code, but I don't think it needs it if I can easily merge the 2 toget...

Link current query to a table?
I'm trying to create a cost estimate form, and I'm working on one underlying query to power it. Its based off a lot number. A certain digit in our lot number indicates the blend of the product. I have a table of blend codes and descriptions based on that digit. I have a column to calculate the blend code from the lot number but I am having no luck getting the description into either the query or the form. I have tried a Dlookup but I seem to have trouble getting it to refer back to the query that it is in. I know I could create another table of Lots and their associ...

Can you export a .pdf file into Visio?
The file was originally created in Visio, published as a pdf, and now I want to take it back into Visio --as an editable version. I've been able to snapshot the file and put it into Visio, but I'm not able to edit it. Any help would be great. Thanks!! "Visio Dummy" <Visio Dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42EA196B-5972-4892-9680-1221D1845E0D@microsoft.com... > The file was originally created in Visio, published as a pdf, and now I > want > to take it back into Visio --as an editable version. I've been able to > snapshot the f...

VISIO links don't work in IE7...
I have a website up for the past 2 years with webpage's published in VISIO.. they still work in IE6 but not IE7... I get an error when I click on any link, they all seem to point to http://*.*/vml_1.htm page. Also - in IE6 - I see a "#" symbol in the bottom left corner of my main Visio published webpage (status bar line) when I move my mouse over the link, I don't see that in IE7.. jiml Guys, Folks have had problems with these even with IE6 under circumstances that I can't remember (worth Googling the newsgroups for info!) One wild-ass guess: try changing t...

Need to delete autoshapes
I have a document with 1,000+ Autoshapes. I need to get the Autoshapes out of the doc because, though they are supposed to be WHITE and therefore NOT PRINT, they are printing BLACK!! (They are not visible on-screen.) Is there a way to globally search/replace or search/delete Autoshapes? They are not in the header/footer. I stupidly used Autoshapes (lines) as layout guides in a mail merged doc that, now print-ready, is 500 pages long and which cannot be rebuilt without considerable effort because many of the merge fields have been converted to images, many of which, in turn, we...

Word 2007 - 'save as PDF add-in'
I have a relatively simply docx document which has a single organizational chart. When I go to publish it as a PDF using the 'save as PDF add-in', the image quality is extremely poor! Missing lines, images are chalky... Is there a fix for this by any chance? Thank you, QB Low quality images can indeed be degraded further but the disappearance of entire lines is strange. What happens if you print the pdf to paper? Are the lines on the paper? Sometimes a pdf can have display issues with thin lines while they are actually there. Yves "QB" <QB@d...

2010 Beta: Wiki Linking (other than to page in same section?)
The wiki linking in ON2010 Beta is nice. One can easily create a new page in a section and have the link to it -- in one easy step. Can one use sytax to link/create a page in *another section* of a notebook? David ...

Showing Excel Cell Data in PDF Document
Hi, Everyone - I have a project that includes a pdf page as one of my worksheets. What I'm looking to do is to have cell data show in the pdf document. Is there an easy way to do that? Thanks Frank ...

Looking for suggestions on usage of Combobox with 50000 items or alternatives?
Loading up a combobox with 50,000 items is slow. Is there an alternative way to handle this situation more efficiently? Thanks. Look at CComboBox::InitStorage. joe On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:38:43 -0400, "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote: >Loading up a combobox with 50,000 items is slow. Is there an alternative way >to handle this situation more efficiently? > >Thanks. > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm 50000 items would be way to many for a user to scroll th...

Excel and Access Linking
I am interested in linking the two together for a project at work. I work for a construction company and I need to keep track our employees and the work they perform. I also need to do this for our subcontracted work also. We have about 95 clients and about 15 different crews in-house. I am looking for some good reference books or web site linkings on Access and Excel. I enjoy this forum nad have found many useful topics. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

PDF to Publisher
Can I convert a PDF file to Publisher? Not easily/exactly. I have software that would let me convert from .pdf to Word. I tried it with Publisher and the results were "eh". I would have been better off trying a copy and paste of the information. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "cuig" <cuig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D3F82B6-1CCB-4734-9C8B-79081B475BCD@microsoft.com... > Can I convert a PDF file to Publisher? Depends on what you're trying to accompl...

BIG PROBEM, URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have recently created a 158mb (approx.) document on Publisher 97 but to my surprise it now says, when I open it again, after saving it, "Can not open file" or sometimes the error reporting box comes up. Can you help me since this is quite urgent. Specifically what error are you getting? <daf@tbay100.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:000801c3ac5d$3fd89380$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently created a 158mb (approx.) document on > Publisher 97 but to my surprise it now says, when I open > it again, after saving it, "Can not open file" or > so...

Shared file links not updated when rows inserted in subfiles
We have one shared file which receives data from 20 subfiles via links with a relative reference. User A will open subfile 1 with the shared file. User B will open subfile 2 with shared file. User A inserts a row in subfile 1. User A saves subfile 1 and shared file. User B saves subfile 2 and shared file. Either user opens shared file. Link in shared file does not recognize the inserted row from subfile 1. Help! ...

Check Links #3
This was something that I used wonder about since quite long time. I got to see a superb stuff on this from Mariano today http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-does-check-links-work.html You can also read his post on the link below. Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP Must Read for everyone!! ...

Need a simple Secretaries Cash Book
I am trying to set up a simple secretaries cash book that would show cash recieved, cash paid to treasurer and warrents written. I need a few accounts for reciepts and disbursement tracking and running totals. Any Idea what would be the easiest way to do this. I am fairly decent using both Access and Excel, but couldn't decide how to begin. The templates are a bit advanced for what I want. Shaag, If you know MS Access then use that program. A database is what you should use for any kind of transaction processing. Regards, Stewart Rogers "shaag" wrote: > I am t...

Need formula to add numbers that meet two separate criteria from two separate columns
trying to get a SUMIF function working on an important costing repor Need to get the formula to add numbers that meet two separate criteri from two separate columns, and then only add the details I've onl beenn able to get one criteria working at a time. Also, one of them i a date criteria with month and year. plz let me know how i can work this around.. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com the Sumproduct() function will no doubt do what you want. Start with Going to Help. "mshroff" <mshroff.y9fkm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mshroff.y...

I need advice on budgeting for irregular income and vacations
im planning a trip to europe for summer 2004, i hope to go for 3 weeks. in planningg my budget i would like to see my actual account balances for the weeks in question but i cant actually do that because money assumes i will be getting paid during those weeks off (which i will not). Im using money 2000 deluxe, does anyone know how to solve this problem by deleting only specific future deposits under bills and deposits? thanks In M02 and up you could modify specific occurrences of scheduled items within the next 12. This can't be done in M2K. One way (works for cash flow, anyway) is...