Is Access the right program for our needs?

My company is in need of a data storage program that can merge information
into Microsoft Word documents. We need a few different libraries with contact
information for clients, companies, and third party contacts.
Next we either create a Word document or scan and convert a PDF to Word in
order to insert the Client's and/or Company's information in the designated
field locations.
We are hoping that we can import the Client's and/or Company's information
from a database(Access), and that we can set up the word doc (or template) so
that a different Company and Client can be inputted to the fields on a later
occassion.

Is this something Access can do? Or is there other software that can do this
for a smaller price?
--
David
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

I personnaly would use Access database with Word mail merge.  Data is loaded
in Access and pulled out using a query and the Word document.

Word Mail-Merge---  Open a blank Word document, click on menu TOOLS -
Letters and Mailings - Mail Merge.  It opens an additional window on the
right and has step-by-step instructions and choices.  You can also backup in
the process.

If you have Access try it.  Works fine for me.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"PotentialBuyer" wrote:

> My company is in need of a data storage program that can merge information
> into Microsoft Word documents. We need a few different libraries with contact
> information for clients, companies, and third party contacts.
> Next we either create a Word document or scan and convert a PDF to Word in
> order to insert the Client's and/or Company's information in the designated
> field locations.
> We are hoping that we can import the Client's and/or Company's information
> from a database(Access), and that we can set up the word doc (or template) so
> that a different Company and Client can be inputted to the fields on a later
> occassion.
>
> Is this something Access can do? Or is there other software that can do this
> for a smaller price?
> --
> David
From what you describe access is certainly an ideal application the use for
your particular needs.

It's not really quite clear if you have to have multiple users using the
system, or just a single user.

The number of users and your environment into where and what location,  who
and how these users will access this information is certainly going to
affect your decisions as to be access being an appropriate product for your
needs.

Furthermore, your details about scanning and converting a PDF to word is
certainly not what you're going to use MS access for.

However MS access is most certainly ideal who are taking information from a
particular customer and creating a PDF document, or filling out fields in a
word document.

I have a nice working sample that does a merge of the current record You're
viewing on a form to word.

The sample I have can be found here:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html

What is nice/interesting about my sample is that is specially designed to
enable ANY form with ONE LINE of code....

Thus, each time you build a new form, you can word merge enable it with
great ease.

Make sure you read the instructions from above, and you should eventually
get to the follwoing page
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/wordmerge/page2.html

Note that the merge can also use a query, and thus you don't have to merge
just "one" record..

After the merge occurs, you get a plain document WITHOUT any merge fields,
and this allows the end user to save, edit, or even email the document
(since the merge fields are gone after the merge occurs).

Give the above a try.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
12/13/2007 8:31:16 PM
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com> wrote:

>I have a nice working sample that does a merge of the current record You're
>viewing on a form to word.

I quite like Albert's working sample.  Well done!

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

access app as a service
Thanks in advance for your help. What is the easiest way to run an access app as a windows service? I'm looking for options. Thanks again. hi Lance, On 21.04.2010 16:37, Lance McGonigal wrote: > What is the easiest way to run an access app as a windows service? I'm > looking for options. There are some third-party tools which allows to run almost any executable as a service, but an Access application is not such an application. You may run Access using the Task Scheduler. btw, why do you want to do that? Maybe there are other options. mfG -->...

Grrr....Is this an Access 2007 thing?
I have no problem opening up a 2nd pop-up form that is linked to another form IF the record from the main form ISN'T new. However when it is new it NEVER will save the linked record in the 2nd form. This is what I mean. On the main form if you enter a new record, in this case a "Person", then click on a command button, it will open up a second linked form (it filters the 2nd form by it's "PersonID" ). Of course in this instance the 2nd form will open completely blank since there are not yet any related records. This 2nd form has the following code in it's "...

Quick Ribbon Access Bar
Hello from Steved I have a Macro Icon that I've created in Quick Ribbon Access Bar. A question please I have in the "Add In" created a Macro that when I push the Icon it works perfectly, what I would like to do please is build a macro that will operate this, yes I've turn on record macro to record the keystrokes to do this and named the macro "Test". When I push the "Test" macro Icon it does not work. Is it Possible please to have this to work. I thanyou. Tell us exactly what it is that you want to do. It is not clear from you pr...

setperm tool needed
Hello, I need to set read permissions on all calendars of exchange 5.5. Searching on the web pointed me to a freeware tool called SetPerm to be found on www.mailsoftware.co.uk/downloads.html This site is unavailable at the moment( dead?). Is there an alternative place to download the tool? please respond here or email me on gdemoor at hotmail.com thanks glenn Glenn <reply@inhe.re> wrote... > I need to set read permissions on all calendars of exchange 5.5. > Searching on the web pointed me to a freeware tool called SetPerm to be > found on www.mailsoftware.co.uk/downloads...

Problem with macros in Access 2000 on Windows XP
I am experiencing a problem with send object macro's in Access 2000 since my pc was upgraded to Windows XP. The macro runs but just stops with no error. When this happens NO macro's will run in Access2000. I must close Access2000 and re-open and then I can run the macro. This happens even if I create a new macro, still can not run it until I close out of Access and re-open....It's making me crazy....Any Ideas???? Meg Hi, Meg. > The macro runs but just stops > with no error. That's one of the problems with macros. There's no error handling. If you convert th...

Help
I am having a problem with adding a column of time values and need an experts help! Column b has the time in and is formated as Time 13:00. Column c has the time out and is formated as Time 13:00. Column d adds the total time which has a formula of - =if(c10>b10,c10-b10,1-(b10-c10)) Then I have Column d adding up to give me a total of time. It is formated as Number. The formula is g=sum(g8:g26)*24 This all works great as long as there is actual time entered. However when the cells in e & f as blank it still enters a total as it is taking it as 0:00 which it is counting it as 24:00 a...

ANN: DBForms from MS Access to ASP.NET + MS SQL v 1.0 released.
We are glad to announce the releases of our new product DBForms from MS Access to ASP.NET+MS SQL v.1.0.0. This tool allows you to convert mdb (Microsoft Access forms) to .aspx web pages + MS SQL back-end with AJAX support. Convert forms and their elements (Label, Image, OptionGroup, TextBox, ListBox, ComboBox, CommandBox and others) to Web page including element position, color pallet and fields type. Advanced customization options: - Rename caption forms - partial selection for database objects that will be converted. - detection of possible conversion errors at customization stage. Session...

Need extended range Calendar Control
There are still some mortgages being refinanced and closing which predate the minimum range of the CTime variable (1970) which is used in the MS common CMonthCalCtrl. For a variety of "political" reasons, I need to replace it with a more-or-less work-alike, i.e. a month-at-a-time control on which the user can select a date. For other political reasons, I can't use the Active-X control. Does anyone know of a source for a reasonably simple-to-use replacement? The date range I need has to cover the 20th and 21st centuries. TIA Norm mmm, doesn't come to my min...

novice SQL user needs help
Must be simple . . . I want to check for all items, where they have no supplier, and are in department KI, and put the supplier of 1810 on to them. I have used the following, but I get a syntax error. what went wrong? (I'm sure it's simple. Chris UPDATE Item SET Supplierid = '1810' WHERE supplierid = '', Departmentid ='KI'; BACKUP!!! I think you want this: UPDATE Item SET Supplierid = 1810 WHERE supplierid = '' AND Departmentid ='##' The problem you have is that KI is not a DepartmentID. You need to determine the ID number of...

New to Access 04-12-07
I know very little about Access, I have a Access 97 data base that when it starts up it turns off the number and caps lock on the keyboard. I need to have the numbers and caps lock on. Could you please tell me how to do this Thank You John "John" <BOSSJOHN@MSN.COM> wrote in message news:%23U357mJfHHA.4552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I know very little about Access, I have a Access 97 data base that when it >starts up it turns off the number and caps lock on the keyboard. I need to >have the numbers and caps lock on. Could you please tell me how to do this > T...

Office Clipboard task pane not accessible anymore
When running Word 2007 in the Home/Student edition in the past, I have been able to select the Clipboard dialog box launcher button from the Home tab in order to display the contents of the Office Clipboard. Also, I have been able to use the Office Clipboard to cut/copy/paste multiple items with the clipboard, as opposed to just using the Windows clipboard. Now, I am unable to view the Office Clipboard task pane anymore, so I can not see the contents of the clipboard. Furthermore, I am unable to Paste correctly the multiple contents of the clipboard. It just acts like the ...

Need transpose? help....
I have a spreadsheet with 151 columns by 49 rows of data. I need to transpose this data from its current state, to only 1 vertical column. How can I do this? Thks Off the top, untested With ActiveSheet LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row LastCol = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column For i = LastRow To 1 Step -1 For j = LastCol To 2 Step -1 .Rows(i + 1).Insert .Cells(i, j).Cut .Cells(i + 1, "A") Next j Next i End With -- ...

I need to add a comma after everything in a colum... how?
how do i do this... i have text in a series of cells in a colum... i want to add a comma after the text in each cell... the text is different in each cell.... how do i do this???? You could insert a column to the right and do something like =A1&"," ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "higman.schmidt" <higman.schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C230991-78F5-48E9-A2C4-029683F98662@microsoft.com... > how do i do this... > > i have text in a series of cells in a colum... i want to add a comma after > the text in each c...

format cells: decimal or integer needed
When I try to fromat a cell and want to change the category under the number tab I get an error message that tells me "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal may be required." Deciaml places is highlighted but when I enter any number in this field I get the same error message. I have to right click the title bar of the Format Cells window to close it. Sometimes I then get an Application Error- Error access violation(0xc0000005). Address:0x308047fe. How can I get rid of this bug? I'm not sure if this will work. But I tried this. I used a macro to format my ...

All Programs menu is missing program names
Hi, all of the programs in my Windows xp do not appear when I click on "all programs" It seems that the window cannot fit them all. How do I correct this? Thanks, Alcatt If the menu shows only one row of programs, you have an arrow below, click on that arrow to see the other programs. Or rightclick on the Start button > Properties > Start Menu tab > Customize > Advance tab, clear the checkbox "Scroll Programs". If you have multiple rows already you may have to organize your start menu by putting stuffs into folders. Heres how to do it: Do...

about selling a program again
soneone said that it ok to sell your program in excel, my follow up question is, what about the ligality? should i patent it or copyright it? Jeff gaje, phiippine -- Jeff_gaj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeff_gaje's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1497 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26747 Hi Jeff, In order to obtain valid patent protection it would be necessary for you to demonstrate, inter alia, that your Excel application comprises improvements on the state of...

Link A Scanned Insurance Application to Record In a Form In Access
I am trying to link a folder of scanned insurance applications that use SS #'s as file names. I would like for the form to automatically link the person that is currently showing in the form to their insurance app in the separate folder if an app is available for that person. Is there a way to link these without setting up a separate hyperlink for each file? I would like as apps are scanned in to automatically link with the person's SS # in the form. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you have too many files in a single folder Windows becomes extremely slow performing dir...

Can I access Outlook emails from different computers?
If my current computer that I have Outlook installed on breaks down, and I haven't backed up my emails, do I lose everything? Or can I access my account from another computer? That would depend on if you are storing your mail in .pst files or on an Exchange server. hth DDS W 2k MVP MCSE "ITLadee" <ITLadee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD1E71EC-9298-493D-9267-813BCFE20654@microsoft.com... > If my current computer that I have Outlook installed on breaks down, and I > haven't backed up my emails, do I lose everything? Or can I access my &g...

Using Excel GoalSeek on Access Form
XP Pro SP2, Access 2003 SP3. I'm looking to convert an Excel worksheet into an Access form. I have a strategy in mind for everything the worksheet does, except for the GoalSeek code behind one of the cells. Does anyone have experience with doing this sort of thing? I can supply additional details, including my VBA macro in the worksheet if that will help. -- Clif "Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe@nevergmail.com.invalid> schreef in bericht news:evgoepFmKHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > XP Pro SP2, Access 2003 SP3. > > I'm looking to c...

removing auto-format /smart quote characters from excel and access data
someone passed me an excel doc with all the smart quotes and microsoft auto-formatting turned on. i can't for the life of me get the auto-formatting out of those documents. - i have saved as text and opened in wordpad - i have tried opening word, turning off the autoformatting, pasting the text. - i have copied/pasted and sent to myself in an text email (the auto-formatting came out, but the text wrapping didn't) AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!! Hi Caitlin, if its a DOC it is a WORD document, if the extension is XLS then you are in the right NG. Please cofirm. Gilles Desjar...

put dissertation notes in access
I want to use access 2007 to organize my dissertation notes. I'm wondering what to use as the unique field since I will be using two main lists of ideas, but not always at the same table. Thanks for any advice. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:36:46 -0800, EdProf <EdProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Define "organize". Sounds that could be a fair amount of work for someone not focused on being a programmer. -Tom. >I want to use access 2007 to organize my dissertation notes. I'm wondering >what to use as the unique field since I will be using two main lists of &...

VLookUp needs helps
Hello all In a workbook, I have many worksheets. Each worksheet is a detail of a person with ID and grade. These worksheets are called "Detail worksheet". (for example, in a worksheet, cell A1 has 232 for ID and cell A3 has a grade of 9. In another worksheet, cell A1 has ID is 321 and cell A3 has a grade of 4) Also in that workbook, I have a separated worksheet with a list of people with their IDs and empty grades. This worksheet is called "Sumary worksheet" Now I want to input person's grade from each "Detail worksheet" for "Sumary worksheet". Do...

Custom Filter Help Needed
I'm trying to create a custom view that will show all (and only) calendar events that occur in the previous month. That is, all non-repeating events within the month, plus all recurring events that have an occurrence in the month (but no recurring events that do *not* have an occurrence in the month). For example, for October 2003 I would want to see my "Halloween Observed" event ("the last Friday of every 12 months effective 10/25/2002") but not my "MLK day event ("third Monday of every 12 months effective 1/20/2003"). It should include "d...

Circular Reference when opening program
When my program opens, I get a notice that there is a circular reference. My program automatically goes to a 'welcome sheet' when opening, and when I cancel the message, the welcome sheet appears, and I cannot figure out how to find that circular reference. The circular reference toolbar appears, but there is no cell displayed. It is a very large program, and seems to work well in general, but there are a lot of options and a lot of formulas and I do not know how to find the cell that is causing this error message. I do not know what page the reference is on, or if it is i...

Exchange 2003: How can I tell who has rights to send to a distribution group?
I have one user who claims that she has the rights to send to the 'all in the company' distribution group, which has hundreds of members. However, I always thought this right is set in the distribution group properties under Exchange General\Message Restrictions - Accept messages: Only from'. She is not listed under here and is not a member of any distribution group that is. Is this where the rights to send to a groups is set? I do not want to prove her wrong by asking her to send a test email to the DG, in case she succeeds and several hundred people get unsolicited spam. Cas ...