In a Report, how do I display the text not the ID value?

I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up organization
names from table#2.  When I include the organization field from table#1 in my
report, the report displays the numerical value stored in table #1 not the
actual text of the organization name stored in table#2.  How do I get the
report to display the text value from table #2?  I'm just getting started
with access and tried finding this in a book I have and on the help topics
but to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Sounds like you've used that misguided misfeature known as the Lookup Field
(see http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm at "The Access Web" for
some of the reasons why many of us feel this way)

You're going to have to create a query that joins together the two tables in
order to include the text from table#2, and then use that query as the
RecordSource for your report, rather than simply using table#1.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Rob T" <Rob T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up organization
> names from table#2.  When I include the organization field from table#1 in
> my
> report, the report displays the numerical value stored in table #1 not the
> actual text of the organization name stored in table#2.  How do I get the
> report to display the text value from table #2?  I'm just getting started
> with access and tried finding this in a book I have and on the help topics
> but to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0
Douglas
8/13/2007 5:08:14 PM
Rob T wrote:
> I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up
> organization names from table#2.  When I include the organization
> field from table#1 in my report, the report displays the numerical
> value stored in table #1 not the actual text of the organization name
> stored in table#2.  How do I get the report to display the text value
> from table #2?  I'm just getting started with access and tried
> finding this in a book I have and on the help topics but to no avail.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

    You need to mak sure you have a proper relationship set up between the
two tables and I suggest setting up a query including both related tables
and use that as your record source.

--
Joseph Meehan

 Dia 's Muire duit

0
Joseph
8/13/2007 5:09:35 PM
For the report's RecordSource use a query which joins the two tables on the
numerical ID number fields, and which includes the organization name from
table#2 as a column in the query's output.  You can then bind a control in
the report to the organization name column rather than the ID number.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Rob T" wrote:

> I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up organization
> names from table#2.  When I include the organization field from table#1 in my
> report, the report displays the numerical value stored in table #1 not the
> actual text of the organization name stored in table#2.  How do I get the
> report to display the text value from table #2?  I'm just getting started
> with access and tried finding this in a book I have and on the help topics
> but to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I did a query and it worked.

"Rob T" wrote:

> I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up organization
> names from table#2.  When I include the organization field from table#1 in my
> report, the report displays the numerical value stored in table #1 not the
> actual text of the organization name stored in table#2.  How do I get the
> report to display the text value from table #2?  I'm just getting started
> with access and tried finding this in a book I have and on the help topics
> but to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Category color changes when changing values.
When I copy a chart I get two identical ones. When I change the values of one of the charts and sort the values, Excel changes the colors of the categories to a preset order, so that the color of the biggest customer in chart 1 is not the same as this same customer (let's say now on the third place) in chart 2. Is there a way to prevent this? ...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Activity report
I'm trying to write a report showing completed activities for users and another for accounts (clients). Boy, is it ugly! In version 1.2, with Crystal Reports, the HTML emails looked just fine -- it would format the HTML with no problem. How do I get the same result with SSRS? (version 2000) Thanks, Karla you mean you are trying to report on the contents of an email activity? If so this cannot be done without some custom solution, its also logged as a bug. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP Web - http://www.crowecrm.com Blog - http://www.crowe...

CRM 4.0 Report Deployment
Hi When I deploy a custom report (through Web UI) and run it, no data is displayed. The report header, footer, etc, display, but there is no data. To simplify the problem I created a very simple report with no parameters, which selects all from filteredsystemuser, and the problem was the same. This is in a test VPC, the whole environment is contained in the VPC. I am developing/publishing/viewing as the CRM administrator. The steps I took were: - Created a new report in Business Intelligence Development Studio using Wizard (installed in VPC) - Created a new DataSet called dsTest with a new D...

Custom reports/queries across multiple companies in Business Porta
Is there any way to create a custom query or report that can be run inside Business Portal and which pulls figures from multiple Great Plains companies. Thank you. A View can be constructed in one database that pulls data from other databases. This view can then be used as the source for reports in tools like Crystal etc -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "KT" wrote: > Is there any way to create a custom query or report th...

importing multiple text files???
Hi, I am experiencing a big problem. As a part of my analysis for PhD I have to analyze more then 1000 files. The data that I have is in text files. To be more precise, I have 5 different data sets, from different meteo centres, each centre has a data set of 365 files for each day during the year. The format of text files is something as following: Camborne Met. Office WINDS rev 4.1 50.20 -5.30 88 02 01 01 00 00 23 0 29 3 35 07:09 (3.0) 07:09 (3.0) 06:08 (3.0) 284 284 65 65 400 400 23 23 12.5 12.5 1 1500 1500 35 35 400 400 43 90.0 43 74.5 313 74.5 HT SPD DIR Radials... 0.101 9.8 113 0.0...

Changing text size
Hi, We enter all our customers in our database in all caps (text) for the names, and addresses. But when you put in the zip code and the database auto finds the town and state it is put in upper, and lower case. Is there a way to change this default to all caps for the auto fill. I am experienced in editing xml. files ( just a note) Any help would be appreciated.....Dennis No, there's no way to change that in the front end, that's something that is happening at display time and is meant to make the data more readable. You could enter a suggestion on Customer Sou...

Failure to Display anything but Methods in Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.dll
I'm using both VS.NET and VS.NET 2003 to attempt to run the "Find all the Incidents for an Account or Contact" code on MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/crmsdk/htm /findallofthecasesassociatedwithanaccountorcontact.asp). I've added the reference to Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.dll and also have attempted to use the Microsoft.CRM.ComProxy.dll when the first failed. I am unable to compile as the C# compiler states that both ".Credentials" and ".Url" are not valid properties of the Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.BizUser class. I used the o...

Changing the Tooltip text in an SDI Toolbar
I've been trying to find a way to change the tootip info for a toolbar. Currently, I've tried getting the toolbar CToolBarCtrl and CToolTipCtrl objects but haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken If you are talking about tooltip info of a particular button on a toolbar, change it in resource editor by double clicking on the button and changing the text that appears at the bottom of the dialog. Text that appears before \n is tootip. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Ken Slight" <kslight@char...

Outlook failure to send Access reports
I email reports from Access using Outlook. At times, the email will hang up in my outbox and will not send even if I open it and try to send it manually. Any of you fine folks know what's going on and how to fix this? Thanks - Ken Smith -- KMS Technical Solutions ...

Net Worth Report: Investment Account cash compenent as a separate line item
Is there a way to get MS Money to combine the cash account associated with an Investment account with the investment account. For investment accounts, 2 lines are unnecessarily reported in the Networth report such as below. I want only one amount reported. Account Name X $x Account Name X (cash) $Y Using Money 2004. Thx Probably not. Money really does think these are two accounts. You could always copy the report to Excel where you could make it say anything you want. "Bill Toupee" <billtupea@domain.com> wrote in message news:hmnXf.210000$H%4.1...

How can I Enable a Check Box based on another fields value?
Hi There, I have a form with a disabled check box. I need to enable it when a certain value ("approved") is selected from a combo box. When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out. I am using Access 2003. Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work? Many thanks, David As you've discovered, Conditional Formatting isn't availabe to checkboxes. Try this: Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.YourComboBox = "Approved" Then YourCheckBox.Enabled = True Else YourChe...

Newbie: can't get a calculated value on the form?
I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I put a text box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error instead of the result. When I run the query, I get the correct result. Help, please? Ed "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1e7d27c-11d9-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have > a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I p...

Access Reports Disappear
I had a database that I had used for years with no problem. Lately I've noticed that some of the reports are disappearing. Yet, if I try to create a new report with the same name, Access says "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library." So, I created a new database. The only thing I imported was the tables from the old database. Yet, I'm having the same problem. Has anyone seen this before? Make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN OBJECTS set to YES. Then take a look around for those "missing" reports... "JG" wrote: > I had a da...

How to add summary fields to Group Footer in Access Reports?
How do you add a Summary fields to Group Footers in Access? I have a Detail field I want to Sum in the Group Footer in my report. -- Pat Dools ...

Graph Data Values
I am trying to create a pick and mix graph that shows forecast spen against actual spend by a selected business area. I somehow want to create a graph on the fly based on the selections fo example: If I choose company one and want to see the contracted data I want th graph to pick up the forcasted contracted Labour, Passthru and Othe and show the combined contracted actuals; See attached; and if i then choose company 2 then graph will pick up the releven ranges? HELP!! Attachment filename: help.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachmen...

Converting Values to Unicode Characters
The function CHAR converts a value in the range 1-255 to to an ANSI character. Is there a way to convert values in the range 1-65,342 to Unicode characters? -- Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com Columbus, Ohio You can use VLOOKUP but you'll have to create your own lookup table of the unicode characters and I think you'll have to paste it onto the same spreadsheet.... Maybe you can find a lookup table on the internet somewhere that you can easily paste into your spreadsheet. tsides <tsides@intelligentsystemsconsulting.com> wrote: > You can use VLOOKUP but y...

Passing Values from One Form to Another Including a Combo Box
Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to another by way of a command button. I have spent a week on various code taken from this site, but still no luck. Please ... someone help!! The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. On this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91. The command button is called Command119. The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits- Form. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter. Maurita ...

Pictures/Graphics won't display on website
Help, I'm new at this and have problem getting my website that I created in Publisher posted to web. The site will appear when I copy the index.htm file using my ISP file manager but not sure where the index_file folder and related graphics/pics need to be copied to. I tried creating a folder for index_file and copied all the files there that appear on my c drive when I published to the web. But all that displays are the alternate text for each pic/graphic. Any suggestions? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Saving report as document
Hi How can I save output of a report to disk as a word document via code? Many Thanks Regards "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:eGYJfb26HHA.4252@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > > How can I save output of a report to disk as a word document via code? > Use the OutputTo action (in a macro) or method (in VBA code.) Choose Rich Text as the format. It saves in RTF format, which Word can open. Note that RTF loses graphical elements (e.g. logo, lines, check boxes.) You can get lines by using the underscore character in a label. You can get check ...

Cash-Basis Reporting using GP Analytical Accounting
We are a new GP 8 customer, still in the process of implementation, migrating from QuickBooks Pro. We are a non-profit and have unique reporting needs for our board and donors. We switched from cash-basis to accrual accounting about 2 years ago. However, a lot of our reports are still run on a cash-basis level, we need to be able to report on a cash basis as well as accrual basis. I know ther eis a cash-basis tool add-on for GP from AIM technologies. But I was wondering if the GP Analytical Accouning or multidimensional module would give us the same functionality and flexibility in g...

ap credit memos related to checks on historical reports
we modified our check stub so that fully applied credit memos and the original unapplied invoice amounts appear on checks stubs. good so far. now we'd like to be able to run reports after-the-fact showing this same relationship between check, fully applied credit memo, and fully applied invoice. is this possible? Is there a table that contains the linkage between the applied credit memo and the check we placed it on? I'm beginning to suspect there is no direct link between check and credit memo, and we must use the apply date as a proxy for this link, however doing so would...

45 Degree Angled Text & Fill Option
I have Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) running on XP and I'm wondering if this is a bug or not. If you have text in the first Row and you set it to 45 degrees angled, if you try and fill different cells with different fill colors, sometimes the box will fill angled, othertimes straight up and down. As a simple test, try creating a blank worksheet and make the first 3 columns 35 each in width and 100 in height. The type some text in each of the cells - not too much. Now select all 3 cells and format their alignment to 45 degrees. Now pick each one of the cells and fill each with a different ...

Text in pivot table limited to 255 characters
I am using a pivot table as an efficient way to aggregate text responses from a large data set. However, the pivot table cuts off the text after the first 255 characters (similar to when you copy a worksheet by using the move/copy option). How can I overcome this? I have tried putting the pivot table on the same sheet as the dataset, but that does not work. I should also note that these pivot tables are then fed into an automated report through a complicated set of VLOOKUPs, etc. The pivot table aggregates several questions and responses from many areas of the datset into one discr...

Count Text Data
Using 2007 on Vista If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in them per column? Many thanks =COUNTA(A2:A200) will count everything except blanks post back if you have numbers as well that should not be counted -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom <weewillie@anon.com> wrote in message news:lfm764d39m4prld1iiqllpjuen7a1eptoq@4ax.com... > Using 2007 on Vista > > If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there > is a blank, what formula do I use to count...