Importing multiple csv files

I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as different
tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name be in
capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now by
importing one file at a time.

thanks
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
TransferText to import each table.

Dim strFolder As String
Dim strFile As String
Dim strTable As String

  strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
  strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
  Do While Len(strFile) > 0
' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
    strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
    DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
      strFolder & strFile, True
    strFile = Dir()
  Loop

The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each file
has the field names as the first row.

Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I can't
imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables in
an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they actually
be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing the
source?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as different
> tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name be
> in
> capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now by
> importing one file at a time.
>
> thanks

0
Douglas
12/11/2007 9:56:26 PM
I am using the "|" as the delim how can i add this to this function and to
answer i dont know why my boss wants all the csv files in different tabel.
also all the fields in the csv file are to be imported as text.

Thanks

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
> That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
> TransferText to import each table.
>
> Dim strFolder As String
> Dim strFile As String
> Dim strTable As String
>
>   strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
>   strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
>   Do While Len(strFile) > 0
> ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
>     strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
>     DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
>       strFolder & strFile, True
>     strFile = Dir()
>   Loop
>
> The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each file
> has the field names as the first row.
>
> Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I can't
> imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables in
> an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they actually
> be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing the
> source?
>

> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as different
> > tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name be
> > in
> > capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now by
> > importing one file at a time.
> >
> > thanks

If you've using | as a delimiter, it's not a csv file! csv stands for
"comma-separated values".

Is each table the same format? If so, you can create a specification (by
manually importing one of the files and going through the Import Text
wizard).

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

>I am using the "|" as the delim how can i add this to this function and to
> answer i dont know why my boss wants all the csv files in different tabel.
> also all the fields in the csv file are to be imported as text.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
>
>> You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
>> That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
>> TransferText to import each table.
>>
>> Dim strFolder As String
>> Dim strFile As String
>> Dim strTable As String
>>
>>   strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
>>   strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
>>   Do While Len(strFile) > 0
>> ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
>>     strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
>>     DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
>>       strFolder & strFile, True
>>     strFile = Dir()
>>   Loop
>>
>> The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each
>> file
>> has the field names as the first row.
>>
>> Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I
>> can't
>> imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables
>> in
>> an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they
>> actually
>> be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing
>> the
>> source?
>>

>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as
>> >different
>> > tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name
>> > be
>> > in
>> > capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now
>> > by
>> > importing one file at a time.
>> >
>> > thanks

0
Douglas
12/12/2007 6:45:22 PM
Well the extension of the file ends with a csv and what you did with it just
imported the names of the files in the table but failed to import the data.
If i am doing it in access i can chose delim in the other field as "|" to get
the data in the right format in the table.  my question is if its not comma
as delim can we chose
"|" ?  also they are not in the same format and cant get that done.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> If you've using | as a delimiter, it's not a csv file! csv stands for
> "comma-separated values".
>
> Is each table the same format? If so, you can create a specification (by
> manually importing one of the files and going through the Import Text
> wizard).
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using the "|" as the delim how can i add this to this function and to
> > answer i dont know why my boss wants all the csv files in different tabel.
> > also all the fields in the csv file are to be imported as text.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
> >
> >> You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
> >> That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
> >> TransferText to import each table.
> >>
> >> Dim strFolder As String
> >> Dim strFile As String
> >> Dim strTable As String
> >>
> >>   strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
> >>   strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
> >>   Do While Len(strFile) > 0
> >> ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
> >>     strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
> >>     DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
> >>       strFolder & strFile, True
> >>     strFile = Dir()
> >>   Loop
> >>
> >> The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each
> >> file
> >> has the field names as the first row.
> >>
> >> Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I
> >> can't
> >> imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables
> >> in
> >> an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they
> >> actually
> >> be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing
> >> the
> >> source?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> >> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> >> (no private e-mails, please)
> >>

> >> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You didn't answer the question.

Is each table the same? If so, you can create a specification and use that
specification in the TransferText statement.

If not, I believe you can go into the registry and change the Format key
under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text from the default
CSVDelimited to Delimited(|). Note, though, that I haven't actually tested
this.

--

> Well the extension of the file ends with a csv and what you did with it
> just
> imported the names of the files in the table but failed to import the
> data.
> If i am doing it in access i can chose delim in the other field as "|" to
> get
> the data in the right format in the table.  my question is if its not
> comma
> as delim can we chose
> "|" ?  also they are not in the same format and cant get that done.
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
>
>> If you've using | as a delimiter, it's not a csv file! csv stands for
>> "comma-separated values".
>>
>> Is each table the same format? If so, you can create a specification (by
>> manually importing one of the files and going through the Import Text
>> wizard).
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>

>> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using the "|" as the delim how can i add this to this function and
>> > answer i dont know why my boss wants all the csv files in different
>> > tabel.
>> > also all the fields in the csv file are to be imported as text.
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
Douglas
12/12/2007 7:48:59 PM
Your answer helps me as well.  But instead of multiple tables, I want 200
excel spreadsheets (.csv) into one access db.

How can I use VBA to do this?

Thanks!
Dave

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
> That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
> TransferText to import each table.
>
> Dim strFolder As String
> Dim strFile As String
> Dim strTable As String
>
>   strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
>   strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
>   Do While Len(strFile) > 0
> ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
>     strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
>     DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
>       strFolder & strFile, True
>     strFile = Dir()
>   Loop
>
> The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each file
> has the field names as the first row.
>
> Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I can't
> imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables in
> an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they actually
> be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing the
> source?
>

> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as different
> > tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name be
> > in
> > capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now by
> > importing one file at a time.
> >
> > thanks

Rather than importing, I'd recommend that inside the loop you link to the
spreadsheet, run an Append query to take the data from the linked table to
the actual table then delete the linked table. If you use the same name for
the linked table each time, your Append query is simpler.

  strTable = "TemporaryTable"
  strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
  strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
  Do While Len(strFile) > 0
 ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
    DoCmd.TransferText acLinkDelim,, strTable, _
      strFolder & strFile, True
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs("NameOfAppendQuery").Execute, dbFailonError
    CurrentDb.TableDefs.Delete strTable
    strFile = Dir()
  Loop

--

"dbsavoy" <dbsavoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Your answer helps me as well.  But instead of multiple tables, I want 200
> excel spreadsheets (.csv) into one access db.
>
> How can I use VBA to do this?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
>
>> You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function.
>> That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use
>> TransferText to import each table.
>>
>> Dim strFolder As String
>> Dim strFile As String
>> Dim strTable As String
>>
>>   strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\"
>>   strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.csv")
>>   Do While Len(strFile) > 0
>> ' Strip the .csv from the end of the file name
>>     strTable = UCase(Left$(strFile, Len(strFile) - 4)
>>     DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim,, strTable, _
>>       strFolder & strFile, True
>>     strFile = Dir()
>>   Loop
>>
>> The "True" at the end of the TransferText statement assumes that each
>> file
>> has the field names as the first row.
>>
>> Note, though, that this is an EXTREMELY unusual thing to have to do. I
>> can't
>> imagine any legitimate case where you'd be creating 3000 different tables
>> in
>> an application in this way. What are the 3000 tables? Should they
>> actually
>> be in a single table, with an additional field in the table representing
>> the
>> source?
>>

>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as
>> >different
>> > tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name
>> > be
>> > in
>> > capital.  is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now
>> > by
>> > importing one file at a time.
>> >
>> > thanks

0
Douglas

Help Urgent!! Replying with multiple mailboxes
I have a client with 9 domains and is able to download to the them all and route to her mailbox. the question i want answered, is there any posible way she can reply via each of those mail accounts. like for example, if she has abc.com, adb.co.uk, abv.de, how does she reply with each of them individually or choose which one to use. thanx Look into this: http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml Nue "eamon" <eamon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DD235D-0ED6-434D-A730-CB8DC7AE627D@microsoft.com... >I have a client with 9 domains and is able to download...

msnpst files
All: Does anyone have any tips on opening an MSN local folder -- .msnpst -- with Outlook? I can open regular .pst files but Outlook won't recognize the .msnpst files that MSN mail creates. Thanks, John you need to add an account using the msn connector then try closing outlook and replacing the new pst it creates with the old one by renaming the pst's. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: htt...

one code to do multiple things
hi, i have the code below which takes the value in cell U17 everytime it changes, and places it in column A on a sheet called graphs thereby forming a list down the sheet of all the values that appear in cell U17, for charting purposes. What i would like to do is to be able to duplicate this for different cells. ie have the cell values of W25 appear in a list in column K on the graphs sheet, and so on. this code was written for me by someone else as, could you please give me some code that will enable me to capture the values for two or three cells in sheet1 into the sheet cal...

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

RMS needs to add an Import Utility to the program
I think I speak for alot of people here. RMS should add an import Utility to the program. Every body needs to import some type of file from time to time. You pay enoght money for this and they know from the start that you will be importing data from your old POS system. Or like in my case, every year I have new items or a new supplier. and for me to get an Add in that may or maynot work is not good enoght. Jose -- Reynold Cycle I agree totally but, for me, the main attraction of RMS over similar solutions was the open SQL Server database and the ability to customise. You can downlo...

posting multiple worksheet .xls on webpage
I've run into a slight problem trying to post an excel spreadsheet to a webpage. The spreadsheet has 6 worksheets. I've placed a link to the .xls file in the webpage. If the user clicks on the link (to open the file), he/she only sees the first worksheet. If, however, he/she downloads the file by right-clicking the link and choosing to save the file, the entire file is downloaded, and the user can then see all worksheets. Why is this occurring, and what can I do to change this behavior? Thanks, Steve -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com...

Temporary Excel files.
Hi, does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing multiple opened copies of the same workbook? Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but Excel? Thanks in advance for the answers. Alex On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows temp folder. But I think it does more than just that. (Just guessing!) When the workbook is on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second person the the file is in use. If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the seco...

Outlook 2000, large pst file slow to open or corrupt
Hi, this is a very frustratring problem I hope someone canhelp us with. I've established that the outlook.pst file is either too large of corrupt. I've run scanpst which found no problem, the pst file is 2gb! should this cause a problem? I can't reduce the size of the file, although is will open, it won't let me delete of move anything or even archive - reporting that it can;t access the pst file although I can open it and browse contacts and messages (it's very slow doing this though) How can I reduce the size of this file in another way? See if this info helps: http:...

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

Multiple Servers?
Can FRX pull data from multiple servers which are physically sitting in different locations? My company has done an acquisition. Does all of the GL data need to be sitting on the same server or can I consolidate financial statements from servers that are sitting in different cities? Thanks. Yes, It is possible to do a consolidation with data coming from different servers. In the System Specific tab of the company setup, you would require different DSNs (Data Source Names) for each server. However you mention that the servers are in different cities, so unless you have a fast link be...

multiple mail accounts/default and others
I have two mail accounts set up in my OL98/WinXP. I receive mail from both accounts but normally only send mail from my primary account which is also set as my default. But occassionally I will get mail on the secondary account (which is primarily an incoming mail only) that I want to reply to. But I find that when I reply to that incoming mail and then send/receive using that secondary (non-defualt) account the mail is not sent and remains in my outbox. But I've also tried to forward that message (rather than reply) and insert the reply to address in the to: field and use my primary (defa...

Splitting a single row into multiple copies
I have a very weird situation that I'm hoping some of you might have seen (and possibly resolved). We're migrating data from one system to another and the business rules have changed. System 1 allowed a user to create a record for an item with a quantity > 1. System 2 doesn't permit a quantity > 1 for certain items. Is there a way to create multiple rows in the source table (or an intermediate table) based on a list of item types which are not allowed to have a quantity > 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Joel j_racicot@hotmail.com wrote: >I have a very...

Try these important update
--aggpexytarh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ovpxzxjley"; type="multipart/alternative" --ovpxzxjley Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="prvgddqc" --prvgddqc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your c...

Outlook 2007 long delay when attaching a file
Hi group, I have a long delay (about a minute) when attaching a file. Outlook freezes for a minute before Browse for a file dialog appears. Configuration: Windows 7 x64 BitLocker is enabled Domain joined computer Outlook 2007 SP2 Outlook uses Exchange Server 2007 Any ideas? BR, Mindaugas Do you have mapped drives? That will add a delay. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.ne...

Saving files as JPG
Often when I save a logo and/or a flyer in publisher and then save it as a jpg for bi print jobs there is a LINE along the side of the piece ... any ideas of how to get rid of it or WHAT might cause it? This happens once in a while, never have figured out why. You can open the image in Paint; erase the line. Or crop it out when you use the image in Publisher. Do you get the line if you save the picture as a .png or .tif? -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Greetings&Salutations" <Greetings&Salutations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Merge file pairs
I have several hundreds of pairs of files (file1 in one subfolder i paired to file1 in second subfolder) where I need to open the pair copy arange (columns a to e) from one file to the other, then save an close the files. Then loop on to the next pair in the list. Has anyon done this? Can you point me to examples? I've looked at several we sites (debruin, for ex.) but cannot find exactly what I need. Al suggestions welcome -- rroac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rroach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Quicken to Money 2006 import issues
I tried the import wizard for the Money 2006 trial edition to get 5 years worth of data from my quicken 2003 data file and Money had issues with the file and wouldn't import. I did find I could export the quicken file as a qif and then import it into Money, but there are still some issue: 1. my expense catagories need to be applied to each transaction again 2. All the transaction are marked with a status of (E) when they all but the most recent should be marked as reconciled (R). If the only way around this is to change each transaction manually, I guess I'll have to do it (5...

double address import check
Hi, Microsoft CRM has a nice function to import new addresses into CRM. Only minus is that it won't check for double addresses. I'm curious if someone has a great solution for this. Some nice MS CRM add-on which can check if their are possible double addresses in the database. kind regards, Michel www.notetaker.nl version 3 will have some nice features for identifying and merging duplicate records. Dave "Michel//www.notetaker.nl" <info@nospamnotetaker.nl> wrote in message news:ex%236GQMpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Microsoft CRM has a ...

Importing and assigning ownership to crm user
Hi there, I am importing data into CRM database using Scribe software, source data is also on SQL tables. Importing works perfectly using scribe adaptor. But I want to assign ownership to the imported records. I am not sure where the owner ID and Owner names are stord in the CRM tables. Can anybody help? Regards, Kyaw You need to set the OwningUser filed to the unique identifiier of the system user. You can find the unique identifiier values in the Systemuserbase table under the systemuserid column. Laz "Kyaw" <no@spam.net> wrote in message news:%23zeRN6P0EHA.345...

Can't find the file in Excel unless I open it from Excel
Can't find the file in Excel unless I open it from Excel -------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a stange problem that has just started. I am running Windows XP and Office XP. If I click on an Excel file in my folders in explorer, it will open Excel and an error message comes up telling me it can't find the file and to check the path and folder. Once I click out of the message the file sometimes is already open. I have no problems if I open Excel first then open a file - it is driving me crazy, please help. Tr...

Huge "empty" excel 97 file !!
I still have files of up to 4MB, after deleting the contents of a 16MB excel 97 file then saving !!! Details:- (1)If I select the whole worksheet (by clicking on the blank cell in the top left corner of the worksheet) (2)then I click on EDIT and then on DELETE. (3)repeat 1&2 for any other sheets (4)Then click on FILE, then SAVE AS a new name Windows explorer shows that the new file can be up to 4MB. This is very frustrating if I am trying to reduce the size a file so that it fits onto a floppy disc. This problem occurs with a number of my excel files. How can I get rid of this invis...

Password to open file
How do you make file only open after you enter a password? dcknie, file save as, tools, general options enter password to open, this is for excel 2003 its a little different in other versions but that should get you there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "dcknie" <dcknie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D21B2C37-1877-4357-A756-35470C31EDC7@microsoft.com... > How do you make file only...

file
I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and somehow has an error message on it that it will not save because locked by another station. I have done everything from trying to find out who last used it to deleting it and starting over and nothing works. PLEASE HELP amy Maybe Debra Dalgleish has the answer: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen amy wrote: > > I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and > somehow has an error message on it that it will not save > because locked by a...