Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...

Hello all,

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same
30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row
2 below the Header contains the data I want to import.  Instead, of
physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops
through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header.
When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in
this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name
manually it works.  This what I have:

Dim iColumn As Integer
Dim FieldName As String
Dim FieldData As String

Dim AccessDB As Database
Dim AccessRecordSet As Recordset

Set AccessDB = OpenDatabase("C:\MyDataBase.mdb")
Set AccessRecordSet = AccessDB.OpenRecordset("MyTable", dbOpenDynaset)

With AccessRecordSet
    .AddNew
        For iColumn = 1 To 30
            FieldName = Cells(1, iColumn).Value
            FieldData = Cells(2, iColumn).Value
            ![FieldName] = FieldData
        Next iColumn
    .Update
End With

Again, if change:   ![FieldName] = FieldData   to, let's say:   !
[Customer] = FieldData  , then it works fine (but then it would only
import into the database on that particular field 30 times).

Do I need to reset my FieldName variable to something other than
String?  I've tried even rewriting the code to the following but that
didn't work either:

![ & "FieldName" & ] = FieldData

0
Hendy88
4/11/2007 1:58:38 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

instead of
![FieldName] = FieldData

try this:
..Fields(FieldName) = FieldData

~~~

the reason it stops at 30 time is because of this line:
For iColumn = 1 To 30

~~~

it would be good to change:
Dim AccessRecordSet As Recordset

to:
Dim AccessRecordSet As dao.Recordset

~~~

Warm Regards,
Crystal
  *
      (:  have an awesome day  :)
   *
MVP Access
Remote Programming and Training
strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com
   *

Hendy88@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same
> 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row
> 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import.  Instead, of
> physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops
> through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header.
> When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in
> this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name
> manually it works.  This what I have:
>

> Dim iColumn As Integer
> Dim FieldName As String
> Dim FieldData As String
>
> Dim AccessDB As Database
> Dim AccessRecordSet As Recordset
>
> Set AccessDB = OpenDatabase("C:\MyDataBase.mdb")
> Set AccessRecordSet = AccessDB.OpenRecordset("MyTable", dbOpenDynaset)
>
> With AccessRecordSet
>     .AddNew
>         For iColumn = 1 To 30
>             FieldName = Cells(1, iColumn).Value
>             FieldData = Cells(2, iColumn).Value
>             ![FieldName] = FieldData
>         Next iColumn
>     .Update
> End With
>

> Again, if change:   ![FieldName] = FieldData   to, let's say:   !
> [Customer] = FieldData  , then it works fine (but then it would only
> import into the database on that particular field 30 times).
>
> Do I need to reset my FieldName variable to something other than
> String?  I've tried even rewriting the code to the following but that
> didn't work either:
>
> ![ & "FieldName" & ] = FieldData

0
strive4peace

Reporting from Project Server

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

get a result of an sql into a field

learning Excel #3

How to create an autonumber field?

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

form fields not saving to table

Access to User Calendar

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

How to import images from Publisher into Picture Manager?
I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office picture manager. How do I do this? Find the source of those images and save them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Heatherwithaheadache" <Heatherwithaheadache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B1DFC9-0639-49BA-8614-A5AC0DDB596D@microsoft.com... >I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office > picture manager. How do I do this? Right-click the picture, save as picture, or copy/paste to a folder. The Picture Manager will search for al...