Import data from excel - how to generalize ???

I am a beginner in ACCESS. I have imported a table of transactions which
contains unique doctor, unique practice and referrals (business transaction).
I have created a unique doctor table with unique doctor ID and I have also
create a separate unique table for practice with unique practice ID. I don't
know how to connect the unique DOCTOR ID & unique PRACTICE ID into the
transaction table, originally the transaction table has the doctor's name and
practice's name. Can someone guide me the steps. Thanks.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:29:01 -0800, Muichoi
<Muichoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am a beginner in ACCESS. I have imported a table of transactions which
>contains unique doctor, unique practice and referrals (business transaction).
>I have created a unique doctor table with unique doctor ID and I have also
>create a separate unique table for practice with unique practice ID. I don't
>know how to connect the unique DOCTOR ID & unique PRACTICE ID into the
>transaction table, originally the transaction table has the doctor's name and
>practice's name. Can someone guide me the steps. Thanks.

You will need to add a DoctorID and/or PracticeID into the transactions table
(not just the names; in fact the names should eventually be removed from the
transactions table!)

Please post the actual structures (fieldnames and datatypes) of your tables
and indicate what information they currently contain.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/21/2007 8:02:16 PM
Hi John,

Thank you for your response, it is my objective to replace the doctor's name
and practice with respective IDs. However, I don't know the steps on how to
replace the doctor & practice names with ID in the transaction file.
Following are the field names, data type and a sample of the data. There is
no primary key to the transaction file which I need to define.

Field: Data Type: Data

Name:  TEXT: Patient Last, Patient First
ABC Medical Record #: TEXT: 1234567
DEF Medical Record #:
DOB:01-Jan-89
Service:	Ped Chest
Procedure: Ped Chest
RefDate: 01-Mar-04
ApptDate: 04-Mar-04
Practice: ABC Health Network Medical Center
Provider: Abad , Edda
Last Name: ABAD
First Name	: EDDA
ResTime: 0
CHN Category: CHN HHC
Referring Facility: ABC
Level: 1

Thanks.
Felix

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:29:01 -0800, Muichoi
> <Muichoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am a beginner in ACCESS. I have imported a table of transactions which
> >contains unique doctor, unique practice and referrals (business transaction).
> >I have created a unique doctor table with unique doctor ID and I have also
> >create a separate unique table for practice with unique practice ID. I don't
> >know how to connect the unique DOCTOR ID & unique PRACTICE ID into the
> >transaction table, originally the transaction table has the doctor's name and
> >practice's name. Can someone guide me the steps. Thanks.
>
> You will need to add a DoctorID and/or PracticeID into the transactions table
> (not just the names; in fact the names should eventually be removed from the
> transactions table!)
>
> Please post the actual structures (fieldnames and datatypes) of your tables
> and indicate what information they currently contain.
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:31:00 -0800, Muichoi
<Muichoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>Thank you for your response, it is my objective to replace the doctor's name
>and practice with respective IDs. However, I don't know the steps on how to
>replace the doctor & practice names with ID in the transaction file.
>Following are the field names, data type and a sample of the data. There is
>no primary key to the transaction file which I need to define.

Comments inline.

>Field: Data Type: Data
>
>Name:  TEXT: Patient Last, Patient First

Two problems here: NAME is a reserved word and should not be used as a field
name; and you're really best off using separate FirstName/LastName fields. You
can use expressions like

LastName: Left([Name], InStr([Name], ",") - 1)
FirstName: Trim(Mid([Name], InStr([Name], ",") + 1))

to extract the two name fields.

>ABC Medical Record #: TEXT: 1234567

Would this be a unique identifier for the patient? or for the visit? or is it
something else?

>DEF Medical Record #:

What's this? blank in all records? is it needed?

>DOB:01-Jan-89

This should be put into a Date/Time field in the Patients table; is it Text
now?

>Service:	Ped Chest
>Procedure: Ped Chest

You'll need a table of Services and perhaps a table of Procedures. Aren't
there standard insurance-company codes for the various services?

>RefDate: 01-Mar-04
>ApptDate: 04-Mar-04

Date/Time fields in the transaction table again

Maybe a small lookup table of status values

>Practice: ABC Health Network Medical Center
>Provider: Abad , Edda
>Last Name: ABAD
>First Name	: EDDA

The Provider field is redundant and should be eliminated from the final
product - you can easily concatenate the first and last names.

>ResTime: 0
>CHN Category: CHN HHC

Is this one category, or two?

>Referring Facility: ABC

Do you need a table of facilities?

>Level: 1

How are Providers related to Practices? Might one doctor work with two or more
practices, or does each doctor work for only one at a time? How about over
time: if a service were provided on one date by Dr. Abad when she was working
for ABC, and another service at a later date when she'd transferred to Edda
Abad LLC, would you want to track the Practice separately from the
practicioner?

Very importantly here: since this table will contain sensitive patient health
record data, are you aware of the very stringent HIPAA patient-privacy and
database security and validation requirements? There's some question whether
Access is even *capable* of providing the security required by these laws.
Does your budget or insurance cover the $100,000 plus fines for violations?

BUT.... to answer your question directly - you could create tables for
Practice and Practicioner:

Transactions
  TransactionID <Autonumber, Primary Key>
  PatientID <link to Patients, who was seen>
  PractitionerID <by whom>
  PracticeID <where>
  RefDate
  ApptDate
  Status
  Comments
  <Other fields as appropriate pertaining to the individual visit>

Practices
  PracticeID <Autonumber, Primary Key>
  PracticeName <Text>

Practicioners
  PracticionerID <Autonumber, Primary Key, or perhaps Text, Primary Key if you
have each doctor's tax ID or other unique identifier>
  LastName
  FirstName
  PracticeID <Long Integer, link to Practices>
  <other biographical data as needed>

Patients
  PatientID <Text, Primary Key, maybe your Medical Record #>
  LastName
  FirstName
  <etc>

<other tables as needed>

You can run Append queries selecting the existing data. Set the query's Unique
Values property to Yes so that each record will be unique. This will cause
problems when you have (say) two different patients who happen to have the
same name - Jim Smith and his father Jim Smith, perhaps. These will need to be
manually identified.

To get the PatientID into the Transactions table, TEMPORARILY put a unique
Index on the combination of FirstName and LastName in Patients. Create an
Update query joining the (filled) Patients and Transactions tables, joining
firstname to firstname, lastname to lastname. Run an Update query updating the
long integer PatientID foreign key to the autonumber value from the Patients
table (which will have been filled in by the append query). Do the same for
Practices and Practicioners.

IF - and I'd say it's a big If, given HIPAA - you want to proceed with this
(rather than buying one of the many good clinic practice databases already on
the market) and you need more help, don't hesitate to post back.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/21/2007 9:51:08 PM
John,
This is tremendously helpful!!! Yes, I am aware of HIPPA compliance. This
database is used to house the transactions for internal analysis use only.
The data I provided has been changed to protect all parties.

I am in process re-building all the tables correctly for better analysis.
For doctor table - A doctor can belongs to multiple practices. For practice -
a practice can have multiple doctors. I am starting with these 2 tables first
and move my way to other tables.

I will try your suggestion in the meantime. Many thanks...Happy holidays.

Felix

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> [...]
> same name - Jim Smith and his father Jim Smith, perhaps. These will need to be
> manually identified.
>
> To get the PatientID into the Transactions table, TEMPORARILY put a unique
> Index on the combination of FirstName and LastName in Patients. Create an
> Update query joining the (filled) Patients and Transactions tables, joining
> firstname to firstname, lastname to lastname. Run an Update query updating the
> long integer PatientID foreign key to the autonumber value from the Patients
> table (which will have been filled in by the append query). Do the same for
> Practices and Practicioners.
>
> IF - and I'd say it's a big If, given HIPAA - you want to proceed with this
> (rather than buying one of the many good clinic practice databases already on
> the market) and you need more help, don't hesitate to post back.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:11:00 -0800, Muichoi
<Muichoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>John,
>This is tremendously helpful!!! Yes, I am aware of HIPPA compliance. This
>database is used to house the transactions for internal analysis use only.
>The data I provided has been changed to protect all parties.
>
>I am in process re-building all the tables correctly for better analysis.
>For doctor table - A doctor can belongs to multiple practices. For practice -
>a practice can have multiple doctors. I am starting with these 2 tables first
>and move my way to other tables.

Well... you need THREE tables then:

Practicioners
  PracticionerID
  LastName
  FirstName
  <other biographical data, nothing about Practices>

Practices
  PractiseID
  Practice <Text>
  <information about the practice, e.g. address, contact information...>

PracticePracticioners
  PracticeID <link to Practices>
  PracticionerID <link to Practicioners>
  <other fields about this doctor's association with this practice, e.g. range
of dates involved, role within the practice, whatever>

>I will try your suggestion in the meantime. Many thanks...Happy holidays.

A Merry Christmas to you, and/or whatever holidays you celebrate!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Looking for an excel function which can mirror opposite the data
Dear sir, There are 2 data sets is assumed running in A1 down, viz.: From A1 down to A10, are showing a set of number: from 1 to 10 In the cell from B1 to B10, are showing from 10 to 1, which is decreasing from 10 to 1. My question: I want to know is there any excel formula which I can place in B1 and pick A10's number; B2 pick A9's number and etc. I know there is an easy way to do it, just type "=A10" in the cell of B1, but it is quite difficult to do it when I have more than 200 number, e.g. A1 to A200. Thanks for your advice, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB...

Averaging weekly data into Months
Ive got a string of weekly data ranging from 1993-2010, which i need to convert from weekly to monthly. Id like to do this so that in the future new weekly data can be automatically converted to its monthly average. Whats the best way to do this? Maybe this will be useful to you... Step1: (If your weekly-date is in column B) Make a new column near your data, with formula in each line as "=eomonth(b1,0)" This will bring month value of each data-line, so later you can summarise/condense your data through this column value. Step2: In your monthly summary, use refe...

Analysis Cubes
What are the minimum requirements for using the Excel Addin for Analysis Cubes? Do you need to have GP installed to use the Excel AddIn? I have some users that need to access GP data, but I donot want to have to install GP on their Workstations, how do I do this? I am using GP version 8.0. See below for the requirements: 1. Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1 2. To use the add-in with Analysis Services 2005, the following compone...

Drop line on only one data point in series
Is it possible to add a drop line to only one data point in a series? If so, how? I believe attaching an autoshape line to a single data point would also meet my needs. I would like to be able to have a single data point marked with a line that doesn't require repositioning every time I add new points to the end of the series, which is daily. Any ideas? An autoshape would move anytime a heavy truck drove by. You could add custom negative error bars to the series, where the range containing the values contained zero for each point except for the one you want the drop line for. Easie...

Pulling data for a report from a form
Hi, I have a product report list that want to show the on hand qty. so i have this formula in a report field: =onHand([pkProductID],Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty) but when i preview the report it shows #name? instead. Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200912/1 To refer to a textbox on another (open) form, use: =Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "josros60 via AccessMonster.com" <u56159@uw...

excel #159
How do I prevent 2 files from opening up when I click on one file? What two files are opening? If it looks like: book1.xls:1 and book1.xls:2 Then you actually only have one workbook open--but you have two windows to that single workbook opening. Click on the window you don't want anymore and hit ctrl-w to close that window. Then save the workbook. ======== If that's not it, maybe you have another workbook in a folder named XLStart. Use windows start button and search for XLStart. Then look in each of those folders for a workbook file (*.xls). Move it or delete it if you'r...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

Number of wsheets in an excel workbook???
hey guys, how many wsheets does one excel workbook have? I need to have about 66 - is that possible? Thanks. Maria -- mariasa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mariasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31726 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521656 Yes I have created a workbook with more sheets in it that that. obviously depending on the amount of data on each sheet your workbook could be getting quite large and possibly unmanageable! I guess you will have to try it! D...

moving text from a word document to excel
I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel spreedsheet, and I have a few questions: 1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the same size? 2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How can I set it up so it is not in a long column? 3. How can I insert cells without h...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

Custom Formatting a Chart Data Label
I want to create a chart which will display a zero value on the data label where there is in fact a zero value, and show N/A on the data label where it didn't apply. The formula I am using in the spreadsheet uses a nested formula to make this determination: =IF(AND(B22+C22>0,C22>0),B22/C22,NA()) Presently, it works but displays the #N/A on the chart where I would prefer it simply displayed as N/A. Can I do this with a custom format on the data label?? Thanks so much! I don't know how you all do it but your amazing! -- If you can read this, thank a Teacher... If your read...

pivot table changes when data is refreshed.
Hi, I have a pivot table with grouping based on a field called "period which is of date type. I have grouped it into months and quarters However when i refresh the pivot table whenever the data (which is in seperate sheet) is changed, the groupings are going out. I want t preserve the groupings as they are like a template. How do i stop th changing the format and layout of the pivot table whenever i refres the data? any ideas? please help. regards Kiran:mad ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages d...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

Import Outlook Contacts into AC2003
I've created an application using AC2003 which was both fast and easy. I have a new requirement to enhance the database to be able to import both contacts and calendar appointments from Office 2003. One thing that makes this somewhat complicated is that the client wants this process to show both the contact from Outlook and the contact from the access database side by side and selectively choose the pieces of info from the Outlook contacts to be appended in the access database. I know how to do this but it will be a lot of work. Can anyone point me to a tool, project...

Redefine field data type
Hi, I am trying to write a function in a module in MS Access 2000 that will change the data type of a field called 'Start' in table 'bo_cpm_CS01ALL'. Here is the code that I have done so far but when I run it nothing happens...no errors or changes to the table. The code finds the table and field, creates a new field called 'temp' then copys 'Start' to 'temp' then deletes 'Start' and renames 'temp'. The field 'Start' has data type dbDouble. Any help would be great!! Public Function ChangeFieldType() 'Purpose: Changes a f...

Excel Events Conflict with VB and C# AddIns
Hi, I have two com addins running in Excel. One is written in VB and the other in C#. Both addins are interested in the Workbookopen event. When the event is triggered the c# code captures the event but the VB code does not. If i disable the c# addin then the vb code works. Looks like the c# addin is somehow blocking the vb events. Anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks, Andy There is only one WorkbookOpen event, so once one add-in hooks it, there is nothing for the other one to hook. If you are hooking the WorkbookOpen event in your add-ins, this is likely your problem. You may need...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel? #2
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! ...

Run-time error 2465 after database import
I'm trying to tidy up a database by starting with a fresh, blank database (Access 2000) and importing everything from the original database. Here are the steps I've gone through: 1. Started with a blank database. 2. Set all the properties to be the same as the original database. I've set the properties in: - File / Database Properties - Tools / Startup - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / database Properties - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / References 3. Selected File / Get External Data / Import and ...

sp_columns does not return NVARCHAR data type columns
Hi, our SQL Server Version is 2000 SP4. For several days the SP "sp_columns" does not return NVARCHAR data type columns any more. I reviewd the SP "sp_columns" and it seems, that the used SP "spt_datatype_info" does not return that type any more. A second production server returns that column type. The SP "sp_columns" is used by the ODBC-Driver to determine the table columns. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, Nils Ok, my fault, it seems that "spt_datatype_info" is a table and there is no NVARCHAR row. After insert...

Portrait only printing in Excel
I have an interesting problem. I have a workstation (Dell Pentium IV XP PRO) that has Office 2k on it. When I/we try to print to a networked printer, the document will only print in portrait no matter what changes I make to page settings or printer settings. We are on Active Directory, so as long as the documents are submitted from a different computer, it will print fine. Any suggestions? This could be a complete waste of your time, but the first thing I'd try is to reinstall the printer driver. (maybe even get a fresh driver from the printer manufacturer's web site???) Howa...

Charts not recognizing source data if original linked data is changed.
I am very frustrated by Excel (2003) at the moment. I'm relatively new to using Excel in depth. I have always been able to work my way through most intricacies and pitfalls. But now I have been working in a workbook with linked sheets (and with linked workbooks too) and have two problems that I cannot solve. Right now, I have about 47 sheets that are set up as follows: detail data: this is the raw data the the user enters daily totals: this is calculated data from the detail sheets summary sheets: further sums from the daily totals and a chart object that charts these sums (a line or sc...

VBA & Excel
Hi, I don't know a lot about VBA. I need to make an Exe file with VB to give 3 buttons each button starts an excel work book (book1, book2,book3). I am thinking of a form that appears on the screen. When the "Exit" button is cliked it will make an other copy of the 3 excel files on another folder (say: d:\data) for example (like a back up copy). Can any one help thanks Hi You can not make exe files with VBA. If you can use VB5 or VB6 instead then adapt the VBA code from http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbaolecontrolexcel see also http://www.erlandsendata...

copy and paste excel freeze
Hi, I am running Office 2003 in Windows 2000 Pro. try to copy the excel worksheet and paste to another new workshee takes long and the system seems freeze for a while b4 the process finish anyone have samme experience? ...