How to populate a value list

I have a field that is a valuelist. I select the value from a list that I
typed in.

That is fine.

But I need to have those value in the order of selection. Ex : I have in the
list the value from a to z. I select f, m, a. I want them to show up in that
oder.

At best I would like to use the same thing as Access when  we define a
combobox, we have 2 lists : the available field and the selected fields with
4 buttons in the middle.

Can that be done ?

Thank you

--
eric
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:10:01 -0800, ericb <eric@b.com> wrote:

>I have a field that is a valuelist. I select the value from a list that I
>typed in.

No, the field is NOT a valuelist. The field is a Number or a Text value. It
appears that you're another victim of the misleading, misbegotten Lookup
Field:

http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

>That is fine.
>
>But I need to have those value in the order of selection. Ex : I have in the
>list the value from a to z. I select f, m, a. I want them to show up in that
>oder.
>
>At best I would like to use the same thing as Access when  we define a
>combobox, we have 2 lists : the available field and the selected fields with
>4 buttons in the middle.

I have no trace of an idea what you're talking about: "4 buttons in the
middle"?????

You should certainly be using a Form; rather than a value list, you should be
using a combo box based on a Query selecting and sorting records from a table.
Value lists are *very* limited and should never be used if the list is
intended to be editable.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

What I have is a list of materials. I want to select some of those materials
and put them in another list. The important thing here is the order of
selection. The partial list must reflect and respect my order of selection.

I was thinking of doing the same thing as Access does in the whizard that
makes a combo box. It comes a time when the whizard will show you 2 lists.
One with the fields to select from and the other list is the selected fields,
in the center of those 2 lists you have the "4 buttons", actually they are
the arrows to select and unselect.

I want to do something like that but I don't know how to. That is why this
field was going to be a value list.

I hope I am more understandable.

Thank you for your help.

--
eric

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:41:01 -0800, ericb <eric@b.com> wrote:

>What I have is a list of materials. I want to select some of those materials
>and put them in another list. The important thing here is the order of
>selection. The partial list must reflect and respect my order of selection.
>
>I was thinking of doing the same thing as Access does in the whizard that
>makes a combo box. It comes a time when the whizard will show you 2 lists.
>One with the fields to select from and the other list is the selected fields,
>in the center of those 2 lists you have the "4 buttons", actually they are
>the arrows to select and unselect.

I would suggest two Listboxes, based on queries; you can put command buttons
(with arrow graphics) between them, and put VBA code in the buttons' Click
events to run queries to delete selected records from the source listbox and
add to the target. If the order of records is critical you may also want up
and down arrows to promote or demote selected records.

This won't be "out of the box" functionality, you'll need VBA code to do it. I
have seen this done but don't have a reference or example handy, but it's not
too difficult. Post back if you get stuck.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

No Blocked Sender List
I have recently reinstalled Outlook 2007 and added my old PST file to the new installation. Everything from the old installation is as it was, except that in the junk mail filter there are no lists of blocked senders, etc. I have a backup of my old hard drive. Where are the lists located? Chuck Humphrey it's stored in the registry. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request...

Drop down list #4
When I create a drop down list for a cell the font is too small. How can I increase the size so I can read it better? See Debra Dalglesih's site for instructions on increasing the view size of a DV drop-down list. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Font Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:19:50 -0700, "Hrider" <hrider@yahoo.com> wrote: >When I create a drop down list for a cell the font is too small. How can I >increase the size so I can read it better? > You can't change the font or font size for a Data Validation dropdown lis...

How to change the default value in "Filter On" field (Microsoft CRM 3.0)
Hi. When I open a contact in CRM, I can view the sales activities (Opportunities, Quotes, Orders, and Invoices) under "Sales" session. Is there any way I can change the default value under "Filter On" drop down menu? For example, when I click on Invoice, I want "Filter on:" drop down list select "Paid" instead of "Active" Thanks for your advice. You do the following: Settings -> Customizations -> Customize Entities Select the contact entity Then you will see a list of views and a form. One of those views is set ...

onChange code to automatically select a lookup value
Hi, When i create a new case and select a Customer from the lookup value, i then want the most recent contract to be automatically selected, and then from this the contract line to be automatically selected. But i am having problems with trying to write code with the onChange event to do this because i dont know how to select a value of a lookup list. Please help :) Mike ...

Mailling List like Majordomo
Forgive me. We just migrated from Linux/Postfix to exchange. Exchange is setup and is working great. One thing I can't figure out is if Exchange will allow mailing list such as the one created with majordomo. Where people who don't wish to be on the list anymore and "click a link" and be removed from the list. Is this sort of setup possible with Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition? Exchange by itself doesn't make a good listserv, if that is what you are asking. While it may be technically possible, I don't think you would be able to achieve the same f...

Populating tables
I am creating an engineering database to track drawing changes. I have several tables that should link by an "ECN" number. I am trying to create an input form where on the main form I enter a new ECN, a date and an Originator. In the sub form I want to populate the part numbers descriptions revioion letters and drawing numbers ( this is in separate tables). Am having trouble geting this to work. Can anyone offer guidance? Thanx Tom ...

Creating Drop Down boxes with the List function...
I am creating drop down boxes using the list function and I need to add color to the text. It will allow me to add color to the list, but the color I added doesn't appear in the drop down box. What do I need to do to make this happen? Thank you for your help. This should help, it sure did for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html ...

Changing default indents for lists (Word 2007)
In previous versions of Word this was relatively easy. I'm pretty adept with Office products, but as far as I can see this is no longer possible. Can someone confirm or enlighten me? I don't like the indents that Word 2007 imposes on bulleted and numbered lists -- it wastes a lt of space and for me is difficult to visually scan. I prefer my first levels of bullets (or numbers) to appear so that the bullet is lined up with the left margin with a hanging indent of 0.25". Then I like the second level of bullets to be at 0.25" with a hanging indent of 0.5", ...

Compare two lists
I have 2 columns of ref numbers and I need to compare the 2 columns so that I can identify the items in column 1 that are not in col 2. What is the best way to tackle this problem. Bob Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Box 666 wrote: > I have 2 columns of ref numbers and I need to compare the 2 columns > so that I can identify the items in column 1 that are not in col 2. > > What is the best way to tackle this problem. > > BobH Thanks Frank just what I was looking for. Bob "Frank Kabel...

Pasting CSV list into separate cells...
If I paste it into excel the entire text string goes into one cell. I would like to be able to paste and then have excel recognize it is a CSV list and put each value in its own cell. I've tried "paste special" but could not see how to do it. Can this be done? Thanks! Hi once you've pasted it click on the cell and use data / text to columns option on the first screen choose delimited and then on the next choose comma. Cheers JulieD "jmboggiano" <jmboggiano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75AF77CE-80B5-44F6-94EE-8E14E0FEE0B4@micro...

Retrieving Value From Subform Only Works In Break Mode 10-17-07
The code: ------------------------------------------------------------- 2550 With Me.subSecurity.Form 2551 If Me.subTrades.Enabled = True Then 2552 Me.subTrades.Form!txtParTotal.Requery 2553 curParTotal = Me.subTrades.Form!txtParTotal.Value 'MsgBox curParTotal 2554 !txtParTotal.Value = curParTotal 2555 !txtParTotal.Requery 2556 End If 2559 End With ------------------------------------------------------------- If I put a break on line 2552 or any line above it, the value gets retrieved and everything works a-ok. But with a break on line 2553 or no ...

Multilevel pick-list
I have he requirement of creating a multi-level picklist, i.e. like status, status reason. I have the idea of creating the first pick-list, e.g. Category and have the OnChange event filter the available values in the second pick-list, SubCategory. Does anybody have any experience in that approach - or other ways to implement this. Rgds, Per ...

Updating Junk Senders List
Hi, Is there a way to add serveral emails to my junk senders list at one time, rather than having to right click on each one and choose Add to Junk Senders List? Thanks, Doug Perhaps the answer is no, since you've posted this like 50 times and haven't gotten any replies. Ray at work "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01f301c39d70$c5481780$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there a way to add serveral emails to my junk senders > list at one time, rather than having to right click on > each one and choose Add to Junk Se...

How do i change my database to list view
How do you change the position of the field names in a database to the top, instead of the side. I need to change them from the side to the top. Copy and paste special and select transpose, this assumes you don't have more than 256 headers. It might be a good idea to paste into a new worksheet Regards, Peo Sjoblom "m" wrote: > How do you change the position of the field names in a database to the top, > instead of the side. I need to change them from the side to the top. > ...

VISIO 2007 Calendar
PLEASE HELP - This is driving me crazy!!! I am trying to get data from a SQL Table into a VISIO 2007 calendar. The data is being pulled from a view: alter VIEW [dbo].[LQ_CLIENT_FILE_DELIVERY_CALENDAR] as SELECT CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Date to Display], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Start date], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [End date], LEFT(DJS.VC_NOTE, 50) AS [Subject] FROM dbo.TBL_LOOKUP_...

Creating Outlook 2000 Distribution List from "To" contents?
Is there a way to create an MS Outlook 2000 distribution list from the contents of a received e-mail's "To" line? I know right-clicking on an individual allows me to "Add to Contacts." I'd like to highlight multiple (or All) names and be able to add to an existing, or a newly created, Distribution List. How can I do this to avoid manually having to add each name to Contacts, then individually bringing them into a Distribution List? Thanks, Dave ...

Freezes Update Message List

price field value varies function of quantity field same record
My product has varying price/unit depending on quantity (i.e 1-3 units = 50$/unit, 4-10 units= 45$/unit etc ). Do I need a new record in product table for each price structure or is there a way of having a range of numbers in a table field. Then when client chooses quantity I want to select the correct price in a query. (i.e. select 5 units, so price is 5 x 45$). That part isnt difficult i think. Any help would be positive karma. One product can have many prices (depending on quantity), so you have a one-to-many relation between parts and prices. You need this ProductPrice table in add...

VBA Editor
Hi all... I recently purchased my Mac and Office v.X, and thus far have been very, = very happy with it - that is, until I tried to port some vba code from = word xp=20 for windows to word x for mac... As far as I can tell, there is no watch window in the VBA editor with = Office=20 v.X....? Thus, there is no way for me to keep track of variables as I = step=20 through the code... SURELY MS could not have omitted such an essential feature? If not, is = any=20 one aware of how to do this...? Thanks. > I recently purchased my Mac and Office v.X, and thus far > have been very, very ...

Enter Parameter Value Dialog Box
Hi, When I open a form it a dialog box appears stating "Enter Parameter Value Study #". I have looked at the properties and can't seem to find how to turn this dialog box off. Would someone know how to turn this off? Thanks! Krista ...

How do I accept changes to bulleted lists in review mode?
I've converted from Word 2003 to Word 2007, and it appears that 2007 has no way to accept changes to a bullet. You can accept changes to the entire text, but not just the bullets. The editing crossout stays until you accept the changes to the entire document. Does anyone know how to accept changes to bullets? When reviewing the document, reviewers don't really need to see that there have been changes to a bullet number, and usually the changes from bullets cascade. Select the relevant bulleted paragraph. On the Review tab, click the arrow on the Accept button, and...

how do I copy the last 20 entries in an expanding list
Within a macro, I need to copy the last 20 entries of a list to another location. as the list grows, I still only need the last 20 entries to copy to the location. in lotus I would write "end down" "up 20" then copy & move. I can't find a corresponding formula in excel. when I try using end down in the macro and copy... it seems to always use the original space rather than the new space as new entries are listed. Assumes list is Column "A" and is contiguous Sub CopyLastX() Dim rRange As Range Set rRange = Range(Cells(Rows.Count, 1).E...

how to refer to all rows in a list box
Hai, I have a form in which there's a list box and two command buttons 1. cmdPrepareReport for selected 2. cmdPrepareReport for all for the first command button i used the following code For Each varItem In Me!lstCName.ItemsSelected ' Grab the ContactID column for each selected item strWhere = strWhere & Me!lstCName.Column(0, varItem) & "," ' the last comma will be removed later Next varItem This strWhere will be later passed to the report as criteria If the second button is selected, I must grab the contactId of all record...

Web Query for list of DVD's
Hello I have a spreadsheet with a list of DVD names in Col A. I would like to know if it is possible to have a web query that connects to an external site in which you can type the movie name and it tells you the main actors of the movie, as well as other facts. www.imbd.com is the site. you can see i can search for varous movies and it gives in the movie info in a consistant format. Ideally i would like to use the web query like a formula, with the dvd name in col a as the variable and the output being the actors name from the web, in col B. Because i have 400 dvds, i cant create the li...

How to filter previous distribtion list in Exchange 2003
We are doing the migration. We are trying to create some address view to filter distribtion groups which are created from Exchange 5.5 before according to the following KB (e.g. create an extra item called company to filter it from Exchange 5.5 address book view automatically before) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262968 However, we don't know how to filter because we cannot find the company from the new distribution group, how to do? ...