How to limit users views

I have recently set up a database which has a number of users. To prevent any
inadvertantly deleting tables etc, I want to limit the users to using /
viewing only the forms which navigates then to the relevant section of the
database. Simply put I want to stop the tables view when opening the database
(I done it in the past and can't remember how...old age is not as much fun as
I was told!!!!)

Thanks in anticipation.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Richard,

You should disable the database window in the startup window. Furthermore if
possible create an .mde file from the db. Include the bypass feature to make
sure people can't get in by using the shift button.

http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0011.htm

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"Richard" wrote:

> I have recently set up a database which has a number of users. To prevent any
> inadvertantly deleting tables etc, I want to limit the users to using /
> viewing only the forms which navigates then to the relevant section of the
> database. Simply put I want to stop the tables view when opening the database
> (I done it in the past and can't remember how...old age is not as much fun as
> I was told!!!!)
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
You most certainly can, and should hide all of the ms-access interface. The
options to complete hide and keep people out of the ms-access interface can
easily be done using the tools->start-up options. Using those options allows
you to complete hide the ms-access interface (tool bars, database window
etc). Also, using these options means you
do not have to bother setting up security.

Try downloading and running the 3rd example at my following web site that
shows a hidden ms-access interface, and NO CODE is required to do
this....but just some settings in the start-up.

Check out:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/DownLoad.htm

After you try the application, you can exit, and then re-load the
application, but hold down the shift key to by-pass the start-up options. If
want, you can even disable the shift key by pass. I have a sample mdb file
that will let you "set" the shift key bypass on any application you want.
You can get this at:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
2/27/2008 8:05:20 PM
Albert,

Thank you very much for your help. I will try this tomorrow in work.

Regards,

Richard

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> You most certainly can, and should hide all of the ms-access interface. The
> options to complete hide and keep people out of the ms-access interface can
> easily be done using the tools->start-up options. Using those options allows
> you to complete hide the ms-access interface (tool bars, database window
> etc). Also, using these options means you
> do not have to bother setting up security.
>
> Try downloading and running the 3rd example at my following web site that
> shows a hidden ms-access interface, and NO CODE is required to do
> this....but just some settings in the start-up.
>
> Check out:
>
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/DownLoad.htm
>
> After you try the application, you can exit, and then re-load the
> application, but hold down the shift key to by-pass the start-up options. If
> want, you can even disable the shift key by pass. I have a sample mdb file
> that will let you "set" the shift key bypass on any application you want.
> You can get this at:
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

Maurice, Thank you also for your reploy. I will try your method some time
soon as I develop the database further.

Regards,

Richard

"Maurice" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You should disable the database window in the startup window. Furthermore if
> possible create an .mde file from the db. Include the bypass feature to make
> sure people can't get in by using the shift button.
>
> http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0011.htm
>
> hth
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > I have recently set up a database which has a number of users. To prevent any
> > inadvertantly deleting tables etc, I want to limit the users to using /
> > viewing only the forms which navigates then to the relevant section of the
> > database. Simply put I want to stop the tables view when opening the database
> > (I done it in the past and can't remember how...old age is not as much fun as
> > I was told!!!!)
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation.

Kicking users out of database
I have a split database. There are times when I need to access the backend to make changes or additions, but often it is always open by a user. I am wondering if there is a way to have Access automatically close on the users pc after a set period of inactivity? Thanks, CEV Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210297 (Don't worry if you're not using Access 2000: that approach works in all versions) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "CEV" <chadv@advancebkg.com> wrote in message news:f2hlm80285c@enew...

New user dosn't show up in GAB
I have created a new user and wanted to setup his outlook. It did not accept his name. Then i checked the GAB and it's not listed. The new user is not invisible, and i could access his mailbox via OWA. We have recently upgraded to exchange 2003 but it's not in 2003 mode, it's still in 2000 2003 mix mode. The original server has been shutdown, it was a windows 2000 server DC with GC and it had exchange 2000 and all the mailboxes. This is the error from my event log. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9562 Date: 2/21/2005 Time: ...

File view doesn't list an expected source file
Hi, File view isn't showing a file it should show. One of the last steps needed to add Help support to an existing project is to compile MyProject.hpj. To do this, msdn says that I should go to File view, open the source files list, highlight MyProj.hpj, and then select "Compile MyProject.hpj" in the Build menu. MyProject.hpj is not in the Source files list, thogh. Can someone tell me why it isn't there? The file exists in my project's MyProject\hlp directory as a result of copying the sample project's hlp directory to my project, and renaming the files so th...

Outlook 2000 to 2003 transfer user data
Hey there, I need to transfer the user files from a windows 98SE with Outlook 2000 to a newer XP Pro based P.C with Outlook 2003. What do I need to do? -- "You''re only as good as your last build". Answered here daily. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010...

GAL mail enabled user issue
Hello all, I'm running an Exchange Server 2000, with mostly Outlook 2000 clients. I seem to be having a problem getting the GAL to update properly. All the users I've added in the past 3 weeks don't show up. I've done a rebuild on both the Recipient Update Services, as well as the Default Offline Address List. If I right-click on either the Offline address book, or the Default GAL in Exchange System Manager, choose properties, and click the Preview button, the resulting list includes the users that are missing from the GAL in Outlook. I've checked the E...

Excel freezes after any user action...
Hi Guys, We are having a problem with Excel 2003 freezing when we try to print, or click on a cell etc...pretty much, whenever the user makes an action, Excel freezes... We have tried a reinstall, but that didnt help...any ideas at all are appreciated. Cheers, Chris Chris, There are all sorts of things that can go wrong. Try turning off your virus protection (many people have reported bad interactions) and also try the steps described on Chip Pearson's site: though it is specifically startup errors, the same steps apply when trying to figure out freezing up problems. http://www.cp...

Activity Filter View
In the activity/history view associated to accounts/contacts/opportunities etc the default view is Next 30 days or in the history view 'Last 30 Days'. How can this default option be changed to 'All'? -- Jonesy I have tried modifying the AppGridFilterSelector.htc file. This seems to be partially working, but the listview isn't always updated correctly. I'm interested in a good solution for this as well. -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "Jonesy" wrote: > In the activity/history view associated to accounts/cont...

Registraion number not working for some users
Hi there, Two of my users cannot create a product registration number (Sales-Accounts-select product-Generate registration number) When you click the button the little window appears as it should but within it is a "Page cannot be displayed" message. Other users with the exact same permissions & assigned roles do not have this problem. I have installed the latest hotfix roll-up but this did not correct the error. Any help would be appreciated -Joseph Sounds like you are using a custom add-in or ISV integration. I would check with that vendor first... -- Matt Wittem...

New User Login error
We're running GP9.0 on SQL Server 2005. For our ODBC connection, we're already making use of SQL Native Client. As for the server name of the said odbc, we made use of the server instance name instead for the server IP. During user creation, the only option selected is enable password policy and the other checkboxes are unmarked - change password upon first login and expiry option. The problem is everytime a new user is created we get the message saying Unable to Login,Please contact your administrator. The only way that the user will be able to login is to change the password...

OWA view to a directory tree
Hi, For some reason when I tried to access my e-mail via webmail I can only see a directory tree... can anyone help me please. Thanks in advanced, Henrique Alves. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I recently had the same experience. I disabled and then re-enabled Forms Based Authentication to fix mine using the following instructions: In E2K3 ESM, drill down to the Exchange Virtual Server under Servers | <ServerName> | Protocols | HTTP | Exchange Virtual Server Right click on Exchange Virtual Server Choose the Settings tab Uncheck the "Enable Forms Base...

Storage limits not working
Ever since we upgraded to exchange 2003 our mailbox size limits are not being enforced. I have "default size limit" checked for most users, which is 25M if my memory serves me correctly, and they are able to still send with a mailbox at 50M. the limit is set per mailbox store. when you upograded (different server?) the users now belong to another store that does not have these settings. Limits could also be set per useraccount, and then overrides the settings on the store there is 3 different kind of quota on the mailbox store and user accounts Issue warning if this one...

Using check boxes to limit a report.
I have a table which lists all possible items for a vendor. I want to create a form that shows all of the items. I want the user to be able to place check marks next to the items they want. I then want to run a report which shows all of the information about the items, but only for the items that had been checked. What is a good way to approach this? I can't seem to find a way to link the check boxes to the item table and don't know how to create a report once they are linked. Can someone please direct me on how to do this? Or at least to somewhere that I can find out how to do ...

Adding the users name to a new list item
Is there a way to create a list so that when the logged in user creates a new item, it automatically insert's their user name into a column? I'm creating a time entry list, and don't want the users to have to type their name in every time they add a time record. The controller will review this list once a week and create reports based on the user, client, etc. Thanks in advance! Gavin Use the Created by column. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Gavin Steiner" <gavin@interprom.com> wrote in mes...

Microsoft Access Table Record Limitation
Hi, is there a limit to how may rows an access table can have before it performs poorly? "mark" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:OGxT6vdgKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, is there a limit to how may rows an access table can have before it > performs poorly? > > --- > frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.access/ That's depends upon the type and quality of indexes, as well as other factors. I have a database front-end that connects to a 1.1 GB backend with 6 million records. By using the primary key, I can pull 1 record ...

Excel Row Limitation
Currently, there are only 65,536 rows available in my EXCEL spreadsheets. I work with large amounts of data which necessitates the usage of multiple spreadsheets. Is there any way to expand the number of rows available? Thank you, Scott If there were some way to do this, then 65,536 would not be the limit! Excel 2007 has 1 million rows best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "NPVSRUS" <NPVSRUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39882114-33D2-4BF5-A9C7-B81D24523571@microsoft.com... > C...

Contacts missing from Outlook view on CRM
I have the following problem with CRM: Outlook 2003 using latest client and "Outlook Crash" hotfix. From within Outllok all contacts can be seen via Sales, Contacts. When a new message is created in Outlook and To is selected, followed by CRM Contacts then certain contacts do not appear in the contact list. This is only true for a couple of PCs, the rest seem to work OK. I have tried removing the CRM client and re-installing, but it doesn't make any difference. Anyone got any ideas why this is happening? Mark ...

What is the size limit of the notes field in an Outlook contact re
When I looked at the properties of the notes field within a contact record in Outlook, it displayed he following information Field Properties Name: Notes Type: Integer Format: 1,234 I was expecting a memo or text data type? ...

Money 2004 60-day version: Uninstall problem when a user is not an administrator
I want to report a bug in the 60-day version of Money 2004. Hopefully people in PSS or the product group read this newsgroup. I do not know the product ID for Money 2004, nor did the Assisted Support lookup tool list one for Money 2004, so I could not use Assisted Support. To repro: 1. Install Money 2004 60-day version on WinXP Pro using an account in the Administrators group. 2. Log on as another user that is not part of Administrators. Log off. 3. From the first account, uninstall Money 2004 using Add/Remove Programs. 4. Log on as the other non-admin user. Get a prompt from...

Is there a 5000 email limit for CRM's Bulk E-Mail Service?
Hello, I'm trying to send a bulk email to over 5000 contacts (about 15,000). I'm using Advanced Find to generate a list of contacts (not a Target List) and then use the Send Direct Email button to pick a template and send an email from CRM. This process uses the Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail service and the deployment's SMTP gateway, but seems to have a 5000 email limit. Another bulk e-mail method is to use a Campaign Activity with a E-mail via Merge, but this uses Word and Outlook to send the emails, and with so much client-side processing going on, the client PC just dies. ...

In publisher I lost my view of choosing page one or page two (fr.
I have used publisher for years, and suddenly whatever publisher file I open, that have front and back pages, I cant view the two pages selector on the lower left area of my form. When I print, it will pront both fromt and back pages on two sheets as page one and two but I can't select between page one and two, to edit page two, as I only see page one. View--status bar -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A39AE1F-1436-4F29-83C0-136...

Contact View and Automatic Formatting
I have installed Outlook XP (Office XP have SP1 and SP2); I try to personalize a View of Contact folder. I want to use Automatic formatting and set this condition: "Message Class" contains "IPM.Contact". It doesn't work! When i used Office 2000 it work.. strange.. any helps?? Andrea ...

delete user define setting
Hi I have previously entered a user defined chart in the custom types in Excel 2002, however, no loger use this and want to delete it in order to use the default setting when pressing "F11" how do i get rid of it? thank in advance Brian -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-chart/200701/1 Select a chart. Go to Chart menu > Chart Type > Custom Types tab. Click User Defined button, select Default under Chart Type, and click Delete button. This resets the default to the original (default) default chart type. - Jon ------- Jon P...

Multiple users
Just purchased our CRM package had a developer customize it. For phase II, we want to have our employees be able to enter their time into the system for payroll/service reporting purposes. Will we need to purchase a license for every employee even all they will be doing is entering in their time? Thanks for the assistance. On Nov 29, 1:36=A0pm, NewTechie <NewTec...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Just purchased our CRM package had a developer customize it. For phase II= , we > want to have our employees be able to enter their time into the system fo= r > payroll/service...

User defined fields not showing on window
I am in the field sevice module looking at the contract screen. I have given the user defined field a name but it does not show on the screen. Is there something I am not doing to get the user defined fields to show on the contract screen. Kevin R Pittman Trek Equipment Corp TrekIT, I am not quite sure, where you setup the Names for the User-Defined Labels. But make sure you entered the Names in the form "Contract Setup - Contracts" which has to be accessed from the following path: Microsoft Dynamics GP -> Tools -> Setup -> Project -> Contract Setup -> Contra...

Data Size Limit Error in GP 6.0
We are using GP 6.0 with MSSQL 2000 right now and recently when user login, it is rejected by GP and prompts a message saying that the database size exceed 10GB size limit. Does anyone know that there is any database size limit in GP or MSSQL 2000? How could I solve the problem? Thanks. Only a temporary fix but have you tried shrinking the database from within the SQL Server Enterprise manager? Right Click the database, all tasks, shrink database, select the option to move pages to the front for optimum shrinking. "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...