how to gracefully close an access db on a shared folder

Hi,

I have an access database that is shared by the network users. These
users tend to forget to close the applications when they finish their
work at the end of the day. This makes the server unable to backup the
file (being open). Can someone advice me how to gracefully close the
file when all users are longer using the db (even though their
application might still be open)?

Thanks
0
OM
10/3/2007 3:38:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Put a Timer on a hidden form or switchboard

Sub Form_Timer()
  If VBA.Timer > 72000 Then ' After 8 PM
    Access.Application.Quit, acQuitSaveAll
  End If
End Sub

HtH

Pieter

"OM" <om@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an access database that is shared by the network users. These
> users tend to forget to close the applications when they finish their
> work at the end of the day. This makes the server unable to backup the
> file (being open). Can someone advice me how to gracefully close the
> file when all users are longer using the db (even though their
> application might still be open)?
>
> Thanks

0
Pieter

Opening Access without Menus displayed
Access 97 I have created a simple data lookup form for a customer to look up his own jobs in a shared database - there is only the one form in the mdb(e) that auto-opens on application startup. I have unchecked all the Startup functions etc. The program auto-opens the form okay but there is the default menu bar displayed across the top of the application window. The tool bars do not show. Is there a way to open the program and not show ANY menus as well? My form close event also quits the application. I intend to provide this as an mde. Any ideas gratefully appreciated Piri Piri wrote: &...

How to write to the registry in Vista from Access
Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a code to write to the registry. I have one from someone in the past but I try to use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder. Does anyone knows why??? Thanks... This is not really an Access question, but a Vista one. My best guess though is that you need administrative privileges to write to the registry, and Vista by default does not let anyway have those privileges without specifically logging in that way. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP ht...

Save as in Access 2002
I have a user who is running Office XP Pro on Windows XP Pro and when she tries to export an Access table to Excel she does not have Excel as an option in the drop down list. Any ideas on how to fix this? Look for the file Msexcl40.dll on the harddrive (it should be in the System folder), and use regsvr32.exe to reregister it. This problem is discussed in http://support.microsoft.com/?id=209805 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (No private e-mails, please) "Jonathan Hearn" <jhearn@envirocon.com> wrote in message news:002301c3c0de$09859d10$a50...

Cannot open earlier version of access database
I'm trying to open Northwind database with MS Access 2003. The problem is that a dialog box appears prompting me to go to Database > Tools > Convert Database, however, the dialog box re-appears over a couple of times and disallows the user from doing anything within MS Access. If you are getting the Convert dialog you will need to convert the database to the version that you are working in and save it and then open it next time instead of the original file. During the convert process it will not change the original file. It will make a NEW copy for you to use. I wonder w...

Accessing Money reconciled statements?
Is there any way to access past reconciled statements? For some reason, when I went to reconcile it says that my starting balance doesn't match my ending balance from the last statement. I thought I would find the last statement and enter that ending balance as my starting. Not as easy as I thought. Thanks in advance. You won't be able to do that - if the ending balance is modified, you're just shifting the problem back. You'll need to find where you have either deleted a reconciled transaction, or unreconciled a previously reconciled transaction and make an appropri...

.pst folder help
How do I put a .pst folder in My Documents for constant up to date copying? Mine seems to be in a folder called Office Data File which I cannot open but do not see any pst file...can someone kindly help me out here? Thanks! Right click the pst in outlook and select properties and then click Advanced You will see the location of the file. Depending on your view settings it may be hidden. Close the pst, (right click it, close) Move the file to the location you desire. Open Outlook select File - Open - Outlook Data File Browse to the file and select it. OK Done Regards Mark Dormer &quo...

Calendar/address book: sharing folder with only 1 .PST for n users
I'm going to share a folder on my file server for ten specific users where I create unique .PST file. For example I create test.pst and I assign full rights to this one for my 10 users. For every client, can I link MS Outlook to test.pst ? In this way I could use ONLY sharing calendar and Address book ? I'm not interesting to use mailbox on this pst, because for mailboxes I can use local pst for each machine. "Riccardo" <ric.castellani@alice.it> wrote in message news:990c53ca-cae4-4146-ace7-fec4287c7771@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > I'm going to share a fo...

Close "X" missing
I have a user who's Excel window displays without the usual Minimize, Restore Down, and Close symbols in the upper right corner. That's the Underscore, the Box and the X. I thought his screen was set too wide but I checked that and the symbols are just not there. Is there a way to turn these on and off in Excel? Thank you, Ray K I have two guesses... Could it be... xl: close button is dimmed after groupwise is installed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 But my money is on that the workbook is protected: tools|protection|protect workbook in that d...

moving large amounts of data from one db to another
I have a table that has millions of rows of data in it, which then references another table with millions of referenced (matching by foreign key constraints)... I need to move this data from database A to a new database B, is there any way to do this and preserve the identity columns and their referential integrity?) Thanks! You can't have integrated RI across databases so that part is out. But you can certainly insert and keep the identities. Take a look at SET IDENTITY INSERT in BOL. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Smokey Grindel"...

CRM4
Hi, On CRM4, I obtain an ASP.NET error while trying to access the website of my default organization. The message error is the following : "Caller does not have enough privilege to set CallerOriginToken to the specified value". I didn't find anything on the Web... Does anyone have an idea ? Fabien Majurel I have the same problem, I am going to reinstall and see if that helps Mike "Fabien Majurel" wrote: > Hi, > > On CRM4, I obtain an ASP.NET error while trying to access the website of my > default organization. The message error is the following...

Changing text based on criteria in an access report
Hello, I've got a textbox in a report, some records of which may contain text within { }. I need to find some way to format only that text (which may be in the middle of a string) so that it appears underlined and so that the brackets disappear. To illustrate, I posted a 5KB graphic here: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3523/jexamplemb2.png Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance! Mitch Access 2007 can format the text for you, using standard HTML for the underlining. Use the Replace() function to swap the braces for the HTML tags. Earlier versions of Ac...

A program is trying to access e-mail #2
When I hit new or reply I get this box saying, "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" Symantec says it's a Microsoft problem. Microsoft says its a security patch sp3? How do I stop this dam message from poping up???? Outlook 2002 SP3 adds additional properties to the list of those that are affected by the security features. As a result, one of your add-ins needs updated to the latest version - antispam add-ins are a common cause although others are affected by the changes as well. Many add-ins were updated follow...

Has anyone linked MS Access and MS Money?
Greetings. I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access. Our book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses, etc. needs to be entered twice. I am thinking of migrating the financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming or the like to send student data from Access to Money. Does anyone know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of thing? Thanks! Gary See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10 in specific and http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=3 in general. "GaryDave" <garydave@hotmail.com> w...

rule to move sent mail to 2nd mailbox sent folder
We have Outlook 2002 (enterprise). I have my own mail box and in addition, another shared mailbox. What I need to be able to do is have a rule set up so that when I reply to an email from the shared mail box, that shows the from email address as ''my name and 'on behalf of; 'shared mail box'' it moves the sent email from my own personal email to the sent mail folder on the shared email folder. I also need to set up a rule for any emails that are deleted from the shared email box are put into the 'shared email delete box'. I have looked at the rules and can&#...

Restoring Public folders to another server
We have a server that has crashed and AD is all up the wop. It was our exchange server (Exchange 2000). We have a new server in place but we can't restore our public folders from backup (Veritas 9.1). Is there a way to restore public folders to a different server or do we have to rebuild the server with all the same names etc.....? In advance thankyou for the help. -- Network Consultant a full recovery server is your only option, unless you go with a 3rd party tool... "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DCA3555-EA66-4BCC-AB7C-59896AB02...

Deleting Investments for closed positions
I recently discovered that it's possible to delete old investments (closed positions). One advantage to doing this is that the "Best and worst performers" on the home page will then only show current open positions. To me that's an advantage because I don't really care how a closed position is performing. I've confirmed that deleting the closed investments does not impact the actual transactions. The buys, sells, dividends, etc are still in the account. Are there any disadvantages to doing this that I haven't considered? Thanks. Jeff On Feb 3, 10:59 am, &...

Posting to Public Folder-VIEW--the FROM field
When I post to a public folder, and click VIEW--the FROM field is grayed out. This worked in Outlook 2000. Are there any work-arounds? ...

Need help backing up OL2002 items (or folders)
HELP says: "If you want to create a folder to which you can drag items for safekeeping or to distribute to another computer. Create a new data file (.pst) and drag items to it. If you used the default name for the folder when you created the data file, the folder will be called Personal Folders . In the Folder List (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the View menu, click Folder List.), drag any item from your current folders to the new folder. Press CTRL...

Reinstalled XP, now can't access Outlook mail. #2
We reinstalled XP Pro on our office machine. Now we cannot view our email (Outlook 2002)!!! Now when we launch Outlook it's as if it were a fresh install & we are a new user. HOW CAN WE USE OUR EXISISTING EMAIL ACCOUNT?? ...

Organizational Forms access in Exchange 2003 OWA
There is an HTML convert tool available for Org Forms in Exchange 5.5, but I am unable to find a way to view our Org Forms in our new Exchange 2003 OWA. Does anyone know of a way to view organizational forms in Exchange 2003 OWA? ...

New DB Query problem
In Excel 2002, when I go to Data-Import External Data-New Database Query, I get a "Choose Data Source" window that displays many items including Oracle, dBase Files, Excel Files, and MS Access Database. However, when another user logs onto the same PC and tries the same process they don't see any of those files listed. Instead, they only see Oracle listed. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks! Probably because the rights to those other Databases are assigned by username from the MIS dept. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "D.P. Roberts [MCSE,MCSD,MCDBA]&...

Transfer file from Access to Server
I work with Access 2007 as a front end to a SQL Server backend. I would like to be able to select a file from my local desktop, then, through VBA/SQL transfer the file to a folder on my server. Or, store the file in a varBinary(MAX) column in a table, but then use a SPROC to take the file out of the table and place it in a folder on the server. How can I do this? -- Bill The built-in VBA sub FileCopy() will allow you to copy a file from one folder to another. If you want to provide a dialog that allows a user to select the file then have a look here: http://www.mv...

Public folders #62
We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Domain. I would like to create a public folder to be used for calendar (Appointment) entries. I can create public folders, but do not seem to be able to make them so they will accept appointment entries. Thanks in advance for your help with this! Bill Antolec billa@northway.org I do not believe you can "book" appointments or invite PFs to meetings...you can enter the appoinments manually, and grant permissions for people to "view" them... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Bill Antolec" <billa@acorncg.com> wrot...

Favorite Folders change
Using OL2003 with Exchange 5.5. Every time I start OL2003, the Folders I put into Favorite Folders change, or are removed. Sometimes others are added. Is anyone else seeing this? ...

Access Conversion back end/frond end
I need to have some users be able to update and manipulate database tables that are still in Access '97 after they are converterd to Acccess 2003. Is the only way they can use the Access '97 table via the Splitting of the front end and back end. .. or can they just convert their database to 2003 and still link to acess '97 tables whereby they may still update in '97 tables ? -- Good Lookin' Out! I'm not really sure I understand what subtlety you're trying to make. How is having a 2003 database linked to the Access 97 tables any different than splitting...