How to get Table Description Field Text to show on Forms? Hovering? Right-Click?

Can I get the fioeld description I enter in the Table Design View to
show on Forms or Queries?

When the mouse hovers over the field or field name??

When the user right clicks on the field or field name??

At the bottom of the screen when the mouse hovers?

How?

Thanks for any help.

Mel

0
MyEmailList
4/13/2007 2:36:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Ken,

I've done some programming but not much in Access.

How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
module" ???

And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
called each time the db opened?

And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

thanks again.

Mel

0
MyEmailList
4/13/2007 6:32:58 PM
Mel:

To add the GetFieldDescription function to a standard module go to the
modules page of the database window and select New.  The VBA editor will open
at a new module with a couple of lines already in place.  Copy the following
code to the clipboard and paste it in immediately below the existing lines in
the module.  The first line form 'Public' to the final 'As String' is all one
line, but might have split into two in your newsgroup reader, so watch out
for this and correct it after pasting in if necessary. Then save the module
under a name of your choice, but not the same name as the function; I
generally give module names a 'bas' prefix, e.g. basUtilities, to avoid any
confusion with other object names.

Public Function GetFieldDescription(strTable As String, strField As String)
As String

    Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
    Dim fld As DAO.Field

    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set tdf = dbs.TableDefs(strTable)
    Set fld = tdf.Fields(strField)

    GetFieldDescription = fld.Properties("Description")

End Function

The second line of code is not part of a function; it goes in each relevant
form's Open event procedure, and you'll need to repeat it for each control
for which you want to show the field description as a tool tip.  So open the
form in design view and open its properties sheet if its not already open.
On the Event tab of the properties sheet select the On Open event property
and click on the 'build' button (the one on the right with 3 dots).  Select
'Code Builder' in the dialogue and OK out.  This will open the VBA editor at
the Open event procedure in the form's class module.  The first and last
lines will be in place already.  Enter variations on the following as new
lines between the existing two, one line for each control in question, and
change the control, table and field names from MyControl, MyTable and MyField
in each line as necessary.  Note again that this should be all one line if
its been split in your reader:

Me.MyControl.ControlTipText = GetFieldDescription("[MyTable]", "[MyField]")

The form's Open event procedure executes when you open a form.  This then
calls the GetFieldDescription function however many times are necessary, i.e.
once for each relevant control, and assigns the value of the relevant field's
Description property to the control's ToolTipText property.  The tool tip
with the appropriate description will then show when a user moves the mouse
pointer over the control.

Functions or procedures in a standard module are not called when the
database opens, but when explicitly called, as above.  Sometimes, however,
you might want a function or procedure to be called immediately when the
database is opened, e.g. to check if links to tables in a shared back end are
still valid.  There are various ways you can do this, e.g. by an autoexec
macro or by including code in the Open event of a form such as a switchboard
set as the database's opening form.

Sometimes you might want other functions or procedures to be called when a
database closes, e.g. to perform some tidying up housework tasks.  A way to
do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call the
functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework functions
or procedures.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
>
> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
> module" ???
>
> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
> called each time the db opened?
>
> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??
>
> thanks again.
>
> Mel

You might want to put some error trapping in that function:

Public Function GetFieldDescription( _
  strTable As String, _
  strField As String _
) As String

On Error GoTo Err_GetFieldDescription

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
Dim fld As DAO.Field
Dim strDesc As String

  Set dbs = CurrentDb
  Set tdf = dbs.TableDefs(strTable)
  Set fld = tdf.Fields(strField)
  strDesc = fld.Properties("Description")

End_GetFieldDescription:
  GetFieldDescription = strDesc
  Exit Function

Err_GetFieldDescription:
' 3265 is "Item Not Found In This Collection"
' (i.e.: either the table name or the field name is incorrect)
' 3270 is "Property Not Found"
' (i.e.: no description was set for the field.)
  Select Case Err.Number
    Case 3265
      strDesc = "Invalid Table or Field name."

      Resume Next
    Case 3270
      strDesc = "No Description found."
      Resume Next
    Case Else
      Err.Raise Err.Number, _
        "GetFieldDescription", _
        Err.Description
      Resume End_GetFieldDescription
  End Select

End Function

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Ken Sheridan" <KenSheridan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call
> the
> functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
> open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
> closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework
> functions
> or procedures.
>
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
> "MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> Ken,
>>
>> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
>>
>> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
>> module" ???
>>
>> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
>> called each time the db opened?
>>
>> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

0
Douglas
4/14/2007 11:34:59 AM
In a situation like this I'd tend to let the error handler in the calling
procedure, i.e. the form's Open event procedure, deal with it.  I'd be
interested to hear your comments on that approach.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> [...]
> > do this id to use a hidden form as the database's opening form and call
> > the
> > functions or procedures in its Close event procedure.  The form will stay
> > open, but hidden, throughout the session, but will close when the database
> > closes, executing its Close event procedure to call the housework
> > functions
> > or procedures.
> >
> > Ken Sheridan
> > Stafford, England
> >
> > "MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Ken,
> >>
> >> I've done some programming but not much in Access.
> >>
> >> How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard
> >> module" ???
> >>
> >> And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be
> >> called each time the db opened?
> >>
> >> And the 2nd function would be called each time the form opened??

Backslash "\" is being added to XML Attributes, Is there a way to get rid off it?
I have not encountering this problem 'till I got VS.NET 2003. Check my xml below how the backlash is added. I tried all possible ways to replace it but nothing happens. Any help will greatly appreciated. <SESSION_INFO_ID ID=\"434674640\"> <TEL_NBR VALUE=\"2532668900\"> <PRODUCT hcid=\"1600\"></PRODUCT> <PRODUCT hcid=\"1700\"></PRODUCT> </TEL_NBR> </SESSION_INFO_ID> Pete wrote: > I have not encountering this problem 'till I got VS.NET 2003. Check my xml > belo...

i am getting fatal error C1033
Hi all while i was compliling my project through VC++ (6.0) It ia giving following error e:\empresent\source\winsys\ttf\fontbmp.c(0) : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'e:\empresent\source\build\x86\vc60.pdb' NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2' Stop. Although vc60.pdb is present in the following path. Please help me out what to do. Thanks in advance Meenal I can only guess, the file may be locked/corrupt or not accessible. Reboot and see if you still get the same problem. ----------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Sometimes clearing...

Adding columns to item table
Are there any incompatibility issues I would need to worry about in adding additional columns to tables in the database? I'm already using most of the available fields in the item table and I would like a place to store each items ASIN assigned from amazon. I don't need to be able to read or write this in either the POS or the Manager, I just need to be able to access it through SQL queries. I would like to know the same thing. Has anybody done that without problems? <tfitts@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ce05743c-7ca2-49cc-89da-815d91c77e4d@1g2000prd.googlegroups.com......

Form and Subform for single ID
Hi I am in the process of creating a Case Management database. Every week, a coach meets with the students for Case Management purposes. When the youth becomes involved in Case Management, they complete surveys at 6 months intervals. I also have several tables (forms) which are based on survey questions which must be completed at six months intervals. The main youth form is in the Participant table (there is YouthID is the PK). I have created a One-to-Many relationship between this table and the survey tables but there is no referential integrity since I have more youths...

table of contents
The whole tab thing just works like it's broken in Pub 2000. No matter how many times I reset the tabs for the table of contents, it goes back to mish mash when I open it.. I then have to reset each line individually because it's not smart enough to do the whole page. The last line doesn't have a chapter number so it won't stay in line with the others at the right edge. It's a real pain in the neck. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Asussertown <DROPsussertown@adelphia.net>... > The whole tab thing just works like it'...

How do I use the connection string to connect to a table on the database that I am working on.
I have two related tables. and one form of which one of the tables is a subform and i want to write the data on the subform to a textfile. I used this code to connect to the table but because I have already opened the MDB. I get the error that the file is already openned. objConn.CursorLocation = adUseClient objConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _ "Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\exds006\Desktop\Electronic LIV;" & "Persist Security Info=False" objConn.Open Is there another way of accessing th...

Font set for reading plain text
I've set Courier as the font to read and compose plain text message. However, I don't have idea why my Outlook showed with Arial rather than Courier. The message was from Yahoo account. It seems no difference where messages came from. Can Outlook show plain text message with the font that I set? Thanks, Charles OL2003 SP2 on XP Pro SP2 ...

excel spreadsheet 2003 wont show content when moved to another par
i have backed all documents which included excel spreadsheets from c drive to d drive (ANOTHER PARTITION). Now i cannot see the content of the spreadsheet when i access it from the D drive or C drive. what have i done to it? It also wont open when itry to access it from backed up USB stick. Thanks Chris I had a similar issue with some files. What happened was that somehow the windows for the files got minimized or dragged out of view somehow (not sure how this happened). Users would open a file and see nothing. This fixed it for me. Goto the Window item on toolbar, S...

Text Box Control contains generated hyperlink
Hi. I have a textbox control on a report that contains a generated hyperlink. I output this report to a PDF and when I click the link it only returns the first line of information. This link contains links to documents that reside in a database, so if the link should contain 10 documents, it only returns 8 because that's what fits on the first line of the link. Any ideas of what is happening? Cathy ...

Word/Outlook convert content to a table when forwarding msgs
How do I prevent Word/Outlook from converting the content of a forwarded message to a table (actually, a bunch of nested tables) when I forward a message? Outlook/Word doesn't do this. Apparently the original message was already formatted this way. If you are convince that is not the case (look at the HTML source of the received message), then you'll have to provide some configuration details for us to work with and steps to reproduce. Also, does this happen to all messages or just this one? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outloo...

Sheet tab text color

Access 2003
Hello, I have two different Access 2003 databases, one has a problem with showing options when the right mouse button is clicked on a table, query or anything, the other one does not. This started happening out of the blue ... I checked tools, options thinking I had inadvertly set some sort of option, but there is nothing that I can see that would affect the mouse in one data base and not the other .. very strange. It is the same on my computer at home and at the office ... Any help on this would be much appreciated. Abay Is there anything else running that could interfere? The ...

Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and ...
Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use the numbers in that cell to make an equation with another? The short answer .. No -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "thegen" <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1552FF10-9CAA-42AD-B401-B0D229D6A343@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use the > numbers in that cell to make an equation with another? well maybe depending on how the "text & currency" was ar...

CCTV text insertion??
Is there anyone using text insertion from RMS? I need a way to insert text most times this is done off receipt printer or off a com port. The reason i dont like using a receipt funtion is rms dumps all the info at the end of the transaction i would rather have it while the cashier is ringing up that item. I would use it as a pole display but not everything is sent to the pole display. JUst wondering if anyone else was using text insertion on a rms system. thanks for the help Nope right now only way is printer. "Doug Pic-N-Pac" <DougPicNPac@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Excel text to Word text
How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed English I don't believe you can copy and paste without the gridlines. However, in Word, select the data and Table>Convert>Table to Text. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Ed" <ee15803@att.net> wrote in message news:3f7e21e9.53324199@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying > over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks &g...

Auto Complete (auto fill) in Lookup Fields
Main table looks up to 2nd table, using this code: SELECT [1a-Emb Format-tbl_Formats].[ID], [1a-Emb Format-tbl_Formats].[Format] FROM [1a-Emb Format-tbl_Formats] ORDER BY [Format]; In form view, when typing a value from the list, the value "auto completes" fine until I close the database, re-open, add a new record and try to populate the field again. Even if i type the copy exact value from the lookup table list, an error results saying it doesn't match. I'm forced to click and scroll on the drop arrow to populate. When I remove the relationship from the ...

'To' field missing
When you open an email the "To" Field Is Not Displayed in Outlook Inside Outlook, try clicking on View Message Header "Ron" <youwishbabe@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:024001c368de$4bbd4730$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When you open an email the "To" Field Is Not Displayed in > Outlook ...

Problems getting rid of "..Program is trying to access your e-mail addresses.."
I am trying to complete a migration to Exchange 2003 Outlook 2003 from an Exchange 5.5 Outlook 2003 environment. I have all of my clients configured so that the HKey_Local_Machine value of CheckAdminSettings is set to 1 or 2. I have identical security group documents in the Outlook 10 Security Settings and Outlook Security Settings folders. Unfortunately Some of my users are still seeing the Outllok security prompts. I have checked the permissions on the Security Settings folders and everything seems to be correct. What am I missing and why can't I make the prompts disappear. Everything...

How to skip cells with text strings.
What should I add to the code below to cause it to skip a cell tha contains a text string in the cell above it? I need it to only work o numbers in the cell above it. If ActiveCell.Offset(rowoffset:=-1) <> "" Then ActiveCell = ActiveCell.Offset(rowoffset:=-1) + 1 Application.SendKeys ("{Enter}") End If Thanks so much. mikebur -- mikebur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thread...

5000 character limit in data fields
Is there any way to extend the 5000 character limit for data fields? I have one field that will be at least 10000 characters regularly. It appears that I cannot make a custom field larger then 5000 characters though even with the ntext format. Just wanted you to know that we have just created a 5000 character ntext field in the Leads entity and get an error going offline with that data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this, but in the meantime we're stuck. Can you use the Notes Entity? "fbell@itstrategists.com" wrote: > Is there any way to extend the 5000 character...

windows forms controls
Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist for winforms? One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net repeater. DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. Ralph wrote: > Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist > for winforms? > One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net > repeater. > DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. I don't know much about the ASP.NET controls. But the Windows Forms namespace includes layout controls, such ...

Excel Table to Individual product list and spend
Hi, Basically I have an Excel data table and I have a Product name drop down list. I want to create a formula or macro so when a Product is selected, it would output the list of companies and their spend with the product. Below is a sample but the real spreadsheet has thousands of vendor names and spend for each product and there are probably ten product names altogether. Company Product1 Product2 Product3 Product4 Total ABC 7,009 8,000 15,009 Key 805,036 805,036 PC 56,016 57,470 568 114,054 Water 3,090 651 298,250 301,991 Total 66,115 863,157 306,818 -...

problem with printing import of word table
Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit; office pro 2007 suite: How do I get rid of the boxes when trying to publishing? I need to import a table created in word 2007. I can get the text box set for margins and size, but I cannot find the command to keep the boxes surrounding each row and column of the table from printing. I apologize in advance for seeming so ignorant, but this is the first time trying this kind of operation. Your help is totally appreciated in advance. Thanks Do you mean the borders? High-light the entire table, Lines, more lines, select the pre-set grid, expand the colo...

Creating XML Text
Hello, I need to create some well formed XML text live in memory. What I really want is to use the XmlTextWriter object applied to some location in memory (Stream or something?), because it does a nice job of formatting/identing, etc. But I can't figure out how to instantiate the XmlTextWriter object correctly w/o a filespec. I'm not allowed to directly instantiate a Stream & therefore a StreamWriter for that matter since there's no filespec involved. Can someone show me some code to make this work? TIA, -- John C. Bowman Software Engineer Thermo Electron Scientific I...

Convert Incoming Plain Text to HTML
Is there a way to have Outlook (2003) automatically convert incoming Plain Text messages to HTML without manually changing the formatting option? Thanks in advance, Jody As far as I know, no. You can go from HTML to Plain Text but not the other way. "J. Owens" wrote: > Is there a way to have Outlook (2003) automatically convert incoming Plain > Text messages to HTML without manually changing the formatting option? ...