How to choose a form record based on selection from a subform?

   I have a main form (in Access 2007) with a few fields for the user
to fill in. Below the data entry fields is a subform that lists all
the records from the same query the main form is based on. This is to
make it easy for the users to see the current record set as well as a
quick way for them to select records for editing. I want to make it so
that if the user clicks on a subform record, the main form will go to
that record for editing.

   So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
Source to "=[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
with the value.

   Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?

   Anyone have a different approach to this?

   Thanks!
0
Andrew
2/2/2010 6:41:38 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Andrew

Don't know if this (different) approach would be suitable for your situation

I use a combobox in the header of my form to have the user select a record
to view/edit.  In the AfterUpdate event of that (unbound) combobox, I use:
    Me.Requery
to get the form to re-check its underlying query.

That underlying query points to the form's combobox to find the ID of the
record to return.

So when I first open the form, the combobox is empty, so the query returns
the record with (no) ID ... that is, no record!

Then, after selecting a record in the combobox and pressing <Tab> or
<Enter>, the form reruns the query, which FINDS an ID in the combobox this
time, and displays that record.

Is that something like what you're looking for?

(I guess I'm a little puzzled by what you've described.  Are you saying your
subform displays all the records?  How have you related your subform to your
main form... if at all?)

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Andrew Meador" <andrew@meadorcrafts.com> wrote in message
>   I have a main form (in Access 2007) with a few fields for the user
> to fill in. Below the data entry fields is a subform that lists all
> the records from the same query the main form is based on. This is to
> make it easy for the users to see the current record set as well as a
> quick way for them to select records for editing. I want to make it so
> that if the user clicks on a subform record, the main form will go to
> that record for editing.
>
>   So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> Source to "=[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> with the value.
>
>   Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
>
>   Anyone have a different approach to this?
>
>   Thanks!

0
Jeff
2/2/2010 6:59:24 PM
   I have fooled around with this using listbox and combobox, which
might solve my event firing issues, but the asthetics and
functionality are bothersome to me. Both options don't show the record
list with alternating background colors which helps make the records
listed easier to track across the width of the form. The listbox shows
the area defined to start with, full of records, but doesn't have an
option to show the column names or to sort of the columns. The combo
box has to be clicked on and "minimizes" once a record is clicked. It
can show the column names, but also cannot sort on the columns.

   The subform shows 4 columns of interest to the user to determine if
a new record is required or if they need to edit one. It is very
helpfull for this list to remain visible while they are entering or
editing records as the data that is visible can help them with data
consistency. Three fields are pulled from tables so the values in
those are consistant, but the 4th column is not, yet often needs to be
the same as other records that have a different pattern of values in
the first three columns.

   So I think the path I'm following gives me the best results - if I
can get it to work.

Thanks!

On Feb 2, 1:59=A0pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > =A0 So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> > Source to "=3D[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> > selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> > use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> > to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> > text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> > Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> > respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> > if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> > being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> > with the value.
>
> > =A0 Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
>
> > =A0 Anyone have a different approach to this?

Andrew
2/2/2010 7:43:41 PM
Oops. To answer your other questions. The subquery is not related to
the main form other than the fact that they are using the same query/
table to pull their data and store the data. The subform shows all the
records from the stored query. And, upon entering a new record in the
main form it is immediately requeried in the subform to show it. But
there is not other 'link' bwtween these forms.

   But what about the non-firing of the text box events? Or, is there
some link I can make from the main table to the text box that is
receiveing the RecID value from the subform? Some code I can use to
get the main form to jump to that record in some other way?

> [...]

> > =A0 So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> > Source to "=3D[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> > selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> > use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> > to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> > text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> > Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> > respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> > if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> > being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> > with the value.
>
> > =A0 Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
>
> > =A0 Anyone have a different approach to this?

Andrew
2/2/2010 8:33:08 PM
Andrew

Hopefully another reader has taken your approach and worked it out.

I don't have any experience with the technique you're trying.

Good luck!

On Feb 2, 1:59 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> Andrew
>
> Don't know if this (different) approach would be suitable for your
> situation
>
> I use a combobox in the header of my form to have the user select a record
> to view/edit. In the AfterUpdate event of that (unbound) combobox, I use:
> Me.Requery
> to get the form to re-check its underlying query.
>
> That underlying query points to the form's combobox to find the ID of the
> record to return.
>
> So when I first open the form, the combobox is empty, so the query returns
> the record with (no) ID ... that is, no record!
>
> Then, after selecting a record in the combobox and pressing <Tab> or
> <Enter>, the form reruns the query, which FINDS an ID in the combobox this
> time, and displays that record.
>
> Is that something like what you're looking for?
>
> (I guess I'm a little puzzled by what you've described. Are you saying
> your
> subform displays all the records? How have you related your subform to
> your
> main form... if at all?)
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Andrew Meador" <and...@meadorcrafts.com> wrote in message

> > I have a main form (in Access 2007) with a few fields for the user
> > to fill in. Below the data entry fields is a subform that lists all
> > the records from the same query the main form is based on. This is to
> > make it easy for the users to see the current record set as well as a
> > quick way for them to select records for editing. I want to make it so
> > that if the user clicks on a subform record, the main form will go to
> > that record for editing.
>
> > So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> > Source to "=[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> > selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> > use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> > to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> > text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> > Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> > respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> > if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> > being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> > with the value.
>
> > Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
>
> > Anyone have a different approach to this?
>
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Jeff
2/2/2010 11:30:29 PM
Andrew

I'll suggest that you re-post your question.  That way, more folks are
likely to see it and jump in.

> [...]

> > that record for editing.
>
> > So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> > Source to "=[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> > selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> > use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> > to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> > text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> > Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> > respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> > if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> > being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> > with the value.
>
> > Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
>
> > Anyone have a different approach to this?

Jeff
2/3/2010 12:10:25 AM
Hi try the code below, this works for me, when I double click fields in my
datasheet it opens the form "mainauditdata" for viewing individual records,
this VBA code is copied to all the fields in the datasheet in the "double
click" option in visual basic, so is does not matter which field in the
datasheet you double click on. so just replace my "mainauditdata" with your
form name and the stLinkCriteria with the name of your primary key field(mine
is ID) hope this helps.
Regards
Tony

Private Sub Area_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
    stDocName = "mainauditdata"
    stLinkCriteria = "[ID]=" & Me![ID]
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

    DoCmd.Maximize
End Sub

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> [...]
> > > that record for editing.
> >
> > > So far I put a hidden textbox on the main form and set it's Control
> > > Source to "=[Subform]![RecID]. The textbox is updated with the RecID
> > > selected. The problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out how to
> > > use this value to update the current record the main form is showing
> > > to match that RecID. I'm particularly hung up on the events for the
> > > text box. I can't get any of the following events to fire: Before
> > > Update, After Update, On Dirty, or On Change. I have code that should
> > > respond to all of those events that just pops up a message box to see
> > > if the code is executing, but none of them do. So, the textbox is
> > > being updated, but I can't get an event to fire so as to do anything
> > > with the value.
> >
> > > Anyone have an explanation as to why these events aren't firing?
> >
> > > Anyone have a different approach to this?

Increment a number based on four adjoing cells
I am using an xlsx spreadsheet for indexing metadata for file folders. Based on the metadata selected from dropdowns in columns H, I & J, the spreadsheet builds a file number in the format AA-AA-NN-nnnnn (A=alpha; N=predetermined number; nnnnn= sequential number). I'm using the following formulas: Col B =VLOOKUP(H577,FUNCTIONLU,2) Col C =VLOOKUP(I577,CATEGORYLU,2) Col D =VLOOKUP(J577,TYPELU,2) Col E =IF(D576="","",IF(COUNTIF($D$2:$D576,$D576)=1,TEXT(0,"00001")+0,IF(COUNTIF($D$2:$D576,D576)>1,INDEX($E$2:$E576,MATCH($D576,$D$2:$...

To Record in Form View from Query
I have a query run from FORM view using a button. To view records associated with parameters built in the query. I would like to select the record and view it back in the FORM view and continue on editing from there. Is it possible to add a column in my query with this type of feature or something along those lines?! -- DrewBe Hi, people usually do this sort of thing with 2 forms. The first form allows a user to choose which record they want to edit. After they choose the record there will be a button to click or sometimes a double click which opens the second form with only the re...

Reply's from MS Publisher Forms
I have added a response form to my website, However when i click submit ,it returns error 404. In the from form prperties i have entered my email address. I have check that my server is running MS Frontpage extensions, how do i get the form to send reply 's to my email address, & how do i create a confirmation page. Please can anyone help with submitting forms so i can recieve a reply from it. Many thanks Brelade. A reference article Publisher web publication forms 101 http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80564.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.co...

Bulk Import only Imports 15 records?
Hi All, I use bulk import to insert records from CSV (save as from Excel) file to CRM Contact Entities. But, everytime the bulk import runs, it can only succesfully import 15 records, although there are more than 15 records in the CSV file. I have tried to create a new CSV file and ensure that is nothing wrong with the 15th records, but same problem occurs. Any idea how to solve this? On Aug 22, 9:50 am, Gunady <Gun...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I usebulkimportto insertrecordsfrom CSV (save as from Excel) file > to CRM Contact Entities. But, everytime thebulkimportruns, it ...

Need help with a project sheet, need date to show/not show based o
Hello, I have the following formula in cell S2 =IF(B2="","",DATE(YEAR(B2),MONTH(B2),DAY(B2)+31)) This takes a date in cell B2 and adds 31 days to it and displays it. What I need to do is to NOT have cell S2 show any date if anything is in cell D2. I'm not very adept at Vis Basic if that what it will take to do it. Thanks Max Hi, No need for code =IF(OR(B2="",D2<>""),"",DATE(YEAR(B2),MONTH(B2),DAY(B2)+31)) Mike "Max" wrote: > Hello, > > I have the following formula in cell ...

Budget input form/worksheet
Anyone got a form or worksheet that staff members can use to provide input on their organization's annual budget? We are a non-profit trying to work smarter. Our Director tasked me yesterday with developing something that can be given to the staff members, in a standard format, that can be easily consolidated into a central proposed budget. Rather than (possibly) reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd ask the readers of this NG if this has been done and is available as a download. TIA -- Mike Webb Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc. a 501 (c)(3) organization ...

Set value in a query when opening a form
I have in a database an append query which has a Yes/No field Append. The query appends only those records where the Append field value is set to No (0). In the OnOpen event of a form, I want to first run the append query to add any new records, then set the value of the Append field to Yes (-1), then finish opening or loading the form. How can I do this programmaticaly? Ivor Ivor: You can do this using DAO. In the VBA editor, open the Tools menu, select References, and, in the References dialog, select Microsoft DAO 3.6. Close the References dialog. In the database window, create ...

cascade combobox with one combobox in a subform
I have a form with a subform. The formfPerfEmissionGua) has a field called FuelClass. (Gas,Liquid,Duel,Multi) The subform(fPerfEmissionGuaDetails)is based off of a table called tFuel with the fields... FuelID -- GasLiquid -- FuelName 1 -- Gas -- Propane 2 -- Gas -- Buthane 3 -- Liquid -- JetA 4 -- Liquid -- Crude The subform is used as a dropdown choice of the above fields. It is a contiguous form. I would like to be able to choose the FuelClass - Gas in the main form, and the sub form drop down only show the fuels for Gas only (Pro...

Locking a record from futher changes
How can I lock a record after someone changes it in a form so that no more changes can be made to that record. I have a database that tracks items as either being in stock or out of stock. When we do inventory I would like to lock a record so that it can not be change back in my form. So when I'm doing inventory and an item is out of stock and a clerk clicks on the out of stock button that record is locked and someone can not accidently go in change it back. The only way I would like it to changed it was that I would have to go into the table myself and change it or I create ano...

How do I import my mailboxes from a web-based email to Outlook?
I just started using Outlook 2003. I previously used a web-based email service through my university (similar to hotmail, for example) in which all of my emails were saved in cyberspace instead of my computer and therefore accessible from around the world. Now that I am using Outlook, I would like to somehow transfer all the mailboxes I had created in my web-based email service to Outlook so that it is all in one place. Is this possible? Right now, the only mailbox contents which were transferred from the web-based email service is the Inbox. But I can't figure out how to get my oth...

does GP print 1099-B forms?
Does GP print other 1099's besides DIV, MISC and INT? Thanks. Up through GP 10 it's still DIV, Misc and INT by default. Mark On Jan 15, 11:15=A0pm, "6538" <beach_house1...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does GP print other 1099's besides DIV, MISC and INT? > > Thanks. ...

importing with a custom contact form results in a notes record
I am importing a comma deliniated dos file to a contacts sub-folder using a custom contacts form and the imported records arrive in a notes format rather than my custom contact format. When I add a record manually the custom form produces the desired result. My form starts with IPM.Contact.Principals. What am I doing wrong? and can I change a notes record to a contact record after the fact. I am using Outlook 2000. Thanks ...

Form not functioning properly
I've got a form that I use the following code to open. Private sub lbl_Admin_Click me.visible = false DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Admin" 'Don't go back to the main form while "frm_Admin" is loaded While CurrentProject.AllForms("frm_Admin").IsLoaded: DoEvents: Wend me.visible = true end sub I use this code, rather than opening the form in Dialog mode, because "frm_Admin" has a couple of buttons on it that hide it, and open other forms. If I didn't have the While:Wend loop in here, when I hide frm_Admin, my splash screen ...

about form refresh
Hi guys: I show a messagebox on the form that it has a parent, the form and its parent are both inherit CWnd, and they are the same size. when I close the messagebox, the form's OnPaint() isn't actived, but the whole form refresh, its OnPaint() is actived.I don't why. Now, I want to write some codes in the OnPaint().The form's OnPaint() is actived when the form' s small rect refresh not whole. how to do that? Thanks! Best regards PPDragon Try calling Invalidate() when you want to refresh the entire window. Tom "PPDragon" <zouqun@ynmail.co...

Counting Records after filtering by feilds
I am working on a project that will create a report to count the number of open work orders (records that have their opendate field with in a date range given), close work orders (records that have their closeddate field with in the same date range given earlier) and pending work orders (records that do not have an entry in the closed date field). I don't know how to (a) prompt the user for a given date range, im thinking of maybe using a form interface? Is it possible for me to have a calander button to click to select a date from there? and (b) To count the what was previously describe...

Choosing a field's record based on date
Hi. I am newish to Access and have a question. My friends familiar with Access don't know the answer to this one either. I feel like it is just on the tip of my brain but I can't get it. How can I select an item in a table based on the date? For example, an employee may have many hourly wages listed by date of hire and subsequent raises. How do I pick the right wage based on a given date? (Looking back at labor reports, I want to solve this question: On this day the employee worked 10.5 hours. What did he earn?) I have an employee list table and a linked wages table that show...

Record shift or change on form
When the application is left alone with a record displayed on a form, it sometimes jumps to another record without any keyboard or mouse input. Is this a bug? Any plausible explanations? Karl On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:27:02 -0700, Karl H <KarlH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Some VBA code is making this happen, perhaps from a Timer event. -Tom. >When the application is left alone with a record displayed on a form, it >sometimes jumps to another record without any keyboard or mouse input. >Is this a bug? Any plausible explanations? >Karl Hi Tom, I have 200 users, and ...

Customizing a Popup Form as a Message Box
How does a person create a message box which is a popup form instead of the standard boring gray rectangle? Im reasonably new to this but here is the approach i would start on create a form to look however you want with a unbound textbox.. set its Modal property yes (has to be closed to continue) then in your code where you had a message box DoCmd.OpenForm "messageform" Forms.messageform.messagetextbox = "here is your text" hope this helps Barry "VWP1" wrote: > How does a person create a message box which is a popup form instead of the ...

Query and Form to edit record
Hello Friends, So, I have a few tables: tblAgency Agency_ID = PK tblLOC LOC_ID = PK tblProgram Prm_Code = PK Agency_ID = FK LOC_ID = FK tblCensusEvent CensusEvent_ID = PK Prm_Code = FK CensusDate Census Discharges Admissions I have a great form with subform where I use a dropdown to choose the agency and it's program and then input the census, discharge and admission data for a specific date. Now I want a form where I can choose the Agency and it's Program in a similar dropdown and find that record with the census date, census, discharge and admission data and edit it if I n...

Enter values in table from form using dlookup
Hi, Just wondering if it's possible to put values in a table, using data entered on a form? Like if the person enters for item a, 1, then it adds 1 to item A in a table. I've tried dlookup(blah) = me.text1 but it doesn't work. Thanks Dear s4: What you want is the way it is supposed to work. You don't need to do a lookup to move data from a form to a table, you simply need to "bind" your form to the table (or a query based on the table). Every form has a "Record Source" property; which should be the name of the table or query you want to be the source ...

get/change operation on SY_Current_Activity record already locked
We just upgraded to GP 9.0 with SP2 on SQL Server 2005 Express and we cannot login to GP. Both of the 2 licensed concurrent users are showing as already logged in the system. Since they are on GP 9.0, it gives them the delete activity screen, but then gives an error message and they can go no further. These are the two following erorr messages: “A get/change operation on table ‘SY_Current_Activity’ failed the record was already locked” “A get/change operation on table ‘SY_End_Routines_Check_MSTR’ (45)” (When I click on more information, I get more detail that says the disk might ...

MX records & SMTP connector
I have a SBS 2003 Std server with Exchange 2003 and I want to get my mail system up and running..... I have configured an mx for mail.mydomain.com, and a pointer from my private ip to mail.mydomain.com. What else do I need to do?...other than have my public ip handy when setting up the register for my domain. I have tried to send mail for testing and it lets me send mail to everyone except for verizon.net domain members? Also, is MX for send and receive? My outgoing must current be using smtp. I need to change that to MX outgoing correct? Sorry for so many questions..... Test your ...

Opening XFDL form using VBA
I have a electronic form that is in the format of XFD or XFDL. The IBM Lotus Form Viewer is used to open the form, enter information and can be printed, saved, or emailed. I have a need to open the form from an Access database and pass data to it, populating the form. I have tried many methods, including FollowHyperlink, and the form does not open. The viewer starts but it is blank. I even tried to open the viewer and pass SendKeys command to do a CTRL+O to open the form, but that doesn't even work. It's as if the viewer is blocking the access to the form. I can...

selecting data from a list #2
Thank you gentleman (I presume based on the names) for your help. Th sumproduct command worked perfectly. I'm still not sure how, since I' expect that since non-numerical data is assumed to be zero (shouldn' that return a zero? Zero times anything is zero, and the sum o that...nevermind). But you guys saved me some time. This is th solution I was looking for. Dav -- dave0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dave05's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Get name of selected item for a product
Column A is with names of items. Columns B to D are for entering value of items for products B to D. Value of item is set to be max. 1 and only one item can be selected fo a product. Row1 A B C D Row2 Lamp 1 0 0 Row3 Diode 0 1 1 Row4 2Pin 0 0 0 Row5 (result) Lamp Diode Diode I need to get the result, in the last row of each product as, name o product that has been selected. What should be the formula -- Me...