How to add a column to an existing table and fill it (i.e., fill down) with a particular word / number

Hello - I have a basic question.

How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it
so that it repeats all the way down the column?

Thanks.
0
Mike
3/16/2008 3:03:04 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi Mike

What is the point of doing this.  If you have a million records you will
have a million repetitions of the same text string.

If you "really" don't want to add the word as and when needed (very simple
in a query report or form) you could use an update querry (if the word may
change) or just add a default to the table field which will allow overwritting

But again there seems to be no point in this

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Mike C" wrote:

> Hello - I have a basic question.
>
> How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it
> so that it repeats all the way down the column?
>
> Thanks.

Create the column with table > design

then create the query Update mytable.columnName set mynNwRow = "whatever"

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello - I have a basic question.
>
> How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it
> so that it repeats all the way down the column?
>
> Thanks.

0
Jim
3/16/2008 3:56:57 PM
err - oops - well the query's something more like

Update myTable SET myNewColumnName = "Whatever"

you can create it in the query generator -perhaps bet to try it on a copy of
the table first!!!

"Jim Bunton" <wbbr26814@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Create the column with table > design
>
> then create the query Update mytable.columnName set mynNwRow = "whatever"
>

> "Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello - I have a basic question.
>>
>> How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it
>> so that it repeats all the way down the column?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
Jim
3/16/2008 4:01:54 PM

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> сообщил(а) в новостях
> Hello - I have a basic question.
>
> How do I add a new column to an existing table, and place a word in it
> so that it repeats all the way down the column?
>
> Thanks.

0
viktor

number rounding in MS Excel

update column

PA Misc. Log Tables

Unique items in a Pivot table
Let us say I have this data scenario Customer Project Type C1 P1 New C2 P2 New C2 P3 New C3 P4 Existing Using Pivot table, can I create a chart to show that I have 2 New customers and 1 Existing customer New - 2 Existing - 1 i want to create a chart of this table A pivot table won't calculate a unique count. However, you could add a column to the database, then add that field to the pivottable. For example, if you want to count the customers in column A, use the following formula in row 2: =IF...

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Setting up a new e-mail account

automaticaly create a variable sized table from user input
Hi, How can I user data input to a cell by a user to create a table with that number of rows. eg. User enters 1024 in B2 165 in B3 12.5 in B4 A10 would contain 1, B10 would contain =B3+(A10*$B$4) A11 would contain 2, B11 would contain =B3+(A11*$B$4) etc to 1024 The user entered number in B2 could be any whole number between 1 and 1024 Thanks, Iain I could make this better but other things to do right now so try this. Uncomment the last line to remove the formula and just leave the values. Sub makeformula() Range("a10") = 1 Range("b10").Formula = "=B3+(A10*$B$4)...

Replying to an Outlook e-mail

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

how many receivers i can add

Phone Number Filtering

Fractions Number format

Roman and Arabic numbers in SEQ
Running 2003 on XP. Got a doc that has SEQ numbering. The code is: ARTICLE{seq level0\h\r0}{seq level1\h\r0} etc. to level 7 and the last entry is {seq level0\r1\*ROMAN) This displays ARTICLE I The next level down is has this code: {seq level0\c\*ROMAN}.{seq level1\r1 \*arabic} This displays as : I.1, with numbers until article five displaying as V.1, V.2, etc. I want it to display as 1.1, 1.2, etc. I tried replacing the ROMAN with arabic, but it didn't change anything. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Using reveal formating and styles, they are no styles...

Rounding Numbers #3