How? Default is current date, but user can edit if needed?

I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to
change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask
__/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
eliminate keystrokes for the user.

Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's
date.

How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
field if the field defaults to current date?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

When a field has a default value, it can be changed as you want.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Star Taylor" <StarTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a
> mask
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.
>
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect
> yesterday's
> date.
>
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
> field if the field defaults to current date?

0
Douglas
6/4/2007 2:54:25 PM
At the table design, put in Date() for the default value for the field. This
will put in the current date for NEW records. It will not change existing
records. A user can change the date when they create the record or edit it at
a later time.

A common problem is when the default value, formatting, and input masks
aren't all the same. For example the formatting calls for a 4-digit year but
the input mask only accepts 2. Make sure that they are all the same or Access
will complain.

Also don't use the Short Date format as it can either be 2 or 4-character
years depending on a particular computer's regional settings. It might not
work with your input masks.  Consider using the following:

Format: mm/dd/yy
Input Mask: 99/99/00;0;_
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Star Taylor" wrote:

> I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.
>
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's
> date.
>
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
> field if the field defaults to current date?
As others have pointed out, use the Date() function to default to =
today's date.  I would not use an input mask on a date, especially since =
your boss wants to save keystrokes.  An input mask can slow the user =
down more than help at times.

Depending on your computer's Regional Settings, you can enter 6/4 for =
today's date, and Access will assume the current year.  Because 6/4 =
could be interpreted as June 4 or April 6 (again depending on Regional =
Settings), it is important to provide an unambiguous format on the =
textbox so that the user knows whether their entry has been interpreted =
as intended.  Use a format of
dd/mmm/yyyy or mmm/dd/yyyy

--=20
Joan Wild
Microsoft Access MVP
"Star Taylor" <StarTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
>I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the =
user to=20
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with =
a mask=20
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to=20
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.=20
>=20
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect =
yesterday's=20
> date.=20
>=20
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start =
Date=20
> field if the field defaults to current date?
0
Joan

in CRM Mobile, Can we assign / apply rules ?
Both in CRM Mobile and Mobile Express, I didn't see any function about assign / apply rules / convert ... These functions are not available out of box. You can however, create workflow rules that "watches" for some changes to field records so it can be triggered wheneven those fields are updated by CRM Mobile or Mobile Express. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com "Goldensun" wrote: > Both in CRM Mobile and Mobile Express, I didn't see any function about assign > / apply rules / convert ... ...

can't access public folders with OWA
Hi, I have Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 Installed everything works fine, except when trying to access Public folders via Outlook Web Access, after going to the location its asks for username and password - this works ok and the folder is displayed, but when trying to add a folder or post a note or do anything I get: You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. I have tested on client machines, remote machine and the exchange server as administrator with no luck. does anyone have any...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

due date function
I try to make function for due payment. When I made copy file and then drag down the formula and it's succed. But for the cell that I not fill yet has due date also. How to make that cell became 0 (zero) if not fill the cell yet. example : A1 A2 19/8/05 =A1+30 - 30/01/00 - 30/01/00 Thanks Lando =IF(C5=""; "" ;C5+30) Explanation detail if ([logical test] c5 equals ""; then [result if true] ""; else [result if false] c5+30) Explanation brief if c5 eq...

Date datatype in my schema
I have created a simple XML document, generated a schema from it (which Visual Studio makes everything a string element). I then went through and changed all fields that are dates to the Date data type. Now, when I use the datagrid to edit the data in the XML file and then switch back to the raw XML text date, the dates are formatted like this "1973-10-27T00:00:00.0000000-06:00" and not as I expected, which are supposed to be a simple date, such as "1973-10-27" as per the W3C spec. Also, when I validate the document, it fails on all date elements with this error: C:\Doc...

How can I default a lookup field to a particular value.
How can I default a lookup field to a certain value, but still allow the user to modify the field if necessary? Thanks, Bob Johnson you mean a drop down or picklist? "Bob" <rjohnson@reveregroup.com> wrote in message news:1130947400.655495.115390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > How can I default a lookup field to a certain value, but still allow > the user to modify the field if necessary? > > Thanks, > > Bob Johnson > i have the same question in crm 3.0. i want a default value in a lookup filed. i also want to create a lookup field by my self....

Office Default Mail Client
I removed the beta version of microsoft office and installed the MSDN version this weekend but I can not set the defalut mail client as Outlook. It will not let me edit it in outlook or through control panel. Does anyone know how I might repair this, I tried to fix the mail client in the registery by deleting it and running repair on on the outlook setup but this did not fix my problem. Mark wrote: >I removed the beta version of microsoft office and installed the MSDN version >this weekend but I can not set the defalut mail client as Outlook. It will >not let me ed...

I need help with a formula
Hi everyone I'm making a stock list sheet and I like to put on it the value - and + .. like when I take boxes out it will give me the total and when I add in it will change also. This is for a weekly count. I'm very new to excel so please H-E-L-P-. I need the instruction like u give it to a child. :) :) Thanks a lot -- pampam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pampam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26224 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395241 We need ...

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Can't Send/Recieve
For some odd reason thins morning when I start Windows Mail it claims there are 'No new Messages.WM is set to 'Send and Recieve at Startup.' Also the Send/Recieve button is disabled. When I go online and access my email account with my it shows several emails sated today. I was using Windows Live Mail and had problems uninstalling it and reluctantly went and deleted the folder for Windows Live 'casue I don't use any of the other products. Any ideas, Thanks, James Somehow the account got removed. I recreated it and it's ok now. Thanks, Jame...

Getting date stored as text into real date?
A database query program outputs everything as a text string. One of the fields is a date, formatted as yyyymmdd. Is there a worksheet function that will change this to an Excel-recognized date? Or a macro? The error checking doesn't flag this. Ed With your text date in A1, try this in B1: =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),(RIGHT(A1,2)) Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 17, 1:12 pm, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote: > A database query program outputs everything as a text string. One of > the fields is a date, formatted as yyyymmdd. Is there a worksheet > function t...

How far ahead of due date?
Hi all: The answer to this question probably varies depending upon one's banking institution but I'll ask the question anyway... :-) Typically how far ahead of the actual due date of bill should we schedule payment of that bill in Money when paying online using a bill pay service? Thanks -Mike You answered your own question. Depends on the FI. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Mike" <Mike@di...

newbie needs help
Hello, First to let you all know, I am a big novice at this kind of stuff, so please bear with me. What I am trying to do is make a trendchart with 9 different plots on it. How do I change the numbers on the side and bottom of the chart to read what I need them to? I take these tests 3 times a week and would like to chart all of them seperately and also together to chart progress for a whole month. One for each day, and then one for the month. Then I would like to do the same for the following months of the year. And I would like to have one chart to show the progress for the whole...

Need to truncate a transaction log
I have a database which is 2 GB but the log file has grown to 35 GB. I would like to truncate the log so I set the recovery method to SIMPLE but the log file did not truncate after last night's backup. This has worked for other databases and I get a small log file. Later, I reset the recovery method back to FULL. Rich Lawson Rich Lawson (nospam@nospam.com) writes: > I have a database which is 2 GB but the log file has grown to 35 GB. I > would like to truncate the log so I set the recovery method to SIMPLE > but the log file did not truncate after last night&...

I need to write this formula in basic
Hi! Does anyone know how to write this formula in Basic. I need to make it work in Openoffice because Excel seems to crash with a list of 20000 people. =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP((RC1&R1C),Sheet1!R2C1:R45000C4,4,0)),"""",VLOOKUP ((RC1&R1C),Sheet1!R2C1:R45000C4,4,0)) Thanks!! ...

Need Help with Formula #3
I need help trying to come up with a formula for a friend of mine. This is what he wants -- Using any 9 numbers -- he wants Excel to come up with every possible 3-digit combination of numbers that are divisible by 7. Is there anyone who could assist me with a formula that will perform this calculation? Can Excel do such a calculation? Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer. In A1, enter the number 7. Select A1:A142. Edit>Fill>Series, Step value 7. Format>Cells>Custom, "000". If with "using any 9 numbers" you mean you don't want any zero...

FRx Report Date won't change
We have a customer that has a GP Fiscal Year of 9073. Apparently, an AP transaction had accidentally been posted with a document date of 9073. So, in order to void that transaction, they created the fiscal year of 9073. Now, in FRx when they try to change the Report Date to December 2008, FRx changes the report date to December 9072. We've tried deleting the .g32 file and rebuilding the FRx GL Index. We've also tried deleting the SY40100 and SY40101 tables, rebuilding the Fiscal Periods in GP then rebuilding the FRx GL index but we still can use the 12/2008 date in FRx. Any...

Latest Exchange Administrator Needed admin.exe = 5.5.2655.33
If any body knows were to download the Exchange Admin (admin.exe Version 5.5.2655.33). I am having a problem with mailbox sizes being incorrectly diplayed in Exchange admin. I have dozens of Executives that have mailboxes over 4 or 5 GB and I have no way of correctly reporting there sizes other than using ExMerge. Please help..... Hi Ed, You will need to call into our Tech Support and refer to the following Knowledge Base article and tell them that you need the hotfix. 305829 XADM: Incorrect Mailbox Size Is Displayed in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305829 -- Thanks,...

How to organize access to PWA for external user?
I have Project Server installed in "standalone" configuration. Is that possible to organize access to PWA for CUSTOMER (person who play role of Project manager in customer organization) with observance of conditions: 1.CUSTOMER should have ability to have access only to those files, that regards HIS organisation. 2.CUSTOMER should'not have rights to change any data in those files. Thanks! from your question I understand that you want to provide access to external users may be they are customers , partners and remote users. First tell your Network Administrator...

OWA reply shows broken link in the form area
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C5AE18.43CE9F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, When I reply to a message from within OWA, I get a broken link in the = areas where I would type. It's as if it can't find the form or = something. It's not a signature file problem from what I can tell. Any ideas? ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C5AE18.43CE9F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &q...

Calcualting the time between email received date and reply date
Hi My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how many days a message got replied? Thanks Shanks Shanks <Shanks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a > message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how > many days a message got replied? WIth Outlook 2003, one can observe the received time and compare it to the "You replied" time shown in the Info Bar. -- Brian Tillman Hi Brian Is there a...

downloaded balance and date
The balance and date under the "Downloaded:" title at the top left corner(while viewing my account), do not update to the most current information, after I import my bank's OFX file. I looked into my bank's OFX file. The XML seems have the necessary information to update the downloaded balance and date, but it doesn't work. Can someone please help? ...

Outlook 2003 SP2
Hi Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) I read a particular email? Lou Lou, you wrote on Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:16:50 +1000: > Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) > I read a particular email? No. BTW: SP3 for Office 2003 has been released: http://tinyurl.com/mb2dj -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net You can expose the replied to time (http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm) but I don't know if you can expose a read time. Modified time won't work because marki...

calculate new date & prompt when due
Hi there, Hope someone help me on this pls....:) I have 3 columns Col 1: Key in Start Date Col 2: Select Period (I display this as a drop down list of say 1 day 5 days, 7 days) Col 3: Calculate Due Date How can I automatically calculate the 3rd Column based on Col1 & Col2 and also make it red and bolded if the date is due (ie today or past)? On a side note, if I have a column of running numbers, ie 1,2,3,4,.. how do I make sure this list is auto extended when I add on new rows? thanks, much appreciate -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: if your dropdown lis...

why does wrord change the origianl date when I open a saved doc
I do not want word to change the date of a saved doc when i open it I assume that the reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE \@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location. See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automat...