How? Default is current date, but user can edit if needed?

I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to
change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask
__/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
eliminate keystrokes for the user.

Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's
date.

How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
field if the field defaults to current date?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

When a field has a default value, it can be changed as you want.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Star Taylor" <StarTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a
> mask
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.
>
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect
> yesterday's
> date.
>
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
> field if the field defaults to current date?

0
Douglas
6/4/2007 2:54:25 PM
At the table design, put in Date() for the default value for the field. This
will put in the current date for NEW records. It will not change existing
records. A user can change the date when they create the record or edit it at
a later time.

A common problem is when the default value, formatting, and input masks
aren't all the same. For example the formatting calls for a 4-digit year but
the input mask only accepts 2. Make sure that they are all the same or Access
will complain.

Also don't use the Short Date format as it can either be 2 or 4-character
years depending on a particular computer's regional settings. It might not
work with your input masks.  Consider using the following:

Format: mm/dd/yy
Input Mask: 99/99/00;0;_
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Star Taylor" wrote:

> I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.
>
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's
> date.
>
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date
> field if the field defaults to current date?
As others have pointed out, use the Date() function to default to =
today's date.  I would not use an input mask on a date, especially since =
your boss wants to save keystrokes.  An input mask can slow the user =
down more than help at times.

Depending on your computer's Regional Settings, you can enter 6/4 for =
today's date, and Access will assume the current year.  Because 6/4 =
could be interpreted as June 4 or April 6 (again depending on Regional =
Settings), it is important to provide an unambiguous format on the =
textbox so that the user knows whether their entry has been interpreted =
as intended.  Use a format of
dd/mmm/yyyy or mmm/dd/yyyy

--=20
Joan Wild
Microsoft Access MVP
"Star Taylor" <StarTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
>I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the =
user to=20
> change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with =
a mask=20
> __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to=20
> eliminate keystrokes for the user.=20
>=20
> Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect =
yesterday's=20
> date.=20
>=20
> How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start =
Date=20
> field if the field defaults to current date?
0
Joan

Can't use Merge feature
If I have a postcard file I've already made on the screen, when I try to pull up the "Merge" feature under Tools, it is shaded grey and I can't open it. It insists that I either form a new database list of addresses or edit the one that I want to merge. I don't want to edit the one I want to merge. I just want to MERGE it. If, however, I have just a postcard template on the screen (without it having been made into anything), I CAN pull up the "merge" feature under Tools. It is not shaded out. How do I un-shade the "merge" feature? To merg...

3-Color Scale Vlookup for Current Month/Previous/Pre-Previous
Is it possible to Conditionally Format a cell so that the colors are based off of VLOOKUP's? What I mean is I have a table on another tab and it has by month how complete the build is. I want the conditional format to color the percent of the current month red, percent of previous month yellow and pre-previous month green. I tried putting the formula =("41227-1",BuildData,18,FALSE) as the current, = ("41227-1",BuildData,17,FALSE) as the previous, and = ("41227-1",BuildData,16,FALSE) as the pre-previous. However, it uses only the cells value to colo...

To write living will do I need special format
I just need to change and update a living trust You should consult someone with the appropriate legal knowledge in the jurisdiction in which you are domiciled. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "belladonna" <belladonna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F25A64CB-355F-44E9-A005-16AA61DA15A7@microsoft.com... > I just need to change and update a living trust ...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

can you tell me what an error 920 is?
I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is appreciated You can go to the following link and it explains the issue you are having and how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295691 "Julie" wrote: > I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep > getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is > appreciated > > > ...

can you see what i am writting?

Saving User Settings in Outlook...
Hello everyone, Does anyone know how to save the user settings for MS outlook 2003? Thanks to all who reply, Ismael The reason I would like to be able to save the user settings is so I'll be able to restore these settings should I need to in case I had to do a clean install of WinXP and office 2003 either on the same computer of on another newly bought computer. Thanks to all who reply, Ismael "Ismael" <I_Tena@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ueqwqfaHGHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > Does anyone know how to save the user setting...

How can I choose alternate rows in a column?
My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can choose alternate elements and create 2 new columns then I can just subtract the 2 columns easily. Huh? "pnair" <pnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D47AD012-084B-49C6-8672-5067E8455D9E@microsoft.com... > My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of > difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can > choose alternate elements and create 2 new colum...

Hot Dates
Hi, I have a Year-at-a-Glance worksheet into which users enter important dates and associated actions to be taken. I now want to use Conditional Formatting to highlight specific entries in the worksheet when their date matches today's date. The problem I have is that I need to convert data from three independent cells into a date to compare it with 'TODAY()'. The first cell (formatted as a number) carries the day, e.g. 2, 17, 23, etc. The second cell (formatted as General) carries the month, e.g. January, March, September, etc. The third cell (formatted as a num...

suggestion needed !!!!!!!!!!
In my company the want to calculate phone calls done by each sales person at the end of the day. Please give me suggestion how to implement this. Mahain, A quick solution would be 1) Create an advance find view based on the criteria you are looking for ie. Activity of the type phone call, Status = completed 2) Export the list to Excel (Dynamic pivot table/worksheet) 3) If pivot : Drag and drop relavent fields 3) If worksheet: filter by date and use sum. The advantage of dynamic excel report is it updates itself when ever you open the sheet. Hope this is helpful Venkat http://venkatbendalam...

Integration Manager need a registration key for test company?
Hi all, Can anyone tell if I need the registration key for IM if I am doing some testings on Test company (World Online)? Also, can I specify the company database in IM for the data to import to? Please advise. Thanks You do not need a reg key for the Two Company, and if you are using the standard adapter the data will integrate into the Company that is open in Great Plains. You can Specify which database you want to integrate into by using the SQL Optimizer. You do not need great Plains open for this adapter. "Terry" wrote: > Hi all, > > Can anyone tell if I nee...

User Authentication Error
Hello All, I am running CRM 3.0. I have the system administrator role. When attempting to merge 2 account records I receive an error that states, "The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." I cannot merge the records. If anyone can, please advise. thanks. Keith ...

Can't Stop External Hard Drive
I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port. I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them. I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer. But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped. It used to be that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive. But that's stopped working. Here are two questions: 1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?; 2. What is the worst that can happe...

User Defined Required Fields
I have set several field on sub window Sales User-Defined Fields Entry of Sales Transaction Entry as "Required". If the user remembers to click User-Defined, then they become required. But if the user never clicks on User-Defined from Sales Transaction Entry, then they can still save the new document without the required fields entered. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this asside from continual user training? Your answer is VBA. You own Modifer, so you also have VBA enabled. You'll need to write VBA code to open the window (literally, push the button) then set th...

Insert Static Date as part of Macro
I've built a nice macro, but I want it to insert the date it is run in an empty cell within the macro's range. When working within a spreadsheet, Ctrl +; returns the system date, but I can't figure out how to put that command into a macro. The macro recorder editor shows that the system recognizes the entry as the current date, not a function that returns the current date. The now() or today() functions are both dynamic ... they change with the system date. That's not acceptable in this situation. I need to seen when the macro was run. Thanks for any help, Ralph di...

the user authentication passed to the platform is not valid 09-20-06
Anyone receive this error message in the CRM Outlook Client? "The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." Thanks, Scott ...