how can I display a custom error prompt?

I have a form that has required fields... How can I display a message that
says something like, "You must enter a city, state and zip code"?

I'm not much of a coder, but if someone can give me an example, I can
usually figure it out....

Thanks in advance!

Kelvin

0
Kelvin
6/13/2007 8:35:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi

The basics are that you can display a message box on many events (on even
non-events) on a form, like this

MsgBox "Some message here", vbOKOnly, "Message title"

So if you ant to display the message after controlABC on a form has lost the
focus you can use something like
Private Sub  controlABC1_LostFocus()
MsgBox "Some message here", vbOKOnly, "Message title"
End Sub

This is not much so you could include the criteria that if the control has
the value of 123 only then should the message be displayed.  Like this
Private Sub  controlABC1_LostFocus()
If Me.contolABC = 123
MsgBox "Some message here", vbOKOnly, "Message title"
End If
End Sub

You can add a cancel option to the message box - Cancel - Continue.  You can
display the box if the incorrect value is entered in "another" control or the
sum of other controls adds up to XYZ, etc, etc etc.

There are so many option that if would be better if you gave a specific
question and someone will be able to offer more detailed answer

Hope this helps

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Kelvin Beaton" wrote:

> I have a form that has required fields... How can I display a message that
> says something like, "You must enter a city, state and zip code"?
>
> I'm not much of a coder, but if someone can give me an example, I can
> usually figure it out....
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kelvin

On the control properties, on the data tab,
put something into the 'validation rule'
and into the 'validation text' properties

(david)

Kelvin Beaton wrote:
> I have a form that has required fields... How can I display a message that
> says something like, "You must enter a city, state and zip code"?
>
> I'm not much of a coder, but if someone can give me an example, I can
> usually figure it out....
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kelvin

0
DAVID

how can i access CRM from ouside LAN
Hi All, if i have a implementation of MS CRM 3 in my office. All users of CRM can access it from within the LAN through windows authentication. How can they access it from their home or some remote position. i dont want to use offline CRM/outlook functionality. Can i access MS CRM 3 online from anywhere on internet, something like assignin it some IP. Please explain. You can serve it out just as you would any other website in IIS. Make sure you use an SSL certificate so your CRM data is protected behind https. If your CRM server has a fixed external IP address or is reachable via a URL, y...

Links is in gray color (deactivate). How can I activate?
In Edit Menu, I want to change the Links source but can do it as it is grayed. Help please. Thans Click the edit meun and hold the "shift" key together. yclhk "Rechie" wrote: > In Edit Menu, I want to change the Links source but can do it as it is grayed. > Help please. > Thans > Hi, Links Menu is still with gray color which means is not activated. "yclhk" wrote: > Click the edit meun and hold the "shift" key together. > > yclhk > > "Rechie" wrote: > > > In Edit Menu,...

Numbers dont display or add up correctly in excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I type in 1000 and it divides all numbers by 100, 23 becomes 0,23. Then if I Sum a list of numbers it doesn't ad up coretly (even the wrong numbers don't add up) Excel doesn't work for me - although the product was provided (bundled) by Apple - apple won't support it - and neither will Microsoft so I end up with no-person to talk to - amazing. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks On 6/5/09 6:35 AM, in article 59b75f96.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Clive@officeformac.com" <Cli...

Can't delete additional "Personel Folders Outlook 2003
I followed a backup procedure form MS Office site that said to check the resulting PST file by opening in Outlook. I did it twice. Well, it created two other "Personal Folder" at the bottom of the Mail/All Mail Folders pane that I cannot delete. I moved or deleted the two backed up PST files so there is no data for the folders to relate to. How can I get rid of these erroneous folders? Gary Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here)...

Data value display attributes linked to table attributes
Is there a way to cause data value points to take on attributes such as bold, italic or color set at the table from which they are derived? For example, suppose I was charting hits at several web sites as function of time, and the some characteristic of the site was being altered back and forth (say font "A" and font "B") as part of an experiment. I can easily produce a line graph x=hits y=time for the various sites, but these is no way to visualize which condition (A or B) was in effect at each data value point. I'd like to be able to display the portion of each li...

rpc 1719 error
Hi all! Why did this happen? "Apricot" <yilu@21cn.com> wrote in message news:sak732tkm37t126bclp4nugs7d3ah0m1q8@4ax.com... | Hi all! | | Why did this happen? Because you didn't tell us what caused it Sorry, I think this is a generic error, and maybe it's a param feeding error in create binding call. I have tried in this code snippet: void _CRTAPI1 main(int argc, char **argv) { RPC_STATUS status; unsigned char * pszUuid = NULL; unsigned char * pszProtocolSequence = "ncacn_np"; unsigned char * pszNetworkAddress = NULL; ...

login screen prompts
When a CRM user open his browser, and enters the URL to the CRM-Server a Login screen is shown. After login, CRM works fine. The user is in the correct domain, is a valid CRM users with sufficient rights. Any suggestions? Add CRM to IE's Local Intranet zone "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8607901B-D99A-46DA-9F70-EAAE692310A1@microsoft.com... > When a CRM user open his browser, and enters the URL > to the CRM-Server a Login screen is shown. > After login, CRM works fine. > > The user is in the correct domain, is a va...

Error adding new contact from inside an account
When trying to add a new contact from inside an account the crm server throws an error. I am thinking this is an issue with the account to contact mapping, but when I try to view the relationship mapping under the contact entity the "mapping" option does not appear. -- Jesse Jesse, Please verify your server is fully patched and that you have restarted it. Jeff Loucks 888-474-2237 MVP "jmcelmury" <jmcelmury@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57B0A285-21DE-48BD-BF9F-49763E2E56CC@microsoft.com... > When trying to add a new contact from inside...

Can I convert an Outlook 2000 PST to Outlook 2003
We have upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Is there a fast way to convert my old PST files to Outlook 2003 so that they are not limited to 2 GB size? I don't want to have to go through all of the folders on 30 computers and drag one folder at a time from the old file to the new file. Thanks, Joe I have had pretty good luck importing. Of course, when you import, you = will no longer have access to any custom forms, views, or Rules Wizard = rules.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.h...

smtpsvc error
I keep getting this error : SMTP could not connect to the DNS server '10.5.2.9'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible. event id 2012. I have looked all over the web for a solution. I have read that is has to to with iis, that is could be my server pointing to an external dns server, etc but have found nothing that can help me. I have checked my dns run netdiag etc no errors. I know udp uses port 53 and ran a utiiity called port query. It tested my connection to see if my mail server is listening on port 53 when I type in the dns servers ip and ...

Accessing Custom fields (propery)
Hi everyone, Any one who can tell me how to access custom fields using the CRM web service? Thanlks, ...

Unable to display the folder...
Hi! I just notice that I cannot access my folders on Outlook Public folder when created a shortcut on my Outlook Today, it just give me this error: Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location But when I will directly check the path, it is accesible. I am using MS Office Outlook 2003 SP2 on Windows XP Pro SP2 thru MS Exchange 2000. I am suddenly having the same problem. If you find a solution, could you please post it or, better yet, send it to me. Thank you "M P" wrote: > Hi! > > I just notice that I...

can I edit a picture to look faded?
I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with text over it. "deborahm" <deborahm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D93DD63-8553-447D-A0AC-44EE0E1BD9B3@microsoft.com... > I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with > text > over it. In Publisher you can do it one of two ways. For both ways start by inserting the picture. Method 1, right click on picture and select Format Picture, click on picture tab, then click on the dropdown for Color under Image Control and select wash...

Getting a LockMatchID error using sp_rename
When I'm trying to rename a table in the tempdb table, I'm getting an error when I run it in a stored procedure or code, but it works ok on MSSMS. I get the error: Invalid EXECUTE statement using object "Object", method "LockMatchID". EXEC sp_rename 'Tempdb.dbo.oldFile' , 'newFile' Don't ask me why I have to mess with the tempdb files (This is probably the problem). But I have old legacy code that writes to the tempdb database. On Jul 14, 10:00=A0am, Cindy Lee <danparker...@yahoo.com> wrote: > When I'm trying to renam...

Error: Hay demasiados formatos de celda diferente.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5C431.45DFE5B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hola: Me aparece un mensaje de error diciendo " Hay demasiados formatos de = celda diferente." siempre que intento cambiar de formato las celdas. Alguien sabe el motivo Gracias ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5C431.45DFE5B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//E...

How can comments be inserted into a document ?
Can comments be inserted into a documents done in Publisher? If so, how? No..not automatically. You should be using Word. There is always the callouts in Autoshapes. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9195C75-EB38-45A2-ABA4-879C86988A9C@microsoft.com... > Can comments be inserted into a documents done in Publisher? If so, how? ...

cannot customize outlook today #9
I have done what it says in the microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 but its not practical to keep changing the registry everytime you want to change outlook today, so i downloaded the update to protect the computer but when i try to run it it says you must have internet explorer 6 with SP1 installed which i do Does anyone have this problem or know how 2 fix it?? ...

Money 2007: Customize asset classes?
Is it possible to customize the pre-defined asset classes in Money 2007? I'd like to slice and dice my portfolio in more detail than just cash/bonds/large-med-small cap/other. For example I have various international and REIT funds in my account. I'd like to track these seperate instead of dumping them in Other.. Also, what about a blend fund that is 70% large, 20% med, 10% small, etc? Customize: No. For the purpose of asset allocation, there's a button labeled 'Change' on the investment details screen. There, you can divvy it up across the pre-determined catego...

Can't connect to links
We have 3 computers all running XP Pro connected through a Linksys router. Problem is when I click on a link in an email on my desktop (Outlook 2003) I am directed to www.comcast.net instead of the site. I have tried several different links. I am able to connect to the sites through my Comcast web based mail, my wife's computer (Outlook 2003) and my laptop (Outlook 2007). I did a detect and repair with the Office 2003 CD and the problem continues. Any ideas please? Thanks, ...

View Customization Question
My director came to me the other day and asked about customizing his view of his accounts. He had two requests. I figured out the first one, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out if he can do the second one. When he opens up a single account, instead of it opening automatically to the Information section, he would like it to automatically open to the Contacts section. Help is much appreciated! Cammie You can make a new tab pn Account form (contact view and make it the first one on account form). Now you use Iframe . you can get idea from here http://icu-mscrm.blogspot....

Pivot Table 2007 display field only in Grand Total
Dear Excel experts, I have a Pivot Table (Excel 2007). As an example, the table consists of two Colum Labels (Expense 1 and Expense 2). Values under the Column Labels are Actual Expense, Budget and Full Year budget. All Values (Actual Expense, Budget and Full Year budget) are totaled in the Grand Total. However, Management want to see Full Year Budget only in Grand Total (not under Expenses 1 and Expense 2). I was manually hiding those values. Is there a way to automate this? Thanks ...

ADO Error Attempting to Link Table
Hi, I am attempting to link a table from an user-level security database to an unsecured databaes. The error I get is: Run Time Error -2147467259, Could not find installable ISAM. I have done much searching but I haven't come up with any solutions. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Option Compare Database Dim adoCn As ADODB.Connection Dim adoCat As New ADOX.Catalog Dim adoTbl As New ADOX.Table Private Sub createlink_Click() 'Create Link.. Set adoCat = New ADOX.Catalog Set adoCat.ActiveConnection = adoCn Set adoTbl.ParentCatalog = adoCat adoTbl.Name = "LinkTable" adoTbl...

Outlook 2000 Error 550 Sender verify failed
Hello all We have one machine on our network that cannot send mail for some reason. Everytime this machine attempts to send mail using Outlook 2000 it fails, reporting the following error: "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. Server response: '550 Sender verify failed'. (Account: 'Fred', smtp server: 'relay.clara.net', error number: 0x8000ccc79)." It is not a simple matter of setting the authentication on the outgoing mail server, as all the other machines on the network (also using Outlook 2000) do...

How do I get rid of this error?
Outlook 2000 I get an error after Outlook runs for a few minutes.... I ran Office repair, removed Office and reinstalled, formatted the and reinstalled the OS and apps....but I still get the error: OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being generated. First of all, I don't know where the error log is....it must be a windows error log. Any ideas? Thanks. Sorry for the post....there's a kb article on this. "SAC" <sac@sac.com> wrote in message news:uYgXneUPGHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP11...

Cannot get datagrid to display data
Hi, I have an XML file that I was hoping to use as a database Here is the code that I have copied that should display the data namespace File_Generation_System { public partial class vrholds : Form { public vrholds() { InitializeComponent(); XmlDataDocument xmlDatadoc = new XmlDataDocument(); xmlDatadoc.DataSet.ReadXml("vrdatabase.xml"); DataSet ds = new DataSet("vrdata DataSet"); ds = xmlDatadoc.DataSet; dataGridView1.DataSource = ds.DefaultViewManager; } But what I g...