help with summing fields in repot

I have a field called ponts assigned in a report. It uses an if statement to
assign points based on which class my students are attending.

I want to sum the total points accrued for each student. In the detail section
I made sure I named the if statement field pointsassigned and then I entered
a text box with =sum([pointsassigned])
when I run the report, It doesn't recognize pointsassigned. I checked
spelling etc.

I even tried =abs(sum([pointsassigned]))

it doesn't recognize the name I assigned. Any thoughts on what I am doing
wrong ?

I appreciate any help

Thanks
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Carla,
    Sounds like you're trying to sum a "calculated" field on your report.
    Claculated fields on the report can not be "directly" added.
    Try doing the calculation in the query behind the report, instead of on
the report.

    For instance, instead of doing a calculation on your report...
        Price * Qty
add that calculation to your query...
        LineTotal : Price * Qty

    Now, place LineTotal on the report, and...
        =Sum(LineTotal)
can be added up in any Footer.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Carla" <Carla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a field called ponts assigned in a report. It uses an if statement
> assign points based on which class my students are attending.
>
> I want to sum the total points accrued for each student. In the detail
> section
> I made sure I named the if statement field pointsassigned and then I
> entered
> a text box with =sum([pointsassigned])
> when I run the report, It doesn't recognize pointsassigned. I checked
> spelling etc.
>
> I even tried =abs(sum([pointsassigned]))
>
> it doesn't recognize the name I assigned. Any thoughts on what I am doing
> wrong ?
>
> I appreciate any help
>
> Thanks

0
Al
12/3/2009 1:52:41 PM
Carla,

The best way to do this is to put your if statement in the query that is
running your report (if you are running off a table, use a query instead
because of the formulas), then you can sum that field in your footer.

Otherwise, you will have to put a text box in your footer with sum in front
of your if statement for the total points.

Jackie

"Carla" wrote:

> I have a field called ponts assigned in a report. It uses an if statement to
> assign points based on which class my students are attending.
>
> I want to sum the total points accrued for each student. In the detail section
> I made sure I named the if statement field pointsassigned and then I entered
> a text box with =sum([pointsassigned])
> when I run the report, It doesn't recognize pointsassigned. I checked
> spelling etc.
>
> I even tried =abs(sum([pointsassigned]))
>
> it doesn't recognize the name I assigned. Any thoughts on what I am doing
> wrong ?
>
> I appreciate any help
>
> Thanks
Is the field named POINTS?  And the CONTROL in the report named PointsAssigned?

Then set the control PointsAssigned source to
    = Sum([Points])

You must use fields when you Sum, Count, or Avg.  You cannot use controls.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Carla wrote:
> I have a field called ponts assigned in a report. It uses an if statement to
> assign points based on which class my students are attending.
>
> I want to sum the total points accrued for each student. In the detail section
> I made sure I named the if statement field pointsassigned and then I entered
> a text box with =sum([pointsassigned])
> when I run the report, It doesn't recognize pointsassigned. I checked
> spelling etc.
>
> I even tried =abs(sum([pointsassigned]))
>
> it doesn't recognize the name I assigned. Any thoughts on what I am doing
> wrong ?
>
> I appreciate any help
>
> Thanks
0
John

Reports using memo data field
In past versions of Money, I was able to specify data in the memo field to create reports. I can't figure out how to do that in Money 2002. Is is possible? Never mind -- finally figured it out. (Use Tools, Find to search for keyword in memo field, then click on the Create Report button.) ...

Updating multiple fields in one table via Update query
Hi, Have a table designed as follows equip1 text equip2 text equip3 text equip4 text equip5 text equip6 text equip7 text equip8 text equip9 text equip10 text What I need to do is to check each field and if the field is = "Tennessee" then update it to read "TN" Is there a way to do this in one update query vs having to write 10 different update queries? Thanks Jeffro wrote: > Hi, > Have a table designed as follows > > equip1 text > equip2 text >...

Need help with Parameterbinding issue
Hi, I am (desperately) trying to bind the Credential-Paramater of Invoke-Command to a CSV-File and its Credential-Column like so: Credential ====== Administrator and Import-CSV Creds.csv | Invoke-Command -Scriptblock { Get-Service -Name * } -Computername Server2010 The Credential-Parameter should receive its value from the pipeline object and its credential property since the parameter supports ByPropertyName binding. But it didn't worked out - the credential object gets bound to the InputObject-Parameter instead (I did a TraceCommand). A import-csv cre...

How to set default fields/columns in folder?
In Outlook 2000 running against Exchange 2000, what governs the creation of the default fields/columns that are displayed when I create a new folder? I have a user who claims that when he used to create new mail folders (below the Inbox folder, in his case) the "From" field was included by default, but any that he has created in the past few weeks have not included that (I verified this myself). I have determined that the default fields/columns are NOT inherited from the parent folder. How can I get this user's (or all users') defaults to include the "From" field...

Access 2007 fields don't grow together
I have a report in Access 2007 that uses fields in a continuous form, one row and 6 fields accross. Because the length of data is the fields is inconsistant, I turned on the "Can Grow" options for all fields in form. The problem is, if one field grows, the others do not and the "Table Effect" is lost because the height of the fields is now different. Is there a way to make the borders of all of fields grow if any one of them does? "NapoliNick" <NapoliNick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > I have a report in Access 2007 that uses fields in a &...

HELP!- Outlook 2002 and Windows Installer
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C48A75.535D59D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Everytime I open Outlook 2002 - the "Windows Installer" dialog box = appears. On the first instance of opening Outlook 2002 after a reboot or = cold start - the "Windows Installer" actually goes through what appears = to be the installation of a ?????. Repeated openings of Outlook 2002 = reveals the dialog box for about two seconds then it closes. This just = started. O/S: Win XP- ...

Please Help !
Hi There, I'm running exchange 2003 for 50 user office, The default smtp virtual server terminates unexpectedly , I'll manually start it up then 2 seconds later it shuts down. Event viewer lists event ID 7034 with a description default smtp virtual server terminates unexpectedly 73 times. Any help would be appreciated. Ray what is the full text of the error message? "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:000701c495be$0a77e150$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi There, > > I'm running exchange 2003 for 50 user office, The default &...

Comparing 2 sets of data ...help!
Hi I am very new to excel so if someone could explain how to get aroun this problem simply I'd be eternaly grateful. I know there are mamny threads on this sort of thing. I have done search but there doesn't seem to be anything specific to this problem. Here goes: List 1: I have a list of names in a database (about 10,000) List 2: I have a new list of names that I need to add to the database. The thing is I need to filter the names to remove duplicates, but wha I really need to do is know which of the names in list 2 are "ne names", i.e. not in list 1. I hope I'm ...

Need help with VBA
I have to admit that I am totally out of my depth with this one. I'm working with Excel 2007. I have worksheet (Master Sheet) that contains a list of data; depending on the input the number of rows can be 15 or 500. There are a total of 19 columns, but columns A and B are key. Column A contains dates and Column B is text. What I need is to automate the following: From the "Master Sheet", look at Columns A and B. For every unique combination, copy those rows into a new worksheet that is named "Column A, Column B". If that new combination worksheet alread...

Grouping/Deleting Dates/Times (HELP ANYONE!)
Hi, I originally posted this a couple of weeks ago but no one has been able to help out on it. I am posting one more time to see if I can get an Access guru to help out. It is an Access database that I am using. Here is the table structure with some data: (the data is in the same order as the field names & data types) Field Name Data Type SectionTeacherDaysId AutoNumber SectionTeacherId Number DayofWeek Number StartTime Date/Time EndTime Date/Time 6 3306 Wednesday 3:30 PM...

HELP !! Need to return my Entourage Inbox to Yahoo Mail inbox
I meant to leave the 2000 messages on the server while having a copy on my Entourage Inbox on my iMac, and synchronize them going forward. I just realized that the default setting in Entourage is Not To Leave A Copy on the server. I have clicked this Option now ... to leave a Copy on the server. But this was after the 2000 messages have been downloaded to my Entourage Inbox on my iMac. HELP --- HOW DO I GET THESE MESSAGES BACK ON THE SERVER, IE, YAHOO EMAIL INBOX ?? On 3/26/10 9:07 PM, JEFF wrote: > I meant to leave the 2000 messages on the server while having a cop...

Compact & Repair, It Works and then It Doesn't... Help?!?
I have run into a problem with the "compact and repair" feature on my Access 2003. Recently I had my PC upgraded and had my IT PC Technician reload Office Professional and all upgrades, so it is current in that department. My PC is part of a distributed network and I access and administer databases across that same distributed network. The problem is that when I try to compact and repair (C&R) my databases I have some mixed results. 1) On my local drives, it works fine. 2) On the network drives/shares I have a problem that the compact and repair works on some dri...

Server side rule problem when sending with the From field completed
Hi, I need to be able to redirect mail sent to a mailbox or group to a second mailbox and have an auto reply sent from the original mailbox. I could create a rule on the first mailbox to redirect the email, auto reply to the original sender and delete the message. However it cannot permanently delete mail so eventually the mailbox will fill up with email. So ideally I need to redirect to the second mailbox but have that mailbox send the reply as the first. Whenever I try to create the rule in Outlook I receive the following message.... One or more of the rules could not be uploaded to the...

Standard field "Heights" ?? (Forms to big for screens)
Having trouble making our Forms fit on screens for users who run low res (600x800 or whatever) Can any of you suggest any tips? (Other than eliminating some of the data fields :) Looks like default heights for... Field = 0.2083" Field Title = .1667" I've reduced Field Height to .166 and changed "Special Effects" to 'Flat" (default is "Sunken) I've used Format | Align to snug all the fields & titles up against each other. I'm using Command Buttons on some forms to "popup" additional data... Thanks for any help. Mel Mel wrote: ...

Template "moves" when I add text
I created and saved a template in word. It has graphics elements on top, side and bottom. When I add text, the graphics slip to next page. It doesn't seem to work the same way a template does in PowerPoint. I even found how to anchor the graphic, but it didn't' anchor, i guess. Nevermind. I just moved EVERYTHING into header and footer and it seemed to work. "amelia" wrote: > I created and saved a template in word. It has graphics elements on top, > side and bottom. When I add text, the graphics slip to next page. It > doesn't seem ...

Info needed...please help!
I am trying to figure out the best way to do things in excel 2003. I am working in a timesheet that is already designed. I would like to have the staff member be able to go into a cell and type the first couple of characters that would pull up the client name. I have tried a drop-down list but the list is over 1800 clients and I can't get is the automatically fill in names. I have tried a combobox, but I have trouble getting it to stay the size of the cell even though it looks correct on my screen when I go to print it the combo box is shorter than the cell. Is there a way to fix th...

sum up 2 different columns
=D5-SUM(D6:D92,H6:H92) i thought worked but i guess it doesn't cant anyone help me Don't know what version of Excel you are using. I have 2003, put your formula in pretty much exactly and it worked just fine. Here is mine. =A14-SUM(A2:A11,B2:B11) "Michele" wrote: > =D5-SUM(D6:D92,H6:H92) i thought worked but i guess it doesn't cant anyone > help me i'm running 2002 i think. but for some reason my formula won't work anymore. got any suggestions "Jarrod" wrote: > Don't know what version of Excel you are using. I have 2003, put your...

Pivot table variance (help!)
If this is my data list: Field names: PL Type, PL Version, Product, Amount Records: 1. Forecast, version A, productX, $100 2. Budget, version B, productX, $90 How do I get the pivot table to show a variance between these two records? I tried doing a "calculated item" using the PL Type fields (Forecast minus Budget), but this only results in two new columns showing the same amounts for each PL Type. How do I have a column added to show the $10 variance---the problem is when there there are two fields being used for the variance (PL Type and PL Version). Any suggestions? ...

Help me?
On a pc with Excel 2003 and with Excel view 2003 have to be able to inhibit the command "you Open file for changes" present in Excel view. I now understand the vs perplexity in how much it would be enough to activate a whole series of protections and authorizations on file and briefcases but a present application on the pc it produces in file in excel that must not be modify. Now if it were present Excel I complete the command it would be already inhibited. Then I imagine that there am a key that it trains or it disables this button. Where do I find it? ...

value of a field with an input mask?
If I have a combobox for a phone number, and i limit the input of the field using the input mask (000)000-000;;_ What is the value of the field of the combo box when you type in the number 1234567890? Would it be A. 1234567890 or B. (123)456-7890 My understanding is that it would be A. However, the code I have in the After Update event seems to be seeing it with the formatting attached to it. The code in AfterUpate looks to see if that phone number exists. If it exists, it goes to that record. If it does not exist, it goes to the NotInList event, which asks you if you want to creat...

Unable to access method within iFrame, please help
Hi all, I've created a custom ASP page that pulls information from the SQL server and displays it in an iframe. The data is editable, and needs to be updated when the CRM form is saved. The page within the iframe has a javascript method called submit() that will update the information on the db. I want to call this method from the onSave event, but I can't figure it out. How do I get access to the methods that are part of the page within the iframe? A little background: CRM 3.0 Windows Server 2003 The page is asp .net created in visual studio 2005 Any help would be greatly appre...

Sum of Lowest Cell Numbers
I have another question, I was wondering how do I get excel to total the number of cells in a group that have the lowest number. My example is is I have a group of cells that have 5,6,4,7,2,2,5,6 and and I need to have one cell count the how many of the lowest numbers are there, for my example there would be two. If anyone could help, thanks you. Anthony You're telling us how many "lowest" numbers you have, but you're not telling us what determines that. To give you a formula, we need to know (in english) how you come about determining that. Are you looking for th...

Create a new field with order number and their total orders...
How can I create a field that shows the values as Order 1\3, Order 2\3 etc in my form\table. My table has.. ID Order 234 Order 1 234 Order 2 234 Order 3 345 Order 1 345 Order 2 Thank you very much -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Forms display data, tables store it. Are you trying to do this on the form? You certainly shouldn't be trying to do this in the table, as that "value" could change as there are more/fewer orders... More info, please... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may ...

work flow wait condition is not working for datetime field added to entity in MS CRM
Microsoft CRM : Does the work flow wait condition work for a customised(added) datetime field? This is not working for datetime field added to case entity? any help will be appreciated ...

Need help getting contacts into word for mail merge
I've exported my outlook contacts to a file on my desktop to use for mail merge, and when I try to set up a new profile in Word (during the mail merge wizard), I keep getting this message: "Unable to obtain list of tables from the data source." How do I set my Outlook Contacts as the source for mail merge to pull files from. I'm so frustrated with this program! BTW, is outlook Contacts stored as "outlook.pst" ? That's the file I exported to my desktop. I don't know if this makes a difference, but my MS Office 2002 is actually on my D drive, not my C d...