HELP: Linking XLS Sheets to Access (Something strange)

Hello Folks

Why it is when you link an Excel Sheet as an attached table that you can not 
change the data from inside Access which modifies the Excel Sheet?  What was 
real strange is I could do this but now I can not?  Any Ideas why this seems 
to be set in read only mode?

The link to the excel sheet is live because I can change the data in Excel 
and it shows in access but I can not change the data in access to show back 
in excel.

Thank you in advance,
Michael Kintner 


0
Michael
7/19/2007 3:16:58 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

4 Replies
372 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

Microsoft lost a lawsuit a couple of years ago, and was forced to remove the 
ability to update a linked Excel worksheet from Access.

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:139v03brhu3d0e6@corp.supernews.com...
> Hello Folks
>
> Why it is when you link an Excel Sheet as an attached table that you can 
> not change the data from inside Access which modifies the Excel Sheet? 
> What was real strange is I could do this but now I can not?  Any Ideas why 
> this seems to be set in read only mode?
>
> The link to the excel sheet is live because I can change the data in Excel 
> and it shows in access but I can not change the data in access to show 
> back in excel.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Michael Kintner
> 


0
Douglas
7/19/2007 3:23:21 PM
What was strange Doug was last week I could update but now I can not and we 
have not done any updates.  Can you show me this article about Microsoft.

Mike


"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
news:eE8E$ihyHHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft lost a lawsuit a couple of years ago, and was forced to remove 
> the ability to update a linked Excel worksheet from Access.
>
> -- 
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
>
> "Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:139v03brhu3d0e6@corp.supernews.com...
>> Hello Folks
>>
>> Why it is when you link an Excel Sheet as an attached table that you can 
>> not change the data from inside Access which modifies the Excel Sheet? 
>> What was real strange is I could do this but now I can not?  Any Ideas 
>> why this seems to be set in read only mode?
>>
>> The link to the excel sheet is live because I can change the data in 
>> Excel and it shows in access but I can not change the data in access to 
>> show back in excel.
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Michael Kintner
>>
>
> 


0
Michael
7/19/2007 4:33:44 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/07/microsoft_office_access_infringement/

See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904953

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:139v4jcl3nimr24@corp.supernews.com...
> What was strange Doug was last week I could update but now I can not and 
> we have not done any updates.  Can you show me this article about 
> Microsoft.
>
> Mike
>
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
> news:eE8E$ihyHHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Microsoft lost a lawsuit a couple of years ago, and was forced to remove 
>> the ability to update a linked Excel worksheet from Access.
>>
>> -- 
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>
>>
>> "Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
>> news:139v03brhu3d0e6@corp.supernews.com...
>>> Hello Folks
>>>
>>> Why it is when you link an Excel Sheet as an attached table that you can 
>>> not change the data from inside Access which modifies the Excel Sheet? 
>>> What was real strange is I could do this but now I can not?  Any Ideas 
>>> why this seems to be set in read only mode?
>>>
>>> The link to the excel sheet is live because I can change the data in 
>>> Excel and it shows in access but I can not change the data in access to 
>>> show back in excel.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Michael Kintner
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Douglas
7/19/2007 6:19:26 PM
"Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote

 > What was strange Doug was last week I could
 > update but now I can not and we have not done
 > any updates.

In fact, it was an _update_ that included the implementation that eliminated 
"live update" of linked Excel. You may get Microsoft-released updates 
without knowing about it, depending on the way your operating system is 
configured.

Mine is set up so that it downloads updates to Windows and Office whenever I 
log on to the computer... it can slow down the load process, but it is nice 
to not have to remember to go check the download site at Microsoft to 
discover whether there's something new.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Access MVP 


0
Larry
7/21/2007 5:19:39 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Excel 97 VBA Help File
In the MS Excel Visual Basic Reference help file contents page, I click on Functions and it only offers me functions beginning with the letter S. So, I have a list of Solver and SQL functions. But what about all the other functions in VBA, for example for doing arithmetic and manipulating dates and strings? Why don't they show up? Are they left out because those functions are all part of Visual Basic generally, and the Excel VBA help file is specific to the _extra_ functions in Excel VBA? It's the only explanation I can think of. Am I right, or have I got a corrupted help file (vbaxl...

Business Portal Error-SQL server does not exist or access denied
Hi, We are running business portal 4.0 for one of our customer. It was running correctly, however, they have changed the SQL server port (previously it was set as default 1433). After that the business portal becomes very slow and while creating a new request (purchase requisition) if we open the item pop up; it is showing exception "SQL Server does not exist or access denied...." Can any body tell me how can I provide the new port number to business portal connection to the database. Thanks and Regards, Waliullah, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I have a...

What's happened to the findfirst function in Access 2010?
I have a working Access 2007 Application which is now failing miserably in 2010. It hinges on location the first available working document in a table runing the following VBA code: With Me.Recordset .FindFirst "([fld1] + [fld2]) = 0" If .NoMatch Then .FindLast "([fdl1] + [fld2]) <> 0" Exit Sub End If .... FURTHER PROCESSING ... What must I do to correct this? Go through a record by record search? End With In 2007, this works correctly, stopping at the appropriate record (approc. rec 1385 in the recordset...

Help, I cannot Save!
I created a document and locked the worksheet to protect the formulars before creating a template for the document. But now when I open th document and insert a new sheet using the template I created, th document will refuse to save. Once I click on save, office assistant will say "doc not saved". Wha could I have done wrong? PLease help. computerfinema -- computerfinema ----------------------------------------------------------------------- computerfineman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3716 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.c...

open two different Access reports
Hi, I was wondering if i can get some help here. I have two different reports that i want to open when a user clicks a button to view the reports for printing. Is there any way of popping them up at the same time in VBA? Thank you in advance Associates wrote: >Hi, > >I was wondering if i can get some help here. I have two different reports >that i want to open when a user clicks a button to view the reports for >printing. Is there any way of popping them up at the same time in VBA? > >Thank you in advance Yes. Call the DoCmd.OpenReport command twic...

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc
Hello, First let me explain the scenario where i m using this requirement. We are Using CustomAppWizard and designing a wizard .One of the wizard pages will Insert Composite controls as many as the user wants . 1.So i should be able to dynamically insert ATL controls without using Insert Control Dailog. 2. can any one tell me how to dynamically create Template file in TEMPLATE folder of resource view . 3. I want to include many files created by templet files and add them to build by editing newproj.inf Is it possible to do this. 4.I would even like to know if i have 2 ifles in my C drive h...

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt
Dear group, when I create a chart with scatters, which carry graphics like Excel-Block-Arrows and link this to Powerpoint, the graphics are shown there in a very low quality with large pixels. Any ideas how to improve this? Thanks in advance, Holger. ...

Access 2007 and Vista code problem
I am developing a database on a XP SP2 machine. On a form I have created some buttons with event procedures that run 2 queries and open a form. I sent the db to someone running Access 2007 on a Vista machine and nothing happens when she clicks the buttons and there are no messages. I know nothing about Vista so thanks in advance for any help. Tim Might be a reference problem, have them open the open a code window and click tools references. See what says missing and tell them what should be there, Add it and it should work. Duff "Tim Reid" <TimReid@discussions.micr...

Help Required
Hi, Whenever I open Outlook 2003, I am getting a dialog box which displays the following message: Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience When I click Debug it displays a message box with the following error message "The instruction at "0x3007e993" referenced memory at "0x0000000:. The memory could not be read" When I click No it Visual Studio JIT debugger pops up. I uninstalled and installed several times but still the problem persists. Is there any regsitry entry that I've to modify/delete? ...

HELP Recovering addresses and email from Outlook 2003
I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I out of luck?? Thanks for the help texraid wrote: > I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from > disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old > data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. > > Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I > out of lu...

Need Help with Deleting Empty Paragraphs in Word 2003
I have written the code below to delete all empty paragraphs at the end of a document and then place the cursor at the end of the last paragraph. It works fine as a stand alone sub in a new doc, but fails inside the real document that contains other code that manipulates several documents. The failure is that it will delete the last empty para, but then gets stuck looping inside the While...Wend because subsequent .Delete are not happening. So, the question is why would this work in one document, but then fail in another? n = 0 ...

Public Folder link to Excel File
Hi - I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomodate him. He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just launch Excel and display the file. Anybody have any ideas...

Can E-mail recipient policy be linked to the OU membership?
Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows 2000 mixed mode): I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the different OU's that are created on the system. Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to create groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to? Martin Moustgaard Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific OU. It is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies. 249299.KB.EN-US HO...

Using Access 2003 on client to see Sharepoint 2007
Testing a Sharepoint environment and I can easily manipulate and run the database from Access 2007, but when I try to use Access 2003 it wants me to save the database to a location. The Access 2003 has the compatiblity pack, but it seems to not work when I download it. So the question is using Sharepoint 2007 and posting the Access 2007 format to it, can a user go to the sharepoint site and use a 2003 Access database that has the compatibility pack and open without having to download it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Send check for $500.00 to: David A Jenn...

Help me identify my missing permission (Cannot open public folder) -2147217843 (Maybe Authentication Fails?)
The following snippet of code throws an error number -2147217843. When I googled this error code, I see many references to authentication failed. I am assuming my problem is some kind of permission related problem on the "MyNewFolder" public folder. -- start code --- Dim objFolder As New CDO.Folder Dim f As ADODB.Field 'sURL is like: file://./backofficestorage/mydomain.com/Public Folders/MyNewFolder/ objFolder.DataSource.Open sURL, , adModeReadWrite, adFailIfNotExists --- end code -- I have code that runs before this that actually creates the "MyNewFolder" publ...

Referencing cells across sheets
Hi, I've created a workbook with three sheets. The first three columns of sheet 2 and sheet 3 are referenced to the first three columns of sheet 1. What I'd like to do, is set the workbook up so that if I insert a row before, between or after referenced rows in sheet one, a row will also be inserted, and referenced, in the corresponding place on sheets 2 and 3. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, if no data is entered into a cell on sheet one, the value shown in the corresponding cells of sheets '2' and '3' is '0'. I need those cells to remain bla...

Copying Data in a cell in one sheet to a cell in another sheet
I've run into a problem trying to copy data from a cell in one sheet to another. I have a spreadsheet called "rating" which contains a number of formula that calculates a final number. I also have a spreadsheet called "Final" that copies over the information from "Rating". In "Final", I'm trying to copy a number from "Rating" into a particular cell. I put in =Rating! G89, but it won't work. When I press enter, a window pops up "Update value:Rating". I press enter again and in the cell where I want the number ...

how to make macro work even a sheet is hidden.
hello there I have macro assigned to a button in Sheet 1 which goes to sheet 2. Press a button to Refresh and then PRINT preview It does work in normal state. I do not want the user to see the Sheet 2. I hid sheets from Format-sheet-hide. but the macro is not working when sheet 2 is hidden. how to overcome this error "can't execute code in break mode" the macro code is Sub Print_Preview() Sheets("PaySlips2009-10").Select Application.Run "'Latest 2009Payslip.xls'!Sheet2.HURows" ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview ...

Need HELP! for Linking data
Could someone please direct me to where I can learn how to link date in a work book. i.e., I have individual pages for each subject but I need the data that is entered in these individual pages to transfer to the Master page without having to manually in put it.........TNX Bubey, There are not too many bits about linking worksheets or workbooks that I can find. But have a look at the links below, in case they give you the information you need. I think it is frustratingly one of those things which is very easy when you know how, or if you can get someone to actually show you, but if you hav...

compact database in VBA access 2007
Hello, I have recently upgrade to office 2007 from office 2003. To compact a database from within the database itself, I used the follwing code. Unfortunately it no longer works in access 2007. Is there some similar code that will work? Public Function FncCompactTheCurrentDB() CommandBars("Menu Bar"). _ Controls("Tools"). _ Controls("Database utilities"). _ Controls("Compact and repair database..."). _ accDoDefaultAction End Function Thank You, SL On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:34:01 -0800, SL <SL@discussions.microsoft....

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

LDAP Write access?
My ldap server allows Write access to entries - and a few clients now support this. Any plugins available for Outlook to allow this too? Thanks None that I'm aware of. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook...

Help with Registration
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I've tried to register my copy of Office for Mac through the Mactopia page. I log in successfully, but then it just keeps on loading and doesn't refresh or change. Any advice? On 6/16/09 6:35 PM, in article 59b76b64.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "theconfuzed1@officeformac.com" <theconfuzed1@officeformac.com> wrote: > I've tried to register my copy of Office for Mac through the Mactopia page. I > log in successfully, but then it just keeps on loading and doesn't refresh or > ...

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.
I created a SQL Server 2005 CE DB ( .sdf, version 3.0) with vs2005. And I created a table which has 2 fields: fld1 - int, fld2 - numeric(38,25). But I encounted an error messagebox when I tried to insert a record (4005,9000000). The msgbox said Conversion overflows. The setting for my numeric fld2 is (precision=38,scale=25). So why occur error when to insert 9000000? Thanks in advance. ...

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)
Hello. I am so lost. I have a few e-mail accounts set up on my computer which retrieves my mail from a couple of different providers and deposits the mail into my Outlook Inbox. Up until yesterday, my mail always has worked fine. For some strange reason, my Outlook is now (Again) retrieving my messages from all of my accounts I had set up, which are all duplicates of my messages. There is now nearly 4,000 duplicate messages in my folders. I can't seem to stop the download of these already retrieved messages. To top things off, a couple of my email account login windows keep p...