Field Populates in Form, Not in Table (Was "Leading Zeros Lost in Concatenation")

I think I'm closer. I confess to being a newbie when it comes to
using
functions in Access, but I finally got my form to look as desired by
putting the following in my
Control Source for the field: =Format([Figure Identifier],"0000000" &
[Description] & ".eps"). So far, so good.

http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/5304419/controlsource.jpg.html

The table tied to the form was imported in Access from Excel, and the
form was then built on the table.  Within the table, however, this
field is not populating when adding new records. Only the initial
row,
which was populated at the time of the import, still shows visible
data.

http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/8892670/TableFormView.jpg.html

FWIW, the two fields in the table do not have identical formatting in
Access -- the formatting is the way Access interpreted it upon
import.

http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/4717182/Design_View_Figure_Identifier_Field.jpg.html
http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/4842418/DesignView_Figure_Identifier_Description.jpg.html

I would like the Figure Identifier Description field to populate in
the table, too, though this is perhaps not absolutely essential. What
is your advice for next steps?

0
JimP
5/30/2007 4:39:24 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On May 30, 1:40 pm, Jerry Whittle
<JerryWhit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The formatting, especially with the two different fields, will not allow you
> to add data into the table from that text box. You could display it that way;
> however, you need to enter data in both the data for the Figure Identifier
> and Description fields seperately.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "JimP" wrote:
> > I think I'm closer. I confess to being a newbie when it comes to
> > using
> > functions in Access, but I finally got my form to look as desired by
> > putting the following in my
> > Control Source for the field: =Format([Figure Identifier],"0000000" &
> > [Description] & ".eps"). So far, so good.
>
> >http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/5304419/controlsource.jpg.html
>
> > The table tied to the form was imported in Access from Excel, and the
> > form was then built on the table.  Within the table, however, this
> > field is not populating when adding new records. Only the initial
> > row,
> > which was populated at the time of the import, still shows visible
> > data.
>
> >http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/8892670/TableFormView.jpg.html
>
> > FWIW, the two fields in the table do not have identical formatting in
> > Access -- the formatting is the way Access interpreted it upon
> > import.
>
> >http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/4717182/Design_View_Figure_Identifier_F...
> >http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/4842418/DesignView_Figure_Identifier_De...
>
> > I would like the Figure Identifier Description field to populate in
> > the table, too, though this is perhaps not absolutely essential. What
> > is your advice for next steps?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for this, Jerry. I appeciate the advice.

0
JimP

Leading Zeros Lost in Concatenation
I'm working on creating a database that pulls data from three fields and concatenates the results into a fourth. http://s22.quicksharing.com/v/5121074/ScreenShot002.png.html I'm almost there, I suspect, but the first field from which I pull has a leading zero that's not carrying over into the concatenated field. http://s15.quicksharing.com/v/8550436/ScreenShot001.png.html. What would you advise to fix this? Thanks, Jim I'm guessing that the Figure Identifier field is a numeric field, and it has some custom formatting to give it the leading zeros. If that is the case, ...