error when opening .accdb file

I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution...
I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that
the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens
successfully.

-- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the
file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open
at all)
-- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the
Application Options for the 'Current Database'
-- The database contains macros, VBA modules etc. that all work normally
once I acknowledge the error and accept macros
-- The file was originally created in Access 2003 on XP. Never saw the error
until modifications were made to the 2003 version in Access 2007.  I have
since converted the file to 2007 hoping to lose the error in the process, but
with no luck.

Hope this all makes since. I am currently running Windows Vista and using
Access 2007.

--
Joe
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Have you made a backup copy and run Compact & Repair?

(more difficult ... have you made a backup copy and launched it using the
/Decompile flag?)

(about as difficult ... have you created a new empty db and imported all the
pieces?)

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"joewb7" <joewb7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the
>resolution...
> I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that
> the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens
> successfully.
>
> -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the
> file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not
> open
> at all)
> -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in
> the
> Application Options for the 'Current Database'
> -- The database contains macros, VBA modules etc. that all work normally
> once I acknowledge the error and accept macros
> -- The file was originally created in Access 2003 on XP. Never saw the
> error
> until modifications were made to the 2003 version in Access 2007.  I have
> since converted the file to 2007 hoping to lose the error in the process,
> but
> with no luck.
>
> Hope this all makes since. I am currently running Windows Vista and using
> Access 2007.
>
> --
> Joe

0
Jeff
4/19/2010 11:15:22 PM
Thanks for the response Jeff,

I've run compact & repair without any luck.
I'm not familiar with using the \Decompile flag but I have created a new
database and slowly imported pieces of the database until I started seeing
the same behavior.

I started with the 'welcome' form that is set to come up when the database
opens & everything worked fine. I then added my login form, macros, modules,
and tables (both linked and embedded) without anything happening. it wasn't
until I started loading more of the remaining forms that I seemed to reach a
'breaking point' (when 8 of the forms were loaded). Playing with it I haven't
been able to nail down a single form that appears to be causing the problem
(I've got 24 forms in the complete database).  I also tried importing the
entire database into a new file in one shot and the problem keeps coming
back.

Somewhere along the line I do have to include an additional library file to
get all the modules working again (Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library) but
I haven't seen any evidence that turning this on caused any issues either.

When I pieced the database together into a new one, the file size was just
3.5 MB when the behavior started again. the full database import turns out to
be ~ 6MB so I don't believe file size should be an issue.

Other things to note: When a session of Access is already open and I double
click to open the database in a second session of Access, it never gives me
the error. It also never happens if I use the shift key (bypass) as I open
the database or if I set options to have no form to display on opening. Also
never get the error the first time I open after a compact & repair (but then
reappears on the second attempt).

Any other ideas?  How do I use the \Decompile flag?

--
Joe

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Have you made a backup copy and run Compact & Repair?
>
> (more difficult ... have you made a backup copy and launched it using the
> /Decompile flag?)
>
> (about as difficult ... have you created a new empty db and imported all the
> pieces?)
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>

> "joewb7" <joewb7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the
> >resolution...
> > I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that
> > the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens
> > successfully.
> >
> > -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the
> > file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not
> > open
> > at all)
> > -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in
> > the
> > Application Options for the 'Current Database'
> > -- The database contains macros, VBA modules etc. that all work normally
> > once I acknowledge the error and accept macros
> > -- The file was originally created in Access 2003 on XP. Never saw the
> > error
> > until modifications were made to the 2003 version in Access 2007.  I have
> > since converted the file to 2007 hoping to lose the error in the process,
> > but
> > with no luck.
> >
> > Hope this all makes since. I am currently running Windows Vista and using
> > Access 2007.
> >
> > --
> > Joe
>

> .

Try searching on-line for MS Access and \Decompile for more detailed
explanations.

What you're describing sounds like there's some form of subtle corruption.

If Compact & Repair, plus import to new db isn't catching it, the \Decompile
is pretty much the last step I know of before starting from scratch (i.e.,
importing what DOES work, then rebuilding whatever object(s) 'munge' the
db).

Good luck!

> [...]
>> > open
>> > at all)
>> > -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set
>> > in
>> > the
>> > Application Options for the 'Current Database'
>> > -- The database contains macros, VBA modules etc. that all work
>> > normally
>> > once I acknowledge the error and accept macros
>> > -- The file was originally created in Access 2003 on XP. Never saw the
>> > error
>> > until modifications were made to the 2003 version in Access 2007.  I
>> > have
>> > since converted the file to 2007 hoping to lose the error in the
>> > process,
>> > but
>> > with no luck.
>> >
>> > Hope this all makes since. I am currently running Windows Vista and

0
Jeff
4/21/2010 6:01:16 PM
Thanks Jeff, unfortunately the \decompile flag didn't do anything for me.
guess I'm going to have to start from scratch.

--
Joe

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you made a backup copy and run Compact & Repair?
> >>
> >> (more difficult ... have you made a backup copy and launched it using the
> >> /Decompile flag?)
> >>
> >> (about as difficult ... have you created a new empty db and imported all
> >> the
> >> pieces?)
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Access MVP
> >>
> >> --
> >> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> >> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> >> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> >>
> >> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> >> guarantee as to suitability.
> >>
> >> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer

Keep checking back here -- perhaps one of the other newsgroup readers has
run across this and has a less drastic solution...

> [...]
>> > just
>> > 3.5 MB when the behavior started again. the full database import turns
>> > out
>> > be ~ 6MB so I don't believe file size should be an issue.
>> >
>> > Other things to note: When a session of Access is already open and I
>> > double
>> > click to open the database in a second session of Access, it never
>> > gives
>> > me
>> > the error. It also never happens if I use the shift key (bypass) as I
>> > open
>> > the database or if I set options to have no form to display on opening.
>> > Also
>> > never get the error the first time I open after a compact & repair (but
>> > then
>> > reappears on the second attempt).
>> >
>> > Any other ideas?  How do I use the \Decompile flag?

0
Jeff