Error Message on my Report - Not enough memory to display report.

I have put hours and hours into my application, and all seemed to being going
well.  Suddenly, one of my reports won't run any more and instead gives me
the error message " There isn't enough free memory to update the display.
Close any unneeded programs and try again".  I get this message even if
Access is the only program running and the report is the only thing open.
The underlying query is working fine.  I have tried removing individual
controls and even eliminated all controls from the report but the error
message continued.

I have tried the compact and repair utility but it didn't help.  What can I
do?

HOw can I protect myself from this kind of thing happening in the future?
This report is used to generate work tickets for our factory and now it is
not functioning.  I have a backup version, but is not as complete as the one
that is giving me the error message.

Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi LeLe,

It sounds like your report might be corrupt. Try creating a new Access
database and importing all objects into it. I give explicit instructions on
the lower half of page 3 of a Word document that I call Access Links. You are
welcome to download a zipped copy, here:

    http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

If this does not work, then please post back. I've got some other
suggestions, using the undocumented SaveAsText / LoadFromText commands, that
you can try as well.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"LeLe" wrote:

> I have put hours and hours into my application, and all seemed to being going
> well.  Suddenly, one of my reports won't run any more and instead gives me
> the error message " There isn't enough free memory to update the display.
> Close any unneeded programs and try again".  I get this message even if
> Access is the only program running and the report is the only thing open.
> The underlying query is working fine.  I have tried removing individual
> controls and even eliminated all controls from the report but the error
> message continued.
>
> I have tried the compact and repair utility but it didn't help.  What can I
> do?
>
> HOw can I protect myself from this kind of thing happening in the future?
> This report is used to generate work tickets for our factory and now it is
> not functioning.  I have a backup version, but is not as complete as the one
> that is giving me the error message.
>
> Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Hello Tom
After reading your response here's what I have done so far:

Created a new DB, and turned off the name auto correct option.
Imported my tables - no problem
IMported my queries - no problem
Imported my forms - 3 would not import - error "name conflict with exsisting
module project or object library
Imported my reports - all came over, including the problem one that will not
display - with error message, not enough memory to display.
Ran repair and compact.
Ran compile.

Thanks so much for you offer of on going help.  As you can see, I still need
it!!

"LeLe" wrote:

> I have put hours and hours into my application, and all seemed to being going
> well.  Suddenly, one of my reports won't run any more and instead gives me
> the error message " There isn't enough free memory to update the display.
> Close any unneeded programs and try again".  I get this message even if
> Access is the only program running and the report is the only thing open.
> The underlying query is working fine.  I have tried removing individual
> controls and even eliminated all controls from the report but the error
> message continued.
>
> I have tried the compact and repair utility but it didn't help.  What can I
> do?
>
> HOw can I protect myself from this kind of thing happening in the future?
> This report is used to generate work tickets for our factory and now it is
> not functioning.  I have a backup version, but is not as complete as the one
> that is giving me the error message.
>
> Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hi LeLe,

> Imported my forms - 3 would not import - error "name conflict with existing
> module project or object library

That's a strange error. Are you using any reserved words or special
characters in the object (an object is a table, query, form, report, macro or
module) names of your database? Access MVP Allen Browne offers a nice utility
that you can use to scan your tables for the use of reserved words in table
and field names, but it currently does not include other object types in it's
scan. He also has an extensive list published here:

    Problem names and reserved words in Access
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Are the names of the three forms that you cannot import included in Allen's
list?

> Imported my reports - all came over, including the problem one that will not
> display - with error message, not enough memory to display.

Can you now open this report without an error?

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP

"LeLe" wrote:

> Hello Tom
> After reading your response here's what I have done so far:
>
> Created a new DB, and turned off the name auto correct option.
> Imported my tables - no problem
> IMported my queries - no problem
> Imported my forms - 3 would not import - error "name conflict with existing
> module project or object library
> Imported my reports - all came over, including the problem one that will not
> display - with error message, not enough memory to display.
> Ran repair and compact.
> Ran compile.
>
> Thanks so much for you offer of on going help.  As you can see, I still need
> it!!
The 3 forms were called "PatternsFabrics", "PattermsFabricAddNew",
PatternsFabricsAddNewColor" - (We are in the interior design business and
manufacture draperies).  I couldn't see any "bad words" in the forms but no
big deal, the forms were minor, and I can recreate.

At the present time, I seem to have solved my problem by creating a new
report, basing it on the same query and then copy pasting the control over
from the report that stopped working to this new one.

Unfortunately, this whole experience has left me a bit shell shocked.  In
the past we wrote up work orders by hand, and I have been the one pushing to
automate the process.  Fortunately, no one found out about this problem,
since we are still not using the automate work ticket on a regular basis yet.
 What if this happens again down the road and causes a real problem in our
factory.  What can I do to protect myself and my company?

Thanks

"Tom Wickerath" wrote:

> Hi LeLe,
>
> > Imported my forms - 3 would not import - error "name conflict with existing
> > module project or object library
>
> That's a strange error. Are you using any reserved words or special
> characters in the object (an object is a table, query, form, report, macro or
> module) names of your database? Access MVP Allen Browne offers a nice utility
> that you can use to scan your tables for the use of reserved words in table
> and field names, but it currently does not include other object types in it's
> scan. He also has an extensive list published here:
>
>     Problem names and reserved words in Access
>     http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html
>

> Are the names of the three forms that you cannot import included in Allen's
> list?
>
> > Imported my reports - all came over, including the problem one that will not
> > display - with error message, not enough memory to display.
>
> Can you now open this report without an error?
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "LeLe" wrote:
>
> > Hello Tom
> > After reading your response here's what I have done so far:
> >
> > Created a new DB, and turned off the name auto correct option.
> > Imported my tables - no problem
> > IMported my queries - no problem
> > Imported my forms - 3 would not import - error "name conflict with existing
> > module project or object library
> > Imported my reports - all came over, including the problem one that will not
> > display - with error message, not enough memory to display.
> > Ran repair and compact.
> > Ran compile.
> >
> > Thanks so much for you offer of on going help.  As you can see, I still need
> > it!!
Hi LeLe,

Sorry to read that you felt shell shocked, but glad to see that you have it
fixed now.

> The 3 forms were called "PatternsFabrics", "PattermsFabricAddNew",
> PatternsFabricsAddNewColor"

These names certainly should not have caused a problem. However, it appears
as if you may have two copies of the same form, "PatternsFabrics", one to
open to all records and one to open to a new record only. You can use the
optional DataMode argument of DoCmd.Openform to open this form to a new
record, without having to have a similar copy of the form. Something like
this:

    DoCmd.openForm "PatternsFabrics", DataMode:=acFormAdd

versus just:

    DoCmd.openForm "PatternsFabrics"

>  What if this happens again down the road and causes a real problem in our
> factory.  What can I do to protect myself and my company?

Make frequent back-ups of your database, and test them as well.

Is this database shared on a network drive? If so, one of the most important
things that you can do to help prevent JET database corruption is to split
the database into two separate databases: a back-end (BE) .mdb file and a
front-end (FE) .mdb file. If you are using the new ACE format in Access 2007,
the same concept applies, just substitute .mdb in my last sentence for
..accdb. The BE file contains the shared data only. The FE file contains all
other objects: queries, forms, reports, macros, modules, and any local
(non-shared) tables.

A copy of the FE application file should be installed on each user's local
hard drive, so that two users are never using the same copy of the FE
application file. Please see my Multiuser Applications paper, available here,
for more details:

     http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/articles/multiuser.htm

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP

"Tom Wickerath" wrote:

> Hi LeLe,
>
> Sorry to read that you felt shell shocked, but glad to see that you have it
> fixed now.
>
> > The 3 forms were called "PatternsFabrics", "PattermsFabricAddNew",
> > PatternsFabricsAddNewColor"
>
> These names certainly should not have caused a problem. However, it appears
> as if you may have two copies of the same form, "PatternsFabrics", one to
> open to all records and one to open to a new record only. You can use the
> optional DataMode argument of DoCmd.Openform to open this form to a new
> record, without having to have a similar copy of the form. Something like
> this:
>
>     DoCmd.openForm "PatternsFabrics", DataMode:=acFormAdd
>
> versus just:
>
>     DoCmd.openForm "PatternsFabrics"
>
> Thanks I know you are right, I was tring to make the form similar but just different enought that it was clear to the user they were add new data.  Sometimes, it is confusing to know where you ( as the user are)

> >  What if this happens again down the road and causes a real problem in our
> > factory.  What can I do to protect myself and my company?
>
> Make frequent back-ups of your database, and test them as well.
>
> Is this database shared on a network drive? If so, one of the most important
> things that you can do to help prevent JET database corruption is to split
> the database into two separate databases: a back-end (BE) .mdb file and a
> front-end (FE) .mdb file. If you are using the new ACE format in Access 2007,
> the same concept applies, just substitute .mdb in my last sentence for
> .accdb. The BE file contains the shared data only. The FE file contains all
> other objects: queries, forms, reports, macros, modules, and any local
> (non-shared) tables.
>
> A copy of the FE application file should be installed on each user's local
> hard drive, so that two users are never using the same copy of the FE
> application file. Please see my Multiuser Applications paper, available here,
> for more details:

Thanks, this makes sense.  I am familar with the database splitter, but I
only used it when the back end got large, or when I wanted to continue to
develope the front end.  I never considered it as protection but again this
makes sense.

Thanks again for your help.

>      http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/articles/multiuser.htm
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "LeLe" wrote:
>
> > The 3 forms were called "PatternsFabrics", "PattermsFabricAddNew",
> > PatternsFabricsAddNewColor" - (We are in the interior design business and
> > manufacture draperies).  I couldn't see any "bad words" in the forms but no
> > big deal, the forms were minor, and I can recreate.
> >
> > At the present time, I seem to have solved my problem by creating a new
> > report, basing it on the same query and then copy pasting the control over
> > from the report that stopped working to this new one.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this whole experience has left me a bit shell shocked.  In
> > the past we wrote up work orders by hand, and I have been the one pushing to
> > automate the process.  Fortunately, no one found out about this problem,
> > since we are still not using the automate work ticket on a regular basis yet.
> >  What if this happens again down the road and causes a real problem in our
> > factory.  What can I do to protect myself and my company?
> Thanks, this makes sense.  I am familar with the database splitter, but I
> only used it when the back end got large, or when I wanted to continue to
> develope the front end.  I never considered it as protection but again this
> makes sense.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

You're most welcome. Glad I could be of help. Don't forget to backup your
data using whatever schedule would not cause you too much pain if you had to
re-enter data since the last backup. Periodically check your backups as well.

Here is a fun little tune that I hope you will never have to sing to yourself!

   http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/downloads/yesterday.doc

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
I have had this error on a report I had frequently changed, added and
removed things to its design.  Someone here suggested running the /decompile
option on the datafile and it cured the problem.
http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0008.htm

Pete D.
"LeLe" <LeLe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> > big deal, the forms were minor, and I can recreate.
>> >
>> > At the present time, I seem to have solved my problem by creating a new
>> > report, basing it on the same query and then copy pasting the control
>> > over
>> > from the report that stopped working to this new one.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, this whole experience has left me a bit shell shocked.
>> > In
>> > the past we wrote up work orders by hand, and I have been the one
>> > pushing to
>> > automate the process.  Fortunately, no one found out about this
>> > problem,
>> > since we are still not using the automate work ticket on a regular
>> > basis yet.
>> >  What if this happens again down the road and causes a real problem in
>> > our
>> > factory.  What can I do to protect myself and my company?

0
Pete
3/9/2008 12:32:44 PM
Hi Pete,

Yes, the /decompile trick is the first thing I cover in the section of my
Access Links.doc Word document, which I referenced in my first reply.
Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't work. I've even experienced
situations where importing all objects into a new container and attempting to
use the undocument SaveAsText / LoadFromText did not fix the problem, but,
copying the controls from a corrupt form or report to a new form or report in
the same database did fix the problem. It's kind of a guessing game sometimes
as to which strategy will work, if any of them work.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP

"Pete D." wrote:

> I have had this error on a report I had frequently changed, added and
> removed things to its design.  Someone here suggested running the /decompile
> option on the datafile and it cured the problem.
> http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0008.htm
>
> Pete D.
Sorry,
I'm stuck with outlook express on this computer (work laptop) and didn't see
your first reply, sometime it drops parts of  the conversation.  As I
frequent this group I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned it.  Again Tom,
sorry about the foul.

"Tom Wickerath" <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
> Hi Pete,
>
> Yes, the /decompile trick is the first thing I cover in the section of my
> Access Links.doc Word document, which I referenced in my first reply.
> Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't work. I've even experienced
> situations where importing all objects into a new container and attempting
> use the undocument SaveAsText / LoadFromText did not fix the problem, but,
> copying the controls from a corrupt form or report to a new form or report
> in
> the same database did fix the problem. It's kind of a guessing game
> sometimes
> as to which strategy will work, if any of them work.
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "Pete D." wrote:
>
>> I have had this error on a report I had frequently changed, added and
>> removed things to its design.  Someone here suggested running the
>> /decompile
>> option on the datafile and it cured the problem.
>> http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0008.htm
>>
>> Pete D.

0
Pete

Isinteg Warning Message Question

open two different Access reports

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Interface not registered message

Error in Outlook Today

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Re: 'Uknown Error 0x800CCC97'

Input to custom reports

Duplicate Messages

stop error defeating me

Error in database....

Forwarded messages are not being sent

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

error 553

80070005 error #2

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...