entering date in access records

hello everyone,

      I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
records, how can I do it in one shot?

thanks,
-- 
hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:21:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

6 Replies
780 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30

Create a new query using the table that needs to be updated.  From the query 
grid, click QUERY in the menu and select UPDATE QUERY

In the query grid, select the date field as the field to update as the first 
colum and in teh UPDATE TO row in the current column set the update value to 
Now()

Since you're updating all records, no criteria is necessary.  Click the run 
button on the toolbar and confirm the update when asked.
-- 
Kevin Backmann


"Hanamachi" wrote:

> hello everyone,
> 
>       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> records, how can I do it in one shot?
> 
> thanks,
> -- 
> hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:31:06 PM
the problem is i want to enter a date that is not now something like 10--5-2005
-- 
hanamichi


"Kevin B" wrote:

> Create a new query using the table that needs to be updated.  From the query 
> grid, click QUERY in the menu and select UPDATE QUERY
> 
> In the query grid, select the date field as the field to update as the first 
> colum and in teh UPDATE TO row in the current column set the update value to 
> Now()
> 
> Since you're updating all records, no criteria is necessary.  Click the run 
> button on the toolbar and confirm the update when asked.
> -- 
> Kevin Backmann
> 
> 
> "Hanamachi" wrote:
> 
> > hello everyone,
> > 
> >       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> > of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> > records, how can I do it in one shot?
> > 
> > thanks,
> > -- 
> > hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:33:01 PM
If the field is a Date data type enter the update value as follows:

#10/5/2005#
-- 
Kevin Backmann


"Hanamachi" wrote:

> the problem is i want to enter a date that is not now something like 10--5-2005
> -- 
> hanamichi
> 
> 
> "Kevin B" wrote:
> 
> > Create a new query using the table that needs to be updated.  From the query 
> > grid, click QUERY in the menu and select UPDATE QUERY
> > 
> > In the query grid, select the date field as the field to update as the first 
> > colum and in teh UPDATE TO row in the current column set the update value to 
> > Now()
> > 
> > Since you're updating all records, no criteria is necessary.  Click the run 
> > button on the toolbar and confirm the update when asked.
> > -- 
> > Kevin Backmann
> > 
> > 
> > "Hanamachi" wrote:
> > 
> > > hello everyone,
> > > 
> > >       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> > > of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> > > records, how can I do it in one shot?
> > > 
> > > thanks,
> > > -- 
> > > hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:36:04 PM
so is it possible to enter a date or data or name i choose and have it 
entered automatically across all my records?


thanks
-- 
hanamichi


"Hanamachi" wrote:

> the problem is i want to enter a date that is not now something like 10--5-2005
> -- 
> hanamichi
> 
> 
> "Kevin B" wrote:
> 
> > Create a new query using the table that needs to be updated.  From the query 
> > grid, click QUERY in the menu and select UPDATE QUERY
> > 
> > In the query grid, select the date field as the field to update as the first 
> > colum and in teh UPDATE TO row in the current column set the update value to 
> > Now()
> > 
> > Since you're updating all records, no criteria is necessary.  Click the run 
> > button on the toolbar and confirm the update when asked.
> > -- 
> > Kevin Backmann
> > 
> > 
> > "Hanamachi" wrote:
> > 
> > > hello everyone,
> > > 
> > >       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> > > of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> > > records, how can I do it in one shot?
> > > 
> > > thanks,
> > > -- 
> > > hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:38:03 PM
First you need make a complete backup of the database file just in case 
something goes wrong.

Next either create or use an existing field in the table. The field type 
should be Date/Time.

Open up a new query based on the table in question. Pull down the date/time 
field into the Field of the first column. Run this query to see what data 
shows up. Ideally there will be nothing but empty fields. If any have dates 
in them, you will be overwriting those values with the new date.

Go back to design view and go up to Query on the menu. Select Update Query.

In the Update To box under the date field heading, put something like the 
following:

  #12/6/2007#

The #'s tells Access that it's a date which you want to enter. Run the 
query. After a while it will ask you if you really want to update all the 
records. That's your decision.
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.


"Hanamachi" wrote:

> hello everyone,
> 
>       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> records, how can I do it in one shot?
> 
> thanks,
> -- 
> hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 8:38:04 PM
ok got that part, thanks, then how would I combine 2 huge databases into one?
-- 
hanamichi


"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> First you need make a complete backup of the database file just in case 
> something goes wrong.
> 
> Next either create or use an existing field in the table. The field type 
> should be Date/Time.
> 
> Open up a new query based on the table in question. Pull down the date/time 
> field into the Field of the first column. Run this query to see what data 
> shows up. Ideally there will be nothing but empty fields. If any have dates 
> in them, you will be overwriting those values with the new date.
> 
> Go back to design view and go up to Query on the menu. Select Update Query.
> 
> In the Update To box under the date field heading, put something like the 
> following:
> 
>   #12/6/2007#
> 
> The #'s tells Access that it's a date which you want to enter. Run the 
> query. After a while it will ask you if you really want to update all the 
> records. That's your decision.
> -- 
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> 
> 
> "Hanamachi" wrote:
> 
> > hello everyone,
> > 
> >       I have this following problem. I have a access database with thousands 
> > of records. The problem now is I want to enter the same date into all those 
> > records, how can I do it in one shot?
> > 
> > thanks,
> > -- 
> > hanamichi
0
Utf
12/6/2007 9:01:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Constructing Hyperlink from the Database Record fields
I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including Access 2007. I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily do with Hyperlink type field. However since all the necessary information is already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary. Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the FileName itself. As you can see the Database records has al...

making an equation in access
Hi, I would like to create a field that works out a formula based on other fields. i.e field z=field4, when field 1<field 2 - field 3 etc. Yes, it may be a silly question but I am only new to this....Thanks, Dani. Dani, recommend against creating a "field" in a table and storing this value. One of the generally accepted rules of relational database development is not to store a "computed" (any value that is based on the value of other fields in your database) value in the table. It is a waste of database space, and will eventually result in bad data (...

Hot Dates
Hi, I have a Year-at-a-Glance worksheet into which users enter important dates and associated actions to be taken. I now want to use Conditional Formatting to highlight specific entries in the worksheet when their date matches today's date. The problem I have is that I need to convert data from three independent cells into a date to compare it with 'TODAY()'. The first cell (formatted as a number) carries the day, e.g. 2, 17, 23, etc. The second cell (formatted as General) carries the month, e.g. January, March, September, etc. The third cell (formatted as a num...

how do I remove fx from the function line, can't enter data
I have the fx displayed just under my toolbar, and I can't enter or change data in any of the cells in the file. I can't get the red X, the Green check mark, or the black = sign to appear. There are very few areas that are not "greyed out" under the headings at the top. This situation applies to all of the excel files on this computer. I have Excel 2000. Please help. Can you move the cursor around anywhere in the spreadsheet? "dmdranch" wrote: > I have the fx displayed just under my toolbar, and I can't enter or change > data in any of the c...

Using Excel spreadsheet as input to Access
Hello, I posted this in the New Users forum but only got one answer, so thought I'd try here as well. Like so many others, I am an Excel newbie. I was a mainframe COBO programmer in another life, but that was a few years back My manager would like me to write an app that will take tracking dat from an existing Excel spreadsheet (generated by our system) but onl use a select handful of columns as input to a new Access database tha I will create. I'm guessing that I can either a) create a new edited spreadsheet to b used as input to the Access database or b) use the Import wiza...

Insert Static Date as part of Macro
I've built a nice macro, but I want it to insert the date it is run in an empty cell within the macro's range. When working within a spreadsheet, Ctrl +; returns the system date, but I can't figure out how to put that command into a macro. The macro recorder editor shows that the system recognizes the entry as the current date, not a function that returns the current date. The now() or today() functions are both dynamic ... they change with the system date. That's not acceptable in this situation. I need to seen when the macro was run. Thanks for any help, Ralph di...

Enter multiple cash receipt payment methods in Cashbook/BM.
When entering a receipt into cashbook/bank management, there is sometimes a need to receipt the amount as more than one payment type - e.g. cash and cheque. This process is accommodated well in SOP. It would be useful to have this type of procedure included in Bank Management. This is a user request from Pan Pac Forest Products. ...

How can I keep track of when (date and time) data is entered into.
I am trying to create a spreadsheet for a high school class. I need to be able to track when a student has entered data into specific cells of the spreadsheet. Any ideas? In the code behind the worksheet, enter (eg) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Cells(1, 1).Value = Now() End Sub This will enter in Cell A1 the date and time at which any entry is made in that worksheet. If you need the location of the time-stamp to vary according to which cell is changed then you can test the value of Target and vary the destination cell accordingly. -- Return email address is n...

zz report date truncation
We run only z reports at end of day. We will be running cashier shifts soon and would like to run z and zz reports the way they were intended. Is there any way to truncate the zz report date for each register without it running since the beginning of time and using a truckload of paper? Thanks in advance! This may not be the most graceful solution, but you could simply turn off your printer before 'printing' the zz report. Then manually delete all print tasks for that printer before turning it back on. The report won't print, but RMS will think it did. "TV hardwa...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

Outlook Web Access HTTP 500 and HTTP 404 errors
hi, I am experiencing this problem on Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003, when the users try to authenticate to Outlook Web Access, they get the following error messages in their browsers, "http 500 - internal server error" or "http error 404 - file or directory not found", the customer upgraded to windows/exchange 2003 6 months ago from windows/Exchange 2000 (in place upgrade), they only discovered the problem last week when they tried creating new users, i created 3 test users and the 3 users were getting the above errors. some already existing users have no prob...

Historical IV Trial Balance
When running this report in Summary, I am receiving an error when trying to run with a date range. Has anyone seen this before? are you getting a duplicate error? If you are, then what you are experiencing is a bug. To fix, you will have to apply the latest service pack. Hope this helps. Rheiner "DavidInterDyn" wrote: > When running this report in Summary, I am receiving an error when trying to > run with a date range. Has anyone seen this before? I think so. I'll try that by applying SP 4 for 10.0 "Rheiner" wrote: > are you gettin...

Excel
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to set up when I enter the data each cells on first row, it will default the date and time stamp on first row. 2nd row should have the different date and time stamp than 1st row. I put "=now()" but it create the same date and time for 80 rows. I don't want that. I want to enter each rows and each rows should be different by one minute apart but same date - June 22. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks Format A1:A79 as Custom dd-mmm-yy h:mm Select A1 Hold down CTRL Key and hit semi-colon key then <space> bar. Sti...

Date changing 2028....2029......1930???????
Hello! I have a slight problem, in my form i have a date section which is automated as 00/00/00. I use these for part of a report as a from this date to this date, if you put 010125 it will automatically change it to 01/01/2025. The thing I have found is that it is fine until you get to 010130 and then it saves it as 01/01/1930 :-/ any ideas? Thank You Jay -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200703/1 Assuming you're using XP, go to Regional Settings in the Control Panel, and click on the Customize button. Look on the...

Report for single record
I have a report that shows much data about a single record that I am trying to reuse from a previous database. In my new DB, the project manager is set in an intermediate table between project data and contact data. How do I reference a table outside the forms data source? Can I run a query in a form without having to build a query? Several possibilities. If you just need to look up a single value from another table so you can limit the report to the correct value, DLookup() should do that for you. See: Getting a value from a table: DLookup() at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-07...

Leave Balance As of Date
Urgent response requested for this query. This inquiry is pertaining to ‘Annual Leave Inquiry’ screen in GP 8.0. The “Leave Balance As of Date” values are displayed incorrectly for new employees joined in 2006. Incorrect values are appearing in the Employees Leave Balance List Report as well. The Year End Leave process for the year 2006 was conducted on January 4th. The leave calculation for all the new employees is starting from this day i.e. 4th January. However, the leave entitlement value is correct. If an employee joins in May and his annual leave entitlement is 30 then it sho...

telnet client in access form
Hello. I am trying to creat a form for work that involves connecting to a telnet server to automatically send and retreive specified data. I am new to VB and I am not sure why my code is not working... anybody help me out? Here is the code that seems to be generating the error: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) telnet.RemoteHost = "HOST" telnet.RemotePort = 23 End Sub (obviously i have replaced removed the host name since i am posting this) ...

Problems updating Access 2003 Database
We currently use an Access 2003 data base to create and send forms within the organization. We are seeing instances where the new records are not appending and believe it may be the query that is causing the issue. The INSERT query is: INSERT INTO table_headerdata ( wso_num ) SELECT Max([table_headerdata]![wso_num])+1 AS Expr1 FROM table_headerdata WHERE wso_num < 1000000; We would appreciate any help to resolve this issue. On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:50:00 -0800, ehess00 <ehess00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We currently use an Access 2003 data base to create and send for...

Can I use the same driver in all versions of Access or Sqlserver
Hello,I have got a question,I wonder if i can use the same driver as Access2000 to get the data from all versions of Access database,my code connected to Access2000 is as follows: "m_pConnection->Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DataSource="+s.m_database,"","",adModeUnknown); Is this code available for other versions of Access? If not,can anyone tell me the correct code for Access2002.Access2003,Access97? my code connected to Sqlserver2000 is as follow: m_pConnection->Open(Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Password="+s.m_pass...

Official release date?
Can anyone tell me the official release date of service pack 2 for Exchange 2003? We're trying to put together a timeline for an issue and that date would greatly help. Thanks, Dan 10/19/2005, iirc. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B2A7855-8A07-4FC1-B914-E9942D1920E1@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me the official release date of service pack 2 for > Exchange > 2003? We're trying to put together a timeline for ...

Any way to change the transaction date?
I had a wierd issue recently when the server was restarted it went back to 1/1/2003 I replaced board battery to fix the pblm but for reporting porposes is there any way to move the sales data for what the system thinks is 1/1/2003 to 1/28/2007? you can do so by using following query: take the backup before performing the operation: update [Transaction] set Time='2007-1-28' where year(time)=2003 and month(time)=1 and day(time)=1 update Journal set Time='2007-1-28' where year(time)=2003 and month(time)=1 and day(time)=1 update TransactionHold set TransactionTime='...

Change Opportunity Date to Quarter info
Hello, could you help me to convert MS CRM 4 Opportunity Estimate Close Date to Quarter info (and set quarter info to new field) I'll do it on field onchange function. sample : 2010.01.03 change to 2010Q1 2010.04.23 change to 2010Q2 So I need code for onchange funktion :) B.I. On 17 Gru, 15:40, "B.I." <aid...@jdjdjd.lt> wrote: > Hello, > > could you help me to convert MS CRM 4 > Opportunity Estimate Close Date to Quarter info (and set quarter info to new > field) > I'll do it on field onchange function. > sample : > > 2010.01.03 change...

Template Wizard, why aren't records being created in database
When creating a template using the Template Wizard, the database is being created but only the field headings are created. Why aren't the records being created in the database? ...

Outlook blocked access to the potentially unsafe objects: package
Hi, We get a warning prompt while sending a mail with another emails as attachments. It says "outlook found potentially unsafe objects" message. All the attachments in the email are MSG format files. I know the procedure to allow unsafe file attachments but the error message says "unsafe objects". How do I allow sending mails with unsafe objects?? -Chandu If you try to send the same message in Plain Text format, do you still get that error? If so, there is probably an object within your message that is triggering the error. Things like Stationery and Si...

Vaildation Date from a Differance worksheet
I am trying to populate a validation field with some data from a difference worksheet, which is a part of the same work book. Is this possible The raw data looks like this � CODE, Description � but once I have chosen the raw data the only bit of data I need is the code, to be left in the field on the main worksheet. I know this can be done in ACCESS, but for some reason I have to do this in excel. Can anyone help? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...