display the value of an unbound textbox in a field within a table

I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2
dates.  The 3rd textbox contains the value.  I now want to have this value
displayed in a table field.  I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice
and have spent far too much time on this already.  Can anyone help!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Fibi,

The general concept of tables is that they are for storage of data in
the background.  They are not for display of data.  That is what forms
and reports are for.  Therefore, the appearance of the data in the
tables is not normally relevant, and the display of calculated values is
impossible.  You already have the calculated value shown on your form.
If you can explain what further purpose you need it for, someone will be
able to advise the best way to go about it.

--
Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

fibi wrote:
> I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2
> dates.  The 3rd textbox contains the value.  I now want to have this value
> displayed in a table field.  I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice
> and have spent far too much time on this already.  Can anyone help!
0
Steve
1/4/2008 3:51:38 AM
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:43:01 -0800, fibi <fibi@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2
>dates.  The 3rd textbox contains the value.  I now want to have this value
>displayed in a table field.  I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice
>and have spent far too much time on this already.  Can anyone help!

No. You don't need to store it in the table field.

Storing derived data such as this in your table accomplishes
three things: it wastes disk space; it wastes time (almost
any calculation will be MUCH faster than a disk fetch); and
most importantly, it risks data corruption. If one of the
underlying fields is subsequently edited, you will have data
in your table WHICH IS WRONG, and no automatic way to detect
that fact.

Just redo the calculation whenever you need it, either as a
calculated field in a Query or just as you're now doing it -
in the control source of a Form or a Report textbox.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/4/2008 4:21:29 AM
"fibi" <fibi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2
> dates.  The 3rd textbox contains the value.  I now want to have this value
> displayed in a table field.  I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete
> novice
> and have spent far too much time on this already.  Can anyone help!

0
msnews

Mailing address fields
I have 4 address fields in database But not need to use all of them every time. How can I remove (eg address2 ) and shift the other fields (eg suburb and city) up a slot . I dont want to have gaps in the address label header. There's a report wizard that will lay your address lables out correctly for you. Essentially, you set the Can Shrink property of the text box to Yes. If it is null, the text box then shrinks vertically as if it were zero-height (provided there are no other things beside it that prevent this.) The Detail section also has a Can Shink property. If you want the ...

mapping between two lookup fields
Can we map the values of two lookup fields between two entities? For example mapping the data from lookup field “primary contact” [ contact entity] to lookup field “account manager” [ account entity]. So that i can view the value of primary contact in account manager. any condition ? ...

Order entity
The "Order" entity in CRM has a number of status's (Active, Fulfilled, Cancelled, Submitted and Invoiced). From the Actions menu on the Order form it's possible to Cancel and Fulfill an Active order - and doing so changes the Order status as you would expect. However: 1) Invoicing the order (which creates an Invoice record) doesn't change the status of the order to Invoiced 2) I can't see how to change the status to Submitted. I expect it's possible to do both of the above programatically. However is it possible to do it through the CRM UI? On Jun 14, 9:10=A...

Deleting characters in text fields
I have a table of data where the quantity is stored as a text value. Before I convert it to a number value I need to delete some of the characters. Most of the values appear like this: 25.000- but some appear as 5- with no decimal points. Is there a way to to strip out all characters to the left of the decimal point so that 25.000- ends up as 25? Or is there a way just to strip out the " - " character to get 25.000? Thanks, Sean Sean, You can strip out the "-" by using the Replace command: Replace("25.000-", "-", "") Taking every...

Help!! sort address field by street, then number??
Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? cell data "7004 Brookville Rd" need the file by street name , then by number. All suggestions deeply appreciated. Keef If you're lucky you could use Data|Text to columns. To separate pieces into individual columns. But I've never been lucky enough to get 100% -- lots of manual effort may be required. Keefer wrote: > > Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? > cell data > "7004 Brookville Rd" > need the file by street name , then by number. > > All suggestions deeply appreciated. > > Keef...

Mass Data Entry for a Junction Table
On my Junction table we track the employee and what education offerings they have attended. We have found that we have multiple employees attending the same offerings on the same day. (makes sense, if a class is offered one day you will about 20-30 people in that class) Is there any way to simplify the data entry process. Right now on the form the person doing data entry selects the employee, the education offering and the date. This has to be done for each attendee. What would be great would be to create a form that allows you to select a course and a date, and then select mult...

Changing the fields the LOOK FOR facility uses
Hi, Ive had a good look round the system and dont think this is possible, just wondered if anybody else has any ideas. The issue is as follows :- If I go to the default cases view (All Cases), I can see all cases against all accounts. I would like to be able to Look For all or part of an account name (or potentially other fields) to quickly filter this list. Is it possible to alter or add the fields that the Look For facilty will use to return results? or Can an advanced find use take arguments? Cheers Dan Hi, Go to Settings - Customization, and customize the Case enti...

Sum based on range values
I need to sum a column A, but only if values in an adjacent column B>0. Therefore the example below should sum to 10 (only including the first 3 rows). A B 7 5 0 4 3 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 Ideally this should be a formula in a cell, not a macro. Any ideas? It doesn't sound complicated, but I can't get my head round it. TIA Ian Thanks Julie. I knew it had to be straightforward. Just a case of knowing which function to use. Ian "JulieD" <JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote in message news:%23$anRGw$EHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > us...

Formatting 0 values to show blank cells
I am using the =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),0,VLOOKUP(...)) to return a zero value. For printing purposes I need the 0 to not show in the cell (blank cell). I can do this by using the accounting format, but a dash (-) still shows in the cell. The sheet is protected to protect the formula. How can I protect AND not show anything in the cell WHILE keeping the value at "0"? You can use set the custom format to ;;""; See Worksheet and Excel table basics > Formatting numbers in Excel help file for details. "RLD" wrote: > I am using the =...

Two Excel tables in MS Query
How can I link two tables in two Excel-files, in MS Query and result view in PivotTable? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I can link two tables in one Excel-file. ActiveSheet.PivotTableWizard SourceType:=xlExternal, SourceData:=Array( _ "SELECT `TKG_DATA$`.YEAR, `TKG_DATA$`.MONTH, `TKG_DATA$`.DAY, `TKG_DATA$`.TIME, `TKG_DATA$`.`INC/OUT`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C59/170`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C46/158`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C356/137`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C355/358`, `TKG" _ , _ "_DATA$`.`C354/357`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C32/142`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C30/116`, `TKG_D...

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Formula Error
I have a list of codes in F$19:F$1500. I was attempting to use the following code to assign a number to each unique value in the list and repeat the previously assigned number if it is duplicated. This works for the first 15-20 numbers, but returns an error (#n/a) afterwards as if the code stopped working. I have tried EVERYTHING... Same result each time. =IF(COUNTIF($F$18:F19,F19)>1,VLOOKUP(F19,F$18:G18,2,FALSE),MAX($G $18:G18)+1) Any clues? My guess... =countif() treats everything as text. So the text string ="1" (or '1) will be counted as a match as well as the num...

remove Print Display
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I can not remove the Big Blue Print Display words pasted on my xcel sheet. When I save and send to others it is still there, making it difficult to read text There is nothing in Excel that would cause anything like what you've briefly described to occur by default. It would have to explicitly have been created by someone working in the file. With no more detail than you've provided though there are only 2 possibilities that come to mind. The first is that someone has added some sort of graphic or text to the Hea...

Insert Extender Field
I had used GP Extender to add a few fields to the GP 10 Customer Maintenance screen. All was fine until I tried inserting a field in between two other fields. Now everything is offset. If I look at the field values I can see all the correct and complete values. However, when I go to the customer maintenance screen and try to view them that way, they are all cut off. Is it possible to insert a new field in between two previously exisiting fields? I just noticed what it is really doing. In all of the fields after the newly inserted field it is only showing me the first character. I...

VALUE error message
I would like I5 to equal F5+G5-h5. I get a value error message. one or more of the cells F5,G5 or H5 probably have text in them, either a number entered/pasted as text, or a "blank" made by pressing the space bar (and inserting a space character). For the first problem, copy an empty cell, select F5:H5 and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and Add radio buttons, then click OK. This will coerce any "text" numbers to real numbers. For the latter, use the del key or Edit/Clear/Contents rather than the spacebar to clear the cell. Note that SUM(F5:G5,-H5...

Maximum value to use autofiler feature in excel
Hi, does anybody know the maximum value to use autofilter in ms excel? I heard my friend told me that excel could filter only select data is less than 1000. He told me that he has 4000 row and use autofilter, an expected record is more than a thousand but the record display only 1000 maximum. I want to test like him too but I don't have any file that contain alot many thousand of record. Does anybody have any idea? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roath Kanel" <012633023@mobitel.com.kh> schrie...

if the cell value exceeds the limit to have a dialog box appear
Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box would appear? Thanks for any assistance. Dave Check Data Validation: Select the cells Data>Data Validation Allow: (check out the number options: whole number, decimal, etc) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Dschro" wrote: > Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box > would appear? > > Thanks for any assistance. > > Dave > Ron, Here's the scenario -- on an Expense Report: If an employee was to fill in any amount in the &...

Sumproduct but only first time corresponding value is seen e.g. un
Using XL03 Sample Data: Name Race Speed Avg Speed Track Month Joe 2:12 2:15 OFCF Jan Joe 2:28 2:15 ADL Feb Mary 2:14 2:07 ADL Jan Joe 2:15 2:15 ADL Feb etc I already have sumproducts in place to count how many participants raced in each month, how many at each track, etc. The last piece I need to add is the number of people for a given track on a given month, who had an /average/ time of over 2 minutes. But, I have repeat...

Excel cell display
I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I make that happen? Would Insert> Comment work for you? "slantt" wrote: > I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I > make that happen? Yes, thanks - I found that after I posted of course (newbie to Excel). I was looking to see if there was a macro I could gen to do the same thing... "ufo_pilot" wrote: > Would > Insert> Comment > work for you? > > > "slantt" wrote: > > > I want a text box...

datetime field display
Have a form with a table as Record Resource. There's a datetime field in the table which I would like to break down programmatically and display in two unbound controls: a "hour" combo box and a "minute" combo box. If the user selects other values in the combos, I would like to update the datetime field accordingly. I prefer not having the user to touch the date portion of the datetime field. What's the "proper" way to implement this? Do I need to initiate another read of the record to populate the unbound combos? If so at what poi...

can i not allow duplicate values in the same column?
is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm In article <4765FB37-8F89-4220-A901-B289FDCDE23F@microsoft.com>, excel newbie <excel newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? If the values are typed in you can use this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excel newbie" wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? ...

POP downloading but not displaying email
I recently installed the Outlook Connector to Windows Live mail account (although I do not know if this has anything to do with the problem). Suddenly, when downloading pop email, the email never actually reaches my Outlook mailboxes. Some email does but the vast majority of it doesn't. On the bottom right of Outlook, it shows downloading of messages but then the messages just disappear. I have looked in the junk folder, deleted folder, even the draft folder but the downloaded messages aren't there. I deleted all of the filters. At this point I don't know what else to do...

In-Transit Transfer Smartlists / Tables
Is their a Smartlist to view the open In-Transit Transfer Entry transactions in addition to a smartlist for open/histrory receiveing transactions? I am unable to view either of those smartlists. Is their a specific security permission that I have to unlock? If no smartlists exists, what are the relates SQL table names so that I can build them? Note: We are not registered with FSS module as we are a Wennsoft SMS/JC client. Thank you in advance. -- Scott Brunskill ODS Regina Have you tried the In-Transit Transfers List that appears in the Navigation Pane under Inv...

Lead Activity regarding field display is blank
When I attempt to create an activity from a lead, the regarding field will not display the original lead. The lead is there, because I can click on the lead icon and reference the original lead, but the lead subject field will not display. I am logged in as administrator so I have full rights. Any suggestions are appreciated Never mind. I sovled this. Workflow related issue. "ilibhart" wrote: > When I attempt to create an activity from a lead, the regarding field will > not display the original lead. The lead is there, because I can click on the > lead icon an...

Unbound combobox invalid datatype error
I have 3 unbound comboboxes in the form header that I'm using in sequence to act as a filtering device for a form. The first combobox allows the user to select the field for filtering from an autogenerated list based on the controls in the form's detail section. The second allows the user to select the criteria based on a hardwired list. The value list of the 3rd combobox is auto-generated based on the data entered in chosen field of the form's recordsource. When this combobox is updated (ie: a value selected) it creates a filter string that filters both the form and a list...