Disappearing data in sync'd forms

I have a small sized text box in a form called frmMain. This text box may or
may not contain a large amount of text. If the text box does contain alot of
text I want to open up a new form called frmLargeText that contains a larger
text box to allow the user to easily see and edit the large amount of text. I
also need the two forms to stay in sync. i.e. if the user moves to a new
record then both forms move to the same record. I thought I could do this by
setting the recordset of frmLargeText to   equal the recordset of frmMain as
follows:

Dim frm as Form_frmLargeText
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Set rst = Me.Recordset
Set frm = New Form_frmLargeText
Set frm.Recordset = rst
frm.Visible = True

This all works fine untill the user edits the data in frmLargeText. Here's
what happens.
1) User edits text box in frmLargText
2) User switches back to frmMain and edits a diferent field but as soon as
the user types something this field the original text in the field disappears.

Both forms are set to Record Locks = Edited Records.

Why is the original text disapering? Is there a way to prevent the original
text from disappearing?

Thanks,
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:01:02 -0700, prototype
<prototype@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a small sized text box in a form called frmMain. This text box may or
>may not contain a large amount of text. If the text box does contain alot of
>text I want to open up a new form called frmLargeText that contains a larger
>text box to allow the user to easily see and edit the large amount of text.

An alternative approach is to train the user to hit Shift-F2 to open the built
in Zoom box.

>I also need the two forms to stay in sync. i.e. if the user moves to a new
>record then both forms move to the same record. I thought I could do this by
>setting the recordset of frmLargeText to   equal the recordset of frmMain as
>follows:
>
>Dim frm as Form_frmLargeText
>Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
>Set rst = Me.Recordset
>Set frm = New Form_frmLargeText
>Set frm.Recordset = rst
>frm.Visible = True
>
>This all works fine untill the user edits the data in frmLargeText. Here's
>what happens.
>1) User edits text box in frmLargText
>2) User switches back to frmMain and edits a diferent field but as soon as
>the user types something this field the original text in the field disappears.

>Both forms are set to Record Locks = Edited Records.
>
>Why is the original text disapering? Is there a way to prevent the original
>text from disappearing?

You now have two completely independent and unrelated recordset objects, one
for each form.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Text box based on form entry
I have a form with a subform. I want the form to display a label or text box that says "Deleted" if my delete checkbox is checked on the subform. I also want the same label or text box to appear on a report that refers to the same record. Any thoughts would be most helpful TIA Papa Papa Jonah wrote: >I have a form with a subform. >I want the form to display a label or text box that says "Deleted" if my >delete checkbox is checked on the subform. >I also want the same label or text box to appear on a report that refers to >the same record. Try setting...

Upload data on sharepoint automatically.
Hi, I have some pdf files in a folder which I want to upload on sharepoint with the help of Excel VBA code. Sharepoint doesnt have a check-in process. It will be great if some one can help me with this. Regards Heera Chavan I'm looking into the same thing. I can't try this because I don't have SharePoint installed yet (hopefully next week); seems like this should work: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms868615 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb462636%28office.11%29.aspx http://www.fyxm.net/Upload-Multiple-63890.html -- Ryan--- If this informa...

Is it possible to filter the data inside the series command?
I have the height of 149 patient in one column named "height". 78 of them are male and 71 are female. I want to draw the height chart for male and female separetly. (x-axis has no meaning here and y-axis is the height) I want the chart to have two series one for male and the other for female and draw two separate line in the chart. Ideally I want both lines to appear from a min value to max value (both line shows the increasing trend) I can draw the chart if I I can put the height for male and female in 2 separate columns and my problem is that I have the height for both of te...

Export Time Track data to ADP
We are implenting Wenn Soft Time Track. We have a third party administrator that does our payroll. With that, we have set up the Wenn Soft Time Track to Export our time into an ADP format to interface with our third party administrator. We are able to get the regular time and over time placed in the correct cololmn (Reg Hours and Overtime Hours). However, we also have Travel Straight Time, Travel Overtime and Travel Double Time. We are able to place the Double time in to the correct column, however, the travel straight time and travel overtime are being placed under our regular and overti...

OE disappears!
I open OE - no problem. Switch to my second identity. OE appears to close down, there is no evidence of it still running. Open task manager, no applications are running. Try to open OE - I get a message that it can't start as it is already running. So, I log off windows restart, open OE and it opens in my second identity. This has only just started happening and occasionally in that time has worked correctly. I have run a deep virus scan. Can anyone suggest what has happened? Pete ...

open form to blank records
I have looked on the message board for this posting and have found answers. They are the same answers that I have tried but my solution is not working. Here is the problem. I have a form where I want to open up to blank records. These records are only to viewed, not edited or added. I put this logic DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec in the OnOpen event and also tried the OnLoad event of the form. I've also referenced the form frmCustomers in the statement. I get this error of "Can't go to specified record". What could be causing this error? Thanks in advanced. Kim P -- ...

Macro to Synchronize data frm svrl workbooks & columns to 1 workbo
I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3, then look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for column "B" & "C". The data in workbooks 1 & 2 columns "A", "B" & "C" will be changing daily. The problem I run into when I try to...

How do I get all 5 graph charts to show data (not be greyed out)?
Excel 2003: All of a sudden, only one the active graph shows up w/ data. All 5 other graphs are greyed out. If I select another chart, then the previous active chart goes grey. I've tried all kinds of settings changes. None of my other Excel spreadsheets w/ charts do this! Help! Hi, You have the View objects as Placeholder enabled. In xl2003 use menu Tools > Options > View > Objects >Show All Cheers Andy On 21/02/2010 21:29, marc el999 wrote: > Excel 2003: All of a sudden, only one the active graph shows up w/ data. > All 5 other graphs are gr...

how do i create background lines and colours for a form template?
I like the style of the northwind forms. They have a thin red line at the top and then grey which gets lighter as it gets to the right hand side. How is this created? Jon, I use Access 2003. I can't use colours which blend and fade to colour any controls I draw on a form. I notice some of the A2003 access templates from microsoft.com have shades and blending, but I can't find any way to create that effect myself. The closest I can get is to import one of the forms in a template and use that form in my own database. Jeanette Cunnningham "Jon" <Jon@discussions.micr...

Extracting data from great plains
How can I extract data from different accouting periods and bring them into a single file. I do not have Microsoft support. Hello Dirty, That's a very generic question. Data frolm which modules? What kind of data? What kind of source file? What do you want to do with the data? A little more information will help to guide you in the right direction. Thanks > How can I extract data from different accouting periods and bring them > into a single file. I do not have Microsoft support. > That is a very generic request, but you can use RW and print to a file or you colld c...

Using 'LIKE' with XML Data
I keep some notes in a small XML data file and would like to be able to search them. I am building a filter string: filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "SELECT * FROM " + m_TableName + " WHERE FileName LIKE ", searchString); When testing this produces: "SELECT * FROM tblFileNotes WHERE FileName LIKE '%nero%'" When I then call: DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString); I get the error: Missing operand after 'tblFileNotes' operator. The table name is correct as is the field name and the same query works...

Installed Excel Viewer 2003 but it wont download email data
Received xls file and installed viewer to access it. Opened the file but could not download the contents. ...

Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) is missing from New Outlook Data File
We have just upgrade to Outlook 2003 SP2. If I try to create a a new data file (or archive) my only choice is Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst). We cannot figure out why the Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) option is no longer there. It was there in the OUtlook 2003 SP1 version we had installed. Anyone ever come up against this problem? ...

Unable to create tables or forms
Hi, I have a users using access 2003 and for some reason he's not able to create a table, form, etc. When he double clicks on it or right click on it to open it, nothings happens. I've tried "detect and repair" and uninstalling/reinstalling access to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance. CJ investigate the User Level Security settings -- NTC "CJ" wrote: > Hi, > I have a users using access 2003 and for some reason he's not able to create > a table, form, etc. When he double clicks on it or right click on it to o...

Trying to populate data into form.......I'm an access beginner
I've got a form which is created from a table. The table contains values from other linked tables. which have primary keys which are stored in the main table. Here an example of the problem I'm having: I have a field called "Application Request" that I want to display on the form. It is a combo box which can contain various entries: "Masterfile" "Printed Form" "Report".....etc etc etc When I put the control source "Application Request" on the form, I'm getting the key, not the actual value. 1 is in the combo box, not "Ma...

Stopping a chart when the data runs out
Using Excel 2007, I have a chart set up to display based on a table. However, the table will have a variable number of entries. The way I have the data defined now includes the whole table which has a maximum of 25 entries. So if there are only 20 entries, the last 5 default to "", or for practical purposes, 0. If the rest of the table values are in the 70's, and the chart is a control chart, that makes the chart "taller" than it needs to be, and hard to read the part of the chart that contains the real data. What I would like to do is define the data to be plotted ...

Parsing data
I have looked at all the posts I could find but still have questions about this. I have a need to pull zipcode out of a 30 byte field. It could start in the 10 position or the 25th position. It is a length of five, except if it is an international address, then who knows! Let's just stick with zipcode for now. How do I go to the 30th position (the last blank) and keep going left until I get a 5 digit zip? Ideas? Something like this would extract a 5 character zip code that starts at the 25th position. Zipcode25: Mid([TheString],25, 5) However you mentioned a spa...

filter form by listbox selection
Access 2003 form called fGua has an unbound list box called lstComponent. When the user selects from the listbox how can I make the form filter by that selection Private Sub lstComponent_AfterUpdate() Select Case lstComponent.Value Case "CT" 'CT Me.Filter = "[Component] = [lstComponent].value " Me.FilterOn = True Me.Component.DefaultValue = """" & Me.lstComponent.Value & """" Case "ST" 'ST Me.Filter = "[Component] = [lstComponent].value &q...

"score data"
Lately when I use Word or Excel (not CREATE a new doc--just opening one and closing it), a little document entitled "score data" always shows up on my desktop, and it is unopenable. I don't use either of these apps very often, but when I initially installed Office and used them, I am certain such a thing never appeared. And I can find no info about it when I search Office's Help. I'm curious as to what it is, but honestly I'd just like it to GO AWAY! If it matters, I am using 10.4.9. Thanks for any help. KDog Well, your memory serves you well on at least one poin...

importing delimited data into single column
Is there a way in Excel 2007 to import spacedelimited data into a single column? The format of the input file is: word1 word2 word3 word 4 word5 word6 word7 word8 .. . . When I do a text import, it goes into multiple columns. Thanks in advance Make sure the name of the file has an extension of .txt. Then use Ctrl-0 (equivalent of file|open) to open the text file. You'll be prompted with a wizard that will allow you to import the text file anyway you want. On 10/30/2010 16:39, inspired wrote: > Is there a way in Excel 2007 to import spacedelimited data into a > single ...

Data Disappears
I have a database that has been running fine for over 5 years. Recently, odd behavior started - like data being entered into a form and then disappearing. One thing I have determined is that if one field (MRN) is completed then all the other data entered on the form disappears, but if I don't enter data into the MRN field, everything is fine. This does not happen everytime though. This also causes the autonumber that is generated to be used and then deleted along with the entire record, however there is evidence that the information was entered from my audit trail. Is it possibl...

Secondary Axis Selected Data Series
I am trying to add a secondary Y axis to a scatter chart. The Format menu doesn't provide the choice to Selected Data Series as the help screen indicates. How can I find Selected Data Series or otherwise add a secondary Y axis to my char? You need two or more series in a chart before you can add a secondary axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "dsteven" <dsteven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABE97180-641B-4CCE-B851-7F223E3BCF91@microsof...

Selecting columns from a query by using a form
I have querys with sums of patient-properties (they are symptoms like : coughing, Shingles, disability etc etc.) They query is a summing query making sums of all these properties for clients that can now be displayed, ordered by age and gender. I want users to be able to select from a listbox which column, ie which sum they want to view. How do I get a textbox to be bound to a column which is still to be selected from a listbox. I tried making a table for the listbox: columns: Userchoice, Fieldname where Fieldname is a text of the name of the column to be selected. ...

Copy row data from one sheet to one or more sheets depending on number of tick boxes selected (in the same row)
Hi I'm struggling to copy rows from one sheet to one or more sheet. What I have. Columns A to C contains user info eg Name, Company, email Address. Columns D to H is various emails lists the user belongs to eg: Tech News, Sales, etc etc. A user can belong to one or more distribution list. What I want to do. When I select one or more lists in Columns D to H (textbox linked to cell), I want the data from Columns A to C for the user to be copied to new sheets. There will be a sheet for every distribution list. When I deselect a user from a list it should be removed automatically from t...

How can I duplicate records into a table using a form
I want to enter the same record several times using a form and storing these records into a table. How can I duplicate one record for a number of times, (say 5 times) at once Hello Alf, Place a button on the form. On tha tag property of each control for the fields you want to copy, place an identifier such as the word "Copy" (without the quotes). In the Click event for the button place this code: Dim ctl As Control With Me.RecordsetClone .AddNew For Each ctl In Me.Controls If ctl.Tag = "Copy" Then .Fields(ctl.Name) = ctl End If Next ...