Determine Which Columns Are Hidden in VBA

I have a spreadsheet which will be used by individuals to update an
Access database.  The columns are locked, but I do allow them to hide
columns to make the data more customized.  Periodically they will
refresh their data from the database.  In order to avoid forcing them
to reformat to their preference (and thus encourage them to refresh
more frequently) I would like to determine which columns they have
hidden so I can unhide, update/append the new data, then hide the
columns again.  The same information would be advantageous, though
less so for the autofilter properties.  I have tried in vain to look
at the help files and have not found the correct text with which to
search in this group to find the answer.  Thanks in advance if you can
help.
0
nospamkam
3/7/2008 6:22:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Try this link for info on the VBA syntax:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11192-0.html?forumID=42&threadID=177201

"nospamkam@wowway.com" wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet which will be used by individuals to update an
> Access database.  The columns are locked, but I do allow them to hide
> columns to make the data more customized.  Periodically they will
> refresh their data from the database.  In order to avoid forcing them
> to reformat to their preference (and thus encourage them to refresh
> more frequently) I would like to determine which columns they have
> hidden so I can unhide, update/append the new data, then hide the
> columns again.  The same information would be advantageous, though
> less so for the autofilter properties.  I have tried in vain to look
> at the help files and have not found the correct text with which to
> search in this group to find the answer.  Thanks in advance if you can
> help.

Count consecutive values down a column
I have many tick records from live market data, in many separate files (one for each stock symbol). I am trying to make a new file of 2 fields; date & a count of the number of ticks (or records in the original file) for each date. The records in the original files show records (ticks) for any one date as ranging from 1 to well over 1000. The VB I've attempted to write has struck maybe it's biggest error where there is only one recortd (tick). Otherwise I've managed to account for importing the original text via macro and exporting the same (with thanks to Chip Pearson), ans a...

Automatically resizing columns and rows
I'd like to be able to automatically resize columns and rows to autofit the data on loading. I regularly transfer data from text files and access, and need to resize the columns and rows. Is there a way to do this automatically on data load, or quickly... so that I don't have to do it manually every time. Hi, Here are a couple of ways that allow this to be done quickly. *Using your keyboard is still manual but can be a lot quicker than the mouse, try: [ctrl + home], [ctrl + shift + end], and [alt + o + c + a] (nb: [ctrl + home] will not go to cell A1 if you have "frozen"...

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another
am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how would I write the formula for that????? Example: A B C 45time 11tune A match 11tune 89time 47doog 43jkjkj A match 123ABC 123ABC If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option. Thanks Try something like this: For a value list in B1:B5 and a ...

Newbie needs help data collection, naming columns, pulling in data.
I need help. I am new to Excel and I am doing some volunteer research for the University of Hawaii. I have several questions and will have several more. To get started here are my first questions. I know my questions are very basic so please bare with me. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks. Roy 1. How do I name a column? 2. How can I copy the information from the link below without manually typing in every single value? Is it possible to pull in the whole document? I tried copying one row of data but it put it in one cell instead of one row. ...

change column properties from text to number
I am collating keyword info which I have cut and pasted into excel. There are two columns: 1. Has ranking number of key word (shown as a number but in text format) and 2. the keyword itself. I want to altar the 1st column to number format so that I can sort the results by the ranking number. Hi Copy a blank, unused cell. Select the range you want to change and Edit / Paste / Special / Add Andy. "Elizabeth Walling" <mfoo@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:406c3bdc$0$31719$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk... > I am collating keyword info which I have cut and pasted into ex...

How can I make endless row, beyond IV column?
i want to have endless row, so when you go to the right it goes it goes and goes (pressing right arrow, for example) how can i do that? Hi You can't. That is the size of Excel - and it always has been. The next version (due later this year, I believe) should satisfy your requirements, though!! Andy. "Luciano" <Luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFCF8721-1DC8-4FC2-85ED-80149E371585@microsoft.com... >i want to have endless row, so when you go to the right it goes it goes and > goes (pressing right arrow, for example) > > how can i d...

Drop Down with hidden values
I need some assistance please. I have a spread sheet that I have drop down information on. When the user selects the word from the drop down list, I would like for the word to have a numerical value to it that the user does not see, but accumulates at the end of the column. Such as: Hamburger = 25 hotdog = 10 coke = 10 etc. Sub Total = 45 Any ideas? -- woodse I would use a table on a (hidden) sheet. Column A would hold the food item and column B would hold the number. Then I'd use formulas in the adjacent (also hidden) column that returned the value for tha...

columns in detail
i have a multi page report and i want to reduce paper waste by splitting ONLY the detail section of my report in two columns. except from page header i have three more headers following below so if i uncheck the same as detail option on page setup i cannot solve my problem. my detail section contains the fields "cross" and "reference". it is a very complex report so i would like to avoid inserting subreport. my goal is to have access create automatically two columns for my data since data are grouped by "code" and my report prints data for 15000 co...

VBA, Matrixfunktionen
Hallo, zur Zeit arbeite ich mit folgenden EXCEL-Version: EXCEL 2003 und EXCEL 2007. Zum Standardlieferumfang von EXCEL geh�ren auch Matrixfunktionen. Z.B. TREND,RGP oder MMULT. All diese Funktionen k�nnen mehr als einen Ergebniswert zur�ckgeben. Ab und an ist es notwendig VBA einzusetzen um benutzerdefinierte Funktionen zu schreiben. Dies ist sehr praktisch. Was aber, wenn eine Funktion mehr als einen Ergebniswert hat. Kann ich auch �ber VBA eine benutzerdefinierte Funktion schreiben, die �hnlich TREND oder MMULT als Matrixfunktion in eine Tabelle eingebunden werden kann? Wenn ja...

Sum range of cells with VBA
Hi all, I need to add a range of cells with VBA whose length which varies each time. Within my code I have written the following. Although I can locate the last cell address within the range the sum function does not return the value. Can someone please correct my code or tell me what i am doing wrong. ' Total Debit and Credit columns Dim TtlDr As Double Dim TtlCr As Double Dim LastRowDr As Range Dim LastRowCr As Range Set LastRowDr = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ("Datasheet")...

hidden message in outbox?
I am unable to send my messages in outbox. I finally realized that I have a hidden message or something that is not going through and preventing the rest of my messages from sending. If I delete all my messages in my outbox and then click send/rec, it tells me I am sending one message that never goes through. How do I find and delete this pesky little message, or fix my problem? It's probably a stuck read receipt: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deletereadreceipt.htm "Dr. Doug" <Dr. Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9661CE9F-...

why is there 256 columns on excel?
im wondering why there is 256 columns and 65536 rows on microsoft excel/ It was based on memory bytes: 256 = 2^8 or 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 8 binary bits, or one byte, can store the integers 0-255 (i.e., 256 numbers). 65536 = 2^16 or 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 16 binary bits, or two bytes, can store the integers 0-65535 (i.e,. 65536 numbers). So internally, each cell address had a representation that requires exactly 3 bytes - one for column, and two for row. In article <F688A76A-2919-404D-85AE-9276AAA3AD17@microsoft.com>, "bm" <bm@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Finding Column Position
I'm creating a spreadsheet to help me with scheduling employees. Is there a way to find out the position of the last entry in a row? I'm using the following formula to find the first entry: MATCH(1,b7:ak7,0) This returns the first "1" that it finds in column 7, but I don't know how to find the last "1" that it finds in the same column. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Brian -- Brian Mann ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Brian Mann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&am...

Query combobox unbound column
Does anyone know if it is possible to run an append query referencing a column in a combobox. In otherwords, my combobox is bound to column 0 - ID and column 1 is the name. I want to append it to another table as the name, not ID? Thanks in advance, Bonnie Typically you would create a hidden text box like: Name: txtTheName Control Source: =ComboBox.Column(n) Visible: No Then reference txtTheName in place of the unbound column. Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Bon" <Bon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9904A3B7-4B55-4F4E-976B-55249B436D...

In Excel 2 columns data into one?
I have a spreadsheet with several columns. I have a last name column and a first name column and I want to merge the last name and first name into one column instead of two. Help, I can't fugure this out. Hi in a helper column =A1 & " " & B1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kelgal123" <Kelgal123@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:22255EDA-F202-4D1B-A818-39E2D674D60D@microsoft.com... > I have a spreadsheet with several columns. I have a last name column and a > first name column and I want to merge the last name a...

No duplicates in 2 columns
Greetings all, I'm sure this is very easy, but I'm having trouble using the right syntax. I have a table with 2 fields, both of which are look-ups to fields in other tables. I simply want to make sure that the same information is not accidently entered in twice in my table. Eg. If Column 1 -Object Column 2 - Colour Column 1 Column 2 Ball Red Cube Red Ball Blue Ball Blue <- Not allowed I would also like it to pop-up with a little message which says that this ite...

splitter windows with mor ethan 2 columns or rows
Hello All, I have an application where I need to show multiple items in parallel. I would like a CSplitterWnd type interface so that I can individually resize each window by grabbing the 3D bar, however, I need more than just the 2 rows or 2 columns that CSplitterWnd can do. I need a dozen or more. It could probably be done by progressively embedding a new child splitter window in the second column/row, but that could be a potential pain in the gluteus maximus to keep track of after more than a few levels. :-P Does anybody know of a relatively easy way to get something like this? -...

check if the text in one cell exists in multiple columns
hi, I've got the following question: I have a sheet with for instance: A B C D E 1 6 4 2 2 3 3 4 5 5 6 I want to know with a formula if the text in column A exists in column B-E Not all text will be in b-e and there will be no specific order. Can anybody help me with this? i've tried Match, but it can not work with multiple columns (in my case 10) ultimatly I would like to use that formula in conditional formatting to color the cell in column A to green if it exists i...

How do I name a column?
Is there a way to put a name in a column instead of letters? I'm doing a form at work and I know about freeze panes and printing, but instead of having the A,B,C,D column letters printing on the form, I'd rather it print YEAR ACC# ETC... No. You can put a heading in row 1, but that's about it. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Brian" <brians34@grandecom.net> wrote in message news:6a6c01c4759e$194bff30$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to put a nam...

Determine current cursor appearance
I use docmd.hourglass true/false throughout my code to provide some feedback to the user when a process is running. Occassionally, I have nested processes that do this, so before I set it to false, I really need to check what its value was when it entered the subroutine. In Excel, I can use application.cursor to determine the current value of the cursor. Is there something similar in Access? Dale -- email address is invalid Please reply to newsgroup only. hi Dale, Dale Fye wrote: > In Excel, I can use application.cursor to determine the current > value of the cursor. Is th...

Copying a column without over-shooting
I typicall have 500 rows of data in my columns. I typically need to manipulate the data in a quick fashion. Moreover, I must copy/paste the data from columns A to Z, for example. Here is my issue: I have data in column A1:a500, and I need to move this to Z. I'd like to do so *without* including the elements of a501:a65526. I know the "typical" way of doing this: Scrolling all the way down to the 500th row, and cutting/copying and pasting. This is quite time consuming. What I do now is click on the letter "A" as in column A, and copy/cut. However, this copies/cu...

Count the number of columns on row that are not empty within a ran
I have a very large range, say A3 to AD97. Within this data, there needs to be additional data added weekly. What I want to do is add the data, via a macro, that will add the data on the row and in the last column of data plus 1. lastcoll = Cells(3, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column this gives me the last column with data in row 3, but I have data in cells beyond AD, so how do I have this code work for the entire Range(a3, AD97) . I tried: dim r as range r = Range(a3, AD97) , this line gives me run time error 1004, Also, I have 94 unique names in column A....

Color "on top" determined how?
For a chart with several points and lines expressed in different colors, some often overlapping another, what determines what color is "on top" of the other. I have a situation where a data point market is obscured by the error bar of something else. Will re-ordering the data series change this? How? My thanks in advance for any suggestions. Cheers! Brad Hi, Series order will affect how error bars overlay each other but for series on the same axis the markers appear over the error bars. If the series is on the secondary axis then it's markers and error bars will a...

hidden a dialog
How to hidden a dialog? ShowWindow (SW_HIDE); ... Amerce wrote: > ShowWindow (SW_HIDE); ... I used this....But the dialog was not hide..... Sanju =C3=D1=D3=E1=CA: > Amerce wrote: > > ShowWindow (SW_HIDE); ... > > I used this....But the dialog was not hide..... use: ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) at OnPaint event c_programming22@yahoo.com wrote: > Sanju =C3=D1=D3=E1=CA: > > Amerce wrote: > > > ShowWindow (SW_HIDE); ... > > > > I used this....But the dialog was not hide..... >=20 > use: > ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) > at O...

WISHLIST: new over old, boot format, compress/copy hidden
I'm wondering where we suggest things we'd like in future Windows? I wish when you overwrite files, that you can have a feature/option which saves the newer version. I'm upset I can't format a boot disk on USB. I've often gtten in trouble because I copoed or compressed something and hidden files didn't come along. Sometimes on the same disk. - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Ev...