Default Workgroup Information File

What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard?

"I want to make this my default workgroup information file."
 &
"I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database."

Does one of these apply this security to all databases?  I noticed that it
applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop.  The
security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network
file.
--
julostarr
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"julostarr" wrote:

> What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard?
>
> "I want to make this my default workgroup information file."
>  &
> "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database."
>
> Does one of these apply this security to all databases?  I noticed that it
> applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop.  The
> security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network
> file.
> --
> julostarr

In a secured database, the workgroup file essentially tells the computer on
the security data (users, passwords etc.).  Actually it's more than this but
it gives you the idea.
Each secured database requires its own workgroup file.  It should be kept in
the same folder as your database.  If you are splitting for front end and
back end it should be on the server folder with the back end.
You want the workgroup file in the shortcut so that all persons attempting
to use the database receive a password challenge on opening.
The first means that the workgroup information file you created when securing
your database will be used as the default when you open Access, i.e. for any
database.

The second creates a shortcut which open the particular file using the
workgroup information file you created for it.  This is done by specifying
the workgroup information file in question in the shortcut's command line.
Other databases will use whatever is the default workgroup information file
(by default System.mdw).

The workgroup information file holds information on the users and groups.
It includes built in groups Admins and Users and a generic user account
Admin; when you open an unsecured database without logging in you are the
Admin user.  You add groups and user accounts to the workgroup information
file when implementing security.

The workgroup information file does not ' apply security' as such; that is
done within each database by assigning permissions to objects to users and
groups.  Its better to apply permissions to groups rather than individual
users and make users members of the groups as appropriate.

In a secured database by removing the Admin user from the Admins group and
creating a new user in that group only the new user has the irrevocable power
to administer database objects which all users of the Admins group enjoy.
Consequently the Admin user is only a member of the Users group.  By removing
all permissions from the Users group (to which all users belong) anyone
attempting to open a secured database as the default Admin user is barred
from doing anything.

So if  you have just one 'workgroup' using all your databases, i.e. the same
user and group structure is appropriate to them all, you could if you wished
make your new workgroup information file the default.  If you have more than
one workgroup, either including different groups and users or the same users
but with different group memberships, i.e. you've secured several databases
and created separate workgroup information files for each then go for the
second option and create a shortcut for each database on each authorised
user's desktop.  By specifying the appropriate workgroup information file in
the shortcut each will open using the correct one.  The second approach is
usually more appropriate as, unless the number of secured databases and the
overall user base is very small, different databases will almost certainly
have different user patterns and consequently different security requirements
in terms of users and groups.  As the default System.mdw file will be used
when any user opens Access directly or opens an unsecured database file
directly they will be able to do so without logging in but will not be able
to open any secured database as they will then be the Admin user to whom all
permissions are denied.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"julostarr" wrote:

> What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard?
>
> "I want to make this my default workgroup information file."
>  &
> "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database."
>
> Does one of these apply this security to all databases?  I noticed that it
> applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop.  The
> security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network
> file.
> --
> julostarr

Default Customer Checkbook ID does not default in Cash Receipts En
Hi! This is a weird situation and I can't seem to replicate it on my local install. My client and I are both on GP 8.0 g 44. I am accessing their GP via Terminal Server. On my local install, the checkbook on my Customer Card (Customer Account Maintenance) defaults in to the cash receipts entry window as soon as I select the Customer ID. However on my client nothing defaults in -- I made sure that there is a checkbook identified on the Customer Accounts Maintenance window. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks in advance. -- Marisol Mortera ...

How to transfer Outlook files to new user installation or file server?
I have created a new Windows XP account and I want to transfer the the Outlook email files from the old logins to the new login. I have copied the Outlook pst files from the old accounts folder to the new accounts folder, but when I open Outlook the mail contents are there but it seems that Outlook does not remember the old email account details. Is there a way to transfer the email accounts details as well? The previous email accounts are still there with the original mailboxes in the old logins, only the email account details not coming over. It appears that they are not stored with the...

importing oe6.0 files into outlook2003
I just purchased outlook 2003 and when I tried to load my old personal folders from outlook express I get this error: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is using this file, please close it and try again. The old personal folders are .dbx and I need to convert them to .pst. Has anyone come across this problem? On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:54:14 -0700, "matt" <matt_windermere@hotmail.com> wrote: >I just purchased outlook 2003 and when I tried to load my >old personal folders from outlook express I get this >error: > >The mail folder co...

Linking a .hlp file to my MFC Application
I have created a help system (.hlp file) for my mfc application using RoboHelp. I would like to call this help system from my application when I click on a button for example. I have tried to open the help system using: WinExec("MyApp.hlp",SW_SHOW"); but this does not do anything. Any idea ? TIA -- Fabrice >I have created a help system (.hlp file) for my mfc application using >RoboHelp. I would like to call this help system from my application when I >click on a button for example. I have tried to open the help system using: >WinExec("MyApp.hlp",SW_...

Viewing earlier files on Publisher 2000
I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous version but the message comes saying the files cannot be opened. If there is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help. Thanks, Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files with 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting an error message? Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894542/en-us -- Ma...

Information store stops unexpectedly with error 4182, 3039, 4116, 4094
We have exchange 5.5 with SP4 and we are recently experiencing this issue where the information store and IMS stops unexpectedly with the above Event IDs. I have tried the suggestions in the MS KB article 322829 but did not help much. I have also tried the mdbvu32.exe tool, but there are no bad messages in the folder. Any help with this is appreciated Thank you. I have had the same problem 4 times over the course of 10 days. After the second crash, I applied the hotfix from Q325939. 24 hours later, it crashed again. I opened a case with microsoft and they gave me another hotfix. It upgrade...

file does not open
Whenever I select an excel spreadsheet from a folder or disk, excel launches but the file never opens. I have done detect and repair, reinstalled and this still continues to happen. How do I fix it? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows Taskbar 2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. -- Regards Fra...

Excel file locked by user/process problem
Hi all, I need help! We have a shared Excel file on the network. The las person who worked on it on Saturday says he closed the file properl and everything was fine. However, today, Excel keeps saying that he' in it. I've asked him to reboot his computer. I've searched fo temporary files in the folder where the file resides. Still couldn' find anything. I tried deleting it with DOS and it still doesn't le me because it says "The file is in use." I don't care who's using i now. I just want to terminate the process and delete the file. I was going t...

File grows
Good morning. I have a spreadsheet which I use for today, then "Save As" for tomorrow, clear out all of the data that is not relevant, change the file name, and start over tomorrow. However, every time I do this, the file grows by 3 or 4 KB. After a couple of weeks, the file starts running slow, and I have to start over. The file should stay about the same size, but it doesn't. Any suggestions on what to check to see why this is happening? Thanks for any help. -- Howard Even though you are clearing unneeded data out of cells, Excel may still be retainin...

Shared .pst file for calendar sharing
Is there a way to share out a .pst file in Outlook XP? Our environment uses .pst files saved locally to store email. There is a salesman in our company that uses a PDA to synchronize changes made to his calendar on PDA to his laptop calendar in Outlook XP. The changes are saved to his .pst file. I need to give another user access to this calendar to be able to view and edit his schedule. Is this a possibility? You cannot share a PST file for multiple users at once. See here for some alternative options: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook M...

Get attribute from Xml file
I'm looking to get noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute from the following Xml file. Whats the most efficient way to do this using the XmlDocument class in c#? <?xml version="1.0"?> <IPDRDoc xmlns="http://www.ipdr.org/namespaces/ipdr" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="email.xsd" docId="d0af6d45-00f8-5000-f930-01760a250156" creationTime="2003-11-12T16:04:07.046Z" IPDRRecorderInfo="IPDRDocTest" version="3.1"> <IPDR xsi:type="IPDR-EMAIL-Type&q...

Rename Exchange Database file
Could anybody show me the safe way to rename exchange database file: priv1.edb to priv2.edb ? Thank you. I want to rename it because I was reading an article that says that I can have problem restoring exchange if the two databases .edb and .stm have the same name, backed up and restored at the same time. Thank you I would not bother about renaming them, and I cannot understand why you would have problems. -- Mark Fugatt "Thuan Pham" <thuanp@advancedcableties.com> wrote in message news:17a501c48c68$ed6f5380$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Could anybody show me the safe way t...

CRM default website
While installing CRM server, it can create a new website for CRM OR can use default web site. My organization has a websiteas www.xyz.com. If I provide this website while installing CRM server as a CRM website, will it add the CRM web pages to my organizations web site or will it replace the existing pages with CRM web sites pages? Please help. Thanks in advnce. -Imran Never tried this. However I would imagine that it would work with the issue that existing files might be overwritten if they have the same name as MSCRM files. For instance like default.aspx.... Not too sure why you w...

Chart data from text file
I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file. There are many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them all to Excel. Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data from a text file? On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file. There are >many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them >all to Excel. > >Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data fr...

Overwriting the AVI file header
Hi I need to overwrite the AVI File header since it is corrupted file so how can i do this with MFC Thanks in Advance You could open the file using CFile and write to it like you would any other file. So far as I know there is nothing specific in MFC to handle AVI file creation. I found this article that might help you: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Copy_a_period_of_AVI_chun.asp Tom <meettopravin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150366506.134444.80180@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I need to overwrite the AVI File header since it is corrupted file > s...

printing to file
I am attempting to convert only a portion of our Excel 2000 document to Adobe PDF format for secure viewing by outside parties. This however seems challenging to do when this component of the document is a hidden worksheet (due to shared use among many users) and is generated as a printable form through visual basic. Since I am able to view this printable form in "print preview" mode, can the "print preview - print to file" option be used to create a file type compatible for Adobe conversion? Or does the "print to file" function not allow that flexibi...

Compress Excel file after export
I have a database where the user clicks a button and it exports the 8 tables to an excel file. I've noticed that after the file is exported, the excel file is bloated, but if i open the excel file and resave it, the file size reduce by about half. Is there some VB code I could use to programmatically compress the excel file after export? Another solution would be for me to export the tables to a csv file, but after the export, I want the users to email the file to me and I don't want them to have to attach 8 csv files to an email. But if there was a way to zip the 8 files together ...

Sizes for OST files different for same mailbox?
I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer = most questions. However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about = a third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though = there doesn't appear to be any data missing. Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic = explanation? carl Was the ost on the laptop created after the desktop? As items are deleted from the mailbox, the mailbox may shrink by not necessarily the ost. On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:32:17 -0800, "Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san....

Fixing the backwards default formatting of a date
I entered a date into Excel (2001) in the proper month-day format and not only did Excel decide on its own to reformat this cell it created a string using the incorrect order for the date and month. In my example after I typed "5/16" Excel decided to change it to "16-Mar". I did not want it formatted, and I certainly didn't want it formatted in that obnoxious manner. I went into Format-->Cells and the date format option list didn't seem to have anything for just <month>-<day>. The only available option was to include the year as well. Aside from ...

Default cash account in customer cash receipt trx
We're having trouble with a setup - specifically, we can't get the cash account to default into the Trx/Sales/Cash Receipts distribution. The checkbook comes in and it's setup has a cash account. The Customer Card Accounts window says get cash account from checkbook. Are we missing some dumb thing ? Thanks. I don't understand the question. Can you clarify? Are you making a distinction between the checkbook and the cash account? "JoeWest" <JoeWest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9ECA101C-5ED0-45DB-B4DB-801827ADD5B8@microsoft.com... >...

Autopopulate form information
Huummm... I’m not sure I spelled this out well in the subject header. What I'm attempting to do is this: I've created a form using multiple tabs. The database I created is designed to keep track of multiple nationwide office projects. On the opening page or tab a user can select from 3 drop-down menus: Region, Location or Project type. Once a user selects from any of the 3 menus it will forward them to the corresponding tab on the form, i.e., if the user selects from the drop-down menu "projects" the action taken automatically will be to open the tab section labeled "pro...

CreateFileMapping()
CreateFileMapping() - still succeeded without a system Page File? I configured my computer so that no harddisk drive has a page file. The strange thing is: when I call CreateFileMapping() to create an MMF object backed by the system paging file, the API still succeeds. My codes: HANDLE hFileMap = CreateFileMapping(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, 64 * 1024, _T("MySharedData")); How can this happen? Thanks. ...

can't open mny2005 file in MSmoney2008
I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem. I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc. I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version. We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the mny files. We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to convert them to the MNY2005 version). As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN. Knowing there is a built-i...

IS PST files Auto compact
I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file size reduce by itself atually before compacting. antonia_jasper@yahoo.com <antonia_jasper@yahoo.com> wrote: > I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of > outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. > > when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file > size reduce by itself atually before compacting. According to Micr...

How to convert make file to DOS batch file ?
Hi, HOw do I convert make file exported from MSVC 6.0 for MFC Active X project to equivalent DOS bacth file running on Win 2000 Help Are there any tools available. sandSpiderX Hello I'm not sure I understood what you did, however, try the following: In the batch file, do the following: 1. Call vcvars32.bat to set the env. path 2. Run nmake (which will read the make file and compile your project) HTH Elias "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120713452.154363.5200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > HOw do I convert make fil...