Database Size

I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show over
200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that still
seems excessive.  Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might have
caused it?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Why do you say this is excessive?
What is being stored in your database (text entries only, images, other)?
What version of Access are you working with?
Is your db split?  If so, what is growing the front-end or the back-end?

Below is a good link regarding database bloating:
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/bloatfe.htm
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

"Erika" <Erika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show
> over
> 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that
> still
> seems excessive.  Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might
> have
> caused it?

Please provide some details about your database. Any design changes
recently? Information such as number of tables, # of rows in each, fields
and field datatypes will allow responders to offer you intelligent advice
and opinions. Without more information, anything you'll get will be a WAG.

0
PvdG42
2/23/2010 3:24:15 PM
Don't worry. Be Happy.

An Access database file can be up to 2 GB in size.  Access doesn't act like
a balloon when you remove records. It keeps its size. It's more like a paper
bag that needs refolding. That's what compact and repair does in a sense.

There are many things that can cause bloat. Access needs some internal space
to do things like sorting records in queries and reports. This is normal. If
you run your database for a while, then the size may well creep back up.

Don't do Compact on Close. If the database needs the internal space to run,
you're just fighting a losing battle and there is always the chance that
something can go badly wrong when doing the compacting.

Now there are some things that can be prevented. If your app is using
temporary tables to move data around, this can cause bloat especially if you
are creating and deleting tables. If your database isn't properly normalized
and you need very complex queries and/or queries based on other queries, this
can also cause bloat.

Storing graphics inside Access will fill it up fast although Access 2007 is
much better about this.

Do a manual compact and repair about once a month. Keep an eye on things to
make sure it doesn't start bloating above 1.5 GB. Otherwise see the first
line of my post.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Erika" wrote:

> I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show over
> 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that still
> seems excessive.  Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might have
> caused it?
Erica

In addition to the other excellent advice you've received elsethread, I've
sometimes noticed that compact & repair doesn't clear out all of the unused
space.

If, after considering the other points folks have made, you still feel that
your db is too large, you could:

1.  create a new empty db.
2.  import all the objects from the 'too-big' one.
3.  set all the startup/other conditions/settings.
4.  do a re-compile.
5.  backup, then compact/repair the new one.  Is it smaller?

This is a common sequence when there's something subtle corrupting a db.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Erika" <Erika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show
>over
> 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that
> still
> seems excessive.  Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might
> have
> caused it?

0
Jeff
2/23/2010 3:56:13 PM
"Erika" <Erika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show
> over
> 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that
> still
> seems excessive.  Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might
> have
> caused it?

The "might have caused this" is normal, especially if you are desigining
forms etc. The compact + repair is thus going to be used quite often during
the day if you modifying and working on the application as opposed to just
"using" the application to enter data.

Another real source of bloat is using background images in your forms.

I have a application with 160 forms, about 120 reports, and more then
30,000+ lines of VBA code. This application also has 55 5 highly related
tables.

Without data (it is split), the whole application is less then 10 megs in
size.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
2/23/2010 4:49:56 PM
Access just isn't as efficient as storage as SQL Server is.

with 'auto_shrink' defaulting to on for SQL Server Express-- it's just
pointless to use Jet for anything

Access Data Projects would mean that you'd never have to worry about
this!

On Feb 23, 8:49=A0am, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> "Erika" <Er...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show
> > over
> > 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that
> > still
> > seems excessive. =A0Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what migh=
> > have
> > caused it?
>
> The "might have caused this" is normal, especially if you are desigining
> forms etc. The compact + repair is thus going to be used quite often duri=
ng
> the day if you modifying and working on the application as opposed to jus=
> "using" the application to enter data.
>
> Another real source of bloat is using background images in your forms.
>
> I have a application with 160 forms, about 120 reports, and more then
> 30,000+ lines of VBA code. This application also has 55 5 highly related
> tables.
>
> Without data (it is split), the whole application is less then 10 megs in
> size.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal =A0 =A0(Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com> wrote in
message
> Access just isn't as efficient as storage as SQL Server is.
>
> with 'auto_shrink' defaulting to on for SQL Server Express-- it's just
> pointless to use Jet for anything
>
> Access Data Projects would mean that you'd never have to worry about
> this!

Yes, you most certainly would have to worry about this. If you bothered to
read my post, I was talking about the application. That application has no
data in it (in fact, it is an application that uses sql server).

Using sql server does not change nor effect this bloating problem of
graphics on forms, or the need to frequently compact your application during
development.

In my example, I am using sql server..and it changes ZERO, I repeat ZERO of
what was stated....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

0
Albert
2/23/2010 7:38:08 PM
"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com>
wrote in
m:

[nothing worth reading]

Just get out of jail, Aaron? Or did your parole come to an end?

David
2/23/2010 10:17:58 PM
are you kidding me?

how is it that ADP doesn't solve the bloating problem out of the box?

On Feb 23, 11:38=A0am, "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com> wrote:
> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote=
 in
> messagenews:94437003-9d4a-49c8-840d-234d763637da@b36g2000pri.googlegroups=
..com...

> > Access just isn't as efficient as storage as SQL Server is.
>
> > with 'auto_shrink' defaulting to on for SQL Server Express-- it's just
> > pointless to use Jet for anything
>
> > Access Data Projects would mean that you'd never have to worry about
> > this!
>
> Yes, you most certainly would have to worry about this. If you bothered t=
> read my post, I was talking about the application. That application has n=
> data in it (in fact, it is an application that uses sql server).
>
> Using sql server does not change nor effect this bloating problem of
> graphics on forms, or the need to frequently compact your application dur=
ing
> development.
>
> In my example, I am using sql server..and it changes ZERO, I repeat ZERO =
of
> what was stated....
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal =A0 =A0(Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com

David;

I was never in jail, never convicted, never on parole.

nice try.

Are you still playing with baby-sized databases that blow up when they
hit 10mb?

And insisting that people still use Access 97?

And insisting that replication is available in Access 2007 (format)?

-Aaron

wrote:

>I was never in jail, never convicted, never on parole.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm   Search Case Records >> Name
Search .>> Accept >>  key in someone's name.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

On Feb 23, 8:49 am, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> "Erika" <Er...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I have a database that has jumped in size drastically - properties show
> > over
> > 200 mg - did a compact and repair and it got it down to 74 meg but that
> > still
> > seems excessive. Any ideas on how to correct this issue or what might
> > have
> > caused it?
>
> The "might have caused this" is normal, especially if you are desigining
> forms etc. The compact + repair is thus going to be used quite often
> during
> the day if you modifying and working on the application as opposed to just
> "using" the application to enter data.
>
> Another real source of bloat is using background images in your forms.
>
> I have a application with 160 forms, about 120 reports, and more then
> 30,000+ lines of VBA code. This application also has 55 5 highly related
> tables.
>
> Without data (it is split), the whole application is less then 10 megs in
> size.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com

0
De

What size should a short be when viewed from the debugger
Hi, I have some code that uses a dictionary containing shorts as the values stored in the keys. As an example: Dictionary<string, short> shortMap = new Dictionary<string, short>(); shortMap.Add("first", (short)0xef43); When I look at the contents of this dictionary in the debugger, I see "0xffffef43" instead of "0xef43". Why is this? This is making me think that the system is looking at a 32 bit quantity rather than a 16 bit. Thanks, Andy Are you sure you don't run previously compiled code. 0xef43 can't be converted to ...

Cannot set client area to desired size with MoveWindow
Hi: I have a dialg box (no menu bar) and I would like to set the client area to a specific size to display picture. I call MoveWindow(x,y,cx,cy) from the OnInitDialog(). cx is set to the sum of the desired client area width + 2*GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSIZEFRAME) + GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXHSCROLL) cy is set to the sum of the desired client area height + 2*GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSIZEFRAME) + GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYCAPTION) + GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXVSCROLL). However, when I check the size of the client area by calling GetClientArea() after MoveWindow(), it seems that the client area always in...

File size larger than expected
My relatively small shared workbook seems to have grown to 11MG overnight. I have tried to delete the unused rows and columns but keep getting an error about too much data. Is there anyway to set the last row/column or cell without deleting these? Maybe you can delete smaller chunks of rows and columns and do it multiple times. Debra Dalgleish once asked a user who complained about the size of a workbook growing too fast: Do you copy from the web and paste into your workbook. (Paraphrased). Her thought was that maybe you were copying shapes/pictures/objects and pasting them, too. ca...

How do you change the size of the Excel worksheet name tabs?
In the future, would you please place your message in the body of the post instead of just using the subject line. As to your question, check out this old post: http://tinyurl.com/burl7 -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Buddy" <Buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E365358-6821-43C2-8421-019310B16F58@microsoft.com... > "Buddy" <Buddy...

Window sizing
it In GP10 is there a way to size a window and they keep that size the next time it is opened? For example I open the cash receipts apply window 30 times a day. And each time I have to size to fit the screen. What am I missing? John Trax John, You would need to either write some VBA to have the window open Maximized or you can use modifier to reset the window size. If you use Modifier to reset the window size you will need to manually resize the fields though so it would end up being tedious. -- Lorren Consulting Technology Lead WennSoft Inc. The views or opinions expressed in th...

Is there maximum library size for WMP 11?
I've just added 3 albums to huge library of CD's and WMP 11 wont add them Tried adding folder seperately but no joy Is there maximum library size for WMP 11 For anyone struggling to add album to the library i found cure Click "Folder" Icon in left hand pane > from there you can navigate directly to the album/folder and force it to 'find album info' "JethroUK´┐Ż" <reply@the.board> wrote in message news:OWVPEn7kKHA.4500@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I've just added 3 albums to huge library of CD's and WMP 11 wont add the...

Create database based on 24 hour time; 15 minute increments
I need to set up a MS Access Database that stores test data that was performed at certain times (rounded to the nearest 15 minutes). I need to produce a query that shows each 15 minute interval within a 24 hour period. Any 15 minute increment that doesn't have test data needs to be represented by a -1. Any suggestions on how to do this? If you first create a table which has one row for every 15 minute interval over a suitable period you can then LEFT JOIN this to your table of test results to return a row for every time regardless of whether there is test data for that time....

Linking CRM/SQL Server to External Database
I am looking for information of someone to talk to about how to "link" data from an external non-SQL Server d/b to the CRM SQL Server d/b. In our case we need to link our Oracle ERP database to SQL server (CRM database) as it contains about half of the info we need in our CRM. We can obviously create an interface between the two db's and "load" the data periodically but what I would rather do is use ODBC to map / connect the data in the Oracle db to the schema in CRM/SQL server so we don't have duplicate data (I would really prefer to have the Oracle be ou...

Is there a size limit for putting a excel webpage online?
I took a large spreadsheet with an autofilter in place and created a webpage from it, but have never been able to get it to work after putting it online. Where can I help on this subject? I sent it to someone else who sd he would try something and he sd it was too big for frontpage. I put all my CDs in software to get info on them then exported to a txt file, then put that in excel and tweeked it and put in the filter. It's around 3450 rows long (to give some reference) Thanks, Pull ...

Console based jet database access...
Greetings - I am trying to work out just how to connect to a jet database (*.mdb) from a console application. I've tested a few methods via MFC in a dialog-based app, but now I need something which will do this on the command line with switches, etc. The switches and command-line arguments aren't the problem, and I've even got some classes ready to go (on paper)... Something like: "C:\> myprogram.exe "somedatabase.mdb" -searchstring "customername" Pretty simple, but once I learn the methods, then I can expand on that concept. We have quite a few la...

Chart PageSetup Size Speed VBA
Hi folks, I am completing an Excel VBA project that creates custom chart sizes from a Library of existing pre-formatted charts by using the Move or Copy Sheet method from the Library file to the current "datafile" (two separate files. No problems so far. I am sizing for PPT and various sizes for Word. Two word sizes require me to reset the Margins to make the page big enough for me to fit a ChartArea on it at the correct size (measured in Points that are translated from Inches). This all works but the following function for re-sizing slows me down in the following code Public F...

HELP: Trouble Configuring Offline Database!
Hi all ~ I'm having trouble setting up the offline database after following the steps in the Knowledge Base article 836403. The error message is "error 2147467259 "Cannot open database ... login failed". Two questions. Is the server (local) or the server name the machine name? In my case the machine name is grab-01. I've tried it as \\grab-01 and local, but not (local). What's the value of the server name? What password do I used for the newly created database? I've tried the password from the POS database and that doesn't seem to work. Any help we ...

where can i get an order tracking database
I used to use Office XP but have upgraded to office 2007. Where can i get an order tracking database template from, which is similar to the one that came with office XP On Jul 4, 8:38 pm, Envisage <Envis...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I used to use Office XP but have upgraded to office 2007. Where can i get an > order tracking database template from, which is similar to the one that came > with office XP can't you just open the XP one in 2007 and go from there? Either that or try the MS site. Or google for one if that doesn't meet your needs... ...

Setup was unable to create the Microsoft CRM databases.
CRM = Windows 2003 Server SQL 2000 = Windows 2003 Server Exchange 2003 = Windows 2000 Server Trying to do a new install, no databases currently exist. Right after I begin installation, it "quickly" pops up a window saying: "Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to create the Microsoft CRM databases." Logged in as domain\admin, can ping the sql box, etc... Any suggestions? ...

Database 11-25-07
I created a database for an archery tournament and I would like to assign people to a team and have the scores add together automatically for a combined total. My problem is some people may be on more than one team and their individual score needs to be used on multiple teams. Is there a way to do this? I would need to be able to assign more than one team number to a person. "Dave" <isaa@wctatel.net> wrote in message news:EC25FE68-8CAA-472E-8EA2-099357844D1B@microsoft.com... >I created a database for an archery tournament and I would like to assign > people to a te...

offline defrag did not reduce STM database size
Exchange 2003 Mailstore archiving all inbound/outbound messages into a custom MailArchiver mailbox. Offline defrag reduced EDB size (from 7Gb to 1.8Gb) but STM size stayed the same at 110Gb. There're only MAPI clients using this store, and no Mac Entourage clients. Reported from the Store are MailArchiver 25 items / 287 Kbytes System Mailbox 402 items / 363 Kbytes i.e. the target MailArchiver is reported with 287Kbytes, so where is the discrepancy between this size and 110Gb? Resetting "Deletion settings" on Limits tab to zero value for both "Keep deleted items for ...

Exchange 2000 mailbox size
I have a user who will soon reach 2gb mailbox. We user exchange 2000 enterprise and Outlook 2003. Are there any limitations that we should impose? Is there a limit for exchange mailbox size? Also if he is using cached mode in outlook does that have any limitations? -- George On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:24:01 -0700, George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a user who will soon reach 2gb mailbox. We user exchange 2000 >enterprise and Outlook 2003. Are there any limitations that we should impose? >Is there a limit for exchange mailbox size? Also if he is using ca...

Database similarity
I need to lookup a value based on a looked up value. Can this be done in Excel? Example cell contents (range P1:R5) [I hope this is readable]- =0 ="" ="" =IF(Q2=Q1,P1,P1+1)[result is 1] ABC Hello =IF(Q3=Q2,P2,P2+1)[result is 1] ABC Goodbye =IF(Q4=Q3,P3,P3+1)[result is 2] XYZ Jump =IF(Q5=Q4,P4,P4+1)[result is 2] XYZ Sit Second range (Y1:Y2) also defined name PickListOne =VLOOKUP(ROW(),$Q$2:$R$5,2,0)[Result is ABC] =VLOOKUP(ROW(),$Q$2:$R$5,2,0)[Result is XYZ] Pick Lists: a1: Validation Allow=List, =PickListOne [This lets me choose betw...

Cleaning up the databases 11-12-09
Hello all you Project Gurus out there... Thank your for taking the time to read my post, this community is always so helpful!... I just have a question about manually cleaning up rogue database entries. What I mean by 'rogue' may be slightly off from the traditional definition... I've noticed if a user creates a timesheet line and deletes it, data analysis never loses that timesheet line. DA does not report the line directly, but if you use the checkboxes from the "Task" field's drop-down list, all the previously deleted task names still show up. Si...

rename Exchange 2003 database files?
Exchange 2003 + SP1 on 2-node A/A cluster. We originally created 8 databases, 4 on each node, to balance the number of mailboxes. We named the databases based on the first letters of the users' last names: "AthruC", "DthruG", "HthruK", "LthruN", etc. We have now had to move the "M" and "N" mailboxes to another database to re-balance the number of mailboxes on each server. We'd like to rename the databases to be more generic, but haven't found a way to do it. I can't find anything on the MS Knowledgebase either. Can an...

Cannot select paper size in MS word
I have a problem with MS word when I am working offline from the office network. I do not have the selection to choose which paper size I want to use. But when I plug back into the office network all the selection will return. Is there any setting that can resolve this as other users do not have this issue. The paper sizes you can set are determined by the current printer driver. Ensure that the printer driver is installed locally on your laptop. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> G...

Database Unit Testing Comparison?
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes... I have a Visual Studio 2008 GDR Database Unit Test (Data Dude) with some TSQL that calls a sproc. I then have a single select statement that produces a 1-row result set with 2 columns. I want to pass the test if the values are equal and fail if it is not equal. I do not understand how to config/code this, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. > I have a Visual Studio 2008 GDR Database Unit Test (Data Dude) with > some TSQL that calls a sproc. I then have a single select statement > that produce...

2008: importing 2004 rules + database daemon
I just read further troubling news on Macfixit. They report that Entourage 2008 does not import Entourage 2004 Rules. I have probably over 100 rules, that is a major problem. Can anyone confirm this? Also, it appears there is no way to disable the Office notifications in 2008. Is this true? I hope MS will address these problems. I'd like to upgrade for the speed on my intel laptop, but so far it seems there are just too many problems. -- --Loren On 3/14/08 5:11 PM, in article 140320082011095607%loren@nonono2spam.com, "Loren" <loren@nonono2spam.com> wrote: > I ...

Concern with SQL database size
Hi, Since we are only allowed to disable users, business units, teams and etc from MSCRM database, what will happen to the SQL database size at the end of the day? Is there any house keeping meachanism to pervent database from oversize? Thanks for helping. Over time the database will continue to grow as a CRM solution will keep adding data daily. Over time I expect to see an archive feature but this may not appear for a few more versions. Becuase if this you should always specifiy way more data storage than you need for SQL. of course determining the amount of storage needed is an art in ...

Access database
I saved my database to a floppy when I had to do a quick restore on my computer. When I attempt to use the database from the floppy I cannot open "Maintain Data." I get a message "There was an error executing the command." I can open the other options, such as print labels, reports, etc. This is my only copy of the database and I am desplerately hoping there is a way I can restore this floppy. I did attempt to copy it to the hard drive but get the same results. Thanks for any help. ...