Data type on import wizard not active

 Hi there,

Hopefully, someone can help me with this.

I'm using the importing an excel 2003 into access 2003.

Using the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. everything is
fine until i get to the field options: dialog box.  The Data type drop down
isn't active.
What can i do to make this drop down option active.

Thanks for your help
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252

There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical Support
for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix
package:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365

There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. Description of
the Access 2003 hotfix package:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Hopefully, someone can help me with this.
>
> I'm using the importing an excel 2003 into access 2003.
>
> Using the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. everything
> is
> fine until i get to the field options: dialog box.  The Data type drop
> down
> isn't active.
> What can i do to make this drop down option active.
>
> Thanks for your help

0
Ken
2/21/2008 4:38:55 AM
Ken,
I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in A2000
file format with all
service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know that
I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot fixes.
The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
check this out please.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252
>
> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
> Support
> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
> hotfix
> package:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365
>
> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. Description
> of
> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>
> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Hopefully, someone can help me with this.
>>
>> I'm using the importing an excel 2003 into access 2003.
>>
>> Using the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. everything
>> is
>> fine until i get to the field options: dialog box.  The Data type drop
>> down
>> isn't active.
>> What can i do to make this drop down option active.
>>
>> Thanks for your help

0
Jeanette
2/21/2008 6:03:25 AM
Ken,
I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the same
behavior.
It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is permanently
disabled in A2003. What have other people found?

Jeanette Cunningham

"Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ken,
> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in
> A2000 file format with all
> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know
> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot
> fixes.
> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
> check this out please.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
>> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252
>>
>> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
>> Support
>> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
>> hotfix
>> package:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365
>>
>> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. Description
>> of
>> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003
>>
>> --
>>
>>        Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>
>> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Hopefully, someone can help me with this.
>>>
>>> I'm using the importing an excel 2003 into access 2003.
>>>
>>> Using the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. everything
>>> is
>>> fine until i get to the field options: dialog box.  The Data type drop
>>> down
>>> isn't active.
>>> What can i do to make this drop down option active.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help

0
Jeanette
2/21/2008 7:14:22 AM
A2003, SP2: Data Type is disabled also

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Ken,
> I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the same
> behavior.
> It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is permanently
> disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ken,
> > I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in
> > A2000 file format with all
> > service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know
> > that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot
> > fixes.
> > The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
> > check this out please.
> >
> > Jeanette Cunningham
> >
> > "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
> >> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252
> >>
> >> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
> >> Support
> >> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
> >> hotfix
> >> package:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365
> >>
> >> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. Description
> >> of
> >> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>        Ken Snell
> >> <MS ACCESS MVP>
> >>
> >> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or SP3 for
ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the situation.
This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I installed the hotfix.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

> Ken,
> I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the
> same behavior.
> It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is
> permanently disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ken,
>> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in
>> A2000 file format with all
>> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know
>> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot
>> fixes.
>> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
>> check this out please.
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>
>> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
>>> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252
>>>
>>> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
>>> Support
>>> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
>>> hotfix
>>> package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365
>>>
>>> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue.
>>> Description
>>> of
>>> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>        Ken Snell
>>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>>
>>> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ken
2/22/2008 1:14:44 AM
Ken,
I did apply the hotfix and this is what I find - that drop down in the
wizard is availabe when importing from text files, but no if importing excel
files.
Maybe this is normal?

>I don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or SP3 for
>ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the
>situation. This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I installed
>the hotfix.
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ken,
>> I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the
>> same behavior.
>> It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is
>> permanently disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>

>> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Ken,
>>> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in
>>> A2000 file format with all
>>> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know
>>> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot
>>> fixes.
>>> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
>>> check this out please.
>>>
>>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>>
>>> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message

0
Jeanette
2/22/2008 2:23:37 AM
Sorry - I misread the poster's original question.

Only ACCESS 2007 allows you to select the data type when importing an EXCEL
spreadsheet. The earlier versions do not allow this.

The hotfix fixes the problem where you can not change the Field Name for the
second and subsequent fields when importing an EXCEL spreadsheet.

So you are correct, this data type option is not available in ACCESS 2003.
And there is not a way to make it active.

(My excuse is too many work hours in past few weeks.... thanks for prompting
me to review my answer!)

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

> Ken,
> I did apply the hotfix and this is what I find - that drop down in the
> wizard is availabe when importing from text files, but no if importing
> excel files.
> Maybe this is normal?
>
> Jeanette Cunningham

0
Ken
2/22/2008 9:43:44 PM
Thanks,
now we are up to date with this issue.
It is confusing when the wizard does show the field data type greyed out -
makes people think there is something wrong.

> Sorry - I misread the poster's original question.
>
> Only ACCESS 2007 allows you to select the data type when importing an
> EXCEL spreadsheet. The earlier versions do not allow this.
>
> The hotfix fixes the problem where you can not change the Field Name for
> the second and subsequent fields when importing an EXCEL spreadsheet.
>
> So you are correct, this data type option is not available in ACCESS 2003.
> And there is not a way to make it active.
>
> (My excuse is too many work hours in past few weeks.... thanks for
> prompting me to review my answer!)
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ken,
>> I did apply the hotfix and this is what I find - that drop down in the
>> wizard is availabe when importing from text files, but no if importing
>> excel files.
>> Maybe this is normal?
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham

0
Jeanette

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C876CB.04C1D670

I don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or SP3 =
for=20
ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the =
situation.=20
This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I installed the =
hotfix.

--=20

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
> Ken,
> I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the =

> same behavior.
> It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is=20
> permanently disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =

>> Ken,
>> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running =
in=20
>> A2000 file format with all
>> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I =
know=20
>> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot=20
>> fixes.
>> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could =
you=20
>> check this out please.
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>
>> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
>>> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described =
in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;875252
>>>
>>> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
>>> Support
>>> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
>>> hotfix
>>> package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3DKB;EN-US;841365
>>>
>>> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue.=20
>>> Description
>>> of
>>> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;837003
>>>
>>> --=20
>>>
>>>        Ken Snell
>>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>>
>>> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C876CB.04C1D670

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16608" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">I don't believe that the hotfix was =
specifically=20
included in SP2 or SP3 for <BR>ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it =
and see=20
if it helps the situation. <BR>This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS =
2003=20
since I installed the hotfix.<BR><BR>--=20
<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ken Snell<BR>&lt;MS =
ACCESS=20
MVP&gt;<BR><BR><BR>"Jeanette Cunningham" =
&lt;nnn@discussions.microsoft.com&gt;=20
wrote in message =
<BR>news:%231DPllFdIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;=20
Ken,<BR>&gt; I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 =
and got=20
the <BR>&gt; same behavior.<BR>&gt; It seems to me that the data type =
dropdwon=20
part of the wizard is <BR>&gt; permanently disabled in A2003. What have =
other=20
people found?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Jeanette =
Cunningham<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
"Jeanette Cunningham" &lt;nnn@discussions.microsoft.com&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<BR>&gt; news:%23R6j49EdIHA.5900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
Ken,<BR>&gt;&gt; I checked today in my version of access - a =
database&nbsp;=20
A2003 running in <BR>&gt;&gt; A2000 file format with all<BR>&gt;&gt; =
service=20
packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know =
<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot=20
<BR>&gt;&gt; fixes.<BR>&gt;&gt; The same issue is there. The data type =
dropdown=20
is greyed out. Could you <BR>&gt;&gt; check this out=20
please.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Jeanette =
Cunningham<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; "Ken=20
Snell (MVP)" &lt;kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl&gt; wrote in=20
message<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
news:OYeAvOEdIHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; This is a =
known=20
issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;875252<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft=20
Technical<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Support<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; for this problem. =
Description=20
of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
hotfix<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
package:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3DKB;EN-US;841365<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. =
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
Description<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; of<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; the Access 2003 hotfix=20
package:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;837003<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
-- =
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
Ken Snell<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;MS ACCESS =
MVP&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
"umpire_43" &lt;umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com&gt; wrote in=20
message<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
;&gt;=20
Hi there,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Hopefully, someone can =
help me=20
with this.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm using the =
importing an=20
excel 2003 into access 2003.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
Using the=20
import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =

everything<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; fine until i get =
to the=20
field options: dialog box.&nbsp; The Data type drop<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
down<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; isn't active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What can i do =
to make=20
this drop down option active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
Thanks for=20
your=20
help<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<=
BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
<BR><BR></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C876CB.04C1D670--

0
Marcia

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C876CB.11010FA0

wrote in message =
> [...]
help me=20
with this.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm using the =
importing an=20
excel 2003 into access 2003.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
Using the=20
import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =

everything<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; fine until i get =
to the=20
field options: dialog box.&nbsp; The Data type drop<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
down<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; isn't active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What can i do =
to make=20
this drop down option active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
Thanks for=20
your=20
help<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<=
<BR><BR></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C87FAC.D637C220

  "Marcia Bunn" <marcia@live.ccom> wrote in message =
  I don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or =
SP3 for=20
  ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the =
situation.=20
  This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I installed the =
hotfix.

  --=20

          Ken Snell
  <MS ACCESS MVP>

  "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =

  > Ken,
  > I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got =
the=20
  > same behavior.
  > It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is=20
  > permanently disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
  >
  > Jeanette Cunningham
  >

  > "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message=20
  >> Ken,
  >> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running =
in=20
  >> A2000 file format with all
  >> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I =
know=20
  >> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and =
hot=20
  >> fixes.
  >> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. =
Could you=20
  >> check this out please.
  >>
  >> Jeanette Cunningham
  >>
  >> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in =
message
  >>> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described =
in
  >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;875252
  >>>
  >>> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft =
Technical
  >>> Support
  >>> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack =
3
  >>> hotfix
  >>> package:
  >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3DKB;EN-US;841365
  >>>
  >>> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue.=20
  >>> Description
  >>> of
  >>> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
  >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;837003
  >>>
  >>> --=20
  >>>
  >>>        Ken Snell
  >>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
  >>>
  >>> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  >=20

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C87FAC.D637C220

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16608" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Marcia Bunn" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:marcia@live.ccom">marcia@live.ccom</A>&gt; wrote in =
message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:6A71723D-7544-4BEE-AA4E-EA43813B3B94@microsoft.com">news:6A7=
1723D-7544-4BEE-AA4E-EA43813B3B94@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or SP3 =
for=20
  <BR>ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the=20
  situation. <BR>This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I=20
  wrote in message =
<BR>news:%231DPllFdIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;=20
  Ken,<BR>&gt; I checked on my development machine which doesn't have =
SP3 and=20
  got the <BR>&gt; same behavior.<BR>&gt; It seems to me that the data =
type=20
  dropdwon part of the wizard is <BR>&gt; permanently disabled in A2003. =
What=20
  have other people found?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Jeanette=20
  Cunningham<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Jeanette Cunningham"=20
  &lt;nnn@discussions.microsoft.com&gt; wrote in message <BR>&gt;=20
  news:%23R6j49EdIHA.5900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;&gt; =
Ken,<BR>&gt;&gt; I=20
  checked today in my version of access - a database&nbsp; A2003 running =
in=20
  <BR>&gt;&gt; A2000 file format with all<BR>&gt;&gt; service packs and =
hotfixes=20
  applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know <BR>&gt;&gt; that I =
automatically=20
  download all the patches, service packs and hot <BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  fixes.<BR>&gt;&gt; The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is =
greyed=20
  out. Could you <BR>&gt;&gt; check this out =
please.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  Jeanette Cunningham<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; "Ken Snell (MVP)"=20
  &lt;kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl&gt; wrote in message<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  news:OYeAvOEdIHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; This is =
a known=20
  issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;875252<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft=20
  Technical<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Support<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; for this problem.=20
  Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  hotfix<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; package:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3DKB;EN-US;841365<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue. =
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Description<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; of<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; the Access 2003 hotfix=20
  package:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;837003<BR>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  -- =
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
  Ken Snell<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;MS ACCESS=20
  MVP&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "umpire_43"=20
  &lt;umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com&gt; wrote in =
message<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  =
;&gt;=20
  Hi there,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Hopefully, someone =
can help=20
  me with this.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm using the =
importing=20
  an excel 2003 into access =
2003.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Using=20
  the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. =
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  everything<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; fine until i get =
to the=20
  field options: dialog box.&nbsp; The Data type =
drop<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  down<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; isn't active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What can i =
do to=20
  make this drop down option =
active.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Thanks for your=20
  =
help<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<=
BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C87FAC.D637C220--

0
Marcia
3/6/2008 11:09:26 PM
Marcia,
the data type dropdown is available for importing text files, but not excel
files.
With importing excel files, excel automatically guesses the data type.
Sometimes it guesses wrong, but you can't change the data type in the import
wizard, you need to manipulate the spreadsheet first or manipulate the data
after it comes into access.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Marcia Bunn" <marcia@live.ccom> wrote in message
I don't believe that the hotfix was specifically included in SP2 or SP3 for
ACCESS 2003. You should try installing it and see if it helps the situation.
This feature is not disabled in my ACCESS 2003 since I installed the hotfix.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ken,
> I checked on my development machine which doesn't have SP3 and got the
> same behavior.
> It seems to me that the data type dropdwon part of the wizard is
> permanently disabled in A2003. What have other people found?
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ken,
>> I checked today in my version of access - a database  A2003 running in
>> A2000 file format with all
>> service packs and hotfixes applied. Help about specifies SP3 and I know
>> that I automatically download all the patches, service packs and hot
>> fixes.
>> The same issue is there. The data type dropdown is greyed out. Could you
>> check this out please.
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>
>> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
>>> This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252
>>>
>>> There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical
>>> Support
>>> for this problem. Description of the Access 2002 post-Service Pack 3
>>> hotfix
>>> package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841365
>>>
>>> There also is a HotFix for ACCESS 2003 SP1 for similar issue.
>>> Description
>>> of
>>> the Access 2003 hotfix package:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837003
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>        Ken Snell
>>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>>
>>> "umpire_43" <umpire43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Jeanette

Error displayed in summary section of report with no data
In an Access 2003 report which has a summary section which Sums a value in the detail section, when there is no data #Error appears at the Sum(myField) section. There is no sub reports on this report. How can the #Error text not be shown when their is no data? Robin9876 wrote: >In an Access 2003 report which has a summary section which Sums a >value in the detail section, when there is no data #Error appears at >the Sum(myField) section. There is no sub reports on this report. > >How can the #Error text not be shown when their is no data? Try using something like: =IIf(Re...

exporting data
What is the best way to export specific data to excel or .csv format? JayK, Create a report that has the info you wish to export, right click on the body of the report, Export | File | Comma Separated CSV and give it a name of the file. -- * "JayK" <JayK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7B82E63-4B8C-4B68-8A8B-EB36D0F1DCC4@microsoft.com... What is the best way to export specific data to excel or .csv format? From an existing Active Report is very simple. Just run the report and at the top of the report you should see an icon to the left of the one th...

Can data files for mailmerge be updated?
I have a 4 year old 3.5 disc with addresses that I update each year. Last year I updated using Windows 98, with Office maybe Publisher 2000. Now I am unable to access the info with my Windows XP and Publisher 2003. Is there a way to get to this data, edit it, and make labels in 2005? Thanks Robin from Alaska Copy the list to "My Data" folder in "My Documents." Is it a Publisher list? If it is a .mdb file, Publisher should read it. I think your problem is mainly the floppy disk. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews...

Problem with Import/Export
Hi, I have a problem with Outlook 2003. When I try to import or export to/from my PST file, I only get messages, contacts, appointments or tasks up to November 2003 - which is the date when I reformatted my computer and installed O2k3 (I imported my backup PST into Outlook 2003). I tried to repair the PST with scanpst.exe - but the problem persists. Any ideas on how to "remind" the file that it has newer items inside - will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks. This is rather a vague question. Importing and exporting are two different operations. I'm having a hard time unde...

How to Change Target Fields on Import
Hello, Can somebody help me, please. I am trying to import "leads" on CRM 3.0 but there are only 3 fields available and that is "Company Name", "Last Name" and "Topic". Is there any way to customize it based on our company's need. I want to change it to "Last Name","First Name", ... etc. Thanks. Please disregard this... my mistake. I already figured it out! "Maureen Millonado" wrote: > Hello, > > Can somebody help me, please. I am trying to import "leads" on CRM 3.0 > but there ...

Pivot table export data to table format
I have a pivot table with the row heading listed once for multiple crosstab line items. I need to use this data for a report that will list the row heading on each row for each cross tab line item. Is this possible? I have tried everything... nothing seems to work. You can't get the heading labels to repeat in the pivot table. You could copy the pivot table, and paste as values on a different sheet in the workbook. Then, fill the blank cells, and format the copy of the pivot table. There are instructions here for filling in the blank cells: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntr...

Data Import/Export
I have a worksheet that contains data exported from my Sybase database using an ODBC database query in Excel. One of the fields that is exported is an address field which can contain anywhere between 1 and 7 lines (separated by character returns). What I need is to extract the postcode from this field. In an ideal world it would be fixed to line 7 but its not an ideal world when it comes to our software. If the address only has 4 fields then the postcode will appear in line 4, if it has 6 fields then it will appear in line 6. I need to be able to extract this postcode, delete the rest of ...

Importing Outlook emails into an Access table
I know that I can import data from my Outlook inbox by going to File -> Get External Data -> Import -> Select Files Of Type Outlook() etc... using the wizard but can this be done systemically via VBA code similarly to transfer text. I actually need to import data from a group account at work. I have searched hi and low through the Newsgroups and web and have found nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to all in advance, Markco NEWSGROUPS wrote: > I know that I can import data from my Outlook inbox by going to File -> Get > External Data -> Import -...

important day today utilities of EXCEL
sir i want to know about practical utilities of excel.ialso want to know about automising specific tasks in school environment such as attendance,pupil's report. "wajeed" <wajeedcka@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:04cb01c53f66$4cfb7850$a601280a@phx.gbl... > sir > i want to know about practical utilities of excel.ialso > want to know about automising specific tasks in school > environment such as attendance,pupil's report. Here's a link where you can find templates for classroom management http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT063457401...

Routing Group Members no longer active
I have a routing group member that is non longer active (the server has been removed). But, the name of the server still exists within ESM. Is there anyway to remove this old record from Exchange? Thanks On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:19:32 -0800, "OptiStreams" <OptiStreams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a routing group member that is non longer active (the server has been >removed). But, the name of the server still exists within ESM. Is there >anyway to remove this old record from Exchange? Thanks By removed, you mean removed from AD? Try highlightin...

Why do my Office 2007 programs automatically copy my data?
A few days ago, Outlook, Word, Excel and OneNote started automatically and erroneously copying data from within the programs. For example, in Excel different cells will appear as "copied" even though I only selected them. Also when I exit Outlook, I am asked whether I want to keep the many data on the clipboard available to other programs. I have been running Office 2007 SP2 on Vista Home Basic SP2 without problems for several months. However I started actually using OneNote, which was already installed, at the same time as the onset of this problem. Copying items ca...

Data not showing in combo box
I have a database which uses a combo box with 2 columns, in Access 2007 I can see the information from both, in Access 2003 I can only see the data from column 2, if I go to the SQL query and run that I can see both so I know the data is there. Strangely if I try in Access 2000 I can see the data no problem, This database was designed originally in 2000 and has been running fine on all versions untill now so I am baffled - any suggestions so my colleague can use in 2003 would be much appreciated. I have tried on a 2nd machine with 2003 and still does not work. Sheila There was a bug...

Import CSV file into Project with Hard Returns
How do I import hard returns into MS Project? I have tried \r\n but that shows up as actual text instead of a line return within the notes column. I assume you are importing to the Notes field? If so, it should read everything between the double quotes denoting the string. -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "chazparks" <chazparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54511FC0-AC16-4A11-B8F8-858205CB1D55@microsoft.com... > How do I import hard returns into M...

import .pst file into entourage 2008 no access to pc
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel my pc just broke I have my outlook 2007 file saved in a .pst file, I don't have access to a pc, what I can do to import in entourage? <br> It seems that for mac office the compatibility is essential but not for all!!! On 4/7/10 6:53 PM, ladyelena@officeformac.com wrote: > just broke I have my outlook 2007 file saved in a .pst file, I don't > have access to a pc, what I can do to import in entourage? There are some third party option that can help with that. Check out the options on...

Data across different worksheets
How would I get data from the same cell across several different worksheets to be pulled it one summary worksheet. One way is shown in the "Summarizing Data from Different Sheets" section of this article: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ nelsquid wrote: > How would I get data from the same cell across several different worksheets > to be pulled it one summary worksheet. > > ...

Import subset of fields to Contacts
I wish to import a tab-delimited file consisting only of Last Name, Company and Categories into a complete data base in such a way as to replace those values but not all the other data. Last Name and Company are only included to index the Categories, but I can live with having those fields altered. Right now the task of importing without overwriting and then manually editing is intimidating. Perhaps in a text editor, using regular expressions? rs --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.809 / Virus Database: 55...

Importind data from several files
Hi, I need to import data from several files into a single worksheet every month. I wish I could do this in the most automatic way possible (I didn't want to repeat the import process for each file). Is this possible? Thanks Look into the Data, Consolidate feature. -- David Hager Excel MVP "Jo" <joana.fernandes@aceplus.pt> wrote in message news:2da2601c394d2$036f88b0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I need to import data from several files into a single > worksheet every month. I wish I could do this in the most > automatic way possible (I didn't w...

Disabling Multipart/report Internet message format content types
In E2K3, the multipart/report content type is defined for returning delivery status notifications that include optional messages. Exchange 2003 uses the Content-Type: multipart/report for a host of report types, including non-delivery reports (NDRs), delivery receipts, read receipts, delay notifications, relay notification, and non-read notifications. Is there a way to disable or customize these "optional" messages? For example, I may not want to receive the following message when I send a read receipt to an external user: "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status N...

Workflow : Wait activity condition does not work
I've created a very simple workflow that does not seem to work. The rule is: Manual Rule Task: Task 1 wait Task: Task 1 is completed end wait Task: Task 2 When I 'Save as completed' Task 1, Task 2 is not created. I find the following entry in the EVent Log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMWorkflowService Event Category: None Event ID: 16649 Date: 11/1/2007 Time: 1:42:25 PM User: N/A Computer: AMCI-CRMPROD Description: Condition {BF1490AE-A188-DC11-9C5C-00C09F1E9CAA} failed in step {BB1490AE-A188-DC11-9C5C-00C09F1E9CAA} of process instanc...

Importing function
Is there any way to get the procedure address using GetProcAddress which is exported by __declspec(dllexport) not as extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) . I don't want to use full decorated (e.g. GetProcAddress(hPluginDll, "?Initialize@@YAPAVTMyProtocol@@XZ") ) name while loading function. I don't want to statically link the my dll. The 'decorated' name is the name of the function. Why would you not want to use it? - Alan "Manish Agarwal" <manishkrishan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OhlkDADjDHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > >...

Specify format in source data
can you specify format information in the source data. for example coul you specify that a segment in a pie chart for sales of oranges shoul always be orange, apples green etc et -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In this post I show a macro that colors a series based on the series name. It would not be a major effort to base the color instead on the X value of a point. Of course, if the fruits are always in the same order, just keep using a copy of the same chart, or turn it into a custom chart type: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CreateCustomTypes.html - J...

PLS help:The MS outlook data location
HI, I have done this greate job and had my Win XP crashed. Now I do not have access to my e-mails and do not have a back up. Is there anything I could do to restore my e-mails through my new instance of win XP? I am really frustrated. Pls help... rgds, eqbal No i didn't. But after searching all my hard drive I found the file. tnx anyway. "Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook]" <patrickareed@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:OY4Mm2fVDHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Did you wipe out the hard drive when you reinstalled WIndows XP? If so, > there isn't anything you can...

Trace Dependents Type Functions Hushed
On Jan 7th at 8:33 PM I posted a question as follows (but received no help yet and fear it will be lost in antiquity so let me post it again): I received an EXCEL file from someone else and, when I open it, most of the functions on the auditing toolbar (trace dependents, etc) are all hushed for every cell. I thought that, maybe, the workbook or sheet was protected but it is not. What else could be prevenbting my access to these features? Thanks Tools>options>view and make sure the Objects have show all checked. If that doesn't help copy the sheet(s) to a new workbook.. ...

locking data values from links
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am working on a spreadsheet with links. A value is placed in the master sheet and is then linked back into the sub sheet. Everytime a value is placed in master sheet, the sub sheet is updated. However, Im trying to put a new column in the sub sheet, and make the master sheet update this new column. However I want the old column to have the last updated data before the new column was put in. How do i do this? and does anyone have ne VB codes to achieve this? -- ashcrusher ------------------------------------...

requery of data viewed on a subform
I've created a DB with a main form and on this form I have a tabbed box with subforms on each tab. No issues! I have a switchboard that allows a user to get to this main form and other forms to add specific data to tables. So far no issues. What I would like to do, as many will not "think ahead" to add the new records before they start updating the main form, is to allow them to double click a Name box on any subform (on any one of the tabs) to have an "Add form" open for that category. I was successful in creating that "double clikc" feature but ...