Data on Internet

Is it possible and practical to operate a database where the data is
held on the internet so that it can be accessed and modified by a
select few?
If so where should I start reading?
Would I nead any additional software, we are using Access 2000

Colin
0
Colin
2/15/2008 10:03:02 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

ms-access is not a web system. It does not have web development features,
and is complete the wrong product and technology to use for the web.

You would no more use an auto-Cad program to write games for computers then
you would use ms-access to try and create web based systems. They are simply
different horses for different courses.

On the other hand, deploying and allowing users to use your ms-access
application anywhere anytime from any location via the internet is a 100%
DIFFERENT question then that of creating a web site. So, don't confuse the
issue of deploying your application so that people on the road, working at
home etc, or virtually anyone with internet access can be setup to use your
application. So

So, keep in mind what your actual goal here is!!!

is your goal to make a web based system, if yes, you must use web based
development tools and ms-access is 100% OF NO USE!

On the other hand, if your goal is to allow users anywhere in the country to
be able to use your application, then you can most certainly adopt some
technologies that allow you to achieve that goal, even WHEN using ms-access.

I explain some possible solutions for remote use over the internet here:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal//Wan/Wans.html

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
2/15/2008 10:11:50 PM
"Colin" <Colin.Hamski@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible and practical to operate a database where the data is
> held on the internet so that it can be accessed and modified by a
> select few?
> If so where should I start reading?
> Would I nead any additional software, we are using Access 2000

If you were using Access 2002 or 2003 (which had improvements to Data Access
Pages over what was in Access 2000, and goodness knows it needed some) you
could take a look at that technology. It is not something I'd recommend you
upgrade to be able to use, because it has always been very limited and never
"caught on". It is "deprecated" in Access 2007 -- you can run DAPs created
with Access 2002 or 2003, but you can neither create a new one nor maintain
an existing DAP.

You can use the tables, data, and relationships of an MDB database (or, I
believe, the new Access 2007 ACCDB) on the web, provided you create an
appropriate user interface to it... Front Page 2002 or 2003 with the
Database Interaction Wizard can create _simple_ web-based database
applications, but _simple_ is the operative term.  Front Page has been
discontinued... it spawned two new applications, SharePoint Designer, for
use with Microsoft SharePoint, and Expression Web, for more general use.

As you'll find on Albert's site, you can possibly set up and use Microsoft
Terminal Services to remotely execute your Access user interface on the
server, provided you have Access installed on the server -- that's not
really "web-based" but you can access it via the web.

Finally, Microsoft's ActiveX Server Pages, .asp, or ASP.NET allow building a
web-based application, accessible from a browser, that can use data in an
Access MDB or ACCDB.

Now, if this seems that I am contradicting Albert, that's a wrong
impression -- Access itself is not a tool for creating web-based
applications; but, with appropriate tools to allow user interface, the
tables and data from MDB or ACCDB databases can be used in low-volume
applications.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry

add a data label
How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? I presume the Word chart has been created with MS Chart? If so Double-click to activate the edit mode for the chart, then choose Chart, Chart Options, Data Labels.. If the chart is an Excel Object then you use the same steps. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dragonfly" wrote: > How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? ...

Data Validation using List (But needs unique list in drop down lis
Hi all, In sheet 1, column A is my title name while column B is person name. Sheet 1 is my database where i do data entry in this. In sheet 2, contains my query page. In cell A5, i uses data validation - list, on this cell. Say in sheet 1 : column A column B XXXXXXX Mr A YYYYYYYY Mr A ZZZZZZZZ Mr A AAAAAAA Mr B WWWWW Mr C DDDDDDD Mr C But In sheet 2, cell A5, I saw in the drop down list as follows: Mr A Mr A Mr A Mr B Mr C Mr C But i want to see this in cell A5 instead (Unique name that is) : Mr A Mr B Mr C ...

Overwriting data
I have a macro set up to submit data from an entry point on one worksheet into a database on the other. Basically, I enter the info on the first worksheet, hit submit, and it transfers it to the second worksheet. My question is, how do i make it skip to the next line on the second worksheet so that it logs all the submits rather then overwriting the previous? Thanks! -- na This will get you to the cell just below the last populated cell of column A: Application.Goto Reference:="R65536C1" Selection.End(xlUp).Select Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select (You could get this row into a ...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Skip blank or N/A in data analysis
Hi, I try to do data analysis (such as regression) to two data columns X ~ Y. Under some condition, some of the Y values are blank or (#N/A). When I do X-Y chart, those points are ignored. However, when I select the same columns to do regress or any other data analysis, I got the error saying "Input range containing non-numeric data". I don't want to put any number like 0 for those to distort my result. I just want to ignore or skip those N/A data. Is there a way I can do it without removing those data? Because the N/A location depends on a variable (a condition). I ...

Prob. when viewing my XL graph thru internet...
Hi. A problem which may or may not be due to Excel: I have some files, protected and with some sheets hidden, which I am using to show graphs and data on the internet. I want the viewer to be able to copy off the data (so they are saved as .xls files. The problem is, when I view the file in internet explorer, the chart sheet in which the file is opened will have a different size (the chart expands to fill the whole screen). The other chart sheets are fine. ??? Also, #1 the chart toolbar appears (don't want or need it) and #2 when I hit Back, a prompt to save appears (unwanted, ...

Migrating data from ACT to CRM (how to get at act! data)
I intend on using the DMF to migrate data to CRM. The question I have is how do I get at the underlying database that ACT uses. I see the MS excel file for ACT has table and field mappings but I need to do some specialized SQL. I can't seem to figure out though how to get into the SQL database where the ACT information is stored. How do I log into that database? Thanks! -Elie From my days working with ACT, I thought the databse was built around Microsoft Access. If indeed the databas is SQL then you should be able to get your SQL DBA to grant you access to the SQL Database. -- Rgds...

Data Analysis Plus Add-In
My Data Analysis Plus add-in has disappeared. I had it installed at one time, but now it is gone. I've attempted to reinstall the add-in several times and rebooted each time, but to no avail. Running XP Pro and Office Pro software. Any ideas? Thanks, MJ You probably have done this but .... have you looked at Tools/Addins . there is a Browse button in case Excel cannot find it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do you replace old data with new data without creating a new .
I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. Hit the "Refresh Data" in the pivot table toolbar (looks like an exclamation point) -- Regards, Dave "Dena" wrote: > I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet > with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have > replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. So...

Move Data From Vertical to Horizontal
How do I get my speadsheet to move from vertical meaning: Name Type Hours Bob Regular 80.00 Bob OT 10.00 To look like this: Name Regular OT Bob 80.00 10.00 If anyone can help PLEASE comment. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can create a pivot table to summarize the data. There are some instructions and links here: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm For ...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Exporting global data from a DLL to an EXE
Hi, I have a "Win32 Application" and I must use some global data defined(and initialized) in a DLL linked to the Application. As suggested by MSDN,I have exported this global data from the DLL in this way: - In the DLL, I have used the keyword DLLEXPORT - In the EXE I have used the keyword DLLIMPORT But when I run the EXE the application crashes! The problem is that, in the EXE, the imported global data are all equal to zero and the application doesn't see the initializationsdone in the DLL! Does someone know where is the problem? Thanks to All. M Micheles, I don&#...

Import data from Money 2002 to Excel
Hi, I'd like to import some transactions history from Money 2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Thx. In microsoft.public.money, Nick wrote: >Hi, > >I'd like to import some transactions history from Money >2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Prepare a report in Money and right-click into it. You can copy and paste or choose Export.... For more sophisticated information access, search Google for Moneylink. ...

Data Entry
I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after you enter. I would like to go across the row instead of down the column. Is there any way to make that selection just for a workbook, . The change seems to be global until you change the preference again. Thanks, one way is to add this code in your sheet code Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1).Activate End Sub play with it. Cesar Zapata John wrote: > I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after > you enter. I would like to ...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Exract Data And Error Msg
ERROR MSG: Microsoft Excel cannot determine which row in your list or selection contains column labels which are required for this operation I can’t figure out why: The names of my Columns are as follows: ITEM QTY DAYS TOTAL I formatted them as Text. How do I make Excel know they are column labels and furthermore… I am composing an invoice for my rental business. I have set up a sheet with all the items that I rent. The cost of each item is determined by the number of items time the number of days rented. I would like to extract, to a separate location,(sheet 2) only the items that we...

How do you import data from one Excel document to another?
Hey everyone, I work at a school and I'm trying to update their attendance reports from hand written to excel, but I'm running into several problems. For one, I need it to be able to calculate how many "Ab"s (absents) there are in the worksheet (for the individual student's attendance page). And THEN, I need to have the sum show up on a completely new document (for the overall attendance report). Is that possible? I've fooled around with data importing and several other things, but I'm just too new at this. If what I'm asking is possible, can anyone he...

Copy & Paste Data from Web into Excel
When I do the above & use Vlookup for numerical data the numeric data is not recognised, although some data are in another excel workbook. How can I sort the data from the web so that I can do a proper vlookup What looks like a numeric field is actually text. This trick often works: In an empty cell enter the value 1 and copy it Select the offending numbers and use Edit/Paste Special->multiply Delete the cell with the 1 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Kelvin Pakaree" <k.pakaree@credcor.co.za> wrote in mes...

trouble changing data type
I am running MS Access 2007 on Windows XP Professional 2002 (SP2). I need to change the data type of a single field in a table containing just over 1.4M records in order to link it with another table and run a Make-Table Query, but Access is telling me I do not have enough memory to change the data type. I have 1GB of RAM and a Pentium 4, 2.79 GHz processor. Am I out of luck based on the equiptment I am working with, or is there a way around this? Much appreciated. -- Kevin Philadelphia, PA First backup your database. Next Compact and Repair. Third add the new field datatype. C...

data labels disappear from graph when i close the worksheet
I have added datalabels to a bar graph. But they go away when i close the worksheet despite having saved the changes. Could any one elt me know why this is happening? Thanks ...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...

Changing font size in data validation drop-down lists
In Excel 2003, I created the value list on a separate worksheet and labled the range so I could use it in the data validation wizard on a different worksheet. The list is working fine; however, the font size in the drop-down list is too small to comfortably read. So far, I have tried: Making the font in the list larger. Formatting larger font size in the active cell with the drop-down button And, creating the list on the same worksheet. All three remedies have not increased the size of the font in the drop-down list. Suggestions are welcome. Great Optimism, Dutch Driver There is n...

Combining Pivot Tables
Hi All, I have a data set of around 100,000 rows which I have imported into excel in two sheets (~50,000 rows each). The data is not in a format that excel can easily parse into a pivot table directly from the source - it requires some formulae in excel to be able to use a pivot table. I have used a pivot table on each of those sheets to summarise the data, and that works fine. However, I would like to be able to get a single summary pivot table from the two sheets (or from the two pivot tables). Is that possible, and if so, how do I go about it? Thanks, Alan. "Alan" <...